The TV Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Just started watching Firefly after all these years of hearing how great it is. Whilst I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far, the whole 'western in space'  thing was taken to stupid lengths. It was like someone literally just said "cowboys in space would be so cool!!!!!!!!", and didn't really think it through. I can get on board with western overtones given the fact that (MINOR SPOILER ALERT!) the outer planets have just recently been terraformed and that it's a new frontier so to speak, far away from the main areas of human civilisation. However, when there's people walking around in literal wild west outfits (top hats and parasols?) that look like they just walked out of 1875 is where it starts to come apart for me. Why are people in the 2500s dressed like people from 700 years ago for everyday wear?

Thank god the characters and settings are interesting.

And that's why it was cancelled faster then you could say "created by Joss Whedon" :) Seriously in my opinion the only worthwhile thing he ever did was Buffy and even that only had 3 good seasons plus a couple of decent episodes at the end of season 6. In case any of you were wondering the good seasons are 1, 2, and 5.

• 2 weeks later...

And that's why it was cancelled faster then you could say "created by Joss Whedon" :) Seriously in my opinion the only worthwhile thing he ever did was Buffy and even that only had 3 good seasons plus a couple of decent episodes at the end of season 6. In case any of you were wondering the good seasons are 1, 2, and 5.

Never really got into Buffy.

He's got a knack for creating likeable characters. His premises are goofy, but I think that's part of the appeal. I liked Firefly and Dollhouse, never really got into Buffy or Angel. I'm not sure why Firefly receives the level of cult devotion that it does, and I think it's unfortunate because a lot of new viewers come to it expecting more than they get. I don't think it should have been canceled so quickly. 

Im kinda obsessed with it. But i guess thats because im really pro lgbtq and im a woman, hah. Its pretty female oriented, but i dont see why guys couldnt enjoy it. Its a fun type of drama. See, i cant really watch our tv shows! I mean from my country. It just seems weird, maybe because mainly they suck and we dont have plenty of them either. : P

I'm always willing to give a new show a chance. Sadly I'm often not impressed - Penny Dreadful, Sons Of Anarchy, Arrow, Gotham, none of those shows have really managed to catch my attention. I love Game Of Thrones, loved Breaking Bad, quite enjoyed the few episodes I've seen of The Borgias, liked the first season of Spartacus, Loved Doctor Who until Peter Capaldi came on board. Australia has very few decent shows - mostly awful soap operas and "reality" tv shows. Wentworth is pretty much the only decent series we have right now.

Oh come on. Sons of anarchy is just great. How did you not like it? Besides from being a great show, the ending didnt disappoint, unlike Dexter god dammit. i cant wait for The walking dead to be back. Game of thrones was a bit boring this season, the sand snakes were ridiculous, basically the last episode was the whole season. And i hate what they did with Arya and Sansa.

I was actually interested with Arya's development this season. I haven't cared one bit about Sansa from the start of the show but yeah that whole rape scene was disturbing. It was a very slow season but so much happens in the first four I guess it had to happen. Killing Jon Snow I did not see that coming.

Well Arya does have an interesting story but i just dont understand the whole faceless god concept, or better said, i simply dont like it. I mean, she finally does something thats beyond awesome and gets punished for it because "its not on her to take his life" or whatever. Screw that. And now she is gonna be blind? I cant see anything good coming from that. Hope she doesnt become a stoic priestess, i always imagined her as a strong female character, physically as well. I agree, Sansa has done nothing but sucked the whole time and this still hasnt changed. That rape thing was just horrible, because they showed her as gaining a new outlook on life and as a more empowered woman in the scenes with Littlefinger (that scene where she walks down the stairs like "i own this shit" : D) and then what happens, she becomes a victim again. It would be way better for Sansa, now becoming a woman, if she could just own the situation with Ramsey, give him what he wants, gained his trust and eventually kill the bastard or something.  : P but noo, lets just put in another rape scene. I kind of expected that Snow thing to happen, because ive read way too many spoilers so far (ive only read the first book) but i didnt see it coming now. But i would like to believe the R+L=J could happen, so..its ok. :))

I HATED what they did to Shireen. Absolutely hated it. I have read all the books so far and season 5 pretty much has nothing to do with the fifth book. Sansa actually isn't mentioned at all for a astart and Stannis is much less of a powermad douchebag. I'm gonna stop 'cause I feel a rant coming on.

I recently started up with the latest arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and while it's been enjoyable it's gotten a bit silly. More silly than usual, anyway. The flaws in this show are bugging me more than they used to (I forgot how the characters bellow everything), but it is still enjoyable being that it's got the typical shonen-type fights.

Yep, that sucked as well. Actually everyone and everything disappoints in the last season. Even Daenerys was an idiot. But what im really looking forward is Cersei beating the shit out of that priestess in the next season.

It'll be a long wait. Martin hasn't even started the sixth book yet so unless they want him further at odds with the show there's not much to be done. There's only going to be two more seasons anyway as Martin is only writing seven books in that universe. I'm curious as to what happened with Bran and Riccon. All of season 4 was about them but then they don't appear once in season 5?

Im guessing theyll be regulars on season 6. I need to catch up on their story, i almost forgot it. :S Jon Snow probably wont be in season 6.. But im quite sure he isnt dead, he will probably show up at the last episode. Yeah, as you said, the last season was really off the book as well, so it will probably be the same with the next seasons. Martin will write his books, but the show probably wont follow them, so he will be just an adviser.. I read that the whole Sansa-Ramsey rape thing was totally different, the rape happens with another girl who isnt in the show at all and with Theon included (lol, i need to read this), right? So i guess this is the main point where the writers chose not to follow the books anymore..

Edited by Avaline
I made an oopsie.

Well that and the fact that Stannis doesn't burn Shereen, in fact she's still at Castle Black in the book. It's a big change that has irked many fans of the books - to the point a few people I know are boycotting the show and won't ever watch it again...sort of like I'm doing with Supernatural.

• 1 month later...

Still not sold on Peter Capaldi as The Doctor but at least the season premier was more watchable this time 'round. Doctor Who is still a massive headfuck though. Skaro is a desolate wasteland in Asylum Of The Daleks, Davros dies near the end of David Tennant's tenure. Now Skaro is fine and Davros is very much alive? WHAT THE HELL!!! Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

Still not sold on Peter Capaldi as The Doctor but at least the season premier was more watchable this time 'round. Doctor Who is still a massive headfuck though. Skaro is a desolate wasteland in Asylum Of The Daleks, Davros dies near the end of David Tennant's tenure. Now Skaro is fine and Davros is very much alive? WHAT THE HELL!!! Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

I'm totally sold on Capaldi, he reminds me of Jon Pertwee. It's a stretch to say Skaro is fine, it is as I recall it from the Tom Baker era. Having Missy and Clara die casually in the season opening is lame, as clearly they are not apt to be most sincerely dead. I imagine the 'Splainin' will be brief. I'm glad it's back up and running. 

It just doesn't seem like Capaldi has made the role his just yet. That's what I meant by fine though Skaro is once more crawling with Daleks. Have to agree casually killing Missy and Clara seemed almost like an afterthought. "How can we make the Daleks seem more threatening then before?" "Oh I know we'll have them kill two main characters that will be saved in the very next episode.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say the writers on Doctor Who have upped their game remarkably for this series.  4 episodes in and I am hooked on this series with a near Tennant-esque appetite.  Capaldi still struggles with the character a lot I think, he over eggs the obscure and edgy side of things yet somehow has the sense of detachment with basic human emotions represented perfectly in odd moments here and there.  I do think the Clara/Doctor relationship is working better this series also, they just seem to have more appropriate dialogue and interaction than in previous outings.

The re-invention of the Master as Missy is brilliant and the character is played fantastically well also I think.  Underneath all that disregard for life in general is someone genuinely battling with their feelings for an old friend and fellow time lord.  Great bit of casting.