The TV Thread

RelentlessOblivion

On 9/23/2021 at 12:43 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I've never seen Big Train, but I have been collecting Red Dwarf stuff since the days of VHS.

I find that I tend to go through stages of following people rather than shows. It doesn't just happen with comedies, but using them as an example, I'll get the urge to watch Black Adder so I'll watch them and then watch whatever else I can find of Rowan's. Or I'll watch something with Hugh Laurie and then watch everything of his I can get. There are so many shows these guys did that I can spend ages just watching one person.

Comedians like Sean Lock, Johnny Vegas and Bill Bailey are the same, I can get lost on Youtube just looking at clips of those guys.

We do have some comedians like that In Oz, but many of ours don't translate well to an overseas audience. Tim Minchen however is an exception, he's brilliant, although often people do get offended by his chosen topic.

red dwarf is brilliant imo too. ive overwatched it to point of needing break from it. id sign up on brit box to watch it again as been few years since i watched it. 

which series do you like. do you have any favourite episodes?

ive met craig charles aka lister. shook the mans hand. top bloke. 

I over watched it to the point of knowing episodes in the first four series word for word. I too had to give it a break before it got to the point of getting sick of it.

For individual episodes I like Waiting For God, Confidence and Paranoia, Queeg, Backwards and Gunmen of the Apocalypse

As a whole series I liked VIII which I thought flowed really well with each other.

But there is so many brilliant one liners scattered through out all the episodes that it makes all of them worth watching. Johnny Vegas as the Crit Cop dressed head to toe in a pink cop's uniform in Timewave was hilarious.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I over watched it to the point of knowing episodes in the first four series word for word. I too had to give it a break before it got to the point of getting sick of it.

For individual episodes I like Waiting For God, Confidence and Paranoia, Queeg, Backwards and Gunmen of the Apocalypse

As a whole series I liked VIII which I thought flowed really well with each other.

But there is so many brilliant one liners scattered through out all the episodes that it makes all of them worth watching. Johnny Vegas as the Crit Cop dressed head to toe in a pink cop's uniform in Timewave was hilarious.

yeah the early series were great. that first episode where dave wakes up from hybernation is classic.lister asks who survived. holly mentions  "there all dead dave." after lister mentions  the whole crew practically 😁the penny drops and realises hes the only one left well not quite. so funny in a black way. 

backwards was always a favourite too, cat has a surprise when he does a shit in that episode,im pleased it was him and not me😂  gunmen of the apocalypse is my peak for the show. imo it was never quite as good after. there names were so funny in that episode.

later episodes have there moments but somehow does not work as well imo overall as episodes. dont remember the johnny vegas bit but sounds funny 😁

series 8 will google that cant remember whats in that. is that ace rimmer one

The look on the Cat's face when he has that shit is brilliant. He's such a visual actor. So many times it's been his actions or facial expressions that have made a scene work. There is also so many show stealing scenes. One of the most stand out scenes for me was in the latest series when they found Holly's boot disk. Just the image of them finding the disk then suddenly working out what 'that' hole was for worked brilliantly.

I think later seasons are like later albums from old bands. People have a tendency to remember the good old days and why they fell in love with the previous offering. Along comes a new one and it's immediately different due to time, age, and other factors and it automatically doesn't sit well. I remember reading about Series IX (Back To Earth) well before it came out and things just didn't seem like the old Dwarf and while I had every intention of buying it on DVD I never felt like it was going to be a classic. I still don't think it's the best but I appreciate it more now that I've watched it with less of a preconceived idea about what was going to happen.

Series 8 starts with the nanonbots recreating RD and the original crew, then Listie and Co get jailed. From there they meet the virus that eats clothes and Casandra, Kryten becomes the star of Krtyie TV and then we meet Pete before the metal eating virus eats RD and the crew with Krissie have to recreate the universe.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:25 PM, KillaKukumba said:

The look on the Cat's face when he has that shit is brilliant. He's such a visual actor. So many times it's been his actions or facial expressions that have made a scene work. There is also so many show stealing scenes. One of the most stand out scenes for me was in the latest series when they found Holly's boot disk. Just the image of them finding the disk then suddenly working out what 'that' hole was for worked brilliantly.

I think later seasons are like later albums from old bands. People have a tendency to remember the good old days and why they fell in love with the previous offering. Along comes a new one and it's immediately different due to time, age, and other factors and it automatically doesn't sit well. I remember reading about Series IX (Back To Earth) well before it came out and things just didn't seem like the old Dwarf and while I had every intention of buying it on DVD I never felt like it was going to be a classic. I still don't think it's the best but I appreciate it more now that I've watched it with less of a preconceived idea about what was going to happen.

Series 8 starts with the nanonbots recreating RD and the original crew, then Listie and Co get jailed. From there they meet the virus that eats clothes and Casandra, Kryten becomes the star of Krtyie TV and then we meet Pete before the metal eating virus eats RD and the crew with Krissie have to recreate the universe.

Your right the cat is a very visual actor, it's obvious but missed it. Alot of his humour is from something he does visually. Think he may have come from professional dance background. That make sense if was true. Remember that one where they all do that dance routine in early series song was if memory correct tongue tied . I was not expecting that. 😁 Dwayne Dibley was a classic. 

Not seen back to earth but probably worth a go.Your right about later series. There alot better if you try not to compare to the early ones. There still funny though. 

Series 8 your right. As far as I can tell the story arc works very. There all connected to an overall story. At the time I just wanted more of before which was a load of funny non connected adventures.  

Your right about the visual expressions of cat in red dawrf. The facial expressions and actions say alot imo. He does not have to say so much to be funny as all the non verbal stuff has done it imo

There's a really good interview with Danny on the extras for Back to Earth (I think it was) where they talk about his role, the way he tested for the role and how much he's made it his own. Initially even he surpassed what everyone's idea of the cat was and to see him in shows like Death In Paradise, or even Blade II he's almost unrecognisable as the Cat. He really is an amazing actor for many roles. he first intro to Dwayne was hilarious :)

The only guy who puts up with more is Robert who still has to spend hours in the make up chair getting that mask put on before every show!

I do think the long break between episodes from the late 90's to the late 00's did effect the number of funny lines in each show. But the same thing seemed to effect many older shows. RD may not have quite got it all back either but the  team of actors, writes and production can still pull it off reasonable well.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really suggest any TV shows save for The Last Kingdom, that was the most recent thing I watched on Netflix and I don't usually watch movies or TV or anything. I will watch stuff on YouTube before I go to bed at night, but as far as sitting down and watching stuff the way a normal person would? Yeah, I don't really do that. I don't have cable or satellite and don't have a TV in my room (just a turntable and my books)

• 2 months later...

Ghost Story for Christmas was on tonight, The Mezzotint by M.R.James, Mark Gatiss is in it, missed it because my toilet overflowed so spent the past hour mopping up water, getting showered again cos of walking barefoot in toilet water, mopping floor with Dettol and laundering soaking wet towels..could've done without it like.. hopefully Mezzotint will be repeated!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 1:46 AM, Natassja said:

Ghost Story for Christmas was on tonight, The Mezzotint by M.R.James, Mark Gatiss is in it, missed it because my toilet overflowed so spent the past hour mopping up water, getting showered again cos of walking barefoot in toilet water, mopping floor with Dettol and laundering soaking wet towels..could've done without it like.. hopefully Mezzotint will be repeated!

That's the sort of luck I get nat. Hope you get to see that program.  Hopefully next weekend I will see new James bond film via free offer I have at work.

Martini shaken not stirred 🍸 😁

On 12/25/2021 at 1:46 AM, Natassja said:

That's the sort of luck I get nat. Hope you get to see that program.  Hopefully next weekend I will see new James bond film via free offer I have at work.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:32 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Still haven't watched it and Mark Gatiss directed it not acting I don't think anyway..yeh hope you enjoy new JB! 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, Natassja said:

Still haven't watched it and Mark Gatiss directed it not acting I don't think anyway..yeh hope you enjoy new JB! 

The James bond was a brilliant NAT and for free from work too was excellent. Daniel Craig really goes out all guns blazing.  My brother and mum complained it was too violent. I did point out he is a spy and it kinda goes with the job😂 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, Natassja said:

The James bond was a brilliant NAT and for free from work too was excellent. Daniel Craig really goes out all guns blazing.  My brother and mum complained it was too violent. I did point out he is a spy and it kinda goes with the job😂 

Have you watched anything good recently NAT? 

Have you watched anything good recently NAT? 

My phone and duplication 😱

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Mr Bean is cool :)

Rowan Atkinson himself is a great comedian and quite versatile given how many different characters he's done.

It's quite fantastic that he became world famous for his physical acting, and then it turned out that he was even more funny when he spoke! I still hold Blackadder as one of the very funniest, well-written comedy shows out of UK.

5 hours ago, Sheol said:

It's quite fantastic that he became world famous for his physical acting, and then it turned out that he was even more funny when he spoke! I still hold Blackadder as one of the very funniest, well-written comedy shows out of UK.

For sure! Blackadder wasn't always the easiest show to watch because there was so much going on in some episodes but it was brilliant. Rowan was obviously a huge part of that but it would also be unfair to discount the entire cast.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching count duckula with my daughter's. Not seen it since it was first on TV. Im surprised how much they like it considering there 2. The quiet Earp episode was fun with the Clint Eastwood cliche voiced sherrif. as was duckula on holiday at hardluck hotel with the basil Fawlty cliche hotel owner. I liked it more than I thought I would too

I've been watching 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown. We are about 3 years behind on free to air TV here so I have to watch via YT. Jimmy Carr is a wanker and really only has one mode and that is to be rude and insult people, some might find that funny but I think it gets boring, especially given how often he recycles jokes. It's a show that really does rely on it's guests but when they get it right it can be hilarious.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching a lot of things lately but my most favorite show of all times is in my entire profile. I keep watching and rewatching it and it never gets old bc the goddess of beauty is on it. :D

Currently I'm taking a break from TV shows and stick to the very few movies I downloaded but after that these are awaiting for me to watch them all: the highlighted in green + the other ones. :)

5cRv6YJ.png

• 5 weeks later...

I've been watching food factories on Smithsonian channel. Watching about how all those UK favourites are made is something I'm liking more than I'd thought.Never thought watching how baked beans, stone baked pizzas,pasta, biscuits etc were made would be so captivating. 

Anybody like this sort of program or are there programmes that were more interesting than you thought they could be.

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I've been watching food factories on Smithsonian channel. Watching about how all those UK favourites are made is something I'm liking more than I'd thought.Never thought watching how baked beans, stone baked pizzas,pasta, biscuits etc were made would be so captivating. 

Anybody like this sort of program or are there programmes that were more interesting than you thought they could be.

We had a show called "How It's Made" (no idea if it's still on) that showed not just food, but all different kinds of products being manufactured in the factory. I didn't ever watch it a lot but I'd run across it on YouTube every now and then. I do think there's a kind of beauty in watching the machines do their thing in perfect synchronicity that can be very satisfying and enjoyable. 

How It's Made: Bourbon

Some of the machines specifically built just to make things are amazing. last year I watched a 3 hours silent doco on how Cadbury go about making an Easter egg which started at the cow and ended at the store. I just happened to flick over to it one Saturday night, If I'd seen it advertised and been told it was silent I probably would have passed on it but I'm glad I didn't.

Food making machines are often fascinating but so is the making of things like ball bearings.