The TV Thread

RelentlessOblivion

I just finished a show called "No One Saw a Thing" last night.  It was a short documentary series about a small town in the US Midwest that got together and murdered a local criminal that had supposedly been menacing them.  After law enforcement got involved, no one (including witnesses, the children of those involved, or anyone who had heard any rumor about what happened) would talk about what happened, so now (almost 50 years later) the vigilante murder remains unsolved.  The series then went on to examine the long history of extreme violence and criminality that had plagued the town.  Overall, the show was very interesting in its exploration of the capacity of everyday people to commit acts of violence.  I would highly recommend it.

My wife and I have gotten back into watching stuff for an hour or so a night to unwind lately. No real method to it, just escapism. We recently finished Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, watched three seasons of The Good Place, started Peaky Blinders, threw in a bit of Star Trek, and for the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying Frasier. 

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

My wife and I have gotten back into watching stuff for an hour or so a night to unwind lately. No real method to it, just escapism. We recently finished Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, watched three seasons of The Good Place, started Peaky Blinders, threw in a bit of Star Trek, and for the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying Frasier. 

Quite the cross-section. Good to see a bit of Australian television in your list there. 

18 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Also really liked the Doctor Blake series. Anything else along those lines that you could recommend?

Not really. You've named the two shows that are like that in this country. They're both filmed around Melbourne, which is cool. Most Australian made television is terrible light girly dramas, which my wife and her ilk seem to love. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very... I think the word is "picky" about TV shows. If it's not sci-fi, I wouldn't even bother downloading it.

TV shows I've watched more than 10 times since they were released: Stargate SG-1, Eureka, Fringe, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: The Warrior Princess, Andromeda (with Kevin Sorbo), Star Trek Enterprise (NX-01), ALF.

TV shows I've watched only twice but plan on watching them even more than 10 times :D : The 100, Star Trek Discovery, Wynonna Earp, Stranger Things.

TV Shows I'm currently watching: Shadowhunters. Almost at the end of Season 3 and when I'm done with it, I've prepped Dark Matter for watching.

• 10 months later...

This is leftfield, but my daughter and I just finished 156 episodes of Once Upon a Time (ABC).

The premise is ridiculous, basically fairy tale characters reimagined in a modern and slightly more grown-up context (the most oft-repeated line is Hook saying "bloody hell, mate" and referring to the evil queen as a bitch), but the consistency in the script writing is astounding. No series has ever been this consistent over seven seasons that I can recall. Game of Thrones went off a cliff, even Breaking Bad had a kind of lame last episode.

Thoroughly recommended if you're looking for common ground to watch with a kid between 10-15 or so. 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Also really liked the Doctor Blake series. Anything else along those lines that you could recommend?

Posted a long time ago I realise, but I wasn't here then. :)

If you're looking for good Aussie TV shows...

Halifax (crime series with forensic psychiatrist as main character)

Good Guys Bad Guys (old 80's cop series with some interesting characters)

For something more recent you can't go past the outback, indigenous cop/mystery series Mystery Road (2 series), Mystery Road (movie) and Goldstone (first movie in the series) 

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Posted a long time ago I realise, but I wasn't here then. :)

If you're looking for good Aussie TV shows...

Halifax (crime series with forensic psychiatrist as main character)

Good Guys Bad Guys (old 80's cop series with some interesting characters)

For something more recent you can't go past the outback, indigenous cop/mystery series Mystery Road (2 series), Mystery Road (movie) and Goldstone (first movie in the series) 

Always looking for something along these lines, thanks man!

I don't run across a ton of Aussie shows or movies on Netflix or Hulu but when I do I almost always check them out. I watched all 3 seasons of Wanted some time back, a crime drama with the two chicks on the lamb for shit they didn't do, and it was alright but that was the last one I can remember watching. I've heard good things about Mystery Road though, might have to track that one down one of these days. A quick Google search tells me it's available on Youtube TV and Amazon Prime so I could have it two ways. Sweet as.

Same chick that is main in Wanted is main in Halifax, only Halifax dates back about 25 years to the first one. It was a bit of a stretch to get three series out of Wanted, but the first two were pretty good.

Mystery Road/Goldstone don't have to be watched in order but if you do it's Goldstone, Mystery Road movie, then the two series.

I was never a huge fan of Romper Stomper, it was okay but to me it was over hyped and over done.

But Mr. Inbetween is great. The initial movie (The Magician) is now only available on Youtube, but it's well worth checking out to see where Ray started and what can be made for $3000. It's raw and probably not for those that think everything has to be viewed in Hi Def but it's a fun movie to start off the career of such a great character.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Anyone here watch Ash Vs Evil Dead? So sad it only got 3 Seasons but at least those were all great ?

I couldn't watch it. I like to watch demon possessed people levitate, laugh, enjoy, taunt, deceive and torment their victims, like the original Evil Dead movie. On this show all they do is attack, every demon was exactly the same, boring. 

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

father alabaster its me again.😁 if you like midsommer murders. have you seen lovejoy and what did you think? its one i do like. program may be a love or hate kind.

Nope, I haven't seen that one. I'm still looking through everything they have on Acorn, I'll see if I can find it. Tried to find Halifax too, but apparently I just can't get there from here.

Since it seems like Pommie shows get a decent run on these forums what are people thoughts on comedy shows? In many areas I think the Poms do it better than the Yanks. Shows like Red Dwarf, The Two Ronnies, Black Adder, even panel type shows like 8 out of 10 Cats and Would I Lie To You are shows that I regularly watch, most of the time in preference to more recently made shows.

I don't mean to take anything away from the Yanks with their shows, they've had good shows, but it does seem like in this country shows from the UK, Scotland, Ireland etc, especially older shows are still on regular replay here and gaining new audiences all the time.

I've never seen Big Train, but I have been collecting Red Dwarf stuff since the days of VHS.

I find that I tend to go through stages of following people rather than shows. It doesn't just happen with comedies, but using them as an example, I'll get the urge to watch Black Adder so I'll watch them and then watch whatever else I can find of Rowan's. Or I'll watch something with Hugh Laurie and then watch everything of his I can get. There are so many shows these guys did that I can spend ages just watching one person.

Comedians like Sean Lock, Johnny Vegas and Bill Bailey are the same, I can get lost on Youtube just looking at clips of those guys.

We do have some comedians like that In Oz, but many of ours don't translate well to an overseas audience. Tim Minchen however is an exception, he's brilliant, although often people do get offended by his chosen topic.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:25 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Nope, I haven't seen that one. I'm still looking through everything they have on Acorn, I'll see if I can find it. Tried to find Halifax too, but apparently I just can't get there from here.

father alabaster lovejoy uk comedy/mystery program which  is good fun. Its about an antiques wheeler dealer type played by ian mc shane(brilliant imo) who solves mysteries with his little crew quite often for get rich schemes. its shot in picturesque locations including  quite a few nice little  pubs which works well imo. ive looked if its on acorn but its not yet.    out of interest what stuff do you watch on acorn? I'm new to the channel 

not heard of halifax. will google it 

7 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

father alabaster lovejoy uk comedy/mystery program which  is good fun. Its about an antiques wheeler dealer type played by ian mc shane(brilliant imo) who solves mysteries with his little crew quite often for get rich schemes. its shot in picturesque locations including  quite a few nice little  pubs which works well imo. ive looked if its on acorn but its not yet.    out of interest what stuff do you watch on acorn? I'm new to the channel 

not heard of halifax. will google it 

Sounds like it might be a fun show for me and the wife, if we can find it. We subscribed to Acorn to watch the rest of Midsomer Murders, and lately we've been watching Brokenwood (enjoying it, great music picks) and Agatha Raisin (candy fluff on about the same level as Father Brown, although the episodes are better with the longer format from the second season on). 

On 9/26/2021 at 11:58 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Sounds like it might be a fun show for me and the wife, if we can find it. We subscribed to Acorn to watch the rest of Midsomer Murders, and lately we've been watching Brokenwood (enjoying it, great music picks) and Agatha Raisin (candy fluff on about the same level as Father Brown, although the episodes are better with the longer format from the second season on). 

its good show is lovejoy. finding it is tricky at moment. in uk its on drama tv channel daily. probably matter of time before its on acorn or brit box or similar. 

cool midsommer murders. i like that alot. not included on my acorn package 😫 will subscribe to get probably for Christmas when ive more time. was brokenwood a ian mc shane cowboy crime noir series. sorry if im mistaken.

not seen Agatha rasin but ive seen posters on acorn tv. one to see an episode of while im subscribing. probably the mrs would like it😁