The TV Thread

RelentlessOblivion

This season has felt rushed, and nonsensical at times, the fact that characters have been behaving so well out of character has been infuriating. I can't wait for it to be over. Before this season I would have rated the show a 6.5/10 - good with moments of sheer brilliance. Now I'd say it's a 4/10 mostly rubbish with a couple of good seasons which make it watchable.

On 7/21/2018 at 5:52 AM, Black Milk said:

The dichotomy between Office and Parks and Rec has always been a dividing one (referring to the US Office particularly).  I love both, but I think I may like Parks and Rec a little more simply because I found it to be more consistent in its entirety.  The Office was a pretty untouchable comedy for its first 4 years, had a little bit of a dip because of some unwise narrative choices, and even though they didnt go to complete shit immediately after Carell left, it was imminent and eventually happened despite the talent they tried to introduce.    Parks stayed at a consistent jolt for me, never lost a truly integral character outside of Rashidah Jones who really wasnt written to be the heaviest hitter on the joke spectrum. The last season was the weakest but still ended with dignity imo.

Anyone into the english comedy Peep Show?  One of the most underrated comedies ever if you ask me. Used to be on netflix but i dont think it is anymore

Peep Show was a brilliant show! Anything with David Mitchell is great. His panel show Would I Lie To You is hilarious. 

The British version of The Office is one of the all time great shows. Such poignancy. I can’t really get into the US version though. 

The Countess and I have been loving Victoria and The Crown: two brilliant shows about royalty. 

The English do a lot of things well, and television is one of them. I’m a sucker for the sentiment. Downton Abbey is probably stil my favourite show of all time. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

The English do a lot of things well, and television is one of them.

Couldn't agree more (being English) ?

Peep Show was a brilliant show! Anything with David Mitchell is great. His panel show Would I Lie To You is hilarious.

I used to live on the same road as Webb, so would see him and Mitchell around quite a lot. Which was pretty cool.

Vaguely similar (more recent) shows I'd recommend include This Country, People Just Do Nothing, Toast Of London.

Or if you want to go back in time - my favourite British comedy show of all time is Only Fools and Horses, pure gold.

The British version of The Office is one of the all time great shows. Such poignancy. I can’t really get into the US version though. 

Ricky Gervais has done a lot of good stuff. Really enjoyed his most recent show (After Life, on Netflix).

17 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

Couldn't agree more (being English) ?

I used to live on the same road as Webb, so would see him and Mitchell around quite a lot. Which was pretty cool.

Vaguely similar (more recent) shows I'd recommend include This Country, People Just Do Nothing, Toast Of London.

Or if you want to go back in time - my favourite British comedy show of all time is Only Fools and Horses, pure gold.

Ricky Gervais has done a lot of good stuff. Really enjoyed his most recent show (After Life, on Netflix).

I love the old shows like Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, and of course Fawlty Towers and the rest. Magic moments in time. 

I used to live in Balham and we’d see the dark haired bloke from Masterchef walking around the common sometimes - can’t remember his name. Not quite your Mitchell and Webb standard, but something at least!

Now that it's over I can pretty safely say Game of Thrones was quite the over-rated show. The first 3 seasons were very good, bordering on excellent, the fourth season was ok to good, 5 and 6 were average, 7 was ok to good, but 8 was an utter shit-show. One of the worst falls I can remember a show going through and it ruins the legacy of the show entirely.

I can't help but feel if they kept the season at the normal length and didn't rush things it could have been great. Instead they had characters behaving entirely different to what the show had set up, played things in the wrong order, undermined most character develpment in the show, rushed the conclusion, and went for shock value over good story telling.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, Balor said:

What keeps you from liking the American version?  Its pretty well-loved over here.

The British version keeps me from liking the American version. 

On 5/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Now that it's over I can pretty safely say Game of Thrones was quite the over-rated show. The first 3 seasons were very good, bordering on excellent, the fourth season was ok to good, 5 and 6 were average, 7 was ok to good, but 8 was an utter shit-show. One of the worst falls I can remember a show going through and it ruins the legacy of the show entirely.

I can't help but feel if they kept the season at the normal length and didn't rush things it could have been great. Instead they had characters behaving entirely different to what the show had set up, played things in the wrong order, undermined most character develpment in the show, rushed the conclusion, and went for shock value over good story telling.

This happens to me with pretty much every show, because what's often exciting and amazing about a show is its main concept. In Mad Men it was drinking and smoking at work in the 60s, in True Blood it was modern vampires in the South and figuring how that all worked, in The Crown it was seeing behind the scenes of Buckingham Palace. After about twenty or thirty episodes of this the thrill tends to disappear and the creators of the shows have to keep creating new and unlikely scenarios. 

I abandoned Game of Thrones at the end of season 4. It was good and everything, but I got it by then. I didn't need to keep making that a part of my life. Vikings is a bit like that too. I loved the first three seasons, then I found out that season 4 was twice as many episodes as the other seasons. I just couldn't face that degree of water-treading. 

For me, the sweet spot is about three seasons. After that it starts to get a bit boring, as a rule. "Oh yeah, these motherfuckers again...". 

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

The British version keeps me from liking the American version. 

This happens to me with pretty much every show, because what's often exciting and amazing about a show is its main concept. In Mad Men it was drinking and smoking at work in the 60s, in True Blood it was modern vampires in the South and figuring how that all worked, in The Crown it was seeing behind the scenes of Buckingham Palace. After about twenty or thirty episodes of this the thrill tends to disappear and the creators of the shows have to keep creating new and unlikely scenarios. 

I abandoned Game of Thrones at the end of season 4. It was good and everything, but I got it by then. I didn't need to keep making that a part of my life. Vikings is a bit like that too. I loved the first three seasons, then I found out that season 4 was twice as many episodes as the other seasons. I just couldn't face that degree of water-treading. 

For me, the sweet spot is about three seasons. After that it starts to get a bit boring, as a rule. "Oh yeah, these motherfuckers again...". 

Of course there are always exceptions. Breaking Bad was consistently phenomenal for example and The X-Files were great wel past 3 seasons. Then you get something like The Walking Dead which should have stopped at 1 season.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:39 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

It went the other way for me - there was a gap of years between my watching season one and bothering to get to season two, and it was probably about four seasons before I genuinely started enjoying watching it. I enjoyed the final season the most, not least because of all of the grand special effects. But then the show didn't blow me away at any stage, so I I'm probably not best-placed to judge where it ended up.

Would certainly agree that it's been over-hyped, anyway.

39 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

It went the other way for me - there was a gap of years between my watching season one and bothering to get to season two, and it was probably about four seasons before I genuinely started enjoying watching it. I enjoyed the final season the most, not least because of all of the grand special effects. But then the show didn't blow me away at any stage, so I I'm probably not best-placed to judge where it ended up.

Would certainly agree that it's been over-hyped, anyway.

You know the funny thing is I didn't feel that way until the show reached this season. I agree the effects and the major set pieces were a high point of the season but I've been invested in the show, like many fans, for ten years give or take. I can't reconcile how major characters (besides Sansa) acted this season - it's not them. For the first time in the show's history this season it felt predictable and that was perhpas the biggest failing. Grey Worm acted the most out of character. He's lost everything, his character wouldn't allow him to keep Jon and Tyrion alive. Damn the consequences he takes their heads. He The Unsullied and the North go to war. Should never have gotten there though because Jon could be easily swung to take King's Landing first, before going after the Night King because if you take King's landing you get a bigger army taking soldiers from the other five kingdoms.

• 1 month later...

Ok here's what I'm watching lately, all on Netflix. 

'Norsemen'. Hilarious viking comedy that I was really hesitant about actually checking out, but I'm glad I did because this is amazing. Highly recommended. 

'The Assassination of Gianni Versace'. Watching this series with the dark countess, and it's very eery and hard to watch, but just so well done. Great quality television. 

'Hitler's Circle of Evil'. A documentary that examines the Nazi inner circle and how they all came into their positions. Very compelling and interesting. 

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I can only assume ST3 is season 3 of Stranger Things which I could get behind as I did quite enjoy the 1st season. BB probably Breaking Bad which I will say is hands down the best TV show to come out since the, well since ever actually.

Based on his other annoying posts about how much he loves those shows and how he needs metal with lyrics based on them that fits his exact criteria, this is accurate.