Male chauvinism in Metal

dilatedmind

Seems to me that alot of guys just assume they are sposed to like metal, gals on the other hand seem to like it because they "aren't supposed to".  Both genders exhibit "wanna be's", normally given away by their "main stream" or "big act" t shirts and their overwhelming urge to "fit in" to what they assume to be a stereotypical group (metal heads).   When the truth is metal crosses all spectrums of types of people apart from genders.  Social class, goegraphical location, age, appearance, occupation and so forth mean nothing.  There is metal everywhere of all kinds for everyone to enjoy, and that is the true beauty of metal. 

With that being said, women being more emotional by nature are likely more moved or gripped by a given piece of metal.  They will listen to it alone, nobody would suspect alot of them to be "metal heads", and they listen for themselves.  Not to say there isn't lil sluts running around in bathory or darkthrone shirts who never dwelled past the mainstream act of the top listed acts in their "preferred" sub genre or metal 

Males on the other hand, more egotistical, and boisterous by nature.  Seem to hear it from a friend, buy the shirt, hang out with other "metalheads" and go on liking it cause it revs them up and it's what buddy likes, and it makes you "tuff" compared to the white kids liking rap and top 40 crap.  Alot I feel dont "feel" music as others may, they are just self branding them sorry selves.  Women being more "emotionally aware" I feel gives them an upper hand to understanding any music not just metal, better than us lowly simple males...

While this sector of music is male dominated, as I mentioned earlier metal is about breaking stereotypes, the norm, and unadherence to social pressures, gender or any other way of classifying a human means nothing.  All kinds of people all over love all kinds of metal, and it's a beautiful thing. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2017 at 9:17 PM, Somguyoveryonder said:

Both genders exhibit "wanna be's", normally given away by their "main stream" or "big act" t shirts and their overwhelming urge to "fit in"

Not to go off topic, and I see where you're coming from but I hope you're not suggesting that wearing a Metallica/Iron Maiden t-shirt (presuming by "big act" you're referring those kinds of bands) automatically flags you as a poser?  I wouldn't consider Iron Maiden to be any less of a genuine metal band just because of their popularity among people who are perhaps not typically metal-inclined (I won't comment on Metallica - personally I'm a fan but I know they're a subject of controversy in the wider metal community so I'll leave that can of worms unopened :wink:).

As for the topic at hand, I don't think metal in and of itself is necessarily any more chauvinistic than other scenes or sub-cultures.  The style comes across as masculine in nature but really it's all just on the surface.  It's the "image" that metal happens to project, not necessarily on purpose, just an unintended result of the themes it typically incorporates into the music.  It's not necessarily for better or for worse, it's just what metal is.  So maybe it's just natural that this appeals more to men than it does to women.  Any genuine male chauvinism that occurs in metal (groping women at gigs or whatever) is really down the attitudes of the individuals perpetrating it and is not a reflection of metal as a whole.  It's certainly not what metal is about.

• 2 weeks later...

Spot on, across all genres of music, and in all walks of life, one may find chauvinism. Those perpetrating are individuals and their actions ought not reflect on the majority who carry themselves with dignity and respect.

As for the poser thing it's a stupid label. People like what they like and if it isn't hurting you then what should you care?

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2018 at 9:03 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Spot on, across all genres of music, and in all walks of life, one may find chauvinism. Those perpetrating are individuals and their actions ought not reflect on the majority who carry themselves with dignity and respect.

As for the poser thing it's a stupid label. People like what they like and if it isn't hurting you then what should you care?

Probably because being a poser is symptomatic of being dishonest, albeit in a way that won't hurt anyone else. They're projecting themselves as something they're not. Wearing a Metallica shirt because you love Metallica is great; wearing one because you're hoping it will make you look rebellious - and you can't name a single song beyond Nothing Else Matters - is still ok (it's a free country), but on the lame side. 

Now where did I put my Euronymous jacket....

I think the label is more aimed at bands like slipknot and killswitch engage. Now I know in the past I've been vocal on that subject but my stance has softened. These days I don't hold such bands in high regard but won't crucify someone for saying "I love metal, aren't Slipknot great?" What's the point? That person likes that band and nothing you say will change that.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think the label is more aimed at bands like slipknot and killswitch engage. Now I know in the past I've been vocal on that subject but my stance has softened. These days I don't hold such bands in high regard but won't crucify someone for saying "I love metal, aren't Slipknot great?" What's the point? That person likes that band and nothing you say will change that.

Yep good point. There's no glory in running someone down due to the music they like and making them feel bad. 

Yep good point. There's no glory in running someone down due to the music they like and making them feel bad. 

There isn't, but I believe in calling a spade a spade. People need to grow some thicker skin if they wish to survive the internet, and realize that they're going to be called out and proven wrong several times throughout their lives. I've been on the receiving end of knowledge bombs many times, and I don't begrudge people for dropping them on me. I was saying something stupid or was talking about something I clearly didn't know enough about, and I'm glad for being corrected before I made a bigger ass of myself.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

On 4/13/2018 at 8:08 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

There isn't, but I believe in calling a spade a spade. People need to grow some thicker skin if they wish to survive the internet, and realize that they're going to be called out and proven wrong several times throughout their lives. I've been on the receiving end of knowledge bombs many times, and I don't begrudge people for dropping them on me.

I mean, things must be said if someone waltzes into a room and goes, "Hey, Watchtower is great and all but Slipknot are really on a whole other level."

I mean, things must be said if someone waltzes into a room and goes, "Hey, Watchtower is great and all but Slipknot are really on a whole other level."
That statement on its own, while troubling, wouldn't really register on my radar. I'm sure that there are informed individuals who really feel that way, but when people make sweeping statements and represent them as the product of loads of research they haven't really done, or have weird preconceived notions about something that they haven't bothered to explore and try to pass them off as facts, that kind of thing needs to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 1:41 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

That statement on its own, while troubling, wouldn't really register on my radar. I'm sure that there are informed individuals who really feel that way, but when people make sweeping statements and represent them as the product of loads of research they haven't really done, or have weird preconceived notions about something that they haven't bothered to explore and try to pass them off as facts, that kind of thing needs to be corrected.

I think the point of any kind of internet discussion forum is to exchange ideas and that means that sometimes there is going to be contradiction and disagreement. Anyone who cant handle that probably doesnt belong here.

I think the point of any kind of internet discussion forum is to exchange ideas and that means that sometimes there is going to be contradiction and disagreement. Anyone who cant handle that probably doesnt belong here.
Absolutely. It's okay for people to disagree, but getting butthurt over it will get you flamed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

personally, i grew up way over religious and when i wanted to listen to my grandpas music, learn the electric guitar, wear jeans to church, and generally walk around bringing dishonor on my family and feminine appeal, that was swiftly banned. and this was only ~15 years ago. :( 2005-2007ish. liking things that mostly boys liked meant i was a whore? personally, i consider that a separate matter entirely.

metal is home. metal is sitting in the passenger seat with the windows down knowing you’re exactly where you're supposed to be for once in your life. its comfort and its pain. it captures that tortured part of our hearts that draws us all together.

i was so disappointed when i finally made it out to where the rest of the people were and found that none of them were possible to really connect with.

i’m not here to shit on anyones interests but just can’t get down with reality stars, influencers, content creators. or whatever new kind of celebrity is floating around these days. 

i still live a pretty isolated life (more so in recent years duh). i never really learned how to connect with people. (i was always “one of the guys” but that’s really shit on nowadays so idk) (my mom is also a narcissist so maybe i just have issues with women :D) 

but i can still put on any of my favorite albums and let it move me to tears knowing theres a few thousand brothers (and maybe a few hundred sisters) who truly understand. no context. no explanation. just the music. 

other than that i just personally would prefer not to get caught in a pit. and a lot of guys assume you are poser if you don’t like anything more than heavy metal ime. 

• 1 year later...

I have to say I have found this topic really interesting to read and have devoured it all in several sittings :)  I hope no one minds me giving my opinion on a rather old thread, by the way.

If you look at a lot of the theories that have been put forward across the years about metal (some fair, some ridiculous) it is invariably true that the majority of metal fans are white, working-class men.  Of course, that's only the majority, but to go deeper than that I think you have to look at the representation of metal (and its followers) in society.  

Metal is undoubtedly aggressive in its approach to pretty much everything.  It spews forth anger and venom and an aggressive attitude to everything from sex to dismemberment and anything else in between.  Perhaps these subjects are just more appealing to men than to women, though the in metal-playing pubs and clubs I have frequented, I definitely noticed more female metalheads as we ended the 1990's and headed into 2000 and beyond.

I think someone on a previous comment summed it up when they said it's probably the only place men can show some aggression, beat their chests, grunt and just unleash the part of themselves that is largely forbidden in today's rather bland, gender-blurring society, where we have it drummed into us that even an opinion that slightly differs from the norm (and I am not talking extremes, here) are, at best, frowned upon and, at worst, can bring about some serious trouble.  

For me, as an introvert, I absolutely love getting into the crowd and just being loud, brash and part of a filthy, braying mob - and if it comprises men and women then so much the better.  It doesn't mean I AM that person, all of the time, just that there is a part of me that wants and needs to cut loose and allow that primal energy an outlet.  It's always given me great satisfaction that despite that aggressiveness and the desire for carnage, the brothers and sisters I have been in the pit with show great care and affection for their fellows - someone goes down, you help them up and carry on.  Those days when I got out of the pit with blood streaming from my nose, loose teeth, sore ribs and bruises on top of my bruises are some of the fondest memories I have.  

To answer the question of male chauvinism, as a man I am not best placed to answer how prevalent it is in the metal word, but the people I hung around with were certainly welcoming to female metalheads.  I think a mix of men and women add a balance to any group of people, but I always loved chatting to a mix of men and women when taking a break from the pit and grabbing a drink.  Male chauvinism has no place anywhere and I would be especially saddened to hear it was a problem in what I have always thought of as our community.  

Have a great day :)