Inter-metal hate

7YearsOfBlood

I personally dislike deathcore and metalcore. It's not my kind of music and I just don't like it. I have friends who do like death/metalcore. I don't call them fags for listening to it and I've noticed that there is alot of hate from metalhead to metalhead just because someone might listen to Suicide Silence for example. People listen to different genres, get the fuck over it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis' true, I agree of course and that's why I started this forum. I have my personal tastes of course but I think people can be powerful when they band together. Metal does rally together many people of all walks of life but we're here to encourage more of it. A while ago we had a Christian Black Metal fan! :-/ I hate some of the music I used to listen to also, but I wouldn't hate people who still listen to it now.

It's all about taste, and I don't see why a person should be alienated because of it. Deathcore, mallcore, nu-metal, etc... aren't really genres of metal so much as pop music, but I can't fault anybody for liking it if it does something for them. I try to restrict my opinions to being just that, opinions, instead of saying that Suicide Silence sucks, I'll usually say that I don't like them.

Metal fans can be very snobby about other 'styles' in metal. For instance, Slipknot, System Of A Down and Trivium are metal bands that get slated, not always for their music, but their fanbase, image etc. But they're all metal bands, yet some poppier bands like Nightwish seem to live a charmed life. I get frustrated at metal fans who have this attitude because we really need all true metal (I don't mean fannies like Manowar) bands to ensure the survival of the music. Put it this way; I can't stand Metallica but I'm glad they're around. It's good for metal.

I wouldn't call Slipknot, System of a Down, or Trivium metal, which is where the contention comes from. Nightwish are poppy, but they are still metal, so it makes sense that they don't usually get slagged as much as those bands. Popular and accessible metal bands have their place, and are certainly instrumental in gaining the genre newer fans and crossover appeal, but the underground would still probably be fine without them.

vehemently disagree with you RtC, well at least regarding Funeral Doom, tech-death to a certain extent, brutal death once again to a certain extent and prog to a lesser degree, having no idea what bedroom BM is I can't really agree or disagree as for the actual discussion we all have different tastes, I unlike Blut will say a band is shit BUT I will give a reason for it, for example: Manowar are shit because their image is rediculous, their musicianship is lacking and their lyrics are laughable at least in my opinion but they have fans so clearly they offer something that a core group of people want so meh

Re: Inter-metal hate

vehemently disagree with you RtC, well at least regarding Funeral Doom, tech-death to a certain extent, brutal death once again to a certain extent and prog to a lesser degree, having no idea what bedroom BM is I can't really agree or disagree as for the actual discussion we all have different tastes, I unlike Blut will say a band is shit BUT I will give a reason for it, for example: Manowar are shit because their image is rediculous, their musicianship is lacking and their lyrics are laughable at least in my opinion but they have fans so clearly they offer something that a core group of people want so meh
Bedroom black metal isn't really a subgenre, it's more a derogatory term for mostly one man DIY black metal bands that put up tons of poorly recorded material on sites like MySpace. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It's all shite apart from Fields of the Nephilim and doom and funeral doom and a bit of death and so on and so on. There is stuff out there in the metal world I don't like but someone does so that OK my me. :-) If I don't like it, I don't listen to it, easy, I wouldn't give anyone grief about what they like unless it was in jest. Move on, nothing to see here.

I wouldn't call Slipknot' date= System of a Down, or Trivium metal, which is where the contention comes from. Nightwish are poppy, but they are still metal, so it makes sense that they don't usually get slagged as much as those bands. Popular and accessible metal bands have their place, and are certainly instrumental in gaining the genre newer fans and crossover appeal, but the underground would still probably be fine without them.
I honestly can't see that Blut. They may be different in style/structure to some, but IMO they're still metal, and not just because I like them. I think it's largely a 'face-fitting' thing with some of the metal fans rather than a musical dislike. Especially with Slipknot when they had a load of very young kids wearing their t-shirts.

The image can be indicative of a lack of quality, but to me, image doesn't matter, it's all about the music. While there are some metal influences in those bands sounds, their fundamental structures are more rooted in mainstream poppy music, and the riffs are usually derivatives of basic metal riffs stripped down to the lowest common denominator for mass consumption. For example, I've heard songs where Slipknot play blast beats and tremolo picked riffs, but the vocals, structure, and simplified variants of these components do not equal death metal.

I have to admit that I personally can't stand metalcore and deathcore and all of those other "core" metal genres. And since I am human, I also can't help judging and disliking people who listen to and enjoy those genres. However, I used to have a really good friend who was a huge fan of deathcore, And I currently have a really good friend who is a fan of nu-metal. (I also have two family members who like metalcore as well.) Even though I hate it, I always end up knowing people who like it. :L I try not to let my first impressions get the better of me since metalcore fans usually end up being good people. Plus, all four of the people I mentioned listen to non-core metal too, so I can't complain.

I have to admit that I personally can't stand metalcore and deathcore and all of those other "core" metal genres. And since I am human' date=' I also can't help judging and disliking people who listen to and enjoy those genres. However, I used to have a really good friend who was a huge fan of deathcore, And I currently have a really good friend who is a fan of nu-metal. (I also have two family members who like metalcore as well.) Even though I hate it, I always end up knowing people who like it. :L I try not to let my first impressions get the better of me since metalcore fans usually end up being good people. Plus, all four of the people I mentioned listen to non-core metal too, so I can't complain.[/quote'] Hear, Hear sister! Just because they listen to a music that personally hate with a passion doesn't mean they're bad people :L

Actually, there are some great core bands out there. Dreamshade for example. As I Lay Dying got also some nice songs. And as you said, Trivium and BFMV to. Sad that people won't recognize that, only because it makes you a poser or something when you say you like both BFMV and Iced Earth. Fuck those elitists. You don't have to like those core-bands, but at least, show some respect for different (sub)genres, even if you don't like them.

Actually' date=' there are some great core bands out there. Dreamshade for example. As I Lay Dying got also some nice songs. And as you said, Trivium and BFMV to. Sad that people won't recognize that, only because it makes you a poser or something when you say you like both BFMV and Iced Earth. Fuck those elitists. You don't have to like those core-bands, but at least, show some respect for different (sub)genres, even if you don't like them.[/quote'] Anybody is welcome to listen to what they want, I just get annoyed when they get grouped together with metal bands when they're not. I know a lot of people like both mainstream metal and metalcore type bands, but I don't, and it sucks when you go to a show and half of the bands on the bill are metalcore and half or less are metal. These bands tend to attract a lot of people, and drive the price up on tickets because of higher demand, so I pay more per ticket to see less of a show than I would like. The one positive is that the bands I do enjoy may make a bit more money this way, but then the show suffers because bands are grouped together that don't make any sense on the same stage.

Anybody is welcome to listen to what they want' date=' I just get annoyed when they get grouped together with metal bands when they're not. I know a lot of people like both mainstream metal and metalcore type bands, but I don't, and it sucks when you go to a show and half of the bands on the bill are metalcore and half or less are metal. These bands tend to attract a lot of people, and drive the price up on tickets because of higher demand, so I pay more per ticket to see less of a show than I would like. The one positive is that the bands I do enjoy may make a bit more money this way, but then the show suffers because bands are grouped together that don't make any sense on the same stage.[/quote'] Hmm, that's a good point, never thought about that. When I go to a festival or concert I just look what bands are playing that I like. And I never really think about 'aah, thats metalcore'. And even if there plays a band I don't like, I go get a beer or something.

Anybody is welcome to listen to what they want' date=' I just get annoyed when they get grouped together with metal bands when they're not. I know a lot of people like both mainstream metal and metalcore type bands, but I don't, and it sucks when you go to a show and half of the bands on the bill are metalcore and half or less are metal. These bands tend to attract a lot of people, and drive the price up on tickets because of higher demand, so I pay more per ticket to see less of a show than I would like. The one positive is that the bands I do enjoy may make a bit more money this way, but then the show suffers because bands are grouped together that don't make any sense on the same stage.[/quote'] This is my favorite fucking post ever. I'm going to Bloodstock this year, which is a HEAVY METAL FESTIVAL. HEAVY METAL. Not metalcore. Heavy metal. They've already booked a few deathcore bands for the main stage. I know people have varying tastes but don't put -core bands into a metal festival. Please.

Isn't that a bit like saying I don't want to here Baroque music at a Classical concert? Just a thought.
Not really, it's more like having Discharge open for Blind Guardian. I love both bands, but seeing them at the same show would not only be weird, they would destroy the mood for each other. I love to listen to both of them, but the emotions they voice through their music are completely different and have vastly different approaches and atmospheres. I would love to see both of them, but not at the same gig.

I don't care if someone likes As I Lay Dying and Insomnium. What annoys me is when people who only listen to As I Lay Dying and Avenged Sevenfold pretend to be metalheads. I listened to a 'metal' station in New Jersey and it was all Avenged Sevenfold ripoffs except for one song by Death, which was of course by a long shot the best thing they played. The problem is that fans of only A7X and the like sap the vitality of the art by trying to cash in on the badass rebel image and ultimately failing because they are every bit as shallow and commercial as the pop and rap fans they claim to hate. People then understandably get the impression that metalheads are simply lying to the world about what they feel and are ultimately, in the final analysis, a bunch of lonely, whiny white boys who don't get laid enough.