Sign in to stalk this  
RelentlessOblivion

Politics

I think sometimes they are just wanting to get brownie points from the male population. I sometimes just want to say "Bitch' date=' do you like to vote? yeah? YOU FEMINIST WHHOORREEE." haha Btw JBaker, how have you been? I remember when you and I argued and now we are friends. ha[/quote'] Sorry, this made me think of this pure gold
But yeah, I'm good thanks; nice to be back after all this time! Wbu? And I wouldn't call it an argument; just a minor disagreement that could've been handled better; about female stuff as well, if I remember correctly? I assure you, I am actually a male! :P

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
Sorry' date=' this made me think of this pure gold [url']
But yeah, I'm good thanks; nice to be back after all this time! Wbu? And I wouldn't call it an argument; just a minor disagreement that could've been handled better; about female stuff as well, if I remember correctly? I assure you, I am actually a male! :P
Actually I dont think it was? But who knows, I tend to pick so many fights for the sake of funny reactions that I couldn't tell you what me and my mom argued about last night. hhaha

How did the Eurosceptics do in your election? Being in the UK, ours (UKIP) look set to get there first seat or two) and potentially a second (third?) a week after in parliament on Thursday. (By-elections, two defections from tories (governing party, mildly eurosceptic right-wing , one death). General consensus is if they do get all three of these more Tory mps will follow if they think they can hold there seats (fuck you first past the fucking shitting post anti-democratic pile of wank where the vast majority of fucking voters might as well piss on their ballot papers given the low chance of their seat changing hands at elections inbred in a capitalistic former two-party state now fragmenting/rebounding who fucking knows? due to UKIP). I'm just wondering if Sweden's having Europe (and frankly immigrant bashing) issues anything like Britain's? sorry for rant.

How did the Eurosceptics do in your election? Being in the UK, ours (UKIP) look set to get there first seat or two) and potentially a second (third?) a week after in parliament on Thursday. (By-elections, two defections from tories (governing party, mildly eurosceptic right-wing , one death). General consensus is if they do get all three of these more Tory mps will follow if they think they can hold there seats (fuck you first past the fucking shitting post anti-democratic pile of wank where the vast majority of fucking voters might as well piss on their ballot papers given the low chance of their seat changing hands at elections inbred in a capitalistic former two-party state now fragmenting/rebounding who fucking knows? due to UKIP). I'm just wondering if Sweden's having Europe (and frankly immigrant bashing) issues anything like Britain's? sorry for rant.
Well the thing is Sweden takes in more refugees than neighbouring countries like Norway, Finland and Denmark. And to note the number refugees have increased a lot the last years. In 2011 we had riots by second generation immigrants in the Husby suburb in Stockholm. Cars were burning, schools were burning, the whole suburbs were burning, Sweden was burning. It all started after the police shot a portugese man after he threatened to kill his wife. And for some reason the unemployed second generation immigrants used that as some sort of excuse for wrecking havoc. The Sweden Democrats make the point that Sweden has taken in more immigrants and failed to integrate them and that taking in more will only further elevate the problem. Meanwhile the rest of the parties claim that the Sweden Democrats are profound racists and that the quite liberial immigration policy will continue.

Oh, I'm so very tempted by the feminism discussion but I think I'll hold off for now and maybe put a reply in the What's on Your Mind thread. I like the parliamentary system, more variety often means you can more accurately express your preferences. As to your question about the US, it is considered rude to ask who somebody voted for. There are any number of people who won't shy from telling you, bumper stickers are quite popular here, but if you ask it's just considered unnecessarily controversial.

Hey, Whenever you see election results in the United States the trend seems to be more urban, democrat and more rural, republican. Why is that? Like states like Alaska, Montana, West Virginia etc. tend to be red as love but DC, NYC, California etc. tends to be democrat. What's does this say about the average mindset of the rural american?

I think it has a lot to do with isolation, kinda closed cultures that reinforce a stubbornness towards change so progressive climates tend to move quite slow if at all in such places. Big cities and more populated/condensed areas tend to harbor a big enough variety of people to where more liberal and progressive thinking is the norm simply because of the proximity of so many different cultures. Whereas, in rural towns things don't tend to change because the population itself is smaller and usually don't deviate far from whats already established within it. I live in probably the most liberal city in Georgia, more so than Atlanta I would say, and I think that's a result of both the closeness between different cultures already rooted here and also because it's a drunk haven (Savannah and New Orleans are the only southern cities with no open container laws, might be the only ones in the country, not sure, but both are considered to be just about as liberal as the south gets outside of maybe North Carolina)

I detest the brown wave of antisemitism sweeping through Europe today, it's gone 70 years since the holocaust, and just as we're beginning to see some kind of social and cultural progress such as gender equality and multiculturalism, economies falter, making people unemployed and bereft of future which, as always, lead to fear. Pfft, Sweden Democrats. Thinking of course it's the immigrants fault that Sweden don't run properly. Well, after decades of political decadence, rising capitalism and a loss of social security, it is easy to target the powerless. But it is every one of us' fucking fault Sweden is as it is, and it's still faring better than many other European countries. You think that 2nd gen immigrants starts riots because the police murdered a Portuguese immigrant? May be it could have been because their complete lack of a future in a system that doesn't bother about them, giving them absolutely no hope of getting out of that bad area known as Husby? Bah I say! Fuck the system! And hail the Satan.

Australia's economy is completely fucked. Mining and manufacturing are our chief industries and mining in Australia is undergoing a rapid downsize. Manufacturing in Australia meanwhile has collapsed entirely. Construction is collapsing, farming is struggling so livestock exports are downsizing as well. The Australian dollar currently buys just over 70 US cents and is tipped to fall below the sixty cents to the dollar mark by mid next year. What's worse is that the federal opposition are hell bent on preventing our current government passing the legislation they need to begin improving matters. It's the opposition's fault we're in this situation to begin with. Dramatically increasing the taxation on mining, offering no incentives to the manufacturing sector, and a savage emissions tax probably weren't the best ideas coming out of a global recession. Blocking bills designed to clean up the mess you made so as to avoid admitting a mistake though is downright selfish.

On 10/2/2015 at 8:39 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Australia's economy is completely fucked. Mining and manufacturing are our chief industries and mining in Australia is undergoing a rapid downsize. Manufacturing in Australia meanwhile has collapsed entirely. Construction is collapsing, farming is struggling so livestock exports are downsizing as well. The Australian dollar currently buys just over 70 US cents and is tipped to fall below the sixty cents to the dollar mark by mid next year. What's worse is that the federal opposition are hell bent on preventing our current government passing the legislation they need to begin improving matters. It's the opposition's fault we're in this situation to begin with. Dramatically increasing the taxation on mining, offering no incentives to the manufacturing sector, and a savage emissions tax probably weren't the best ideas coming out of a global recession. Blocking bills designed to clean up the mess you made so as to avoid admitting a mistake though is downright selfish.

Neo-Liberalism has taken a sledge hammer to the financial well-being of the average Western worker.  Its an economic system that has transferred nearly all the gains in productivity of the last three decades from those workers to an increasingly parasitic and predatory CEO and Rentier class that has no allegiance to any one state or people.

Some sort of new Economic model needs to be introduced by some brilliant economist( another Marx or Smith) that tackles this problem in a way that solves it in the least violent way possible.  If not I think we are going to see a lot of left and right wing revolutions in those Western countries hit the hardest by the our financial and capitalist elites experiment with this current shareholder/banker empowered model that has stole the future of our children and grandchildren's future well being for a five percent increase in quarterly profit margin.

Capitalism isn't the problem in my opinion. My issue is with the former Australian government for crippling our various industries. Admittedly there has not been enough innovation on our part to increase the sustainability of our existing industries. We also have not invested heavily enough in the creation of new industries knowing that mining will inevitably experience a rapid downshift when resources are no longer there to be extracted.

The trouble is now we face a decade or more of economic turmoil. Our dollar will fall below 60 cents to the US dollar and possibly even below 50 cents. Unemployment will skyrocket with the collapse of manufacturing further devaluing our dollar and we're still recovering from the last major drought across the agricultural sector and another one would finish that off too.

As a law dropout I can categorically state Req it is just the arts students who have it easy. For us proper students uni is similar to having a full time job for the amount of time dedicated to it. Law in particular was 3 contact hours (lectures and workshops/tutorials) per subject, worked out to be 6 hours a week for me because my eye condition meant keeping on top of a full time workload simply wasn't possible. On top of which was another 10 non-contact hours of work per subject per week. That's your study time and assignment time. For me it took longer so non contact was about 15 hours a subject a week taking the total to 36 hours devoted to study per week. A full workload for law is 52 total hours devoted to study per week. Multiply by 14 weeks (length of a semmester) and then by 2 since there are two semmesters in a year and you get the idea.

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

As a law dropout I can categorically state Req it is just the arts students who have it easy. For us proper students uni is similar to having a full time job for the amount of time dedicated to it. Law in particular was 3 contact hours (lectures and workshops/tutorials) per subject, worked out to be 6 hours a week for me because my eye condition meant keeping on top of a full time workload simply wasn't possible. On top of which was another 10 non-contact hours of work per subject per week. That's your study time and assignment time. For me it took longer so non contact was about 15 hours a subject a week taking the total to 36 hours devoted to study per week. A full workload for law is 52 total hours devoted to study per week. Multiply by 14 weeks (length of a semmester) and then by 2 since there are two semmesters in a year and you get the idea.

Even with 52 hours of study/classes per week that leaves plenty of time for the forum. Anyway, I know what goes on at those campuses. Everyone sitting around, smoking weed, being left wing. You can't fool me, Will and Relentless! 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Even with 52 hours of study/classes per week that leaves plenty of time for the forum. Anyway, I know what goes on at those campuses. Everyone sitting around, smoking weed, being left wing. You can't fool me, Will and Relentless! 

You're not even allowed to have cigarettes at Deakin. You're pretty right about the leftist thing, though (although I'm personally more of a left, libertarian leaning, centrist).

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

Isn't it interesting that at institutions of learning and knowledge that leftist beliefs prosper? 😏

7 hours ago, Will said:

You're not even allowed to have cigarettes at Deakin. You're pretty right about the leftist thing, though (although I'm personally more of a left, libertarian leaning, centrist).

I've personally smoked a cigarette in the grounds of Deakin, but then again I'm a bad boy who doesn't play by the rules. Actually, that was about four years ago now, and I wasn't exactly blowing it into the vice-chancellor's face, if you know what I mean. Actually, you're probably talking about the Geelong campus, right? I'd be fairly confident that no universities allow smoking anymore.

I remember at a (non-Deakin) University college ball in 1999 actually being able to smoke cigarettes at the dinning table inside the hall! Can you believe that? Even in 1999 that was pretty rare, if I recall. 

5 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Isn't it interesting that at institutions of learning and knowledge that leftist beliefs prosper? 😏

This is true.

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I've personally smoked a cigarette in the grounds of Deakin, but then again I'm a bad boy who doesn't play by the rules. Actually, that was about four years ago now, and I wasn't exactly blowing it into the vice-chancellor's face, if you know what I mean. Actually, you're probably talking about the Geelong campus, right? I'd be fairly confident that no universities allow smoking anymore.

Good lord, that explains all those wanted posters of you that I keep seeing.

I'm at the Waurn Ponds campus (there are two of them in Geelong, the other is the Waterfront).

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

I remember at a (non-Deakin) University college ball in 1999 actually being able to smoke cigarettes at the dinning table inside the hall! Can you believe that? Even in 1999 that was pretty rare, if I recall. 

This is true.

Smoking aint good for a vampire. Do you really want to look older than you really are for the rest of the millennium? 

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Between gender studies, trigger warnings and safe spaces how does anyone accomplish anything? 

6 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Smoking aint good for a vampire. Do you really want to look older than you really are for the rest of the millennium? 

Between gender studies, trigger warnings and safe spaces how does anyone accomplish anything? 

I said it was 4 years ago. Jeez mum, I told you to keep off my alternative Metal Forum account...

3 hours ago, Requiem said: Even with 52 hours of study/classes per week that leaves plenty of time for the forum. Anyway, I know what goes on at those campuses. Everyone sitting around, smoking weed, being left wing. You can't fool me, Will and Relentless! 

Isn't it interesting that at institutions of learning and knowledge that leftist beliefs prosper?

Learning & knowledge - "yes". Real life and understanding - "No"

5 minutes in and the world beats those ideals out of you....

5 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Apathy and passive acceptance from those "real world beatdowns" is what has allowed the cancerous ideas and institutions in society to prosper. 

I'm not sure if I want to talk about politics too much on this sight, but mind if I ask for an example of a prosperous cancerous institution?