Jump to content

The Official Folk Metal Recommendations Thread


Recommended Posts

I'm a pretty big folk metal fan. About seven to twelve years ago I was madly obsessed with it, carrying on about Odin and reading all the Icelandic sagas. Good times. 

 

My recommendations would include:

Moonsorrow (especially their first four albums)

Thyrfing 

Tyr (their first two only, but what incredible albums they are: 'How Far to Asgaard' and 'Eric the Red')

Einherjer

Falkenbach

Finntroll (even though they are trolls and all that they are still incredibly underrated. Amazing songs)

 

Those bands are definitely the pinnacle of the genre for me. Then there are the bands I only put on after a few tavern ales in the ancient north: 

Korpiklaani

Ensiferum

Alestorm!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is old as hell but I can't believe no one has mentioned Turisas - Battle Metal yet. It's a folk metal masterpiece. The Varangian Way is brilliant as well.

I don't listen to folk metal all that much. 90% of the time it annoys me. The other 10% of the time I hear its beauty and genius and I wonder why I don't listen to it more often. Finntroll, Turisas, and Korpiklaani are essential in my opinion. There are other great bands from elsewhere in Europe of course, but the Finns rule this genre.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 2:28 AM, Abronsius said:

I've just checked these out. Myrkgrav is very interesting! Just also getting into Arkona at the moment. Ensiferum's got a new one out soon as well!

I am glad you like Myrkgrav they are one of my favorites! Arkona is good ive seen them in concert and hung with the piper Vlad. I am a bit sad in the direction Einsiferum went in their last album hopefully this one will be great! Heard of Vintersorg?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MetallValkyrien said:

I am glad you like Myrkgrav they are one of my favorites! Arkona is good ive seen them in concert and hung with the piper Vlad. I am a bit sad in the direction Einsiferum went in their last album hopefully this one will be great! Heard of Vintersorg?

Yes I quite like Vintersorg, very interesting sound. I think Ensiferum's last good album was Unsung Heroes. Have you heard their new song? Sounds promising. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 1:16 AM, Abronsius said:

Yes I quite like Vintersorg, very interesting sound. I think Ensiferum's last good album was Unsung Heroes. Have you heard their new song? Sounds promising. 

Yeah it reminds me of when Turasis was getting popular with battle Metal, its not bad, it better than their most recent album, but it still is missing the original heart of Einsiferum, Jari really did add alot to the themes and melodies that I feel is lacking.

And to keep this convo in the theme of Recommendations I will attach a random Folk Metal band I like

Wolfhorde
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, Depraved said:

I know this thread is old as hell but I can't believe no one has mentioned Turisas - Battle Metal yet. It's a folk metal masterpiece. The Varangian Way is brilliant as well.

I don't listen to folk metal all that much. 90% of the time it annoys me. The other 10% of the time I hear its beauty and genius and I wonder why I don't listen to it more often. Finntroll, Turisas, and Korpiklaani are essential in my opinion. There are other great bands from elsewhere in Europe of course, but the Finns rule this genre.

Those first two Turisas albums are so good, especially 'The Varangian Way', which I think is one of the great epic albums of metal. It doesn't get talked about all that much anymore, but I remember they were the darlings of metal magazines back in the day, mostly due to their red and black painted image. I saw them live in 2008 and they were just amazing. 

It's sort of sad the direction that they ended up taking, becoming more goofy and esoteric. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Those first two Turisas albums are so good, especially 'The Varangian Way', which I think is one of the great epic albums of metal. It doesn't get talked about all that much anymore, but I remember they were the darlings of metal magazines back in the day, mostly due to their red and black painted image. I saw them live in 2008 and they were just amazing. 

It's sort of sad the direction that they ended up taking, becoming more goofy and esoteric. 

I would have loved to have seen them back then. Never got the chance. Apparently they still perform fairly regularly (at festivals, at least) but never anywhere near where I live. Not sure what's gong on with them. Stand Up and Fight had its moments, but wasn't really up to par with their first two albums. I have no idea what they were thinking with their last album. Seems like they've had some lineup issues as well since Netta Skog left. I don't think they've secured a permanent accordion player and from what I've seen, Olli Vanska doesn't play live very much anymore(?)

Anyway, typing that out reminded me of this:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...