Guilty pleasures

Lady_Maggot

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to really dig Michael Jackson's music. Say what you will the man was the king of pop' date=' the REAL king of pop not some douche who hasn't managed to hit puberty yet.[/quote'] I disagree. While some of his music is enjoyable, Michael Jackson is not much more than a performer to me. Prince on the other hand showcased various musical talents and would thus in my eyes be the king of pop if I had to select someone.

MJ was one hell of an entertainer. Pop music is all about the entertainment in my opinion and none did it better. Reprehensible human being though.
No doubt about that. It's also true that entertainment has become an essential part of music as an art, but I still give priority to music itself when hearing music.

I'm sure he did have musical qualities, although I've seen him lack vocal strength in a lot of live performances. Anyway, my point is that I can't help but see MJ primarily as an entertainer more than a musician, hence my issues with calling him the king of a music genre.

I don't believe in guilty pleasures. I'll like whatever the fuck I wanna like. If my musical taste was defined solely by metal then how boring would I be? Just for a lark I once reviewed Britney Spears' entire discography for a music forum, and ended loving every single album but her first -- which really was just awful. I'll bump any dance pop you throw at me: Kylie Minogue, Madonna, motherfucking Kesha, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa. I don't give a shit. Nineties/early '00s chick singer-songwriters like Alanis Morissette and Natalie Imbruglia? All day, baby. Shit, pretty much everybody else on their label might be a giant pile of ass, but I have an obsession with the Insane Clown Posse. I know they're dumb, I know their music is talentless, I know their fans are a plague, I just don't care. I've seen them in concert too. Amazing.

I'm the same although my tolerance for pop/dance music is extremely low. East Coast hip hop I dig but don't own any of' date=' Blues, Jazz, Classical, folk music (particularly if it's middle-eastern), flamenco, rock, metal, if I like it I'll listen to it with absolutely no shame whatsoever.[/quote'] You're a damn liar if you can tell me this doesn't bury itself into your ear like a glorious fungus. DQ3uDVOKHDM

• 2 weeks later...

I like Lady Gaga - she's quite good for the kind of stuff she does - she has a good voice. Also, I like some of Kyle's songs - Obviously 'can't get you outta my head' is annoyingly catchy, but I think 'Confide in me' and 'Where the wild roses grow' which she did with Nick Cave are actually good. I don't mind some of Lana del Rey's songs, they can be quite interesting. I also like Joy Division, New Order and Depeche Mode. Probably the only 'guilty pleasures' are S club 7, as I liked them when I was little :)

I don't believe in guilty pleasures. I'll like whatever the fuck I wanna like. If my musical taste was defined solely by metal then how boring would I be? Just for a lark I once reviewed Britney Spears' entire discography for a music forum, and ended loving every single album but her first -- which really was just awful. I'll bump any dance pop you throw at me: Kylie Minogue, Madonna, motherfucking Kesha, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa. I don't give a shit. Nineties/early '00s chick singer-songwriters like Alanis Morissette and Natalie Imbruglia? All day, baby. Shit, pretty much everybody else on their label might be a giant pile of ass, but I have an obsession with the Insane Clown Posse. I know they're dumb, I know their music is talentless, I know their fans are a plague, I just don't care. I've seen them in concert too. Amazing.
I can't listen to any of that stuff, and believe me, I've tried to find something to like about it. My wife is into a lot of that shit, and it drives me crazy when she plays it. I can stand to watch Katy Perry, but listening to her is another matter. I think nearly everyone likes stuff from outside of the metal spectrum, so I'm not sure where the misconception that you have to listen only to metal came from. That is not the definition of a guilty pleasure, it should be something that you feel awful for liking because you know that it's awful or stupid in at least some way and you're not sure why it does it for you. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't enjoy it, but they're the sounds that make you question yourself and what's inside of you that these things work for, when objectively they should be the farthest thing from enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I like all sorts of music and rarely feel ashamed for it, but I'm not gonna lie, if I'm in the bar and some dopey 90's alternative like New Radicals or Eagle Eye Cherry comes on, I'll hide how much I'm enjoying it. Maybe its just nostalgia haha