Guilty pleasures

Lady_Maggot

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! Maybe it's better that you weren't around when these bands were doing their classic stuff. I was heavily into AC/DC, Motorhead, UFO, BOC and Lizzy but missed the classic gigs coz I wasn't allowed to go 45 miles to Glasgow. Then Bon died and the classic line-ups changed. Only saw the classic Motorhead line up on the Iron Fist tour, and christ were they shite. Still frustrated to this day coz my (much older) brother went to the gigs but wouldn't take me. The b@stard.

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! my younger brother says if Judas Priest come here he wants me to take him to see them despite the fa5ct he only knowss one of their songs, actually he confuses the hell out of me one minute he despises metal the next he wants me to show him some cool bands I can't make heads or tails of it8--=

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! The worst was the Ace Of Spades Tour-he (like 90% of rock fans in those days) hated Motorhead and slagged them off at every opportunity-"f@ckin' noise" and all that shit. I wanted to go with mates-he advised my mum not to let me go. Then he sneaked off and went him self. I found his ticket stub lying on the table weeks later. I know he's my brother but I doubt I'll ever forgive him for that.

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! Oh yeah, I remember seeing that on a highlights DVD - a car being chased by the single most awesome helicopter and maybe aircraft of all time the APACHE LONGBOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Super advanced radar which can prioritise targets and destory them, a gun with follows where the pilot is looking, hardpoints which can carry a payload of about 76 rockets or 16 hellfire missiles or a comibination of the two and the ability to drop down in a field, load and then hurtle back into battle - it's one awesome machine! Thanks USA, you birthed a monster and I'm proud to say that they are in British Army!

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!!

Anyway i thought motörhead were popular in the early 80's?
Don't know what age you are mate, but no, they became big, mostly because of No Sleep. When i first got overkill and bomber in 1979 they were, literally, the most extreme 'metal' band on the planet. Nobody came close. All the things you hear about 'inventing thrash/speed metal' are true. Looking back it may be arguable, but at the time nobody except AC/DC came close to that speed and cacophony of sound (the 2nd wave of punk hadn't started and punk at the time didn't come close to Motorhead). After Ace of Spades they definitely grew in popularity, but me and my mates who liked them (all 6 of us) wanted to run a mini bus (12 seater) from the school we went to but couldn't fill it. They went with my mate's older brother, I wasn't allowed. After No Sleep suddenly every c@nt was a Motorhead fan, and when the Iron Fist tour came along we ran a 12 seater no bother-we could have sold it out 10 times over. The gig (whole tour and album, actually) was rubbish and spelt the end of the classic line-up. Of course now, they're 'classic rock' and all the pr!cks who slagged them off in their heyday suddenly love them. :evil: I might start a thread later about the hypocrisy of this nonsense! I honestly think that 'metal' (no, I don't consider Motorhead a rock n roll band) and to a lesser extent, punk, is the only genre to produce bands like AC/DC, Lizzy and Motorhead. Genuinely unique, magical and lovable. You don't get many blokes with U2 or Simple Minds tattoos, do you?

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!!

I. Hate. U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's just something about them I can't bear! The only think worse is U2 fans - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Again, without sounding preachey-U2 and The Smiths sum up the sanctimonious, self-righteous rock stars that utterly CONDEMNED metal music in the late '70s and '80s. Younger metal fans don't realise the utter contempt metal fans were held (and still are) by the whole music press/media in the UK. Viz comic constantly put's the boot into Bono, calling him a 'twat'. And they don't miss many targets!!

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! my step dad despises metal, he constantly tells me it isn't music, hell a couple years back he threatened to literally cut me off from my friends, no phone, no computer, not allowed to go anywhere, if I didn't get over this "rebellious phase" and start listening to "proper music" right then and there, needless to say I challenged him on it, there is still total disdain for metal fans out there

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! THAT :evil: ! STINKS :x ! And he's your STEP Dad as well - what blinking right does he have :o ! But of course, I'm forgeting, metal, a musical form which requires musicianship, originality and integrity, is a much lesser form than the repetative, plagarising unbelievably simple constructions which constitute modern music, where the men are either demi-males or sexist thugs and the womens' best way to startdom is lowering themselves to frankly below the level of FHM models :x . Try this FACT out for size, according to musical experts, Heavy Metal is the musical form which is closest to Classical music. That's a real "stick it in your pipe and smoke it" comment. Well, I'm going to keep listening to the only form of modern music (including the parody which is modern classical) which stirves for...what's the word...oh yeah, quality :evil: .

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! worst part is that my younger brother listens to music with far worse lyrical content then ANYTHING I own but is encouraged to play it around the younbest of my brothers who is only eight years old and yet if he is anywhere near me I have to stop listening to my music because it "is utter garbage and will do nothing but depress him and ruin his life" EXCUSE ME?!?!?! I'm studying law you call that a "ruined" life? on what planet is studying to become a lawyer ruining ones life? my mum is cool with it if perhaps a little concerned after a doco she saw about metal

Re: GUILTY PLEASURES?!! Well, at least you have some hope then...my parents just request that I not annihilate anyone else's eardrums with my music...much. :twisted: My brother takes it pretty well when I put it on loud even though he doesn't like it at all.