The Internet is slowly killing Metal

LiakosVikernes666

I think it's sad that stealing music is tolerated and even expected. What's worse is bands that mock other bands for simply trying to make a modest profit (often with expectations of merely breaking even). That being said, this whole "kickstarter" and "indiegogo" crowd-funding thing has gotten to the point of being ridiculous! More specifically, the way some bands use it makes me want to puke. They ask for huge amounts to tour (comfortably) and record (at some swanky studio, on their own time) and offer fans these "perks" of meeting the band so they can blow the collective ego-penis even more... All while they're selling over-priced shirts and CDs. The whole thing reeks of a band that blew up too fast because they jumped on some trend and rode it until people stopped caring, and now they are left with no more money for coke and strippers.

Profit is determined by the market not ethical nonsense. If a product and or artist fails to adapt to changes in the market/trends in consumption he becomes obsolete. Musicians in metal are largely working class and should only expect to prosper to the extent their musical ability/drive to succeed will carry them, bands that take the easy root such as fan funding of their albums are the result of the failed logic that armchair metalheads deriding downloading go. The music and bands need to adapt the CD/vinyl are far outdated mediums and while I buy my fair share of medium, to expect to make a living selling their music is a delusion that is near three decades past its feasibility.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal

Profit is determined by the market not ethical nonsense. If a product and or artist fails to adapt to changes in the market/trends in consumption he becomes obsolete. Musicians in metal are largely working class and should only expect to prosper to the extent their musical ability/drive to succeed will carry them' date=' bands that take the easy root such as fan funding of their albums are the result of the failed logic that armchair metalheads deriding downloading go. The music and bands need to adapt the CD/vinyl are far outdated mediums and while I buy my fair share of medium, to expect to make a living selling their music is a delusion that is near three decades past its feasibility.[/quote'] I didn't think you had articulate and well thought out responses in you. Color me impressed. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Profit is determined by the market not ethical nonsense. If a product and or artist fails to adapt to changes in the market/trends in consumption he becomes obsolete. Musicians in metal are largely working class and should only expect to prosper to the extent their musical ability/drive to succeed will carry them' date=' bands that take the easy root such as fan funding of their albums are the result of the failed logic that armchair metalheads deriding downloading go. The music and bands need to adapt the CD/vinyl are far outdated mediums and while I buy my fair share of medium, to expect to make a living selling their music is a delusion that is near three decades past its feasibility.[/quote'] Profit may not be determined by ethics, but I favor moral practices over chasing marketing trends in any sort of business. You could cut corners to make a quick buck and most likely fail when your "supporters" jump ship to another trend, OR you could make an honest profit and build your business (or band) on a foundation of reliability and transparency. People still buy albums, and people still pour money into the crowd-funding projects, so there must still be a market. There may not be the demand that there used to be, but bands still sell merch and do tours so... the market is there. Some bands want to take advantage of the market for personal gain... others want to make a modest profit to reinvest into the band, buy better gear/recordings/merch and etc. That's all I was really saying concerning bands. I don't think Tapes/CDs/Vinyl are outdated. Good music will always be just that, you can put it on whatever format you like but that doesn't change a damn thing. Some people want downloads only, some people think music should be free and that's fine too. I will keep buying albums.

^ That's all good in theory, but people don't buy quality anymore. By and large, shady business practices help to keep your costs down and profits high, so you can outdo competitors unethically. Most people don't care though, they'll take the cheaper product, regardless of how much shittier it is, they still saved a nickle. However, by doing so, they devalue their money by reducing the acceptable standard of what is available, meaning that you're getting less for the same amount. Music is the same, and people that don't have their heads in their asses will buy stuff that's actually worth the money, but just as in other markets, they're in the minority.

What the music industry fails to realise is it's responsibility for its own product. The internet is a massive opportunity to put your product out there and hit a much larger target audience than ever possible 20 years ago. Bandcamp thrives on the vast majority of the releases on there being able to be streamed in full. Most major releases nowadays get 90 second streams on Itunes or Amazon and the occasional 2 day stream on Soundcloud or through a blog somewhere. If anybody is serious about fighting piracy all albums should be available to be streamed. The world is still in a financial cess pit - people have less money to spend. You are less likely to trust the reputation of a band to be enough to buy their latest offering cold. A stream would help (i think) to get your product to established and new fans. In terms of earning a living playing music - the mega stardom thing is reserved for a select few. Most metal bands will never see the fruits of their exploits, even those that are about for decades on end. Most artists have 9-5 jobs - like it or not their musical excursions are second jobs if not mere expensive hobbies. The myth of the release album, tour, release album, tour...cycle is laughable. Most bands are away from the scene for periods because they simply cannot afford to do it full time.

That's how the music industry works though. Like it or not making music for a living is not possible. Being a musician means you have another job or possible two jobs which are the priority. Eventually bands will just not tour because it is too expensive and live music will die. Twenty years from now artists will only ever release albums and singles. You won't see the huge turnover of popular musicians we see now because there won't be enough new music being produced. The industry as a whole will be dead by the end of this century and music will forever be a slowly fading memory. One thousand years from now a guitar will be unearthed somewhere by archaeologists and no one will have any idea what it was used for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Why does support only equal money? I will admit to acquiring a number of albums for nothing, but with out those, these bands wouldn't have my support at all. I've spent hundreds to thousands on tickets, merchandise and other items. As well as several hundred hours of my time. Are sports fans not 'true' fans because they watch a game for free on TV? Are these bands more concerned about getting their message across or becoming as big as Britney Spears (or even Metallica)? People whine anyway when their favorite bands do get more commercial. These bands should be more concerned about how their work can positively bring people together and be used as a healer, not about their loss of three cents of royalty. The music business is shit anyway and are the ones that are really discouraging bands. But you're shooting yourself in the foot if you think you're going to make it well in the digital world. Quality isn't what the world is looking for either, people like Justin Beiber never needed it. If anything, it's ignorance that's killing metal. The internet is actually minimizing that a little at a time.

Why does support only equal money? I will admit to acquiring a number of albums for nothing, but with out those, these bands wouldn't have my support at all. I've spent hundreds to thousands on tickets, merchandise and other items. As well as several hundred hours of my time. Are sports fans not 'true' fans because they watch a game for free on TV? Are these bands more concerned about getting their message across or becoming as big as Britney Spears (or even Metallica)? People whine anyway when their favorite bands do get more commercial. These bands should be more concerned about how their work can positively bring people together and be used as a healer, not about their loss of three cents of royalty. The music business is shit anyway and are the ones that are really discouraging bands. But you're shooting yourself in the foot if you think you're going to make it well in the digital world. Quality isn't what the world is looking for either, people like Justin Beiber never needed it. If anything, it's ignorance that's killing metal. The internet is actually minimizing that a little at a time.
Because making music costs money, and if you desire for an artist to continue to make music, helping them financially is a good way to go. Spreading the word and being a fan is great, but tours and albums cost a great deal, and most musicians don't have a ton of money saved up to keep putting into projects and playing shows away from home. I think most artists would like to be able to make enough to support themselves, or at least enough to further their musical endeavors. The point is the music, but "fans" who just take and expect more certainly don't help. Metal is not the kind of music you should be making if mass appeal and lots of money is your goal, but I don't think there's anything wrong with selling something that you have created. You're right about quality music not being a big seller, but that shouldn't dissuade anyone from self-expression, and I don't think that it does. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Music today can be made practically for nothing. All you need is an internet connection, the appropriate software and some talent. A minimum wage job can support all this. Most artists these days are more concerned with being heard first, in hopes for a growing fan base later. It's all about getting your message out there to the largest audience possible. If you want to charge everyone to hear or see your opinions and expressions, it's going to be a tough game. Piracy is nearly inevitable. The art world was never something to expect to make a living out of, otherwise I'd be doing it. I generally give away my art for the appreciation of the work itself. I like seeing it displayed and dispersed. Nevertheless these people are still far better off then I am. I'm tired of hearing rich(er) people complain about money. I can't afford every single release they put out, but I try to support them as much as I can. I'm taking a three hour car trip to see Septicflesh/Fleshgod Apocalypse next Sunday, should be well worth it.

Music today can be made practically for nothing. All you need is an internet connection' date=' the appropriate software and some talent. A minimum wage job can support all this. Most artists these days are more concerned with being heard first, in hopes for a growing fan base later. It's all about getting your message out there to the largest audience possible. If you want to charge everyone to hear or see your opinions and expressions, it's going to be a tough game. Piracy is nearly inevitable. The art world was never something to expect to make a living out of, otherwise I'd be doing it. I generally give away my art for the appreciation of the work itself. I like seeing it displayed and dispersed. Nevertheless these people are still far better off then I am. I'm tired of hearing rich(er) people complain about money. I can't afford [i']every single release they put out, but I try to support them as much as I can. I'm taking a three hour car trip to see Septicflesh/Fleshgod Apocalypse next Sunday, should be well worth it.
Spoken like a non-musician. The cost of some recording equipment has gone down, but it's not negligible; good monitoring equipment and mastering gear can cost an arm and a leg, not to mention that the process takes a lot of knowledge and dedication, which is why people often pay professionals to do it for them. Good instruments and amplifiers are just as expensive as ever, and depending on where you live, rehearsal costs can be high. Transportation to and from gigs, the initial outlay for CD/vinyl manufacturing, shipping, merch, paying for art and design if you don't have the capability yourself.... not to mention all the time and energy and creativity people put into their work, at every level. Glibly saying that a "minimum-wage job can support all this", as if musicians should be happy to pay for the opportunity to attempt to entertain you, and talking about the loss of "three cents of royalty" (who gets the rest of the money?), glosses over real issues that a lot of musicians are struggling with while labels and companies like Amazon and Spotify are making the lion's share of the money from selling the fruits of their labors. Most bands I know are happy to have their stuff up streaming on Bandcamp and Youtube, so you can hear nearly anything you want for free before you decide whether to buy it anyway. And who are these "rich(er) people" you're talking about, anyway? Certainly not me or any of the musicians in bands that I know. Any of us are grateful whenever somebody tosses us a few bucks for a download. For my part, the money I make selling music goes towards maintaining and replacing my equipment, and occasionally buying music from other bands I like. As far as the "art world" not being a place where people should expect to make money, again, totally wrong - it's an extremely lucrative industry, if highly competitive. And, although it won't do to conflate metal music with fine art, labels and galleries are both businesses looking for profit, which means that if someone there thinks that there isn't enough money to be made by marketing your products, you're going to be cut off from the exposure and future opportunities that association with those businesses would provide. I agree that people shouldn't - and mostly don't - play metal for the money, but that's no reason to claim they don't deserve it. What irritates me about your posts here isn't that you download music for free, it's that you seem to be implying that people don't deserve to make money off of their output. Your saying that "ignorance is killing metal" is inaccurate and ironic. If you choose not to pay for music, and you'd rather spend that money on tickets or shirts or something, that's fine, but don't try and make it a general statement about the way the world works.

All over the web people are making simple recordings with software and uploading it to YouTube and other steaming sites. Barely anything requires live instruments anymore. And this is the shit that gets top sales. Yes, if you want quality, it will cost you a bit more. But few people are listening to that now without a fair sampling. No I'm not implying that payment isn't deserved, otherwise I would expect everything to be free, no I wasn't born yesterday.I've attempting the art business enough to know it's too much competition and lots of strenuous work just to get your foot in the door, which is too exhausting for me to mess with. What I download most is what's unavailable for purchase such as bootlegs and albums not available for download. What I mean by 'richer' is that they are probably not living on a cramped dirty ship living off of vending machine food. I pay for what I can and live shows tend to be my most preferred format, but it's got to be worth it first. 'Ignorance in metal' means not many knowing what exists outside of Metallica/Slayer/Avenge Sevenfold ect.

All over the web people are making simple recordings with software and uploading it to YouTube and other steaming sites. Barely anything requires live instruments anymore. And this is the shit that gets top sales. Yes, if you want quality, it will cost you a bit more. But few people are listening to that now without a fair sampling. No I'm not implying that payment isn't deserved, otherwise I would expect everything to be free, no I wasn't born yesterday.I've attempting the art business enough to know it's too much competition and lots of strenuous work just to get your foot in the door, which is too exhausting for me to mess with. What I download most is what's unavailable for purchase such as bootlegs and albums not available for download. What I mean by 'richer' is that they are probably not living on a cramped dirty ship living off of vending machine food. I pay for what I can and live shows tend to be my most preferred format, but it's got to be worth it first. 'Ignorance in metal' means not many knowing what exists outside of Metallica/Slayer/Avenge Sevenfold ect.
Are your first couple of lines suggesting that that is a good thing? Sure, it can expose ideas more readily, but the quality suffers. Quality recordings do cost money, and personally don't want my band's recordings to be compromised to save money. We spent about $5000 on our album, which was with a reasonably priced studio tech, artwork, pressing, and payment for session musicians (we have had a bitch of a time keeping a drummer). Despite the fact that we haven't sold enough merch or played enough shows to even offset that cost, I will not have my next album sound worse, so this is delaying our working on it. I can see the advantages to mass distribution of raw ideas, but it cheapens the medium. I don't think it's wrong to ask people who like the music to pay for it, if they choose not to in this age of free music, that's their prerogative, but I don't think it shows support. I guess I'm just one of those rare people that still buys all of my music, because if I enjoy it, I think it's easily worth a few bucks. I can understand downloading HTF and OOP items, as your money likely just goes to eBay hoarders and not the artists in those cases anyway, but I prefer to have a hard copy. I know that all people have varying degrees of cost constraints as well, and there is only so much music that one can purchase on a budget, I just hate the sense of entitlement most downloaders seem to have when helping themselves to so much material. I'm not saying you fall into this category, as you have stated that you do buy other merch that can't be digitally transmitted (and honestly the bands make more from ticket sales and shirts than paid downloads anyways), but most people seem to just want to take and take from the store and expect the shelves to remain stocked every time that they return. Artists will usually continue for love of creating the product, but it can be frustrating and cause delays in delivering their output. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I can understand all the hard effort that goes into the work. Not from personal experience, but my mom's boyfriend had a contract with a major label (Capitol) and has toured around with major bands like Buckcherry, Five Finger Death Punch and the Deftones. He's was a drummer for the band Ill Nino for a short while so he's always informing us the exhaust and expense that goes with it all. Anyway, you're right. There's no reason why hard work doesn't deserve its payment. But I guess some can't avoid the temptation when they have something dangled in front of them for nothing if they're struggling themselves. 'Support' has it different perceptions though. What if someone goes to every concert of a certain band that comes by, keeps up with their news and history and buys enough merchandise to represent and expose them to new listeners? Yet they must sit around in guilt because they didn't actually purchase that one album that introduced them to the band. I don't know, support for me tends to go harder than just in the form of dollars and cents, but not everyone will see it on a sentimental level, because of course 'sentimental love' doesn't pay the bills. I preferred the hard copies myself until I joined the navy, now all I can have are crappy compressed MP3's, saves a lot of room though. Sames goes for books.I have plenty of vinyl and CD's that I'd like to add to, but many of them were bought secondhand, at least the artist got their share from one of the purchases. Vinyl gets expensive to buy brand new, but hats off to those that can afford it. Again, if anything, the internet probably has strengthened the globalization of metal, at least letting other know what exists out there however legal their acquisitions are thanks to sites like YouTube. But if it's available for purchase, great, go buy it. The metal world doesn't appear to be dying any more or less despite these free acquisitions, it's just making their voices even louder.

I can understand all the hard effort that goes into the work. Not from personal experience, but my mom's boyfriend had a contract with a major label (Capitol) and has toured around with major bands like Buckcherry, Five Finger Death Punch and the Deftones. He's was a drummer for the band Ill Nino for a short while so he's always informing us the exhaust and expense that goes with it all. Anyway, you're right. There's no reason why hard work doesn't deserve its payment. But I guess some can't avoid the temptation when they have something dangled in front of them for nothing if they're struggling themselves. 'Support' has it different perceptions though. What if someone goes to every concert of a certain band that comes by, keeps up with their news and history and buys enough merchandise to represent and expose them to new listeners? Yet they must sit around in guilt because they didn't actually purchase that one album that introduced them to the band. I don't know, support for me tends to go harder than just in the form of dollars and cents, but not everyone will see it on a sentimental level, because of course 'sentimental love' doesn't pay the bills. I preferred the hard copies myself until I joined the navy, now all I can have are crappy compressed MP3's, saves a lot of room though. Sames goes for books.I have plenty of vinyl and CD's that I'd like to add to, but many of them were bought secondhand, at least the artist got their share from one of the purchases. Vinyl gets expensive to buy brand new, but hats off to those that can afford it. Again, if anything, the internet probably has strengthened the globalization of metal, at least letting other know what exists out there however legal their acquisitions are thanks to sites like YouTube. But if it's available for purchase, great, go buy it. The metal world doesn't appear to be dying any more or less despite these free acquisitions, it's just making their voices even louder.
The internet has done a world of good for metal in many ways, increasing exposure and networking, and disseminating information for things like tours, festivals, new releases, etc... But it has also brought on a higher degree of artist exploitation with platforms like iTunes and Amazon Prime paying a fraction of the already small cut that a band would have taken from a label for sales. There is money to be made, but unfortunately most of it does not go to the creators. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Well if you ever encounter these bands in person' date=' you can always cut them a check for the appropriate amount or mail it to them if you feel they deserve more. Somewhere, someone is always going to feel cheated though.[/quote'] What is deserved versus what is earned will almost never match up in this world, regardless of what it is, but that doesn't mean that we can't take steps in the right direction, or do a better job of it. The point being that I don't believe in talking out of both sides of your mouth, which many a supposed fan would rather do than contribute to what they claim to love. I see and hear all kinds of talk from "music fans" that rhetorically spout about "brotherhood" and "the scene", but will do nothing to back those claims, while ironically calling out others as "posers" for any given reason. I'm also not sure why claims like this are often met with such backlash, if metal fans are as dedicated and supportive as they like to claim that they are, then why not put your money where your mouth is? I'm not trying to argue solely based on materialism, it's not as though I need to buy things for my daughter for her to know that I love her, but if I do, why wouldn't I want to buy things for her? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

What is deserved versus what is earned will almost never match up in this world, regardless of what it is, but that doesn't mean that we can't take steps in the right direction, or do a better job of it. The point being that I don't believe in talking out of both sides of your mouth, which many a supposed fan would rather do than contribute to what they claim to love. I see and hear all kinds of talk from "music fans" that rhetorically spout about "brotherhood" and "the scene", but will do nothing to back those claims, while ironically calling out others as "posers" for any given reason. I'm also not sure why claims like this are often met with such backlash, if metal fans are as dedicated and supportive as they like to claim that they are, then why not put your money where your mouth is? I'm not trying to argue solely based on materialism, it's not as though I need to buy things for my daughter for her to know that I love her, but if I do, why wouldn't I want to buy things for her? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Um, wasn't suggesting that I was the one feeling cheated. If not the band, then it's the publisher or the engineers or someone else that was involved with the record or other listeners that may not be satisfied. Still piracy will have its justifications like it or not and when everything is not available for purchase, or a hassle to download, that's when people will get more tempted. If artists are going to agree to share their work, then they have to accept the fact that they may not be getting back all that they put into it. The bands will still get their money and support somehow if it's truly worth it. Not saying that I like what the business has become, but it is what it is.

Nice thread... I have to doubt that the internet is particularly ideal for the scene since I have the feeling that most home web pages of bands are a little disappointing. I acknowledge that that is a hard calculus, and I do not understand the mechanics of material success for a bad. Some of the sites I am thinking of are those of bands established before the internet era, for that matter. I notice the merchandise portions are always on a different umbrella site, I hope it's fair for the artists. I haven't until recently made much of an effort to see shows, but that is the classic Metal experience isn't it? My brother and I have made a point of seeing a big Metal show every year for a few years now, and supported historic bands not in need of much support, oh well. I'd like to get out more and see smaller acts that make it up here. I've never worn t-shirts of any kind pretty much ever, but that may all change.

I haven't until recently made much of an effort to see shows' date=' but that is the classic Metal experience isn't it? My brother and I have made a point of seeing a big Metal show every year for a few years now, and supported historic bands not in need of much support, oh well. I'd like to get out more and see smaller acts that make it up here. [u']I've never worn t-shirts of any kind pretty much ever, but that may all change.
I hope youre wearing something! lol I always and only wear band shirts. But only a handful were purchased from the actual show. I wish I could get to more shows but my present situation doesn't allow me that luxury. Thats great you're having that bonding moment with your brother. Who have you guys gone to see?

Um' date=' wasn't suggesting that I was the one feeling cheated. If not the band, then it's the publisher or the engineers or someone else that was involved with the record or other listeners that may not be satisfied. Still piracy will have its justifications like it or not and when everything is not available for purchase, or a hassle to download, that's when people will get more tempted. If artists are going to agree to share their work, then they have to accept the fact that they may not be getting back all that they put into it. Not saying that I like what the business has become, but it is what it is.[/quote'] Music is an art form, and is created by artists for the purpose of self expression. A return on your investment is wishful thinking, but far from a motivating factor when deciding to create music. I can't speak for everyone, but the number of albums I've sold has no impact on my need to create it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I hope youre wearing something! lol I always and only wear band shirts. But only a handful were purchased from the actual show. I wish I could get to more shows but my present situation doesn't allow me that luxury. Thats great you're having that bonding moment with your brother. Who have you guys gone to see?
We've seen the Scorpions, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. Yes it's top notch bonding. I told my wife and girls that I am going to start wearing t-shirts with stuff on them and they pointed out about half a dozen such t-s I wear all the time(not bands but other stuff). So as a cautionary note, take what I say about myself with a grain of salt, because apparently I have about zero self awareness.

• 8 months later...

The 'net is surely killing the Music Business, as well as the Film and Publishing Industries, yet Music( incl. Metal), Film and Publishing (of, e.g., Literature) shall , imo, survive. True, the Era of the Rock Star is likely to pass. Who do we think actually made those million$ anyway? The musicians? A few. The various agents, promoters, club owners and recording execs? Their number is legion. As for LIVE performance: imo, that is the future for music and drama. As for myself: I download much; what I like, I then buy at the shows. Seems ethical enough to me.