The Internet is slowly killing Metal

LiakosVikernes666

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this whole Internet business, ex. Torrents, Rapidshare, YouTube, is slowly killing the metal scene. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's reliable to make a living out of music anymore. The only thing that keeps them moving are probably the live concerts and the dedication. Any opinions on this subject?

The Internet is slowly killing Metal

If it wasnt for the internet' date=' we wouldnt have this awesome forum and i might not know half the amazing bands i listen to Today.[/quote'] Same goes to me too, I learned almost everything about Metal in the Internet. I didn't say though, to shut down the Internet, but to shut down possible downloading sites. If a certain band doesn't have income from their albums, they will eventually stop making albums. If anyone had a job that doesn't pay, they would eventually stop it sometime.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal these torret and filesharing sites are illegal from a technical standpoint but for each site taken down due to copyright breaches ten more pop up, it's a problem which can't be stamped out and you're certainly right about music not being a viable career anymore, most newer bands will hardly tour because they have one or even two jobs to work on the side, soon seeing a band live will be a rarity as they all need to work full time jobs just to get by

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal I can only hope people buy musical instruments and form their own local bands. Maybe they can charge more for concert tickets and you get a free download when you buy a ticket. That way, you could see the show and pay them and get an album. You could also package downloads with a band shirt or hat. Anything you order from them. Well, that's one way to do it. Just a thought.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal Well, I don't think the internet is killing metal or the music business. It certainly has changed it, but metal is too great of a thing to be killed by the internet. Yeah, there isn't much money in making music anymore. I think we're going to see soon where musicians will have to work in order to save up money to go play at festivals in the way that most people would save up for taking a vacation. But I'm sure there will be a few musicians who master the business and how to make money from multiple sources of income. I think Misha Mansoor and all the guys in Periphery are forerunners in that regard. Fortunately they're touring so people can see them. I've even seen Misha say on his Formspring account that if people don't say that they stole their album, he isn't going to ask if they did. He's aware of how widespread this is. The smart ones are gonna figure out how to do this and still keep the bills paid.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal It is what it is, I still buy all of my music (much of which is discovered on the internet), but I'm in the minority by a long shot. People are lazy, cheap, and greedy, and if they can get something without paying for it, they probably will. Live music has been effected by this too, people can watch live clips on Youtube or just listen to their free album instead of paying for a ticket. It's both a boon and curse that music has become so large in this day and age, there's tons of great music being made in a variety of different genres, but since it is so abundant, it's much more difficult to combat a problem like this. I don't think it will go away now that it's caught on so strong, but making music is not a job for me, so making money at it is not my goal. If somehow I was able to do that at some point, I would be overjoyed, but in this day and age, I simply don't see it as a realistic possibility. If I didn't play metal (or doom metal, more specifically), things would definitely be easier, but I do this for the love of it, and always having to put money into it won't stop me, though it may delay my efforts when funds dry up.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal that's the point isn't it? playing the music you love for that reason alone without actively seeking commercial gain? that's why I was overly critical of that former forum goer who wanted to start a band purely for financial gain, metal isn't something you do for money it's something you do for love

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal with law as my chosen career path money won't be hard to come by so playing metal on the side is gonna be great, I've finally started to tailor my playing in the direction I want my band to take )prog/doom_ so with a bit more work I should be ready to get started

• 2 months later...

I obviously believe the contrary. Any place where likeminded people can come together in public forum, and share their love for something has to be good. The internet is a double edged sword but we must wield it for the good of our genre. Also the internet isn't going anywhere so we have to embrace it or fall by the way side.

Oh hey Murph/RelentlessOblivion, I've missed you too mate! I don't know what happened but some time around the Olympics the lappy just refused to load metal forum and I was locked out! Tait was awesome and tried to help but in the end nothing worked and I've just been periodically trying to get on ever since - and now I have! Sorry to see you of all people called "junior member" thought - you must be the biggest poster on the forum!!! Anyway, awesome to hear from you again! Oh, did I mention I finally got around to getting some Megadeth, Peace sells and Rust in peace?

• 3 weeks later...
Oh hey Murph/RelentlessOblivion' date=' I've missed you too mate! I don't know what happened but some time around the Olympics the lappy just refused to load metal forum and I was locked out! Tait was awesome and tried to help but in the end nothing worked and I've just been periodically trying to get on ever since - and now I have! Sorry to see you of all people called "junior member" thought - you must be the biggest poster on the forum!!! Anyway, awesome to hear from you again! Oh, did I mention I finally got around to getting some Megadeth, Peace sells and Rust in peace?[/quote'] Can I join the group hug?:D The whole debate has obvious parallels to the cassette tape debate of the '70s and '80s. But... I started a thread on the Terrorizer Forum about some metal fans being too elitist and was roundly castigated. "So what?" they said. "We don't need anyone else". Of course they don't, but the bands do. Bands need money to survive, to exist. It's how people use the internet that's important: Santa Clause just brought me 12 CDs which I checked out on Youtube-so it's a winner. But as other's have pointed out, if people use that as their primary source of listening, then they're killing their own scene. Unlike any other genre (except Oi!), metal has constantly been put down and tried to be killed off by the music press. We have to constantly do it ourselves and that's why we have to always unite and help our own scene. Of course metal will survive through internet downloads; it survived the "Home taping Is Killing Music" scare we had in the '70s and '80s. But some great bands may not. If you've not already fell asleep I'll leave you with one of my favourite metal anecdotes: All the record companies started putting anti taping warnings on the back of lp sleeves in the '70s and '80s. It was a cassette tape with crossed bones, made to like a skull and cross bones, and bore the phrase "Home taping Is Killing Music". When Venom brought their 1st lp out it had the warning on it but it said: "Home taping Is Killing Music"..."and so are Venom"! Now that's metal!!!

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal

Can I join the group hug?:D The whole debate has obvious parallels to the cassette tape debate of the '70s and '80s. But... I started a thread on the Terrorizer Forum about some metal fans being too elitist and was roundly castigated. "So what?" they said. "We don't need anyone else". Of course they don't, but the bands do. Bands need money to survive, to exist. It's how people use the internet that's important: Santa Clause just brought me 12 CDs which I checked out on Youtube-so it's a winner. But as other's have pointed out, if people use that as their primary source of listening, then they're killing their own scene. Unlike any other genre (except Oi!), metal has constantly been put down and tried to be killed off by the music press. We have to constantly do it ourselves and that's why we have to always unite and help our own scene. Of course metal will survive through internet downloads; it survived the "Home taping Is Killing Music" scare we had in the '70s and '80s. But some great bands may not. If you've not already fell asleep I'll leave you with one of my favourite metal anecdotes: All the record companies started putting anti taping warnings on the back of lp sleeves in the '70s and '80s. It was a cassette tape with crossed bones, made to like a skull and cross bones, and bore the phrase "Home taping Is Killing Music". When Venom brought their 1st lp out it had the warning on it but it said: "Home taping Is Killing Music"..."and so are Venom"! Now that's metal!!!
Haha yeah, havent talked to you in a while mate hows it been? :)

Haha yeah' date=' havent talked to you in a while mate hows it been? :)[/quote'] Been away due to the log-in probs, but back now (is that collective groans I hear in cyberspace?). Good Forum, really missed it. Grown up debates, unlike they fanboxes on the Terrorizer Forum. Comic Book Guy smart arses. The internet and new technology has always scared the record companies, because they can't control everything. I remember that utter fudd Pete Waterman moaning about how little he earned from Youtube. He never mentioned the artists earning at all! We just have to remember not to cut our own noses off to spite our faces!!

The thing is, illegal downloaders aren't true fans. The true fans of these bands go and buy their albums whether it be off itunes or at a record store. And every band has their true fans that buy their music because they know without buying their music, these bands wouldn't be able to stay alive. I don't think metal will ever die. There are just too many millions of true fans out there that support every band that enters the scene if they're worth it!

The thing is' date=' illegal downloaders aren't true fans. The true fans of these bands go and buy their albums whether it be off itunes or at a record store. And every band has their true fans that buy their music because they know without buying their music, these bands wouldn't be able to stay alive. I don't think metal will ever die. There are just too many millions of true fans out there that support every band that enters the scene if they're worth it![/quote'] I don't download, but I can see downloading being acceptable and effective for people not willing to pay the high dollars and/or track down rare and OOP releases. I still try to get a physical copy, but many I know will download stuff that's impossible to find for a decent price, and I can't really fault them for it. The bands no longer have any vested interest at that point, the only person making the money is the eBay seller.

I think that there's a cultural/generation thing that we should maybe worry about to an extent-younger generation will maybe accept that downloading from pirate sites is the norm and not question it. This could lead to a situation where they very rarely buy physical albums or pay for downloads. One thing's for certain-the record companies aren't going to stop it-the sofware pirates will always be one step ahead. They'll have to come up with something else!