The Internet is slowly killing Metal

LiakosVikernes666

I think that there's a cultural/generation thing that we should maybe worry about to an extent-younger generation will maybe accept that downloading from pirate sites is the norm and not question it. This could lead to a situation where they very rarely buy physical albums or pay for downloads. One thing's for certain-the record companies aren't going to stop it-the sofware pirates will always be one step ahead. They'll have to come up with something else!
That's already happening, I read an article about CDs being phased out by big labels completely sometime this year, and the comments section was riddled with people saying things like "People still buy CDs? I had no idea." People that pay for something when there's an available version that's almost as good (no hard copy or tangible artwork/product) and is free are few and far between.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal

That's already happening' date=' I read an article about CDs being phased out by big labels completely sometime this year, and the comments section was riddled with people saying things like "People still buy CDs? I had no idea." People that pay for something when a version that's almost as good (no hard copy or tangible artwork/product) and is free are few and far between.[/quote'] I collect vinyl and cds so har har :)

So guys, is it morally acceptable to illegally download if you already own the lp or CD? Say, you own it on vinyl but want a digital cop. Or you already own the CD but a super-duper deluxe version comes out with extras you want. Is it okay to illegally download? I reckon it is!

So guys, is it morally acceptable to illegally download if you already own the lp or CD? Say, you own it on vinyl but want a digital cop. Or you already own the CD but a super-duper deluxe version comes out with extras you want. Is it okay to illegally download? I reckon it is!
It is actually legal to make one digital copy of a CD so that's what I do :D !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this whole Internet business, ex. Torrents, Rapidshare, YouTube, is slowly killing the metal scene. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's reliable to make a living out of music anymore. The only thing that keeps them moving are probably the live concerts and the dedication. Any opinions on this subject?
I'd have to say that the internet has been a mixed blessing for metal. True, people are now able to hear a band's material without having to buy their CD, but on the other hand, bands have gotten a whole lot of exposure and publicity that they likely never would've had without the net. I mean, how many of us outside Europe would've ever heard of Varg Vikernes or Burzum, if not for the net? Ditto for Sabaton, Stormwarrior, Agent Steel, and no doubt thousands of other bands that otherwise might never have been known outside their home areas.

I'd have to say that the internet has been a mixed blessing for metal. True' date=' people are now able to hear a band's material without having to buy their CD, but on the other hand, bands have gotten a whole lot of exposure and publicity that they likely never would've had without the net. I mean, how many of us outside Europe would've ever heard of Varg Vikernes or Burzum, if not for the net? Ditto for Sabaton, Stormwarrior, Agent Steel, and no doubt thousands of other bands that otherwise might never have been known outside their home areas.[/quote'] Hello animal :) very good opinion i completly agree

I'd have to say that the internet has been a mixed blessing for metal. True' date=' people are now able to hear a band's material without having to buy their CD, but on the other hand, bands have gotten a whole lot of exposure and publicity that they likely never would've had without the net. I mean, how many of us outside Europe would've ever heard of Varg Vikernes or Burzum, if not for the net? Ditto for Sabaton, Stormwarrior, Agent Steel, and no doubt thousands of other bands that otherwise might never have been known outside their home areas.[/quote'] Most people in the US heard of Burzum and whole Norwegian scene through all of the metal magazines sensationalizing the goings on in the early 90's. Your point is solid though, as I've definitely used the internet to the benefit of the metal scene. Learning about bands, buying their material, going to their concerts, bands that my friends don't know and wouldn't have told me about in person, so I doubt that I would be as familiar with metal as I am without the use of the internet. Just like most good things though, people take advantage and take instead of giving back.

• 2 weeks later...

as with everything there's a middle ground, people that use the internet to find new bands, check out a few of their songs then buy or don't buy their material based on what we thought of the songs I don't see a problem with, the ones who check out a few songs by a band, like them, then illegally download the bands entire discography however I do have an issue with, I buy the music and the shirts because I want to support these bands and I'm proud to fly the metal flag wherever I go

In a lot of ways, yes. But it's easier to get noticed now, too. There are trade-offs with everything.
I don't think it's any easier to get noticed this way either. Maybe in some instances this would be true, but because of having so much available at your fingertips all the time, there are many things being recommended or promoted to you all the time, and just as many great bands still go unnoticed.

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal I have definitely found tons of great stuff from forum recommends, but just as many that I have put off checking out because of so many recommendations. As a fan there's nothing better, but when I consider that my band is just one of thousands that are mentioned on forums, it's no wonder why it's hard to generate interest sometimes. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it's any easier to get noticed this way either. Maybe in some instances this would be true' date=' but because of having so much available at your fingertips all the time, there are many things being recommended or promoted to you all the time, and just as many great bands still go unnoticed.[/quote'] Well, there is certainly no arguing that the internet can offer fruition for new and undiscovered bands. It happens all the time, even if the web is a mixed bag. Cyberspace is just like any other medium for promotion--some bands get noticed, others don't. But you're right: it's a problem getting noticed because the internet makes so much available, which can be an issue if you sound like hundreds of other bands. Play your cards right, bring something different to the table, and you will won't have much of a problem generating some interest.

no doubt there is something of an oversaturation via the internet but that just means that bands have to mix things up to stand out, bands that I've notice on here like Nevertanezra and Fabricant do that well, others I've totally forgotten because they were so much like every other generic metal band out there and its even worse on my other forum where all the bands promoting themselves sound the same

Re: The Internet is slowly killing Metal Yeah, Fabricant was great. I emailed the guy that posted here for their demo, but they were sold out, and he never got back to me about when their new split would be released. Seriously great music though, weird death metal speaks to me in a way that I can't fully understand, but those guys do it with finesse and style. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Mixing up your sound or standing out was important even before the internet.
On the contrary, it tends to be the most watered down commercial bands that receive the most notice. Pop accessibility sells, not originality, or Celtic Frost would be more popular than Whitesnake. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2