Anti Nu-Metal

LiakosVikernes666

What on earth is so great about Psychosocial? It's an incredibly boring song, even Jordison's usually interesting drumming is reduced to immensely simple drivel and the riffs are so bad that I have no shame in saying I have composed and played more interesting stuff. The composition is also wretchedly uninteresting; at least an oddball structure could have alleviated the worthless riffs on this sucker but as it stands the two faults complement each other to make the song highly forgettable. I'd say it fails even as a pop song because everything is so bloody lazy. Psychosocial, even for Slipknot, strikes me as poorly executed and terminally dull.

Re: Nu Metal (Yes/no)

Dude' date=' thanks. They are awesome. I've been listening to a lot of Bullet For My Valentine, and Five Finger Death punch recently :)[/quote'] When I discovered FFDP I listened to them non stop for like 6 months. Their first 2 albums were incredible. The most recent was a lot down for me. Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Well, FFDP have all of DevilDriver's lyrical problems with maybe 20% of their talent. For the record, I do think there's something to the use of turntables in metal. It's not necessarily a kind of stylistic dead end - I think it'd be worth exploring outside of a hip-hop context.

Well, FFDP have all of DevilDriver's lyrical problems with maybe 20% of their talent.
If you want thought-provoking lyrics that meditate on social issues and personal evolution, DevilDriver aren't the right band for you. They make aggressive, catchy and groovy modern metal to down pints of beer and just have fun with. Nothing more, nothing less. But yeah, FFDP do strike me as a sort of lite-weight, watered down American radio rock equivalent to DD.

If you want thought-provoking lyrics that meditate on social issues and personal evolution' date=' DevilDriver aren't the right band for you. They make aggressive, catchy and groovy modern metal to down pints of beer and just have fun with. Nothing more, nothing less. But yeah, FFDP do strike me as a sort of lite-weight, watered down American radio rock equivalent to DD.[/quote'] I think it's worse than that. Strapping Young Lad have some of the worst lyrics I've seen for a band, but it doesn't bug me because there's something else going on with the lyrics that makes them straightforward and explains the poor diction and somewhat banal sentiments. Mystic Prophecy also don't exactly write Milton, but they're likeable anyway because the lyrics are just acceptable and the music is good. DevilDriver actively seem to write lyrics designed to be unpleasant and stupid, written by bratty teenagers. Bottom line, I definitely don't mind hostility from a band but I prefer it to at least be directed at someone other than the establishment, the church or the author's parents.

Re: Nu Metal (Yes/no)

Bottom line' date=' I definitely don't mind hostility from a band but I prefer it to at least be directed at someone other than the establishment, the church or the author's parents.[/quote'] That doesn't leave much to be mad at.. Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

I think it's worse than that. Strapping Young Lad have some of the worst lyrics I've seen for a band, but it doesn't bug me because there's something else going on with the lyrics that makes them straightforward and explains the poor diction and somewhat banal sentiments. Mystic Prophecy also don't exactly write Milton, but they're likeable anyway because the lyrics are just acceptable and the music is good. DevilDriver actively seem to write lyrics designed to be unpleasant and stupid, written by bratty teenagers. Bottom line, I definitely don't mind hostility from a band but I prefer it to at least be directed at someone other than the establishment, the church or the author's parents.
Really? That's your reason? I'm not much of a lyric person at the best of times, but DevilDriver really don't seem like band whose lyrics should be put under analysis. From what I can gather, the lyrics are either angry diatribes against unpleasant people who have 'fucked them over' or are about partying and having a good time. These lyrics more than suit the band's sound. Surely most metal shows anger toward the establishment in some way or another. :P

From what I can tell' date=' Iceni is a faithful, pro-establishment churchgoer who loves his parents, so it's no surprise he doesn't appreciate those sentiments.[/quote'] 2 out of 3. There are things in the establishment I like, things I hate and things I feel fairly ambivalent about. It's hard for me to get behind totally anti-establishment sentiment, but I'm not a huge fan of the status quo either.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies