Anti Nu-Metal

LiakosVikernes666

But with that said its pretty damn annoying that people who aren't into metal ask if i listen to Avenge Sevenfold for example when they hear that i like aggressive metal in many forms. I cant put my finger on what exactly it is that bothers me with it tho.
Now that I can identify with. I have a similar problem, where someone who has no idea of proper Metal asks me what I'm into, I reply saying I like heavy stuff, and they say something like "oh, so you like Bon Jovi/Queen/Guns 'n' Roses, then?". I then have to smile and utter a non-committal "hmmm" or say that I like heavier stuff than that; to which I tend to receive a look of uncomprehending confusion. So count yourself lucky with Avenged, although this tends to come from middle-aged women, so that's probably why. :L

I just say "metal" when people ask me what music I listen to. Amazingly to date I've only had three responses from pretty much everyone who has asked me this: "Oh, so like Black Sabbath?" followed by "that's all suicidal shit I'm surprised you're still alive", "Oh, so like Black Sabbath I dig that stuff too" or "What's metal I've never heard of it"

Now that I can identify with. I have a similar problem' date=' where someone who has no idea of proper Metal asks me what I'm into, I reply saying I like heavy stuff, and they say something like "oh, so you like Bon Jovi/Queen/Guns 'n' Roses, then?". I then have to smile and utter a non-committal "hmmm" or say that I like heavier stuff than that; to which I tend to receive a look of uncomprehending confusion. So count yourself lucky with Avenged, although this tends to come from middle-aged women, so that's probably why. :L[/quote'] Well there is a difference, Since a metalcore band like Dead by April can for some reason win a song contest here. People kind of have a slight idea what metal is, but the knowledge reaches as far as bands like them, Iron Maiden and Metallica.

Well there is a difference' date=' Since a metalcore band like Dead by April can for some reason win a song contest here. People kind of have a slight idea what metal is, but the knowledge reaches as far as bands like them, Iron Maiden and Metallica.[/quote'] Well, that's already better than it is here in England... We're supposed to have pioneered Metal and yet very few people I know who don't already have a genuine preference for this style of music know anything beyond Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden (for older peeps) and Slipknot, SOAD and Korn (for peeps my age). I think that so-called Alternative music in all its forms seems to be appreciated more in places like Scandinavia. I went to Sweden for my summer holiday earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I really wanna live there eventually! :D

• 4 months later...

I used to like Static-X and Rob Zombie's first albums, and I actually tried getting into Korn back when Life Is Peachy came out, but I'm not into any of that stuff anymore. The closest I get is some Fear Factory and Deftones, which I don't consider nu-metal anyway. I don't care what genre one might put any of this stuff in, but I hate the stereotypical nu-metal cliches. It's a roadmap for predictable, forced, juvenile music IMO.

I like Slipknot because that was the band that got me into metal, and even though I don't find all of their work good, I still love them. Korn had some good material, and (oh how everybody's gonna kill me now) I love their album where they added some dubstep in their sound. Yes, metal is my music, I adore it, but I listen to soooo many other things, I am not afraid to like something just because it's not metal. And I love genre mixing, if it's done nicely. :D SOAD is by far my favorite non-metal/metal-like band. They have a very unique style. And I love Marilyn Manson's early work :D

For me this isn't particularly a yes/no situation. There are a few nu metal bands I dig, and lots I don't. Deftones are one of my absolute favourite bands, but they're not nu metal (aside from their first and arguably their second album). I also love Tool, but cannot for the life of me work out why they're put in the nu metal bracket. Lots of shitty nu metal bands tried (and failed) to imitate Keenan's vocals, but that's really where it ends IMO. In terms of 'proper' nu metal, then, I dig Korn (even their later poppy albums like See You On The Other Side, which everyone seems to hate), Slipknot and, when I'm in the right mood, a 'Latino nu metal' band called Ill Nino (one of my favourite bands growing up). I also enjoy Disturbed on occasion; I think they can write a good melody, I like Draiman's voice and, again, there's a certain sentimental value attached to them for me. I wouldn't call anything past their 1st album nu metal, though. They're more grunge-influenced hard rock to my ears. System of a Down, I wouldn't call nu metal, either, even though I like them as well. They basically take catchy pop song structures and throw in a pretty eclectic array of other genres like metal, punk, folk, traditional Armenian music etc. and have pretty weird but still thought-provoking lyrics. I love an Alaskan band called 36 Crazyfists, and their first album is quite nu metalish, but then they moved on to play a kind of anthemic melodic metalcore/post-hardcore crossover thing. I'd recommend them if you do like nu metal. Other than this, though, most nu metal seems pretty dull to me; nothing Faith No More and Rage Against the Machine haven't already done a million times better.

For me this isn't particularly a yes/no situation. There are a few nu metal bands I dig, and lots I don't. Deftones are one of my absolute favourite bands, but they're not nu metal (aside from their first and arguably their second album). I also love Tool, but cannot for the life of me work out why they're put in the nu metal bracket. Lots of shitty nu metal bands tried (and failed) to imitate Keenan's vocals, but that's really where it ends IMO. In terms of 'proper' nu metal, then, I dig Korn (even their later poppy albums like See You On The Other Side, which everyone seems to hate), Slipknot and, when I'm in the right mood, a 'Latino nu metal' band called Ill Nino (one of my favourite bands growing up). I also enjoy Disturbed on occasion; I think they can write a good melody, I like Draiman's voice and, again, there's a certain sentimental value attached to them for me. I wouldn't call anything past their 1st album nu metal, though. They're more grunge-influenced hard rock to my ears. System of a Down, I wouldn't call nu metal, either, even though I like them as well. They basically take catchy pop song structures and throw in a pretty eclectic array of other genres like metal, punk, folk, traditional Armenian music etc. and have pretty weird but still thought-provoking lyrics. I love an Alaskan band called 36 Crazyfists, and their first album is quite nu metalish, but then they moved on to play a kind of anthemic melodic metalcore/post-hardcore crossover thing. I'd recommend them if you do like nu metal. Other than this, though, most nu metal seems pretty dull to me; nothing Faith No More and Rage Against the Machine haven't already done a million times better.
I started listening to Disturbed a few months ago and I enjoy them very much. I totally agree that they can write good melodies, they have nice lyrics, and Draiman's voice is my absolute weakness. I can listen to his voice for hours, he completely relaxes me, especially on Divice's album. Ill nino are cute :D There was a song, I think it's called What comes around, I liked it a lot a few years ago.

There was a song' date=' I think it's called What comes around, I liked it a lot a few years ago.[/quote'] BANGER! I swear, that track does Linkin Park way better than Linkin Park have ever done Linkin Park! :D In seriousness, they're well worth another look if you do like SOAD and Disturbed. One Nation Underground is their best album imo.

BANGER! I swear' date=' that track does Linkin Park way better than Linkin Park have ever done Linkin Park! :D .[/quote'] hahahaha this is so well written :D maybe I'll give them a try :D I've never cared much for Rob Zombie but I like Manson a lot, even as a personality, he says a lot of smart things. And yea I also wouldn't say he is nu metal but honestly when it comes to bands like that, if I don't know where to put them, I call them nu :D Sinful, I'm sorry I have to say this but Linkin Park have absolutely nothing to do with metal, not even nu metal. I understand why you like them, I myself worshiped them when their first album came out and still love to listen to it, and if they had continued making music like that, they would maybe be nu metal, but not with the music they make today. I am not saying you shouldn't like them or that they suck, I'm just saying they embraced pop a long time ago. And I have been following their work for years so I'm not saying this just to write a longer post.