Anti Nu-Metal

LiakosVikernes666

Respect what I am about to say, I am just expressing my humble opinion. I believe that this is one of the worst genres in Metal HISTORY!!! The whole Hip-Hop influence wants me to freaking throw up my intestines. I also think that this is the kind of genre that only 15 year olds tend to listen to. It's an absolute Mainstream genre that humiliates the 40+ years of Metal History. You are welcome to express your opinion which I will give my best try to respect, since this is a nu-metal category, which means that nu-metal fans will answer.

Re: Anti Nu-Metal I'm much more anti 9th generation Darkthrone/Burzum/Blasphemy clones, the black/death scene is plagued by shitty third world bedroom bm acts, boring two chord war metal bands, and pointless releases clogging distro shelves. Death metal suffers from the same tedium you're either a shitty Incantatin derived band, a Suffocation clone, or a slamming br00tal Devourment baby, its gotten so bad I don't even bother checking out as much new material as I used to.

• 5 months later...

I don't like Nu-metal also... There may be people liking it, but itself gets me annoyed. My best example always is Rage Against the Machine. At first I could listen to Bulls on the Parade (<= Not really sure about the name of the song), but when I listened to Renegades of Funk... Man, it didn't feel like metal at all! There was a lack of something... I don't know, but I wasn't satisfied with it. I got tired pretty soon.

I think nu metal had potential early on with experimenting with different sounds, like seen in Incubus' S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Fungus Amongus, and Enjoy Incubus Vol.1 EP, as well as Mudvayne's first album. Even Korn was pretty unique when they first came out. The problem is that it stagnated pretty quickly and soon became a flanderized parody of its worst attributes.

I'm much more anti 9th generation Darkthrone/Burzum/Blasphemy clones' date=' the black/death scene is plagued by shitty third world bedroom bm acts, boring two chord war metal bands, and pointless releases clogging distro shelves. Death metal suffers from the same tedium you're either a shitty Incantatin derived band, a Suffocation clone, or a slamming br00tal Devourment baby, its gotten so bad I don't even bother checking out as much new material as I used to.[/quote'] While I'm not a big black metal person, you make a good point here. Derivative, copy-cat, boring music can be found in every sub-genre of metal, it's just that nu-metal happened to make it big. And extreme metal does seem to be plagued with individuals who are more concerned with sounding brutal and underground rather than making good music; lo-fi production is fine, but one shouldn't deliberately try to make their recordings sound like shit. Also, I'm really tired of death metal bands that are little more that a blast beat monotone over a vocalist that sounds like a leaky toilet.

Re: Anti Nu-Metal

I think nu metal had potential early on with experimenting with different sounds, like seen in Incubus' S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Fungus Amongus, and Enjoy Incubus Vol.1 EP, as well as Mudvayne's first album. Even Korn was pretty unique when they first came out. The problem is that it stagnated pretty quickly and soon became a flanderized parody of its worst attributes. While I'm not a big black metal person, you make a good point here. Derivative, copy-cat, boring music can be found in every sub-genre of metal, it's just that nu-metal happened to make it big. And extreme metal does seem to be plagued with individuals who are more concerned with sounding brutal and underground rather than making good music; lo-fi production is fine, but one shouldn't deliberately try to make their recordings sound like shit. Also, I'm really tired of death metal bands that are little more that a blast beat monotone over a vocalist that sounds like a leaky toilet.
Nu-metal was different, but so was disco when it started, that doesn't mean it was good. I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it were entirely metal with a new and unique outlook, or entirely non metal, but it wanted to be a little bit of everything while being good at nothing. I'm sure some of those bands could have succeeded as metal, hardcore, hip-hop, techno, funk, or rock groups, but failed miserably by trying to combine them all with their most gimmicky and banal elements. Just because I play a couple of bagpipe notes on my album doesn't mean I have any experience with or frame of reference for Celtic folk music, and without knowing what the fuck you're doing, adding it to your totally unrelated and also uninformed base of music produces something random and idiotic, in this case to an extreme degree. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Even Korn was pretty unique when they first came out.
Exactly. I often have to point out too people who seem to try and discredit nu-metal from the genre that back in 94' before they became well known there is footage of them at the Milwaukee Metalfest and the minute they kicked into "Blind" the entire crowd (which was very large and all metalheads) were moshing and jumping up and down. So, before they hit it mainstream they were VERY accepted by the metal masses. The funny thing is i find that more metal musicians/bands are less concerned about nu-metal or other styles of music than the fans are. I remember seeing the Tattoo the Earth festival in 2000 and although im not a Slipknot fan they were the headliners over Slayer. So i basically watched Slayer and then went to the car while a couple of my friends stayed behind to watch Knot. At first i didnt understand why Slayer wasnt the headliner and then someone told me that the guys from Slayer were Slipknot fans and they were alternating headlining on that tour. And i know guys like Alexi Laiho from COB is a glam rock fan (which i do enjoy many 80's hair rock bands from my era) so again i just find that the fans have a bigger problem with the new generation of metal acts than the actual bands do who have been around for a while. While i personally love my share of BM i cant stand Mayhem at all, just cant get into them. And if i was asked what i wanted to listen too between Korn or Mayhem i would take Korn everyday of the week. Shit, i would actually listen to Limp Bizkit over Mayhem if i had to be honest. At the end of the day the fact that i like nu-metal does not mean i consider it the cream of the crop in the metal genre. I still prefer listening to more extreme metal bands over the nu-metal genre but do have a soft spot for it. Ive learned over the years that ive grown to like many different types of music (except for country) and that you cant always please everyone which i find out on my radio shows but it is what it is and i like what i like. At the end of the day if you simply dont like something dont listen to it. Its really that simple. There are a slew of bands i cant stand both in nu-metal and the rest of the metal genre and i just dont listen to them. If other people do than let them knock themselves out.

I listen to a little bit of everything including some nu-metal. And no' date=' i dont care what anyone thinks about it. When it comes to metal in general there are some good bands and some bad ones, just depends on one's tastes.[/quote'] Exactly. If you like it, listen to it. If you don't, then don't. I'm massively into BM at the moment, but there's more than a few rubbish bands in that genre. Same for Death Metal, Thrash and any other genre we'd care to name. Personally, I don't listen to much Nu Metal, but there are odd songs here and there that I listen to on occasion.

Re: Anti Nu-Metal Don't like it, don't listen to it. I absolutely agree. There should be an addendum to that though that states "if somebody else doesn't like it and you do, don't get butt hurt about it". The entirety of my posts on this subject have been because of people getting up at arms because some people here don't like that stuff. We have all stated numerous times that nobody is telling anybody what to listen to or what not to listen to, yet people still seem to get offended even though disdain for those styles of music are anything but new or surprising. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like it, don't listen to it. I absolutely agree. There should be an addendum to that though that states "if somebody else doesn't like it and you do, don't get butt hurt about it". The entirety of my posts on this subject have been because of people getting up at arms because some people here don't like that stuff. We have all stated numerous times that nobody is telling anybody what to listen to or what not to listen to, yet people still seem to get offended even though disdain for those styles of music are anything but new or surprising. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Oh, I agree completely.

Don't like it' date=' don't listen to it. I absolutely agree. There should be an addendum to that though that states "if somebody else doesn't like it and you do, don't get butt hurt about it". The entirety of my posts on this subject have been because of people getting up at arms because some people here don't like that stuff. We have all stated numerous times that nobody is telling anybody what to listen to or what not to listen to, yet people still seem to get offended even though disdain for those styles of music are anything but new or surprising.[/quote'] You've got all the righteousness with you, dude. lml

here's a novel suggestion, if you don't like what someone's saying about your pet band don't read what they're saying it's not hard people, if you are going to reed criticisms of your favourite band might I suggest the best response is to say something along the lines of "well it isn't your taste" (for an example see my response to ReturntoCarthage regarding Mournful Congregation in the opinions thread) rather then having a temper tantrum because someone offers a dissenting opinion to yours? also for the record this is a completely stupid thread

• 1 month later...

Regardless of the name of the genre, I simply don't consider "nu-metal" to be a form of metal. It has some elements of metal, but is more usualy hard rock based. I like some of the bands, dislike most of the bands, don't care who listens to it or not. I just want to make clear that this is NOT a legitamate form of metal.

Regardless of the name of the genre' date=' I simply don't consider "nu-metal" to be a form of metal. It has some elements of metal, but is more usualy hard rock based. I like some of the bands, dislike most of the bands, don't care who listens to it or not. I just want to make clear that this is NOT a legitamate form of metal.[/quote'] Good point, I agree. The only 'nu metal' band that I like (and I only like some of their work) is Disturbed, but I'd argue they're more hard rock/groove metal or something like that. Otherwise, pretty much all nu-metal I've heard is exactly that, just hard rock with really loud guitars, palm muting (whoopee) and really awful vocals.