I'm losing interest in metal, WHY?!?

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

Solitude Aeturnus does a bit of that, especially on their Adagio album. I don't know much about music theory, that's my brother's department, and I think he said that it was a Phrygian mode that forms that sound, and while a lot of bands use it, most don't abuse quite the way that Nile and Melechesh do. Nile does have a few doomy songs which would help satisfy that craving, but I would also like to hear the idea expanded upon.

• 4 weeks later...
I dont EVER want to lose my interest in metal and rock' date=' and i wont, i only really like clean non - screamy vocals at the moment (like maiden, sabbath dio etc.) im thinking of trying my mate will's drum and bass (he'll probably join this forum soon cos i've convinced him too, he likes metal aswell (good, not shit metal by the way)[/quote'] I lost all interest in metal by the 90s and spent that period producing jungle and other forms of electronic music. Along the way I really learned to appreciate 1970s-80s reggae, modern classical, noise, and pre-1980s country, plus African and Arabic music. In the last decade my interest in metal was rekindled by the likes of Down, High on Fire, or Pig Destroyer, and I'm also discovering plenty of musicians from other genres I ignored as a kid just because they didn't happen to be members of, say, Slayer, Possessed, or Hirax. So if you feel your accustomed sound is turning stale, branch out for a while and stretch your ears out. Cool, too, to note your mentioned crossover of interest between jungle and metal. Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22096764

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I understand this. Around 2009 I completely lost interest in making metal and even listening to it for around two years due to getting irritated with the attitudes of a lot of people who are into metal. I'm glad I got over it, as it is the music that I find to be the best way in which to express myself.

I've never lost interest in metal, but for sure there is a time when you want to try some other stuff too. Beside metal I love to listen to neofolk and traditional folk music from Europe, Enya, some electronic stuff and even hip-hop (though there are only 2 or 3 artists that I really like). I've never liked classical music though, I prefer movie soundtracks for that sake. BTW other thing is that metal is now so diverse music that it's hard to get bored with that ;]

I really dig doom' date=' and I really dig middle eastern instruments and scales. I'd really like to combine those two elements if I ever do manage to put a band together[/quote'] Check out Narjahanam from Bahrain, they're the closest I've heard: LvlMU_-Mars

• 2 weeks later...

I too found myself losing interest in Metal, so I began looking for more "rounded" genres. I live in the US, and there's not much intellectual capacity that really goes into listening to anything that comes out of the US. Metal to me can be exhausting because it's a constant exersion of energy, but it also depends on what kind of metal you're listening to. American Metal is a tad more mind-numbing than European Metal, and focuses more on their ability to insight a rage in their fans than European metal does. European Metal seems to have more of a theme or deeper meaning than anything that comes out of the US, which is why I've been branching out and getting into it lately.

I too found myself losing interest in Metal, so I began looking for more "rounded" genres. I live in the US, and there's not much intellectual capacity that really goes into listening to anything that comes out of the US. Metal to me can be exhausting because it's a constant exersion of energy, but it also depends on what kind of metal you're listening to. American Metal is a tad more mind-numbing than European Metal, and focuses more on their ability to insight a rage in their fans than European metal does. European Metal seems to have more of a theme or deeper meaning than anything that comes out of the US, which is why I've been branching out and getting into it lately.
It's good that you're branching out, but this post is way too generalized, and not really true. What genres are you talking about? What bands have you heard? There's lots of good, well-written, thought-provoking metal coming out from all over the globe, and it's been that way for decades. There are several recommendations threads here filled with stuff to check out, and I'm sure that we could provide more specific recommendations if you let us know what kind of stuff you're interested in.

Digging needs to be done sometimes when getting bored with a genre. I'd all but written off DM until last year when I discovered Portal, Aevangelist, Abyssal and Antediluvian. I had to dig about on bandcamp and on some forums (as FatherA suggests, "recommendation" threads are useful) to pick up on the existence of these bands as you won't find them sat on the home screen of the iTunes store. There is nothing I enjoy more than finding one band and then picking up similar artists and spending a whole evening or afternoon discovering new music.

Re: I'm losing interest in metal, WHY?!?

Even if we are referring to the mainstream side of things, European metal is no less banal than American metal. They may be on different sides of the spectrum, but there's just as much brain dead folk, power, and melodic death metal coming from Europe as there is emocore and retro heavy/thrash metal in the US. Not only is this view incorrect, it's extremely narrow minded as FatherAlabaster said. Great metal can and does come from all over, but like with everything, most of the gems are beneath the surface and require some digging. Maybe try expanding your range before trying to paint an entire nation's scene into a corner, as there are hundreds of US metal bands that can easily contradict this sentiment. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I too found myself losing interest in Metal' date=' so I began looking for more "rounded" genres. I live in the US, and there's not much intellectual capacity that really goes into listening to anything that comes out of the US. Metal to me can be exhausting because it's a constant exersion of energy, but it also depends on what kind of metal you're listening to. American Metal is a tad more mind-numbing than European Metal, and focuses more on their ability to insight a rage in their fans than European metal does. European Metal seems to have more of a theme or deeper meaning than anything that comes out of the US, which is why I've been branching out and getting into it lately.[/quote'] This sounds more like an a priori view of Americans and less like an analysis of the metal being produced by both areas. There's a larger metal scene in Europe, mainly because Europe is a continent and the United States is one country, so to compare gross output is already unfair. I used to write off the US' metal as well out of misplaced sense of arrogant anti-patriotism, but once I dispensed with that unhelpful notion I found some of the greatest material I've ever listened to, musically and lyrically. In my own opinion the only country that can even hope to compete with the US with regards to quality metal is Sweden.

• 6 months later...

I have what I refer to as a nearly schizophrenic taste in music. Since I was young I've always considered death metal and gangster rap to be my home genre, but I'm always coming across new things that I enjoy, some of which I never thought I would. If you would have told me when I was 14 that ten years later I would consider Tony Bennett to be my favorite singer I would have probably laughed, then forcibly taken your tennis shoes. But I digress, I've definitely gone through periods where I listened to significantly less metal. It can be for a number of reasons, sometimes its just a matter of needing something else to give one side of your brain a rest. Its totally normal, and you'll always come back to it. Sometimes all it takes is putting your ipod on shuffle to help jar your memory on some of the songs that made you love metal in the first place

I have what I refer to as a nearly schizophrenic taste in music. Since I was young I've always considered death metal and gangster rap to be my home genre, but I'm always coming across new things that I enjoy, some of which I never thought I would. If you would have told me when I was 14 that ten years later I would consider Tony Bennett to be my favorite singer I would have probably laughed, then forcibly taken your tennis shoes. But I digress, I've definitely gone through periods where I listened to significantly less metal. It can be for a number of reasons, sometimes its just a matter of needing something else to give one side of your brain a rest. Its totally normal, and you'll always come back to it. Sometimes all it takes is putting your ipod on shuffle to help jar your memory on some of the songs that made you love metal in the first place
"Gangster Rap????".........

Yes. Not limited to strictly early 90's west coast rap but a lot of mid-90's Houston area rap like UGK and Scarface, all sorts of stuff from that era really. It was what I knew long before I discovered my passion for metal, and simply a part of me that will be there for life. Because its just LUDICROUS to enjoy variety in life right?

Yes. Not limited to strictly early 90's west coast rap but a lot of mid-90's Houston area rap like UGK and Scarface, all sorts of stuff from that era really. It was what I knew long before I discovered my passion for metal, and simply a part of me that will be there for life. Because its just LUDICROUS to enjoy variety in life right?
Nope not at all....although most rap sucks hairy horse balls.

Interesting, I got into hip-hop about sixteen years ago but was never attracted to the gangsta stuff. My favorite material came out of the Northeast in the 2000s, I'm a big El-P and Aesop Rock fan. The new Sage Francis is badass, too.