Anger Thread!

RelentlessOblivion

Re: The Rant hmmm 6/10, I'm not the most religious person going around but I do think the general Idea of religions is spot on, it's a worthy cause to try and live one's life by some tenets of the bible such as being kind to others where possible, I just don't believe in a supreme deity that will judge us when we die. ranting about my parents constant criticism of the clothes I wear, for example today I'm wearing my Helloween shirt (cause Helloween are pretty fucking awesome) parents: "you're really goona wear that?" me: "of course I'm gonna wear it, I like the band and the shirt" parents: "couldn't you wear something normal like your brothers?" and so on every single time I wear one of the 16 metal shirts I own, it just gets old, they don't seem to understand that I don't care what people think of me, I make it plainly obvious that I'm a headbanger and don't give a shit if people judge me for it,

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Rant

hmmm 6/10' date=' I'm not the most religious person going around but I do think the general Idea of religions is spot on, it's a worthy cause to try and live one's life by some tenets of the bible such as being kind to others where possible, I just don't believe in a supreme deity that will judge us when we die.[/quote'] I was actually referring to the process by which people criticize theology. For example, if I made some complaint about 'Australians' which in truth only referred to Tasmanians, I can't imagine you'd view that as being an intelligent critique. As for your rant, I'd say about 7/10 it's definitely important to let people know that you're metal, it's immensely underrepresented. Maybe you could walk around asking people 'Are You Metalll?' I'm sad that the electorate here in the US seem to want a safe candidate so they want to go with Newt Gingrich, who's only OK, or Mitt Romney, who tends to flip-flop and is clueless about anything that happens outside our borders. I do hope Ron Paul rallies, he's the most interesting (and coincidentally the most metal) candidate in the running.

Re: The Rant wow you actually know about Tasmania, we try to keep that a secret lol (interstate sporting rivalry shining through) 7/10 for your rant, in Australia the parties elect their leaders, there's no campaigning or anything like that the parties just choose whoever they think is most popular to run them ranting about the startling lack of interest many Aussies show in politics, most Aussies can name every captain of the Australian cricket team (myself included there) but couldn't name more then three of our former Prime Ministers, or name any major political occurences (such as former PM Gough Whitlam being fired by the Governor-General for his inability to ensure the confidence of parliament) seems most Australians only care about getting tanked and watching their favourite sport on the tv, and not about politics WHICH ACTUALLY AFFECTS THEM.

Re: The Rant People have that problem in my hometown too...where I live it's a scientific utopia - just about the only place where someone with a PhD in nuclear physics can do work that they actually like. Unfortunately many of them have a very disparaging attitude toward politics as a discipline. Because I want to do international relations, they have an even harder time trying to understand how it's relevant to them. But, if we signed an FTA with you lot down under we might get a lot of useful minerals (gold, cobalt, zinc, copper) for a better price, and if we prevent an outright war with Iran gas prices ought to be steady. Sadly, these people don't seem to make that connection.

7/10 for your rant' date=' in Australia the parties elect their leaders, there's no campaigning or anything like that the parties just choose whoever they think is most popular to run them[/quote'] I did forget that in a parliamentary system you vote for parties rather than leaders, thank you for refreshing my memory. On the other hand, if a bunch of guys are feeling cheesed off they can go form their own party and might get two or three seats. That actually ties into my rant. I'm tired of No War or War Is Not The Answer (well, what's the bloomin' question?) signs all over the place. War is useful and sometimes necessary for survival, so it's annoying that people just want to pan it universally because some military engagements were poorly conceived.

Re: The Rant 10/10 I have a great deal of respect for the troops who serve under the flag of freedom (US, Australia, New Zealant etc) and are willing to risk their lives for a cause they believe in. Whilst it is unfortunate that so many have died in Iraq and Afghanistan this in itself is not a reason to pull out of these places whilst there is still good that can be done. ranting about the overwhelming concern our PM has with political correctness to the point of lunacy. Currently our PM is working on legislation which will make it illegal to show the Australian flag anywhere on your car because she thinks national pride is racist. Additionally she is working on having the name of a national holiday changed because she thinks it's current name is too racist. The holiday in question is Australia Day, interestingly enough it is not actually celebrated on the day Australia became a nation but rather it is celebrated on the day the first piece of federal legislation passed through parliament. Miss Gillard (PM) however feels that calling it Australia Day is racist and wishes to change the name to "Citizens Day". Citizens Day? Really? umm for a start that's actually worse, calling it citizens day implies that only Australian citizens should actually celebrate it, this excludes all people with work or travel visas, or any other people here temporarily and without citizenship

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Rant 9/10 that seems to be the trend. Self-hating white people constantly falling over themselves in revoltingly obsequious displays of 'tolerance'. We have a culture too, and why not be proud of it? We invented metal, for heaven's sake! :D Anyhow, I'll rant about hipsters. I honestly don't mind well-thought-out atheists. Nevermore and Anata strike me as two examples - atheists who understand the ramification of their views and are willing to man up and take them. Ricky Gervais is a self-stated atheist, but he claims to 'miss God' in some sense. Now I mention atheism only because it's generally the hipster religion. They can also be Buddhists or some suitable safe New Age religion (to paraphrase the book 'Stuff White People Like', any religion that doesn't require any real work). However, their pushy leftism is abhorrent. Furthermore, they tout reason as their guide but selfish hypocrisy is their oracle. They are, by and large, an immature group who shout down and remove the civil liberties of anyone who opposes them. They have done little more than jump on the bandwagon of anti-clerical, anti-capitalist, anti-meat, anti-liberty, anti-judicial restraint and anti-Western (in truth, this is just anti-white sentiment) thought. They claim to fight for freedom. Unfortunately, the freedom they fight for is theirs alone. The opposition can resign themselves to exclusion and stigmatization, whilst Leviathan makes sure no one breaks the egalitarian homogeneity of the New World Order.

Re: The Rant 10/10 I am an atheist, but by the same token I have taken to heart many teachings of the bible, and have a great deal of respect for the personal beliefs of others, we have hipsters here too, generally they're the people who go to university and study law or politics only to criticise everything about the system without providing any real argument other then "the system is broken because we say so, now accept our viewpoint or be ridiculed" and then when asked what they intend to do once they finish their degree reply "nothing, I want no part of this soul sucking abomination that is capitalism" ok then WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? WHY ARE YOU WASTING EVERYBODIES TIME? and of course they're also the people who after class will call everyone a "mindless zombie, conforming to social pressures" then all go off to have a smoke, now tell me what gives them the right to call us conformists when they do the same bloody thing? and tha is both a response and my rant

Re: The Rant :shock: Sorry, I freaked out when I saw the big letters. Well, 10/10, I'm glad you agree... D'you know what the irony is? They are the social pressure. All the time, anyone who has a stitch of faith in free enterprise is ridiculed in precisely the manner you describe. There was this fellow in my class who said that according to data he saw in his economics class, if you earn more than $30,000 (I think the USD roughly corresponds to the Australian dollar) you are in the top 1% worldwide. All the hipsters said 'I don't think that's true' without providing a shred of evidence. He eventually clammed up and backed down even though his argument was better supported. Technically that can be a rant in and of itself...I'm a bit too content what with Svartsot pummeling my ears to get really angry at the moment. I should really write anti-hipster lyrics, heaven knows there's plenty of material.

Re: The Rant ok we'll just pretend that's a rant so that if Apoc drops by he doesn't get angry like the last time he posted in this thread so 10/10 'cause I hate the hipsters, especially when a group argues against them and one by one gets harrassed into submission leaving me to defend my argument alone ranting about one of my friends, we have a lot in common but there's one key difference, he doesn't like metal, ordinarily this doesn't cause any problems, but a few days back he said two things that really irritated me, firstly that metal was not a valid form of music because there was no scope for variety in the music, and secondly that "metal is all just people screaming about nothing, for no reason, and no one in their right mind would listen to it" this in turn led to a rather lengthy discussion which was eventually settled by each of us playing three songs to support our claim, he played three pop songs, I think one was lady gag-gag, but since the only pop artist I'm familiar with is Michael Jackson I'm not too sure, anyway I said "those all sound completely identical" he said there were subtle differences that made them unique, I played Black Sabbath - War Pigs, Blind Guardian's The Script For My Requiem, and Salem's Millions Slaughtered, and said there's an example of huge differences making something unique, since then I've started posting examples of each sub-genre on my facebook

I'm not positive Anata are atheists - you ever read their lyrics? They come across as being somewhat spiritual - just not Christian.
I have, that's how I came to the conclusion that they were atheists. The very title of one of their albums, 'The Conductor's Departure', already bears the message of a dead or absent God. Otherwise, I've read the lyrics to several songs, and they essentially say: 'God is dead. That's dreadful, but unfortunately it is the truth. While it'll be very hard going trying bring order out of the intellectual chaos brought on by the absence of spirituality, we can't afford to simply hold fast to something we know is a delusion.' That's a well-thought-out position. Even though I disagree strongly with their opinion that God is dead and that he was a fabrication the whole time, I still admire their ability to buck up and face the consequences of their own conclusions. Perhaps they are spiritual, but I haven't seen any evidence for that as of yet.

Re: The Rant so far as religion goes I generally respect the beliefs of those who have faith, I don't believe and do have a strong opinion on the matter but I don't feel that someone's spiritual beliefs are something that should be debated, that is something which only the individual can decide. The only time I will openly criticise religion is when someone attempts to force their religious views upon me, for example the jehovas witnesses (yeah we have them in Australia too) who attempted to convert me through their version of shock and awe, attempting to use fear as a means of forcing me to accept their viewpoint, the basic premise of their argument was "currently you are doomed, if you do not change your wicked ways you will suffer horrific and eternal torture in the fiery realms of hell, repent and join us" at the risk of offending members of the forum I will not repeat what I said, anyway there's my rant, people who try to force their spiritual beliefs onto others

Re: The Rant And we're back on topic...probably 8/10 because 'force' can be construed in so many ways. I gather you are talking about coercion techniques that can be called browbeating, rather than simply criticizing someone. I'm annoyed that so many people automatically assume capitalism is bad. You know what's interesting? Qatar, Singapore, Hong Kong, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, The Netherlands and Austria all have one of the top 10 GDP's per capita in the world. They also have pretty open trade with other countries. With the exclusion of The Netherlands and Austria, these countries also have pretty light taxes (Qatar has NO income tax, but charges 40% tax on oil exploration. Very clever). These nations, by and large, are quite prosperous (although the Middle Eastern countries probably have a high income inequality). Also, why is it that people who are anti-free enterprise are complaining about bailouts and inflation? Their ideology promotes such meddling. My family is actually a capitalism success story. Neither of my parents were born into privilege; they both came from poor white families. My father, an English South African, managed to get into university and stayed there because he got good grades. If he didn't he'd have to join the apartheid military and start shooting at protestors that he sympathized with. As he was finishing up his PhD., he was told that if he didn't credit someone with work they hadn't done, he wouldn't get his degree. And he didn't. He took a one-way plane ticket to New Jersey, joined Rutgers University and started all over again on his PhD. thesis. It was there that he met and married my mother, an accomplished but impoverished musician from an Irish and Polish-Ukrainian family. My father eventually did get his degree and found a job at Los Alamos National Laboratory on the recommendation of a professor at Rutgers. We are now upper-middle class. We do not owe our success to 'stabbing other people in the back', as hipsters want you to believe. We owe it to hard work, wits and discipline.

I have, that's how I came to the conclusion that they were atheists. The very title of one of their albums, 'The Conductor's Departure', already bears the message of a dead or absent God. Otherwise, I've read the lyrics to several songs, and they essentially say: 'God is dead. That's dreadful, but unfortunately it is the truth. While it'll be very hard going trying bring order out of the intellectual chaos brought on by the absence of spirituality, we can't afford to simply hold fast to something we know is a delusion.' That's a well-thought-out position. Even though I disagree strongly with their opinion that God is dead and that he was a fabrication the whole time, I still admire their ability to buck up and face the consequences of their own conclusions. Perhaps they are spiritual, but I haven't seen any evidence for that as of yet.
I guess I was thinking about some of the stuff on Dreams of Death and Dismay, like this: The Temple / Erratic Left by dawn Determined mind The final way out My bridges were burned One last path to justify life... To follow this crazy dream Heading for the woods To places I had been before But in my dreams They were altered I just had to see But the deeper I walked Confusion emerged Paths unknown? I was astray And though it was day The sun shone no more But as I despaired Certain to be lost I suddenly stood By a temple The temple in my dreams With a thousand steps My journey was complete The source of essence Of which I had been foretold Climbing up the stairs Hewn in stone Stained with generations blood Thorn, like poison snakes Entangles me, severs my skin Helped by the wind At last at the top A mysterious sight reaches my eyes For on the very highest step A gigantic mirror was placed Unseen in my dream I was dismayed With fear I faced the mirror And to my great surprise My reflection... The image of the devil And behind... At the very foot of the stairs I could see clouds And heaven from above Through the mirror I could see heaven's gate Forever closed for me All of a sudden A stormwind came And put the mirror in spin Got hold of the thorn Of the highest step I see the mirror stop Yet the wind blows My image... I am Messiah Hanging down the stairs In the reflection a chasm And the gate in front of me Was the back of the gate to hell I was sure to fall A question of seconds But once again The wind came to my help And saved me from the flames But trapped in the grasp of the wind I was violently thrown Towards the spinning mirror And I got caught in the spin New dimensions I saw But I never say the mirror again My last way to redemption Turned out to be a fatal delusion I'm condemned To eternal emptiness Condemned to play roles In a thousand worlds I'm never to be myself again --- It's definitely about some sort of personal evolution, whether or not it's really spiritual or not is debatable, I suppose.

Re: The Rant it took me awhile since today has been a pretty good day for me but I've just come up with something to rant about so here goes you know it wasn't until I joined the Metal Forum that I really realised how many metal festivals were out there, I knew about Wacken, OzzFest, the Download festival and Gigantour but not much else, now I've also found out about Sonisphere, HellFest, ProgPower, DesertRock and a boatload of other festivals, mostly in Europe, some in the US, some in South America, hell DesertRock takes place in the UAE, you want to know how many metal festivals Australia has? 1, we were going to get a second but the promoter decided they already ran one festival and that was enough, here's another thing this "metal festival" hardly has any bands that are actually metal, it's a festival which crams all the "non-mainstream" bands into one place so you have a couple of metal bands, a couple of punk bands, mostly emo bands and some alternative bands, of course since the emo kids hate everything that isn't emo, the punks hate the metalheads, and the metalheads want to fucking kill all the emos there's more time spent fighting then there is watching the bands, it doesn't make for a very enjoyable atmosphere, honestly is it really that hard to organise a couple of straight up metal festivals, there doesn't even have to be any big name bands there, it could be a show full of unknowns and there'd still be a strong turnout from the metalheads, and that would allow for expansion if the festival really took off, anything to end the misery that the current festival puts every group through every year (although the emo kids probably like being unhappy about this shit so they wouldn't want it changed)

of course since the emo kids hate everything that isn't emo' date=' the punks hate the metalheads, and the metalheads want to fucking kill all the emos there's more time spent fighting then there is watching the bands, it doesn't make for a very enjoyable atmosphere,[/quote'] Wait, emos actually get into 'fights'? A 'fight' implies that there's a chance of you winning... It would definitely suck having punks there, since they're basically more belligerent hipsters. As for your rant, probably about 9/10. It's annoying enough having few gigs here, but at least there are some big-name festivals on the coasts that I can go to assuming I got enough money and time. I'm tired of white guilt. This to me is a sign that we actually inflict racism on ourselves. Honestly, I don't see any other race doing this. Arabs don't fall all over themselves for attacking blacks in North Africa during the expansion of their empire during the 600's. Japan doesn't seem to be apologizing for its occupation of China and Korea during WW2. The Mongolians aren't moping around feeling bad for how they decimated Central Asian tribes. And I DEFINITELY don't see Haitians apologizing for actively trying to kill every last white person on their island when they made their push for independence. On the other hand, Belgians made an apology for their mismanagement of the Congo. It was a lame apology and it fixed nothing, but it was AT LEAST an apology. Both Martin Luther King, Jr. and Steve Biko both specifically made statements trying to reduce partisanship. Biko likely saw the ZANU-PF and the bag-up job they'd done in messing up Zimbabwe, and hoped to avoid the same problem in South Africa. So too we actually interned Japanese citizens in concentration camps in World War II in what was definitely a poor move. But do they complain about it all the time and claim that it's stunted their opportunities? No, they just went right on working, held their children to strict educational standards, and now Asian men and women on average have the highest wages in the country. That's not restitution money, that's hard work.

Re: The Rant 10/10 we have the same thing down here, in fact two elections back it formed part of one parties campaign, this particular party won and the first thing the newly elected Prime Minister did was issue a lengthy public apology for the Europeans settling Australia back in 1773 (interestingly enough Australia didn't actually become a free and independant nation until 1901), now with our new PM well on her way to banning the Australian flag from being displayed publicly it almost seems like the government is trying to appease an indigenous population that was never upset in the first place ranting about the extremely poor treatment metal bands get in my home town, basically any metal band that isn't radio friendly gets dumped into the smallest venues possible (Megadeth and Slayer did a combined show here a few years back in a venue that sits 500 people) and if you are radio friendly then you'd best play exclusively radio friendly songs or the next time you're here it'll be in a miniscule venue, even one of Australia's most successful rock acts AC/DC didn't escape scrutiny, when they played here in 2010 they were told by the local council (because they were playing a stadium) that they had to 1. drastically reduce the volume of their show, 2. cut down the lighting for the show, 3. have concluded the show by no later then 10:30pm and 4. that they were not allowed to use their fireworks etc. they still put on the show but at the end said they wouldn't be back

Re: The Rant 7/10 I wouldn't really know because I've never been to a metal gig, but that does seem awfully disappointing. There seems to be a dictatorship of happiness going on as far as music is concerned. I remember this one girl asking with distaste whether listening to metal wouldn't just make me depressed all the time. Why is it so bad to be depressed? It used to be that being depressed was simply a part of life, a natural response to some of the futility in life. Indeed, given the state of the world overall and the societal trends going on at the moment, it seems more and more fitting to be cranky. But now, all of a sudden, it's being viewed as a disease which warrants tangible pills - just take one and you'll feel better, it simply won't do to be down in the dumps...this is starting to sound like Brave New World, what little I've heard. Granted, it's not a fun feeling, and it doesn't give you an excuse to be a killjoy, but I'm sick and tired of all the happy music around because the happiness has characteristics similar to those of a narcotic - it is just a superficial and shallow medicated happiness which doesn't come from you. When metal songs are happy they've thought about it a bit more. Even the cheesy power metal bands still talk about conquering despair. Metal's joy is meaningful happiness.

Re: The Rant 10/10 I totally agree, metal doesn't make me feel depressed, in fact it has the opposite effect, when I've had a bad day I listen to metal and it makes me feel better, not worse, if I've had a really bad day I don't go out and start a fight with someone, or go and drink my sorrow away, I just chuck on some metal and bang my head like a madman, and when I have a good day metal makes it seem even better, I can't buy into this pop image where everything is always perfect and you're never allowed to feel bad since I was going to rant about the same thing you did I guess now I don't have a rant

• 6 months later...

Re: Anger Thread! I'm greatly annoyed (currently) by the lack of posters here and at doommantia.com. There were several regular posters when I first stumbled upon this forum who have all vanished, what gives? There were a handful of others that had stopped posting prior to my joining as well. The same with Doommantia, except people there have lamely jumped ship because the sites founder is in bad shape. It's back to two-three people like it was when I first started posting there. This sucks.

Anger Thread!

I'm greatly annoyed (currently) by the lack of posters here and at doommantia.com. There were several regular posters when I first stumbled upon this forum who have all vanished' date=' what gives? There were a handful of others that had stopped posting prior to my joining as well. The same with Doommantia, except people there have lamely jumped ship because the sites founder is in bad shape. It's back to two-three people like it was when I first started posting there. This sucks.[/quote'] i post everyday! :D

Re: Anger Thread! Wow, in the 5 years I've been here, I don't know if I've ever dealt with a shittier delivery. Some bitch that lives all the way at the top of Emigration Canyon ordered a 150 lbs. mattress, and wanted it delivered and setup today. My drivers get there, and discover that her house does not sit on the road, but there is a 600 foot winding and inclining dirt trail that leads up to her house. My drivers call me to tell me that there is no possible way the two of them can deliver this mattress themselves up this steep and treacherous trail, and that it would take at least 3-4 people to make this delivery, so I call my customer to try to find a solution. After waiting on hold for a ridiculous amount of time (probably about 35 minutes), they tell me that the customer's place of purchase has authorized us to leave the mattress if the customer is okay with finding other means to get it to her house. I tell my drivers this, and she tries to convince them to take it up the path themselves anyway because she does not want it left, and I tell my drivers to pack up and go because we don't have the time nor resources to keep fucking around with her delivery if we're going to have to reschedule it anyway to be done with 4 people instead of 2. As soon as they start to leave, she panics and runs to get her neighbor to try to help them get it up the trail. 30 minutes later, they finally get it up to her house, with one of my drivers gashing his leg open on a rock on the way up the trail. Now, if you lived in a fucked up remote place with a delivery situation like this, don't you think you would make it a priority to communicate the situation to the team delivering your mattress before they drive all the way up the canyon without the proper team? Thanks, you stupid bitch, for ruining my day!