Top 5 Non-Metal Bands

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

Murph, country is a style that most of the people around me find extremely annoying. I would agree that music-wise it is simple and you need to like simple music to like it. I personally enjoy,even in metal, music that is not so over-instrumental if you get what I mean. A few simple chords and a great voice are much more touching for me than a complicated melody. It is a matter of personal taste, of course-words do for me what solos do for others. I have always been a story-eater. But...you just can't say it is over simplified. Sure there are country bands that are more or less comedic and haven't aimed for anything serious. But you have a simple melody with those rough and deep voices that sing what is in all of us but we don't want to admit. Folk music is a part of the culture that just emerged from the depth of humanity, and was not an effect from the outside. Just like folk tales, more and more interpretations appear, as if people need to live through a song again and again. If you start to read the lyrics and spend some time to think about it, I bet you'll find something from yourself in there. And I'm not even American to say that:P Plus, country can be very dark, gory, and brutal. It can be very metal in a way :D I am a big fan of Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Neil Young...BAN and AcceleratingUniverse , feel free to recommend me something good !!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murph, country is a style that most of the people around me find extremely annoying. I would agree that music-wise it is simple and you need to like simple music to like it. I personally enjoy,even in metal, music that is not so over-instrumental if you get what I mean. A few simple chords and a great voice are much more touching for me than a complicated melody. It is a matter of personal taste, of course-words do for me what solos do for others. I have always been a story-eater. But...you just can't say it is over simplified. Sure there are country bands that are more or less comedic and haven't aimed for anything serious. But you have a simple melody with those rough and deep voices that sing what is in all of us but we don't want to admit. Folk music is a part of the culture that just emerged from the depth of humanity, and was not an effect from the outside. Just like folk tales, more and more interpretations appear, as if people need to live through a song again and again. If you start to read the lyrics and spend some time to think about it, I bet you'll find something from yourself in there. And I'm not even American to say that:P Plus, country can be very dark, gory, and brutal. It can be very metal in a way :D I am a big fan of Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Neil Young...BAN and AcceleratingUniverse , feel free to recommend me something good !!
Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Bob Dylan's country music is arguably better than his folk music, Johnny Paycheck, Townes Van Zandt (folk)... for more modern guys check out Slim Cessna's Auto Club, James Hunnicutt, Goddamn Gallows (country/punk!), Carrie Nation and the Speakeasy. Concerning the original point of the thread: if I had to pick one non-metal band to post a link for, I would say check out Judgement Day @ Judgement Day ... I recommend everyone listen to that band. Top 5 (in no particular order): 1.Adrian Belew 2.a Tribe Called Quest 3.(Hed) P.E. 4.the Mars Volta 5.CCR ... 6.Black Flag 7.Thought Industry (started as a metal band) 8.Swans 9.Monster Magnet 10.Clutch I know I cheated :]

Some days it's: Rush Soundgarden Alice In Chains At The Drive-In Mars Volta other days it's: Swans Portishead TV On The Radio Joy Division El-P I grew up listening to bluegrass, which has a lot in common with folk and country. I think it's just like discussions we have here: a bunch of similar-sounding music with lots of fine distinctions that are only meaningful if you actually enjoy it enough to pay attention, lots of crap to sift through, and a few gems that shine regardless of genre.

Re: Top 5 Non-Metal Bands

I grew up listening to bluegrass, which has a lot in common with folk and country. I think it's just like discussions we have here: a bunch of similar-sounding music with lots of fine distinctions that are only meaningful if you actually enjoy it enough to pay attention, lots of crap to sift through, and a few gems that shine regardless of genre.
Yeah, every genre is like that. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

@Idle note I said "it sounds like oversimplified blues to me" not oversimplified music more broadly. Johnny Cash being an exception to the rule as I do enjoy his music when in the right mood but even then other country music does not work for me. I understand that people like country music and that's fine. I don't like it and I was explaining why after BAN explained why he does like it.

• 2 weeks later...

You have an awesome taste in music! I like all the bands you mentioned exept Madness. I've never heard of them. I'd love to listen to them. If you could tell me a few good songs by them that would be pretty cool. Anyways, my 5 favourite non-metal bands are 1. Beatles 2. Bob Dylan 3. Pink Floyd 4. Neil Young 5. Rolling Stones. This probably isn't a solid list but the Beatles are definatley my favourite band. I missed out on some awsome musicians though so, honorable mention. Plus Led Zeppelin are considered metal a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Queens Of The Stone Age Hilliard Ensemble TV On The Radio Hedningarna Deine Lakaien

What's everyones opinion on Genesis/Phil Collins?
Talented guys, I like Phil Collins' voice sometimes (other times it gets on my nerves). I probably prefer Peter Gabriel. But I only dig a few songs here and there, I guess as a whole it's not really my thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...