More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs?

metal101

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? BlutAusNerd - have to disagree, only time will tell if they're gimmick. Aren't most bands projecting an image - cannibal corpse, rob zombie...all metal- doesn't mean it doesn't have substance - this one just has big boobs - she's upfront that it's part of their appeal - but to my ears they're music holds up - not my favourite bad by a long shot, but they're good. We'll have to disagree on this one, but I feel you protest too much...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs?

She doesn't sound like an opera singer' date=' and if she really is and she "sings" that badly for Huntress, then that's even more sad. Her vocals sound like a half-assed sing/shout hybrid and the tone is terrible, and her screams especially sound fucking atrocious, like the ones in Eight of Swords. As far as attractiveness being subjective, you are correct, but I can't think of too many 90 lbs. bleached blondes (where 15 of those lbs. are from the silicone in her chest and another 5 are from the caked on makeup) that I find attractive. This band is 100% gimmick and 0% substance, the entire premise of the band is to ride the current occult heavy metal trend and throw their singer's big fake tits around in every video, photo shoot, and live performance possible, probably so you don't pay attention to her voice.[/quote'] I laughed my ass off when I heard Huntress. What a shitty band. Musically they're just generic power. Vocally she's a joke. I wonder if they're doing this as a joke because how could they take themselves seriously with her singing. I couldn't agree more with your assessment. Even if she wasn't fronting the band they'd still suck.

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? Cannibal Corpse and Rob Zombie are gimmick bands too, though at least you can tell that Cannibal Corpse enjoy what they do, even if they aren't the best at it. I can't hear where their music "holds up", it reminds me of shit like Trivium, made by mallcore fans in the image of what they think metal should sound like, which in both cases is pretty far off the mark. I do "protest" a great deal about these bands, because they end up getting all kinds of credit where legitimately good bands don't, and even though I'm aware that this is frequently the case, it's still annoying. It also means that they'll end up on tour with bands that I do like, and I'll either have to sit through them to get to the real show, or have the bands that are actually making good music play a shorter set to accommodate for these rejects going on after them. For example, I had to sit through Skeletonwitch opening for Nile, not because they sound anything like Nile, but because they're popular with idiots and it drove up ticket sales for the tour, which promoters love. I then got a shorter Nile set because they were opening for The Black Dahlia Murder, because their brand of emo mixed with Slaughter of the Soul worship has won them over a huge fan base of Hot Topic shoppers, and people seem to think that they're "just another death metal band" and have every right to headline a "death metal" tour.

More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs?

BlutAusNerd - have to disagree' date=' only time will tell if they're gimmick. Aren't most bands projecting an image - cannibal corpse, rob zombie...all metal- doesn't mean it doesn't have substance - this one just has big boobs - she's upfront that it's part of their appeal - but to my ears they're music holds up - not my favourite bad by a long shot, but they're good. We'll have to disagree on this one, but I feel you protest too much...[/quote'] Big boobs ftw Huntress not ftw

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? In all fairness CC has stated more than once that they're sick of the gore imagery associated with them but they painted themselves in a corner years ago. I think that's why a few of them have side projects. Cannibal Corpse are the real deal however. Nile bore me to death. I'm all for technicality in music but they have no feeling in what they do, CC does however. TBDM are just horrible posers. I don't know how they got a record deal let alone are able to make a living off their 5th rate Slaughter of the Soul worship either.

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? had to endure lamb of god opening for Metallica back in 2010, fucking atrocious, I ended up walking to the bar conviniently located inside the Adelaide Entertainment Centre (where the gig was held) and waited for the loud cheer which would mean log were finally finished

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? it's all about finding what works for you, on the power metal side of things I prefer the harder bands like Sanctuary and Blind Guardian, death metal I prefer the more technical or melodic bands like Quo Vadis and Dark Tranquility, Black Metal I like the more raw sounding bands like Necromantia and Arcturus

death metal I prefer the more technical or melodic bands like Quo Vadis and Dark Tranquility
YES! :twisted: \m/ If you're fit enough to play your instrument, aesthetic should be a secondary consideration. That's why a lot of less attractive people like metal - because there's no pressure to be attractive attached to the genre. The singers for Diablo Swing Orchestra and Battle Beast aren't pretty, but it doesn't really matter since they're very good.

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? and once again it falls to Iceni to get us back on topic therein lies the problem as you pointed out earlier there aren't many female metal musicians who are proficient in their playing so they need to find other ways to market their attempts at music

Really?? Shouldn't be surprised I guess' date=' seems to be a lot of death/ black metal fans around here more than anything (or maybe it's just the posts I've been reading)[/quote'] Not really, it's a pretty varied crowd here. I gravitate mostly towards black, death, thrash, and doom metal, though I still enjoy some power, groove, gothic, heavy, progressive, folk, and viking metal bands. Nobody here possesses the exact same enthusiam with each of their interests as everyone else, but you can usually find a couple of people to chat with in any area here.

Re: More women in metal? Less pigs in ginger wigs? On the subject on ginger pigs - I'd replace the new Christian Dave Mustaine with a heroin addict and then the music might have some balls again. Or get a vicious horny hog in a ginger wig on stage with Dave and let the hog do what comes naturally - that would certainly make Dave Angry Again.