Movies

Iceni

I say movies instead of film inasmuch as film snobs irritate me witless. At any rate, BlutAusNerd thought it would be a good idea to have a film thread, so here it is. I've gotten more fond of spy thrillers recently since the plots are more likely to keep me interested. Otherwise, I like action, adventure and/or sci-fi movies if they're not massively stupid. Most recently, I've enjoyed: Inception Toy Story 3 Despicable Me The two parts of the Deathly Hallows The Avengers

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Movies I liked Inception as well, it's strange to think that Leonardo DiCaprio was that wuss from Titanic and now he plays in all kinds of great movies. Working with Scorsesi has definitely changed him for the better, as Gangs of New York and The Departed were both fantastic. Then again, I like almost all of Scorsesi's movies that I've seen... I can't really pinpoint a genre of movies I like best, as my favorite movies are spread out across many genres. My favorite directors are Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronofsky, Joel and Ethan Coen, and Kevin Smith, though I may not enjoy all of their movies equally, they are the directors that make the most consistently satisfying movies that I watch. I wouldn't even know where to begin in compiling a favorites list of movies though...

Re: Movies I rarely watch a film based on its director. There's far too much inconsistency from too many to get excited about names. That being said the following are a few of my favorite films: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Aliens Underworld: Evolution Clash of the Titans The Stoned Age Legend Any takers?

Re: Movies I like an awful lot of the movies afore mentioned but alot of the middle bonds annoy me! Anyone who read my rant about Kill Bill vol. I will understand why lol ! Has anybody seen a british film called Hot Fuzz? It is a hilaroius spoof film which squashes Midsummer Murders alongside American guns-blazing actioners to give them both an extra ribbing! I also like Thank You for Smoking, L. A. Confidential and Wall Street 8) !

Re: Movies What irritated me about Zombieland was the patent idiocy of the two main characters concerning the two female characters. Every single time they got suckered into handing over their transportation and weapons...it would have been far smarter to just leave them. Fewer people to share resources with. Besides, the girls were were obnoxious. :evil:

Re: Movies

What irritated me about Zombieland was the patent idiocy of the two main characters concerning the two female characters. Every single time they got suckered into handing over their transportation and weapons...it would have been far smarter to just leave them. Fewer people to share resources with. Besides' date=' the girls were were obnoxious. :evil:[/quote'] It wasn't meant to be a thinking mans movie. Watch it for the mindless entertainment it offers, nothing more.

Re: Movies Now to address a few points since my last post. @NTNR: Empire is the best of the Star Wars Trilogy, I'll agree with you there. However, I far prefer the original Alien to Aliens, as Ridley Scott's eerie sci-fi thriller style beats James Cameron's action style, though it is still a good movie. You'll also notice that I only picked out a few directors, as most are very hit or miss, but the ones I listed are directors that I really enjoy at least 90% of their movies. @Murph, Pitch Black was (I believe) the first movie with Riddick, and I agree that it was better than The Chronicles of Riddick, which was okay. @Strategos, I loved Thank You For Smoking, haven't seen LA Confidential, but I don't like Wall Street. The original was boring and the sequel was just plain terrible. @Everyone, Shaun of the Dead was good, but I also think Zombieland is better. Jesse Eisenberg doesn't work in every movie, but was great in this one. It was also a great comeback for Woody Harrelson, and Bill Murray's cameo was great. Abigail Breslin's best role was in Little Miss Sunshine IMO, but her and Emma Stone were both good as well. That being said, Hot Fuzz is better than both of those movies, I think it's pure genius and the best thing Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have done.

Re: Movies

It wasn't meant to be a thinking mans movie. Watch it for the mindless entertainment it offers' date=' nothing more.[/quote'] Well, that's why I like Episode 3 of Star Wars the best...it has the most killing and jokes. The philosophy is rubbish, but on the other hand: R2-D2 immolating super battle droids with flaming oil. :D This was also the only way I managed to enjoy Fast Five, which had stupid characters and a ludicrious premise. Luckily, the presence of Dwayne Johnson AND Vin Diesel suggested early on the movie would be low on brain food.

Re: Movies There are many great brainless movies, but I don't know if I would call Episode 3 one of them. It's the best of the new trilogy, but it's nowhere near the first trilogy, which should go without saying. I've never liked any of the Fast and the Furious movies so I didn't give Fast Five a chance, nor do I think I will.

Re: Movies @BaN Alien was a great movie easily the scariest of the films but Aliens was just too badass to ignore. Yes, Pitch Black was the first Riddick movie and I honestly didn't care for it. Hot Fuzz was just awesome. I didn't think I'd like it when I first heard about it but it was just great. @Iceni The third was the best of the new trilogy which isn't saying much. The best thing about it was that everyone died. The script was terrible and the acting was atrocious. The fight scene between the Emperor and Mace was supposed to be between two trained stunt doubles and at the last second Lucas changed his mind and had the actors stumble through some moves while filming close ups of their faces. The fast movies were retarded. @Murph I love Monty Python. They had some great material. Their best films are 'Holy Grail' and 'The Meaning of Life'.