\m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/ Isn't it funny that Halford writes about similar characters in his lyrics? You know, the lone renegade, leather clad bringer of salvation who rides into town, laying waste to the oppressors of the people. And then bumming them, probably. Can you name as many of them as you can? I'll start off with: Painkiller Sinner Leather Rebel Exciter The Sentinel Leather Rebel Hell Bent For Leather Running Wild

• 2 weeks later...

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/ I have to say, I hate Priest. Everything I've heard is bad. There are some good riffs, but as soon as the songs start properly, they are let down by the weak singing, the weak production, the weak playing... just weak. Seriously, Hell Bent For Leather? Great riff, but then Halfords singing is as thin as a schoolgirls... something and it just takes the whole song down with it. Never liked them, never will.

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/ Whether or not you like his voice, Halford is anything but a weak singer. Having seen them live, I can tell you that he sings and screams better than most that are 1/3 his age. His tone is great, his delivery is dramatic and powerful, his vocal lines are always well composed, I'm not really sure what's not to like. If you're only familiar with the more mainstream 80's stuff, I could see that being part of the problem, as they really took a dive with their poppy direction in that decade, save for albums where they located their balls before recording, like Defenders of the Faith. Also, even with the somewhat thin guitar tone on their 70's albums, which was hardly atypical for the time, they composed some of the best riffs and songs of any metal band ever. If you're really just familiar with stuff like the singles you hear on the radio, you've definitely got to give their heavier material a chance.

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/

I have to say' date=' I hate Priest. Everything I've heard is bad. There are some good riffs, but as soon as the songs start properly, they are let down by the weak singing, the weak production, the weak playing... [b']just weak. Seriously, Hell Bent For Leather? Great riff, but then Halfords singing is as thin as a schoolgirls... something and it just takes the whole song down with it. Never liked them, never will.
That's your prerogative, mate-nobody can make you like something (I've never like Metallica). But I think your wrong about them being weak. Certainly the '70s album can sound a bit over-produced, but listen to Unleashed or Painkiller and you'll maybe get a better feel for the band. Painkiller is, IMO, the most underrated metal album ever.

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/ Probably an age/generation perspective I'm taking, but the guys I knew who loved Priest in the '70s shunned that album as 'thrash'. Plus the press didn't go totally over the top about it at the time. They would if it came out tomorrow (one guy who did was Tommy Vance, playing 2 tracks on his Radio 1 show and generally raving about it.) I think it's recognised by today's generation of metal fans as the classic it is and it's grown gradually to be accepted by the older fans as a classic, but it's taken time. And when you compare some of the tracks like the title track, Leather Rebel, All Guns Blazing etc. it certainly is a step up in pace and delivery from previous efforts. I remember when Halford left that KK Downing said in an interview that Rob wanted to take them in a heavier direction and he said that, basically, Painkiller was a one-off and 'as heavy as we'll get'. Unfortunately, my generation of metal fans (and the one before mine) did not like change or anything radical, and Painkiller was radical for Priest. But some of the same generation now see that album as the gem it is, but many still don't. Sorry for sounding preachy, guys, but just trying to explain where I'm coming from!

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/ Actually, I think Demolition was heavier than Jugulator. Jugulator was the logical continuation of the sound they explored with Painkiller. Jugulator beats the shit out of Demolition however. That was one of the worst Priest albums ever. It was an alright Metal album but it didn't sound like Priest. I wish they'd stayed with the heavier sound when Halford came back. Angel of Retribution will always be the worst Judas Priest album of all time. The band took 12 large leaps backwards on that one.

Re: \m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/

Actually' date=' I think Demolition was heavier than Jugulator. Jugulator was the logical continuation of the sound they explored with Painkiller. Jugulator beats the shit out of Demolition however. That was one of the worst Priest albums ever. It was an alright Metal album but it didn't sound like Priest. I wish they'd stayed with the heavier sound when Halford came back. Angel of Retribution will always be the worst Judas Priest album of all time. The band took 12 large leaps backwards on that one.[/quote'] Was listening to 'Angel' just last week and it is really week. Nostradamus is an absolute masterpiece, if not falling into the traditional Priest sound. There's no doubt that the early, classic albums sound weak, and definitely are over produced. Not much that can be done about that now, but the songs are so strong that it doesn't matter too much. Painkiller still sounds as fresh today as it did 22 years ago when it came out.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Toss up between Screaming.., Sad Wings.. and Stained Class. Went for Screaming... in the end. Jugulator is terrible btw. The thing about Painkiller is not only is it a great JP album it's also a fantastic metal album, one that kicked the arses of several other releases in 1990 (1990 was a good year release wise - Rust In Peace, Seasons In The Abyss, Cowboys From Hell, Left Hand Path...)

'Screaming.' Even the artwork is great. :) Of course, with most Judas Priest albums, you can't go wrong, but there are all those songs you can shout along to in your car... I've probably run more yellow lights while I had Judas Priest on the stereo than anybody else. :)