\m/ JUDAS PRIEST! \m/

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'll agree that Defenders is easily their best 80's album, but still doesn't hold a candle to the trio of genius in Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

What you are saying is true but only because SIDE B of "Defenders" is not as good as SIDE A. 

The first four tracks of "Defenders" are heavy metal heaven.

Now that you mentioned "Sin After Sin"... would you agree that the main riff of "Sinner" is a twist on "Born to Be Wild"? :D

I don't know about you, but for years I listened to Judas Priest via the 2002 remasters... only to find out years later that the guy who remastered those butchered away in a mess of compression and loudness a lot of the cool nuances of those records!

For instance, the drier original "Sin After Sin" is naturally thinner than the remaster but gives the opportunity to taste every kick of the double bass drum performed by then teenager Simon Philips! His drum parts are awesome! The whole platter is... especially "Dissident Aggressor" and "Call for the Priest"!

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

I'll agree that Defenders is easily their best 80's album, but still doesn't hold a candle to the trio of genius in Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class.

What you are saying is true but only because SIDE B of "Defenders" is not as good as SIDE A. 

The first four tracks of "Defenders" are heavy metal heaven.

Now that you mentioned "Sin After Sin"... would you agree that the main riff of "Sinner" is a twist on "Born to Be Wild"? [emoji3]

I don't know about you, but for years I listened to Judas Priest via the 2002 remasters... only to find out years later that the guy who remastered those butchered away in a mess of compression and loudness a lot of the cool nuances of those records!

For instance, the drier original "Sin After Sin" is naturally thinner than the remaster but gives the opportunity to taste every kick of the double bass drum performed by then teenager Simon Philips! His drum parts are awesome! The whole platter is... especially "Dissident Aggressor" and "Call for the Priest"!

It is a bit front-loaded like Painkiller, but even those first 4 tracks don't come close to their counterparts in their 70's masterworks. Born to be Wild does have a cool charging riff, but I would be more inclined to say that Communication Breakdown is a twist on it than Sinner.

Remasters in general tend to be a waste, limiting the dynamic range by maximizing loudness, but originals aren't always easy to come by. I just wish they would end the needless practice, since they would save money by not having the studio hours to make it sound worse, and it is almost never a benefit to the overall sound.

• 1 year later...

After many years of listening to this band I have finally ranked all the albums to my preference (i'm going to get a lot of weird looks for this one methinks xD)

1.Stained Class
2.Defenders of the Faith
3.Painkiller
4.Jugulator
5.Screaming for Vengeance
6.Demolition
7.Firepower
8.Ram it Down
9.Point of Entry
10.British Steel
11.Sin after Sin
12.Sad Wings of Destiny
13.Turbo
14.Nostradamus
15.Killing Machine
16.Rocka Rolla
17.Redeemer of Souls
18.Angel of Retribution

Well I'd rate their work as follows

1. Stained Class

2. Defenders of the Faith

3. Painkiller

4. Sad Wings of Destiny

5. Sin After Sin

6. Screaming For Vengeance

7. Jugulator

8. Nostradamus

9. Firepower

10. Killing Machine

11. Angel of Retribution

12. Demolition

13. Rocka Rolla

14. British Steel

15. Point of Entry

16. Ram It Down

17. Redeemer of Souls

18. Turbo

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/9/2016 at 1:28 PM, Thrashman said:

I only discovered them 12 albums into their career, when I was about ten and they had released Painkiller. A Touch Of Evil blew me away, and Night Crawler. Never went much further than that for me though. I developed a soft spot for Breaking The Law, and more recently the title track from Redeemer Of Souls, but that's about it. I'd love to see them live though, and Rob Halford is a legend.

I recently added an original pressing of Painkiller to the collection.

...and made myself this compilation (having procured the wavs legitimately, I might add : )

HjPDkGV.jpg

Also picked this up:

A0VnFtK.jpg

Seem to be getting a lot more into them now, in my old age.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I got over them not long after Painkiller.  Rarely play their stuff nowadays but they were never a founding band for me unlike Maiden who I had lots of exposure to their early material from the start of my metal journey.  I don’t have high hopes for them moving forwards, despite Firepower being a strong release.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bainesy1us said:

Cant agree with them being better than Maiden but there are one of the best. Just a little too inconsitant for me. Some real classics like, Stained Class, Screaming and Painkiller but some duffers too namely the god awful Nostradamus.

Hiding within the bloated mess of Nostradamus is a solid 35-40 minute album of great material (like every classic album they ever made). It was the hubris of too many intros and synth bits that sunk it. Yet, I would take it over Firepower any day, which is just too generic and ironically for me suffers because it doesn't take chances.

Love me some Priest, but I have to agree they have some real janky tunes I could live without. Could say the same about Maiden and plenty of other old school bands. I think the good stuff far outweighs the bad though. The later albums are mixed at best for me. Painkiller and Angel of Retribution have a few good tunes. I liked the title track from Firepower. Never heard anything from Nostradamus. Probably a few more songs here and there, but when I go to listen to Priest, it's normally Defenders back (74-84).