Travel

Iceni

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 17/05/2012 at 9:06 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

Re: Travel I've always wanted to check out Europe, but would also like to revisit South America. My trip to Bolivia was fantastic, I loved the culture, the food, the people, everything about it just made me feel at home in a way, something I don't really feel in my current location. Also, Hawaii is a great place where I liked all of the same things I mentioned about Bolivia, but I would have to become pretty wealthy to afford to live there. As for future travels, most places in Europe are on my agenda for places to check out, as well as Australia. My brother in law traveled to Australia and New Zealand a few years back and loved both areas, so I would like to go as well. I would probably just have to go when it's not insanely hot.

Blut aus nerd New Zealand is really worth visiting when covid drops off to allow travel again. I went to north island around five years ago.  It's probably best place I've traveled too. Lots of good places to visit.  Very unspoilt. It reminded me of southern California but without the freeways.? Down side is it's super expensive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I've always wanted to tour Eastern Europe/the former Soviet states. I'm fascinated by the Soviet Union, because it existed in my lifetime and then one day when I was about 5 years old, just ceased to exist anymore. I don't get to travel though, I don't have that kind of money or resources and since I have a criminal record I doubt I'll ever be allowed to leave the US just to go check a country out.

I've always wanted to go to Ukraine and see Nokturnal Mortum and all the related bands though. Maybe someday I will, when all of this Covid19 crap is over and I have some money saved up.

I really don't have any inclination to travel outside of Australia, maybe a cruise around Australia, maybe even to New Zealand but no further. It's not a covid thing either I've just never really had the inclination to go that far from home. I know there is things I'd like in other countries but I just can't be bothered.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, KillaKukumba said:

It's not a covid thing either I've just never really had the inclination to go that far from home. I know there is things I'd like in other countries but I just can't be bothered.

The only reason why I want to go to Eastern Europe is because I'm ethnically a Slav. I have no desire to see Western Europe whatsoever, it has nothing to do with me. Same goes for Asia. I get that it's got a lot of natural beauty and that's something that I can appreciate, but I wouldn't be willing to be on a plane for the amount of time it would take to get to the area. The longest I could probably do on a plane would be the time it took to get to Poland and then cross by land into Ukraine, Belarus & Russia.

I just can't be bothered spending all that money on a tour of another country. If I'm going to live out of a swag I'm doing it in my own backyard. I've driven across this country too many times to count. I've driven around the country once for my own recreation. There is so much I still haven't seen which I'd prefer to see before I see anything else.

Not sure when it will be yet but my next trip is going to be covering central New South Wales and Southern Queensland. We'll spend a week or two out in the red dirt just touring around and stopping where we want to. There is a tour I want to do which is "5 Days In A Plane" which is a sightseeing tour where they do five different flight tours over 4 days in a Cesna. They only take 6 people at a time and it's really just a chance to get to see things from an angle we don't usually get to see it from. But I'd much rather something like that rather than going over seas.

I've always wanted to drive around the US with a camper/trailer. I think it would be so cool and interesting to just go to all of the different little places in this country that you wouldn't necessarily go to, just to see their roadside attractions and "claims to fame". I could spend months alone just touring the I95 corridor to see all of the cities and towns.

It's something I actually hope to do someday if I can ever get myself a camper and a vehicle to pull one. I'd start in the South, head North and do the whole New England thing for a summer, then head through the upper Midwest and see all the states I've never been to (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc) and head further West through the great plains and Montana/Wyoming until I got to Washington, then I'd check out that and Oregon and drive South through the desert and loop around back through the lower Midwest to see what they have going on. I'd likely skip California, not too much going on out there that interests me.

See, the reason I want a camper/caravan is because I would use it as my metal lair when I wasn't on the road. I could decorate it however I wanted and not have to worry about redoing it before we go to sell the house. I wouldn't get a huge one, just one that had a small galley, wet bath, and a bedroom. I've wanted one for years but I've never been in the financial position to get one because I was working pretty sporadically for the most part and I don't finance things or use credit (don't need to with my living arrangement), so I have never been able to get one (yet). I'm working on paying off some debts and saving money now, so when we sell the house, there might be money left over for me to get one but if there isn't, it's no big deal. I understand that you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need and I've got pretty much everything that I need at this juncture as I try to get back on my feet.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Sydney's average for summer months is only 26 degrees. This year they broke the record for most consecutive days below 30 degrees and it was something like 330 days. Sure they get temps into the 40's occasionally but in the last 13 years the highest recorded temps for the year has only peaked over 40 six times with the max temp being 43. Even Melbourne which is generally colder than Sydney by 4-5 degrees has had 9 years out of the same 13 with max temps over 40, and a max of 46. Neither cities are that hot.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Sydney's average for summer months is only 26 degrees. This year they broke the record for most consecutive days below 30 degrees and it was something like 330 days. Sure they get temps into the 40's occasionally but in the last 13 years the highest recorded temps for the year has only peaked over 40 six times with the max temp being 43. Even Melbourne which is generally colder than Sydney by 4-5 degrees has had 9 years out of the same 13 with max temps over 40, and a max of 46. Neither cities are that hot.

It has a lot to do with what you're used to though. Temperatures are all relative is what I'm saying. I don't enjoy temps over 26° (79°F) but I can deal with them for 2 or 3 months out of the year. Anything over 30°C to me (86°F) is too fucking hot. In my opinion anything up over 34°C (93°F) is absolutely fucking disgusting and I want no part of it. Most summers we'll get a handful of days around 34° or 35°C and I do my best to stay inside in the A/C on those days. I'm sure Australians like you and Blivvie are more used to these kinds of temps than I am. Any place on the planet that has the potential to get temps over 37°C (human body temp 98.6F) more than like one or two days per decade is someplace I don't want to be. Nevermind 40° (104°F) and above, that's fucking insane to me, we just don't ever get temps that high here in the northeastern US. The time I was in Sydney (Dec '16 -Jan '17) must have been during a particularly hot summer because for those 5 weeks I think there were more days at least 40° or above than there were below. It was horrible.

But give me a nice crisp 40°F day here in the US (4°C) and I'm totally fine with that. Right now it's early spring and we've just had our first two or three warm days this week with highs into the mid 70's (24°C) and already I don't like it. But it still gets cold at night this time of year down around or below the freezing mark every night so the warm part of the day only lasts a few hours in the afternoon. Right now at 6:30pm it's just starting to get dark and it has aready come down to 69° (20°C) and this is a good temp. If we coud just have guaranteed temps no hotter than 18° - 20°C (65° - 70°F) all year round I'd be thriled with that.

11 hours ago, CentipedeAbyss said:

I have family roots there, Its a place Id like to visit, Id also love top pick up a resined Huntsman spider or one of them sydney funnel spiders.

I love my animals btw, its partly the eco system that is the draw... madagscar is too hot

Bad idea, funnel webs are nasty if you get bitten.

See GG I think anything under 16°C is too cold, unless I’m specifically going there because it snows.

Blivve would be more used to it than me. Adelaide is fucking terrible for heat. For the same 13 year period Adelaide has had all 13 years high temps peak over 40 with the highest temp being 48 degrees.

Sydney and Melbourne's problem is humidity more than heat. 45 degrees in Sydney and Melbourne even as far up as Brisbane, makes people sweat and feel uncomfortable. It's like putting on 4 jumpers and 3 pairs of pants then jumping into bed with an electric blanket and 5 top blankets when it's 25 degrees, you'll start sweating and wont stop, and unless you're some sort of werido no one enjoys that.  Whereas 45 degrees in a place like Perth feels warm and you definitely want to hide from the sun so as not to get burned, but it's so dry that you don't really sweat in the same way so it's more comfortable. Beyond Brissie and around to Darwin and summer is the wet season so it's very tropical, very hot, and wet but it's year around so it's easier to acclimatise too.

My longest stint above 40 is 22 days when we went to Perth back in about '09. There was barely any relief, even at night but it wasn't as bad as a week above 40 in Melbourne. At the same time in Perth we had my wife's sister and family visiting from up in Tom Price and they were going on and on about how much cooler it was in Perth than where they'd come from that hadn't seen days below 40 for something like 3 months and hit peaks of 49 and as high as 51.

Yeah that’s why I’ve been complaining that last/this year we didn’t get a summer, I think we had two weeks when the temperature was over 30. Still, though the most uncomfortable I’ve ever been was one day in Vietnam when it was 40° at 90% humidity, I can cope with one or the other not both.

27 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Blivve would be more used to it than me. Adelaide is fucking terrible for heat. For the same 13 year period Adelaide has had all 13 years high temps peak over 40 with the highest temp being 48 degrees.

Sydney and Melbourne's problem is humidity more than heat. 45 degrees in Sydney and Melbourne even as far up as Brisbane, makes people sweat and feel uncomfortable. It's like putting on 4 jumpers and 3 pairs of pants then jumping into bed with an electric blanket and 5 top blankets when it's 25 degrees, you'll start sweating and wont stop, and unless you're some sort of werido no one enjoys that.  Whereas 45 degrees in a place like Perth feels warm and you definitely want to hide from the sun so as not to get burned, but it's so dry that you don't really sweat in the same way so it's more comfortable. Beyond Brissie and around to Darwin and summer is the wet season so it's very tropical, very hot, and wet but it's year around so it's easier to acclimatise too.

My longest stint above 40 is 22 days when we went to Perth back in about '09. There was barely any relief, even at night but it wasn't as bad as a week above 40 in Melbourne. At the same time in Perth we had my wife's sister and family visiting from up in Tom Price and they were going on and on about how much cooler it was in Perth than where they'd come from that hadn't seen days below 40 for something like 3 months and hit peaks of 49 and as high as 51.

Yes we get very high humidity here as well which is why I can't stand the heat. It's really all the sweating I hate. Even many days when it's not particularly hot, even early in the morning sometimes you'll be soaked with sweat if you try to do any work outside because of the oppressive humidity. 70, 80, 90% humidity is normal here. But I tried living out west where it's much drier, 10, 20, 30% humidity and that was no good either, the excessive dryness combined with the altitude was as bad or worse than the heat and humidity back east.

The year of the big bushfires here, 2009, we did have some hot days but it was the slightly cooler days that felt the weirdest. After a week of 40's and high winds we dropped into the mid to high 30's but the humidity made all the floor tiles sweat and the patio pavers were all wet from water rising from the ground. It was a strange feeling walking through the kitchen at 7am and feeling wet under your feet.