Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
The Strategos

Metal Forum Top 10 Power Metal Bands

64 posts in this topic

Re: Metal Forum Top 10 Power Metal Bands

Well' date=' I personally would put Symphony X at maybe 12th place or something.[/quote'] More prog than power, but I was more inquiring about bands like Riot, Jag Panzer, Helstar, Savatage, Crimson Glory, early Fates Warning, early Queensryche, etc... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

More prog than power' date=' but I was more inquiring about bands like Riot, Jag Panzer, Helstar, Savatage, Crimson Glory, early Fates Warning, early Queensryche, etc...[/quote'] Well, their early material sounds more power metal to me. I'm in the minority in that I actually think Iconoclast is the best Symphony X album. Crimson Glory is good but for some reason I don't like them. I listened to Awaken The Guardian once and don't remember liking it too much though maybe I should try it again. I suppose I should check out Savatage, I've always adored Zak Stevens' voice. What's a good album to start with for them?

Well, their early material sounds more power metal to me. I'm in the minority in that I actually think Iconoclast is the best Symphony X album. Crimson Glory is good but for some reason I don't like them. I listened to Awaken The Guardian once and don't remember liking it too much though maybe I should try it again. I suppose I should check out Savatage, I've always adored Zak Stevens' voice. What's a good album to start with for them?
Gutter Ballet is where I would start, which is the last album with Criss Oliva on guitar before his death, and is also the last album for a few years with Jon Oliva on vocals. I'm honestly not familiar with their output after that, I've heard a few tracks here and there, but nothing that stood out to me as memorable. Maybe give Awaken the Guardian another try, but definitely check out No Exit. If Awaken the Guardian sounds better this time around, try out The Spectre Within as well. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

How are there no US power metal bands on that list? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Easily answered question: I simply don't have enough albums by bands or their discography isn't consistent enough for me to justify placing them in said list. Mind you Blind Guardian and Harmony should both be removed from my list for that same reason.

Helstar-A Distant Thunder Vicious Rumors-Digital Dictator Sleepy Hollow-Sleepy Hollow Jag Panzer-Ample Destruction Enchanter-Defenders of the Realm Fates Warning-Awaken the Guardian Manilla Road-Open the Gates Blind Guardian-Imaginations from the other side Dark Quarterer-The Etruscan Prophecy Virgin Steele-Invictus I am leaving a ton out.

On 12/7/2013 at 9:17 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

Gutter Ballet is where I would start, which is the last album with Criss Oliva on guitar before his death

Edge of Thorns, actually. 

Well top 10 power metal bands...

1. Helloween

2. Blind Guardian

3. Rhapsody of Fire

4. Stratovarius

5. Kamelot

6. Avantasia

7. Sonata Arctica

8. Hammerfall

9. Iced Earth

10. Gamma Ray 

Requiem and Skull_Kollektor gave this Horns Up!

I'm not totally across the entire genre as far as knowledge goes, but I think I can manage ten. In order from Supreme Wizard to Tavern Servant: 

1. Blind Guardian

2. Luca Turilli's Rhapsody

3. Rhapsody of Fire

4. Helloween

5. Sonata Arctica

6. Dragonforce

7. Statovarius

8. Primal Fear

9. Kamelot

10. Iced Earth

Skull_Kollektor gave this Horns Up!

I can only list bands from "way back". And I now realize that I can only list German bands.

1. Helloween (up to Keepers)

2. Running Wild (from Port Royal up to The Rivalry included... before that it was heavy/speed metal and after that it's been a sad joke)

3. Blind Guardian

4. Gamma Ray

5. Scanner (first two records)

6. Rage

7. Grave Digger (from "The Reaper" onwards, prior to the 90's reunion they did not use enough double bass drum)

8. Mania 

9. Iron Savior

10. Primal Fear

Although I have that ridiculous box set with all the Iced Earth albums until Horror Show included, I do hate them with a vengeance. Stormrider is sort of good if not great, but whenever I give a try to the other albums I get bored to death. The cover album Tribute to the Gods is also good, but those are covers...

Here's a list of US 80's power(ish) metal bands I like:

1. Malice

2. Crimson Glory

3. Metal Church

4. Lizzy Borden

5. Armored Saint

6. Vicious Rumors

7. Fifth Angel 

8. Leatherwolf

9. Helstar

10. Wild Dogs

I'm keeping both Manowar, Omen and Virgin Steel out of this chart because I'd rather lump them in the Epic Metal camp. It's also fair to say that most of these bands used to border on straight heavy metal (Malice) or flirt with thrash metal (Metal Church, Vicious Rumors)... but hey, in the days of "Kill em All" even Metallica were labeled "power metal" or "the Us answer to "Fast as a Shark"!

Requiem gave this Horns Up!

Yeah, Iced Earth are generally a terrible band. They only appeared at number 10 on my list because I ran out of power metal bands that I knew much about. Apart from 'The Glorious Burden' I really find them about as interesting as doing a tax return. 

I can only list bands from "way back". And I now realize that I can only list German bands.

1. Helloween (up to Keepers)

2. Running Wild (from Port Royal up to The Rivalry included... before that it was heavy/speed metal and after that it's been a sad joke)

3. Blind Guardian

4. Gamma Ray

5. Scanner (first two records)

6. Rage

7. Grave Digger (from "The Reaper" onwards, prior to the 90's reunion they did not use enough double bass drum)

8. Mania 

9. Iron Savior

10. Primal Fear

Although I have that ridiculous box set with all the Iced Earth albums until Horror Show included, I do hate them with a vengeance. Stormrider is sort of good if not great, but whenever I give a try to the other albums I get bored to death. The cover album Tribute to the Gods is also good, but those are covers...

Here's a list of US 80's power(ish) metal bands I like:

1. Malice

2. Crimson Glory

3. Metal Church

4. Lizzy Borden

5. Armored Saint

6. Vicious Rumors

7. Fifth Angel 

8. Leatherwolf

9. Helstar

10. Wild Dogs

I'm keeping both Manowar, Omen and Virgin Steel out of this chart because I'd rather lump them in the Epic Metal camp. It's also fair to say that most of these bands used to border on straight heavy metal (Malice) or flirt with thrash metal (Metal Church, Vicious Rumors)... but hey, in the days of "Kill em All" even Metallica were labeled "power metal" or "the Us answer to "Fast as a Shark"!

Pretty much all of those choices would count as power metal, other than Manowar anyway. Who cares if you can only list the old stuff? New power metal is shit!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Skull_Kollektor gave this Horns Up!

Fuck yeah! And I want to stress that I love MALICE!

It's so close to Priest, I cannot but adore them!

I have this theory. Once upon a time in the 80's there were three bands in Portland, Oregon. One band chose the Def Leppard route, another the Judas Priest route and the third one the Saxon route.

Those three bands drove all the way down to California and swapped members in the process.

I am talking about Black n Blue, Malice and Wild Dogs.

Those were the days.