anime/manga

RelentlessOblivion

pU2i2wmxPVU
Yeah, definitely too soft. It's something I'd like to wach if I'm ten years younger. Now I'd wach it if I want something that brings me back to childhood. But I'd rather watch Digimon in that case.
I'll see your pumpkins and raise you delicious ultra-violence GEUvFm3O1MQ
I'm all up for ultra violence! And this is one more reason for you to watch Elfen Lied. And Tokyo Ghoul too. Anyway, I finished first season of Tokyo Ghoul in one night. Now I'm gonna start second.

The other thing I liked about Trinity Blood was the soundtrack, for the most part it's pretty good as you see in that video, unfortunately the series gets a little softer as things progress and the storyline isn't compelling enough in the anime to justify such a shift. I've read a bit of the manga and that has all the best parts of the anime with more politics so it's just better full stop.

Yeah' date=' definitely too soft. It's something I'd like to wach if I'm ten years younger. Now I'd wach it if I want something that brings me back to childhood. But I'd rather watch Digimon in that case.[/quote'] Fair enough, I love Nichijou's humour and I'm not really a fan of serious anime but I can see why some would find it a bit childish and soft.

I'd prefer not to watch the dubs but needs must I guess.
I don't know, I usually prefer the dubs. The one where that wasn't the case was Soul Eater because Lord Death had this hysterical nasal honking voice in the Japanese version but a sort of wispy, whimsical midget-in-a-Harry-Potter-movie kinda voice. Fairy Tail, Trigun and FMA Brotherhood, by contrast, are much better dubbed. The humor in Fairy Tail in particular is a lot better when I can hear in English.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Akame ga Kill recently and while it kinda sucks that the pacing was so breakneck sometimes (as there seemed to be plot points like the romance that just kinda popped up outta nowhere) and that the main character seemed a little dull, it's still by a massive margin one of the most enjoyable animes I've ever seen. In a sense it's even a strength; you'd be hard-pressed to find any filler nonsense anywhere. It's got the vibrant color palette and excellent character design from Fairy Tail along with the good fights and blood from Soul Eater. The show also has a nice sense of humor along with its dark tone (never gets too big for its britches in that regard) a fun and surprisingly nuanced and relatable set of villains with their own fun group dynamic and a great main villain who is herself deceptively simple.

Also this guy, who has a buzzsaw mace. You hear that? A f*cking buzzsaw mace!

tumblr_nbx6u9QZ8G1r7zf0fo3_400.gif

Edited by Iceni

• 2 months later...

I'm revisiting Initial D and my thoughts are more or less the same. Racing sequences aside it's a worthless anime. Choice of cars is interesting I guess sticking the chief protagonist in the Toyota Trueno though I have more of an affinity for the secondary protagonists RX-7s. An anime about the Japanese drift racing scene could have been interesting if done right. Given drift racing is really the only form of motorsport which has ever managed to interest me it's disappointing to see how clumsy this particular anime is. Tough to suspend belief enough to buy into the idea that a professional racing spec engine could find its way into a standard road car as well.

Yeah I've known about that for a while and it's kind of interested me but these days I can't see well enough to read subtitles and keep up with what's going on at the same time. If there was a dubbed version I'd watch it I mean hey can't be worse then Fast And The Furious can it?

Anyway just started on Gundam Wing recently. I remember seeing it as part of a big anime block years ago with I think Initial D, InuYasha, Trinity Blood, and some other anime that escapes recollection. Characters are a little one-dimensional and it isn't even close to as violent as I was hoping but I guess giant robots in epilepsy inducing combat scenes is kind of cool. I'm only about 4 episodes in so far though so nothing's had time to grow I guess. Also watched the first episode of Digimon recently and quickly remembered why I always preferred Pokemon.

Worse than Fast and Furious? Yeah it is, if you find the drama scenes on the anime version totally boring then don't watch it.

There is  this one gundam anime I can't recall that I really loved as a kid. I remember getting into it cause the robot mimics the pilot's movement; not just pilot sits with control sticks. Aside from that anime  I really didn't like any other gundam animes.

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies