anime/manga

RelentlessOblivion

just wondering if anyone here is interested in anime and manga, and if so which ones, bear in mind I'm not talking about the little kid crap here by the way personally I don't like most of what I've read or seen, at this point it's pretty much only Death Note and trinity Blood, also when I'm watching it I hate watching anything that has english subtitles, I prefer the dubbed versions unless the voice work sucks then I can put up with the subtitles

Re: anime/manga I was an anime fan before I got into metal, and can still watch some of it occasionally, though not to the degree I once did. The only one I still have a large attraction to is Neon Genesis Evangelion, easily the best anime I've ever seen, and I still try to watch the series and movies every couple of years.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I've watched both versions of Hellsing, which were bloody awful (literally; both bloody and awful). I've also seen Trigun, which was interesting and had one really good villain but otherwise didn't really stick in my mind. I watched Madoka Magica, and although the science was absolute horse dung the story was superbly done and very impactful. ..and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is the best I've ever seen on a television. The series is absolutely spectacular and I loved it.

• 4 weeks later...
Death Note is brilliant' date=' just brilliant, I don't really watch much anime. It's only Death Note and Trinity Blood which have managed to catch my attention. I'm sure there's some other good ones out there but I can't really be bothered searching for them.[/quote'] You should definitely try Elfen Lied. It only has 13 episodes but it's a beautiful story. And it's bloody and brutal. I also liked Hellsing, mostly because Alucard is a bad-ass vamp.

You should definitely try Elfen Lied. It only has 13 episodes but it's a beautiful story. And it's bloody and brutal. I also liked Hellsing' date=' mostly because Alucard is a bad-ass vamp.[/quote'] Alucard is bad. Alucard is ass. That does not make him bad-ass. He is genuinely one of the most horrible and disgusting characters I've ever seen in anything. Any hero that has me rooting for the Nazis has clearly failed spectacularly. Elfen Lied does interest me, though - the fact that the story hangs together might just make me watch it.

Alucard is bad. Alucard is ass. That does not make him bad-ass. He is genuinely one of the most horrible and disgusting characters I've ever seen in anything. Any hero that has me rooting for the Nazis has clearly failed spectacularly. Elfen Lied does interest me, though - the fact that the story hangs together might just make me watch it.
Hahahaha ok I realize Alcuard is one of those characters you either love or hate :D The firs scene of Elfen Lied - a girl is escaping from some kind of laboratory and everyone around her is dying and you have no idea how she's killing them. It seems like it will be all about killing and chaos but in the end, it's a story that makes you thing about a lot of things.

Good! I like stories that raise philosophical questions.

Hahahaha ok I realize Alcuard is one of those characters you either love or hate :D
I apologize if I'm being a bit of an asshole, especially since you're new, but I have absolutely no idea what redeeming qualities Alucard possesses. He genuinely seems totally devoid of anything praiseworthy or even enjoyable to witness. Ladd Russo is just batcrap insane so I see why people love watching him - hell, Barry The Chopper was one of my favorite characters from FMA. The concept of the 'deliciously evil' villain is not foreign to me, but Alucard is portrayed as the guy we should be rooting for and we're given no reason why.

Good! I like stories that raise philosophical questions. I apologize if I'm being a bit of an asshole, especially since you're new, but I have absolutely no idea what redeeming qualities Alucard possesses. He genuinely seems totally devoid of anything praiseworthy or even enjoyable to witness. Ladd Russo is just batcrap insane so I see why people love watching him - hell, Barry The Chopper was one of my favorite characters from FMA. The concept of the 'deliciously evil' villain is not foreign to me, but Alucard is portrayed as the guy we should be rooting for and we're given no reason why.
You are not being an asshole, at least I don't get offended easily, you are expressing your view of a character that you don't like and that is absolutely fine. I see Alucard as someone who can't be fully understood, it can't really be said why he does the things he does, why he turned Victoria and what he feels or doesn't feel for Integra. Maybe he is shown better in the manga, but in the anime, he's character is not fully... explained. That's what I like about him. That he does thing for reasons that are known only to him. I haven't seen the last episode of Hellsing OVA so maybe all this is bullshit but that's how I see it :D

I see Alucard as someone who can't be fully understood' date=' it can't really be said why he does the things he does, why he turned Victoria and what he feels or doesn't feel for Integra. Maybe he is shown better in the manga, but in the anime, he's character is not fully... explained. That's what I like about him. That he does thing for reasons that are known only to him. I haven't seen the last episode of Hellsing OVA so maybe all this is bullshit but that's how I see it :D[/quote'] I couldn't be arsed watching the last episode either. Maybe the manga is better, but to have as your protagonist someone who's totally incomprehensible seems like a literary dead end. If there were some thread, something to make him interesting, something to make us want to learn about him, something to make us feel sorry for him, then that'd be fine. Oddball protagonists aren't totally unknown. But I can't get behind his sadism, nor can I properly understand why Integra tells him to do what he does. There's a particularly rubbish scene where she tells him to kill a SWAT team and then acts absolutely horrorstruck when he does exactly what she bloody told him to do. The only interesting thing about Alucard is his relationship with Anderson, so when Anderson died Alucard went right back to being worthless. My spitball theory is that Alucard knows he's evil and so he wanted Anderson to kill him. The only way Alucard sees to redeem himself is by 'doing God's work' in relentless bloodshed, but he also knows that that is what makes him evil. As a result, he keep racking up sin even by his attempts to serve God - and therefore wants to be killed by a saint. Of course, all this is pure speculation because none of it makes sense in the show. The one thing I think I hate more than any of the other absolutely awful things about Hellsing is the way it handles Christianity. The creator seems not to have understood the faintest thing about the religion and just co-opted bits of the lore and symbols in the most insultingly maladroit fashion.

I couldn't be arsed watching the last episode either. Maybe the manga is better, but to have as your protagonist someone who's totally incomprehensible seems like a literary dead end. If there were some thread, something to make him interesting, something to make us want to learn about him, something to make us feel sorry for him, then that'd be fine. Oddball protagonists aren't totally unknown. But I can't get behind his sadism, nor can I properly understand why Integra tells him to do what he does. There's a particularly rubbish scene where she tells him to kill a SWAT team and then acts absolutely horrorstruck when he does exactly what she bloody told him to do. The only interesting thing about Alucard is his relationship with Anderson, so when Anderson died Alucard went right back to being worthless. My spitball theory is that Alucard knows he's evil and so he wanted Anderson to kill him. The only way Alucard sees to redeem himself is by 'doing God's work' in relentless bloodshed, but he also knows that that is what makes him evil. As a result, he keep racking up sin even by his attempts to serve God - and therefore wants to be killed by a saint. Of course, all this is pure speculation because none of it makes sense in the show. The one thing I think I hate more than any of the other absolutely awful things about Hellsing is the way it handles Christianity. The creator seems not to have understood the faintest thing about the religion and just co-opted bits of the lore and symbols in the most insultingly maladroit fashion.
I totally agree on the Anderson part. I think Alcurad is, in a way, sick and tired of life and that he really hoped Anderson will be able to kill him. He always says only a human can kill a monster so I hoped they will show what he meant by it. Unfortunately, it's not unusual that there are a lot of thing left unexplained in anime. It's the same with Japanese movies. Maybe is the cultural difference, they have a way of understanding things in a way that is unknown to us. Hellsing is not the first anime with thing left unsaid. I also don't like the whole religion part. It could have worked out just fine without it. And, I don't like Anderson because he is a religious freak, and I don't like people who are extreme in religion, music, sports, whatever.