Cooking

The Strategos

Re: Cooking If you like the flavor of charcoal/propane, well done is definitely the way to go, I like the taste of beef, so I prefer medium rare and/or rare. Ribeye is a decent cut, but as a fatty cut I end up disposing of much of it, so I don't use it much. I've eaten some pretty rare steaks, as well as raw fish, and have never had an issue.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cooking I steer clear of rib-eye whenever possible for that very reason, actually if you want a really lean steak with a bit of a different flavour try Kangaroo steaks, they're about the leanest red meat you can get and are awesome when cooked right (medium-rare no further or it will be too tough to eat) not entirely sure you'd get it there though Australia do export it but I'm not sure which countres we export it to

Re: Cooking

No shit' date=' I hate going to a restaurant and ordering medium rare and they fuck it up, it's really not that difficult, red center, pink around to the outside edge, juicy perfection. Actually, I'm the only one in my family that's allowed to use the grill regardless of who purchased the meat, I guess everyone prefers my way of grilling.[/quote'] That's exactly the way my dad wants his steaks, interestingly enough. Yeah, my family have actually started to entrust me with the grill because I usually seem to get the chicken just right. I am also our official burger-cooker, having had years of practice. :ugeek: But yeah, 'cooking' for me essentially encapsulates putting toppings on the burger. :| But outside of that my mom does the cooking, and what a wonderful job she does... A lovely recipe from page 143 of Chuck Schuldiner's cookbook 'Eat Bloody Gore'.

Re: Cooking oh yes Venison is great, pretty sure now that what I've caught is worse then a cold, gonna see the doctor tomorrow, and when I'm better I'll be back in the kitchen cooking up a storm, I've even managed to track down a recipe for rabbit which is something I've wanted to cook for a while now

Re: Cooking Never tried kangaroo, sounds interesting though, I like trying new things. I ate llama when I was in Bolivia, as well as "rangas" (tripe), and also recently had some rattlesnake sausage that was very tasty. @Strategos: How are you cooking your steaks, broiling? Frying? It would obviously not taste like charcoal/propane then, but I've never had a well done steak that was even remotely juicy or flavorful.

Re: Cooking rattlesnake huh? now that sounds interesting, hmmm lets see I've had duck (not that strange I know), Kangaroo, Wallaby (they're like mini-Kangaroos but the meat tastes quite different) Emu, Venison, Boar and Camel, the only one of those I wouldn't recommend is Camel, it's sour as hell, in the near future I plan on cooking rabbit, crocodile, quaill and goat

Re: Cooking Buffalo can get even more easily messed up than beef as far as overcooking goes. I had some pretty awesome food in South Africa - ostrich tastes almost exactly like beef but it's healthier. Boerewors, in the meantime, is merely the best sausage ever. I'd put it above most Italian sausages except the rather expensive gourmet ones. Sadly, you can't get it here, although I did recently find a hamburger that tastes similar. Also, you can't get Stoney's, which is a pretty strong ginger beer. It's non-alcoholic, but it makes the Jamaican ginger beer look like Kool-Aid by comparison. Again, it's only available in Africa.

Re: Cooking Bison is great, it stays juicy with less fat content. I've never had a bison steak, but bison burgers are awesome, we used to have a restaurant downtown that made a dynamite chipotle bison burger, but sadly they aren't around anymore. They also made an outstanding blackened salmon burger, and a Mediterranean lamb burger, actually everything they made was great.

Re: Cooking I've had lamb/beef burgers a couple times and they've always been great. We have several good Mediterranean restaurants; the only drawback to them is that they're a bit on the expensive side. But well worth it.

Re: Cooking Yeah, meat is great, I could never be a vegetarian/vegan. I do love and enjoy my fair share of vegetables, but living solely off of them is something I simply can't do. I have a love hate relationship with pork though, as I'm not big on ham, bacon, and less flavorful sausages, but I love many of the more slowly cooked forms of pork, when it's tender and juicy and just falls apart. Other than that, I can't really think of any meats I've had that I don't care for, from seafood to game to poultry, I've liked pretty much everything I've tried.

Re: Cooking

lucky bastard' date=' that does it I have got to get over to the US, and South Africa while I'm at it, my mission: to eat as many different kinds of animals as possible, with the obvious exception of really fucked up shit like whale or dog so I won't be going to japan or korea[/quote'] Awww, after me own heart. :lol:

Re: Cooking Aye. Lots of gigs come though Los Angeles and San Francisco, so I'd say if you want value for your money as far as airfare goes you probably ought to travel there. Pity the rest of us are fairly inland. :( Still, I may end up there...or on the exact other end of the country. :D

Re: Cooking as it so happens LA has been on a list of thing I want to do/see for a while now as have Vegas and NYC, unfortunately I've just blown a ton of money on something that wasn't on my list, booking a trip to Thailand, still the chance to eat some real, traditional Thai meals is gonnna be pretty cool