The Official Gothic Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Re: some good gothic metal bands?

Well, the thing is that the general opinion was the Symphonic was too diverse to have its own catagory, so bands like Epica have to go somewhere, as they sure as hell aren't Power. I plump for goth due to the dark atmosphere and deep and heavy chord progressions. To answer Satan59, I think the point of pidgeonholing is partly to help guide discussions/future listening choices and partly because, in keeping with metal in general, it is a male dominated genre. Thus, unto the laws of metal came the edict of the hairy man, that pegs shall be forced into holes, mattering not neither how square be the peg nor round be the hole!
Epica aren't dark. They're rated G at best. Nothing remotely Gothic about them. They also aren't that heavy. They are more in the Power/cookie cutter field than anything else. Just with keyboards a chick vocalist.

Epica aren't dark. They're rated G at best. Nothing remotely Gothic about them. They also aren't that heavy. They are more in the Power/cookie cutter field than anything else. Just with keyboards a chick vocalist.
No, NTNR, Epica are not cookie cutter. They have pushed the boundaries of classical crossover further than anybody else as well as having seriously philosophic lyrics. I think that they are pretty Goth, but if you don't that's absolutely fine. However, they are not power and, as I say, they are certainly not cookie-cutter.

No, NTNR, Epica are not cookie cutter. They have pushed the boundaries of classical crossover further than anybody else as well as having seriously philosophic lyrics. I think that they are pretty Goth, but if you don't that's absolutely fine. However, they are not power and, as I say, they are certainly not cookie-cutter.
Yes, they are bland cookie cutter power crap. They push the boundaries of boredom like no ones business. They're not goth. They don't even have hints of it in their sound. They just have generic been there, done that riffs and songs. The female fronted band thing has lost it's novelty and for some reason they're still around.

Re: some good gothic metal bands? O well. Definitely fighting a losing battle on Epica here. :| For my money, I like them a lot and I don't see that they're particularly generic either. That said, I may as well recommend Shadowplay and Ensoph, they're two good but very different...'gothic' metal bands. Ensoph's more industrial.

O well. Definitely fighting a losing battle on Epica here. :| For my money, I like them a lot and I don't see that they're particularly generic either. That said, I may as well recommend Shadowplay and Ensoph, they're two good but very different...'gothic' metal bands. Ensoph's more industrial.
A friend of mine hyped them up to be the best thing ever and they fell so far beneath my expectations they're still falling. Like who ever you want just call a spade a spade. 8-)

Re: some good gothic metal bands? Right then. I've just finished 'The Unforgiving'. I'd say 'Iron', 'In The Middle Of The Night' and 'Shot In The Dark' are the only musically strong songs on this album. The rest is either a bit mild or markedly boring. And the lyrics kinda suck for many songs. Ironically, this is one thing about Epica that annoys me: they don't generally produce a strong album. :evil: They do about three or four consistently strong songs per album, and then about two or three songs that are four minutes long but only get interesting at about 1:45. That essentially means I'm paying almost twice as much as I ought. Finally, they'll have three OK songs, and two ballads. I do wish they'd just go full bore on their classical and metal elements for an entire album, leave out the ballads and try to do more good guitar work. The same goes for the lyrics; this is one of Epica's weak points as well. They tend to be boring or vacuously preachy, but occasionally they will write a fairly good set of lines. In the case of WT, 'Murder' was a song on The Unforgiving that had cool lyrics.

Right then. I've just finished 'The Unforgiving'. I'd say 'Iron', 'In The Middle Of The Night' and 'Shot In The Dark' are the only musically strong songs on this album. The rest is either a bit mild or markedly boring. And the lyrics kinda suck for many songs. Ironically, this is one thing about Epica that annoys me: they don't generally produce a strong album. :evil: They do about three or four consistently strong songs per album, and then about two or three songs that are four minutes long but only get interesting at about 1:45. That essentially means I'm paying almost twice as much as I ought. Finally, they'll have three OK songs, and two ballads. I do wish they'd just go full bore on their classical and metal elements for an entire album, leave out the ballads and try to do more good guitar work. The same goes for the lyrics; this is one of Epica's weak points as well. They tend to be boring or vacuously preachy, but occasionally they will write a fairly good set of lines. In the case of WT, 'Murder' was a song on The Unforgiving that had cool lyrics.
Most of their lyrics are dumb, but I don't listen for the lyrics. :D One thing I utterly loath about Epica would be the dry guitar tone similar to After Forever's (the founder Epica formed and then left AF, hooray trivia!)

Re: some good gothic metal bands? Agree with you Iceni about Epica, they would be so much more awesome if they followed your suggestions! :D As to WT, those are some of the best songs, and I agree the others can become a bit of a mush, to I personnally think Faster is the best song on the album, with in the middle of the night running a close second!

• 1 month later...

Re: some good gothic metal bands? I strongly dislike the usage of 'gothic' by the general metal community. Bands with an image, or bands with female singers are often simply labelled as gothic out of laziness and for reasons I cannot understand. To me, these albums are very gothic and are amongst my favourites: Theatres des Vampires - Bloody Lunatic Asylum Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh Moonspell - Irreligious Deinonychus - The Weeping of a Thousand Years Cultus Sanguine - Shadows' Blood

Yes' date=' an odd name for a metal band. Most of their stuff isn't gothic, but The Weeping of a Thousand Years definitely is, and it's drenched in such a thick atmosphere.[/quote'] Everything I've heard from them is black/doom ala Bethlehem, so that one must be different, although there is a bit of a gothic element inherent in that style, mostly the melodramatic and cleaner passages.

Yes, you're right about them primarily being a black/doom band but for some reason, they decided to release a very gothic album. I actually discovered them through this album so I was a bit disappointed that the rest of their discography wasn't along the same lines, although I recall that Ark of Thought may have had some gothic moments too. Here are some tracks: Nuua036Ri1A gjIc8ervvIo

Re: some good gothic metal bands? I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned these, but three of my favourite gothic albums are Epica's "The Phantom Agony", "Seducia" by Silentium, and "Embrace the Storm" by Stream of Passion. They're all ambitious, but very understated and mature albums, which probably slip under the radar for most people because of their less bombastic approach (unlike that of groups like Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc.). But by my reckoning, these are just about the best gothic metal albums produced - absolute gems!

Re: some good gothic metal bands? The whole Goth thing seems to me as image based nowadays, maybe cynically to sell? I always thought it was originally a mixture of image and atmosphere in the music. A metal band with both is The Vision Bleak-I really like them, but probably someone will come on and say they aren't Goth metal. One of the original Goth styles was captured brilliantly by The Damned. Their Black Album oozes dark atmosphere and is, IMO, an utter masterpiece.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yes! Also, some people have called Type O Negative gothic metal. I don't know, they're a hard band to qualify sometimes. Fun to listen to, anyway. I miss Pete! :)
I've never considered them gothic. They're the epitome of doom. Ultra slow, heavy and dark. Great band regardless and yes I miss Pete as well. Cool guy though, I met him on their 'Life is Killing Me' tour.

musically pretty good but I just find the vocals to be irritating so I would never be able to listen to that band for extended periods of time
This is how I feel about most gothic metal bands. But, I'm totally in love with Tristania's World of Glass album at the moment.