Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish

The Strategos

Muh Ha Ha HA HAAAA! :twisted: Hi everyone, I thought that I would try and stir up a little controversy with this little versus. Which is better, Nightwish with Tarja, or Nightwish with Anette. Personnally, I never would have thought that Nightwish without Tarja could ever have been as good but then I heard the Imaginaerum album and whoa! IMHO Nightwish's best album by a mile and then some 8-) ! But then again I know that there are people out there who preferred Nightwish's punchier, less progressive style and other still who are almost deranged in their attachment to Tarja (I think I saw somewhere that a woman said she wanted to kill Anette in front of her son!!!).

Re: Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish Tarja is too overrated for her own good. Firing her was the best thing Nightwish ever did. She has no soul, style or substance. Annette was a vast improvement. She's got charisma for days. Her style is great and her soul is boundless. From what little I've heard of Imaginarium it sounds identical to her debut with the band. Not a bad thing. I'd like to hear her sing on the older songs. I think one of the reasons Tarja was given godhood was because she was one of the first women in a popular Metal band. Back when it was still a novelty and not stale. That's why she's as popular as she is. There are countless singers that blow her out of the water in both technicality and attitude. Here are a few examples: Technical singers: Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever) Lisa Johansson (ex-Draconian) Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) Vibeke Stene (ex-Tristania) Kari Rueslatten (ex-The 3rd and the Mortal) Singers with more attitude: Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) Anneke Van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering) Rosan van der Aa (Orphanage) Shlomit Levi (Orphaned Land) Those are just off the top of my head.

Re: Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish NTNR Re. Tarja's voice. Just listened to Floor Jansen and agreed, technically much better than Tarja. I would also (from that which I have heard) add Simone Simons of Epica to the list - she is great whether singing normally or in an operatic style. Also, Heidi Parviainen of Amberian Dawn seems a better operatic singer - strength, tone and control :D ! Also, I agree about Annete's charisma though I don't currently have Dark Passion Play so I can't compare the two albums :oops: !

Re: Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish

NTNR Re. Tarja's voice. Just listened to Floor Jansen and agreed, technically much better than Tarja. I would also (from that which I have heard) add Simone Simons of Epica to the list - she is great whether singing normally or in an operatic style. Also, Heidi Parviainen of Amberian Dawn seems a better operatic singer - strength, tone and control :D ! Also, I agree about Annete's charisma though I don't currently have Dark Passion Play so I can't compare the two albums :oops: !
My biggest complaint with Dark Passion Play is that it's very much in the Rock category. It's clear that the band want to be more accessible which is sad because they already have the market cornered but oh well.

Re: Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish I've never really been a huge Nightwish fan, some of their songs may be very good but they just don't give me the feeling I look for in metal, I have heard some songs with the new singer and think she has a better voice then the old one but I'm still not sold on the band

Re: Tarja Nightwish V Anette Nightwish

Ah well' date=' each to their own genres/bands. I personally love Nightwish, but perhaps they are not as unrestrained as many other bands, even in terms of Power Metal.[/quote'] True, they have gotten better though.

• 9 months later...

I'm in love with the music that Tuomas creates, but I just can't stand Anette's voice. It just doesn't fit in, it's like the music loses the power and magic with such a sweet voice. I'm glad she left. I would like to see again someone with operatic style of singing. Floor is ok. I think someone like Simone would do a great job. (God, I would like to sing in this band!)

• 2 months later...

I think I have to disagree with you. For me, Noghtwish without Tarja wasn't the same. I respect Anette, but I think Nightwish was too much for her... I mean, I've heard her sing with Brother Firetribe and it was good, she fitted in there. But, goddamn, when she tried to cover Nightwish old songs... Woah, too much for me. Tarja was the voice, although she was conceited as hell; Anette had attitude, but, have you heard her live? It was a disaster! Tarja was, indeed, over with the group, but Anette brought a too big change to Nightwish. I haven't heard the whole Imagenaerum, but I've heard Dark Passion Play. I liekd a couple of songs, it was okei. But it wasn't as catchy for me. Not that I disliked it, but... something was left behind, dunno if you understand what I mean. And, by the way, Marco should sing more songs himself. While your lips are still red is fabulous!! :D

I am a big fan of Nightwish. But how could they take Anette in place of Tarja..? It was a huge mistake.. Anette's voice is not for Nightwish, they had to change the name of the band with the new vocalist.. Or they had to find a voice similar with Tarja's. By the way the third one isn't better than the second..

I think I have to disagree with you. For me' date=' Noghtwish without Tarja wasn't the same. I respect Anette, but I think Nightwish was too much for her... I mean, I've heard her sing with Brother Firetribe and it was good, she fitted in there. But, goddamn, when she tried to cover Nightwish old songs... Woah, too much for me. Tarja was [i']the voice, although she was conceited as hell; Anette had attitude, but, have you heard her live? It was a disaster! Tarja was, indeed, over with the group, but Anette brought a too big change to Nightwish. I haven't heard the whole Imagenaerum, but I've heard Dark Passion Play. I liekd a couple of songs, it was okei. But it wasn't as catchy for me. Not that I disliked it, but... something was left behind, dunno if you understand what I mean. And, by the way, Marco should sing more songs himself. While your lips are still red is fabulous!! :D
Exactly!! Why did she start to cover old Nightwish songs? None has the right to cover Tarja's songs.. because none can do it as well as she did!! And I'm agree with you about Marco, it would be more better for Nightwish to have him as vocalist.

I agree about the Anette's covers. Some are not really good ( others okay ). But I like Anette, Imaginaerum is a very good album in my opinion ( Dark Passion Play is okay ). I like both Nightwish's eras. They are different, a bit disturbing at first. When Tarja left, a part of what Nightwish was left too but not only in a bad way. And I understood that Tarja and the rest of band were not well together at the end, so it might have been a better idea for them to separate than having a band with members who don't like to work together. I completely respect this choice. I understand that people dislike the " without Tarja Nightwish " but I've read some comments in youtube for example and it's unbelievable how Anette received such hate from fans. I've seen Nightwish with Anette in live and she sings well, the songs written with her fits her voice very well ( covers can be weird yes :) ). And Tarja, I saw her live, it was good but it's not the best thing I've seen, she looks so pretentious on stage...

• 4 months later...

Honestly I haven't heard much of Nightwish pre-Once, so my opinion probably won't hold much weight lol. I find operatic female vocals (as the primary vocal style in a band) very annoying, but I did enjoy Once. I liked Dark Passion Play more than Once though, so I guess I prefer Annette, but from what i've heard of Floor, she's the singer Nightwish should've had from day one.