secrets of laceration by clandestine blaze

eight headed serpent by impaled nazarene

avvik by taake

s/t by mystic circle

we are the apocalypse by dark funeral

diabolical by destruction

the great heathen army by amon amarth

a call to arms by jungle rot

had to combine years for many of my latest top 10 lists because i am not as stoked on a whole lot of modern metal as i am the stuff from the '80s, '90s and early 2000's. most of the newer metal is way too overproduced in my opinion

I wont do 2022 until January but 20 and 21 are done. My 80's, especially early in the 80's,  lists are made up of a bit softer stuff, but 20 and 21 were also a little softer in part.

1. Testament – Titans Of Creation

2. In Malice’s Wake – The Blindness Of Faith

3. BPMD – American Made

4. Alestorm – Curse Of The Crystal Coconut

5. Bonded – Rest In Violence

6. Phil Campbell And The Bastard Sons – We’re The Bastards

7. Plague Years – Circle Of Darkness

8. Harlott – Detritus Of The Final Age

9. Sodom – Genesis XIX

10. Warbringer – Weapons Of Tomorrow

2021, the only year I'll ever include a covers album, but only because it's fucking fantastic.

1. Flotsam And Jetsam – Blood In The Water

2. Exodus – Persona Non Grata

3. Lord – Undercovers Vol 1

4. Helloween – Helloween

5. Cosmic Psychos – Mountain of Piss

6. Desecrator – Summoning

7. Dropkick Murphys – Turn Up That Dial

8. Iron Maiden – Senjutsu

9. Enforced – Killgrid

10. Bonded – Into Blackness

Lvcifyre – Svn Eater

Corpsessed – Abysmal Thresholds

Omnizide – Death Metal Holocaust

Nasheim – Solens vemod

Véhémence – Assiégé

Symptom – Caverns of Katabasis

Sorcier des Glaces – Ritual of the End

Teitanblood – Death

Dead Congregation – Promulgation of the Fall

Diocletian – Gesundrian

Narbeleth – A Hatred Manifesto

Vanhelgd – Relics of Sulphur Salvation

Human Serpent – The Gradual Immersion in Nihilism

Saor – Aura

Skáphe – Skáphe

Fornicus – Storming Heaven

Hautakammio – Pimeyden valtakunta

Owl's Blood – Cold Night of Meditation

Dhwesha – Sthoopa

Darkspace – Dark Space III I

Mortuus – Grape of the Vine

Volahn – Aq'Ab'Al

Rienaus – Aamutähdelle

Execration – Morbid Dimensions

Temple of Void – Of Terror and the Supernatural

Perdition Winds – Aura of Suffering

Eternal Khan – A Poisoned Psalm

Thy Darkened Shade – Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet

Death Fortress – Among the Ranks of the Unconquerable

Sortilegia – Arcane Death Ritual

Atomic Aggressor – Sights of Suffering

Ascension – The Dead of the World

Sivyj Yar – From the Dead Villages’ Darkness

Ondfødt – Hexkonst

Nightfell – The Living Ever Mourn

most of my taste in metal starts mid 1980's, so that is where i will start from going back to the beginning

infernal overkill by destruction

in the sign of evil by sodom

killing is my business....and business is good by megadeth

the return by bathory

bonded by blood by exodus

dealing with it by d.r.i.

feel the fire by overkill

executioner's song by razor

bestial devastation by sepultura

evil invaders by razor

honorable pre '85 mentions: at war with satan by venom, ride the lightning by metallica, black metal by venom, sentence of death by destruction and paranoid by black sabbath

Less 'metal' in the early 80's but Aussie pub rock was going strong.

1. Motorhead – Ace Of Spades

2. Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Ozz

3. Judas Priest – British Steel

4. The Angels – Darkroom

5. Black Sabbath – Heaven And Hell

6. Cold Chisel – East

7. AC/DC – Back In Black

8. White Spirit - White Spirit

9. Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden

10. Flowers – Icehouse

Finally ready for 2017…

10. Altarage - Endinghent

9. Wormwood - Ghoslands, Wounds from a Bleeding Earth

8. Mork - Eremi however that’s spelt, see goat’s list

7. Antichrist - Sinful Birth

6. Cemetary Urn - Cemetary Urn

5. Lantern - II: Morphosis

4. Impetuous Ritual - Blight upon Martyred Sentience

3. Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

2. Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

1. Father Befouled - Desolate Gods 

1. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman

2. Judas Priest – Point Of Entry

3. Black Sabbath – Mob Rules

4. AC/DC – For Those About To Rock

5. Beast – Demo

6. Rose Tattoo – Assault And Battery

7. Iron Maiden – Killers

8. Gillan – Future Shock

9. The Angels – Night Attack

10. Girlschool - Hit and Run

u.s.a. for m.o.d. by m.o.d.

taking over by overkill

split image by excel

money talks by cryptic slaughter

crossover by d.r.i.

release from agony by destruction

forward to termination by sacrifice

the legacy by testament

pleasures of the flesh by exodus

under the sign of the black mark by bathory

honorable mention: calm before the storm by venom & ignorance by sacred reich

i totally brainfarted on the testament one when i first made this list. i knew i was forgetting an important album, but it wasn't until a few days ago that i remembered "the legacy" came out in 1987. my mind has been slipping lately. fuck! lol 

• 2 months later...

I know most of you are working on or has finished lists for 2022, but it looks like I am stuck in a time warp because here’s 1989:

10. Morgoth - Resurrection Absurd

9. Repulsion - Horrified

8. Evildead - Annihilation of Civilization

7. Tormentor - Anno Domini

6. Overkill - Years of Decay

5. Obituary - Slowly We Rot

4. Terrorizer - World Downfall

3. Sabbat - Dreamweaver

2. Coroner - No More Colour

1. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

Had to go all the way back to August 20, page 31 to find where I put my '89 list. The last years I posted before I lost interest were 2019 coming forwards, and 1984 going backwards. '83 was a pretty cool year but I'm not sure how interesting my lists will be going back much farther than 1980. I wouldn't even be able to scrape up a solid 10 some years of the '70's. 

Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac

Rock Goddess - Rock Goddess

OZ - Fire in the Brain

Slayer - Show No Mercy

Savage - Loose'n'Lethal

Riot - Born in America

Tank - This Means War

The Exploited - Let's Start a War...Said Maggie One Day

The Varukers - Bloodsuckers

Amebix - No Sanctuary

Antisect - In Darkness There Is No Choice

Motörhead - Another Perfect Day

Thin Lizzy - Thunder & Lightning

Metallica - Kill 'Em All

Fastway - S/T

BattleAxe - Burn This Town

Burn - Burn

ZZ Top - Eliminator

The Cramps - Off the Bone

Given it's not just a list of metal albums I didn't have any real trouble filling years prior to the metal explosion years. I don't know that I could be bothered going back before then but by 82 my list would be mostly metal, even if it's softer metal, and I think 83 would be all metal.

I don't remember what year I got up to in the '10's and I can't be bothered looking back but I think I got up to 2020.

I don't have heaps and heaps from every year prior to the 80's but when bands like Deep Purple, Led Zepp, Motorhead, Pink Floyd and AC/DC etc were releasing albums every few years, plus less heavy bands like CCR, Janis Joplin, Billy Thorpe and The Who had done the same it doesn't take much for me to form a list.

11 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I don't have heaps and heaps from every year prior to the 80's but when bands like Deep Purple, Led Zepp, Motorhead, Pink Floyd and AC/DC etc were releasing albums every few years, plus less heavy bands like CCR, Janis Joplin, Billy Thorpe and The Who had done the same it doesn't take much for me to form a list.

That's cool man. I personally wouldn't have any of the hippie rock like what you've mentioned there on any of my lists, it's just not my thing at all. The Who & CCR both really annoy me. Never really been a Deep Purple fan either. I do like the Hendrix debut which I guess could be considered hippie rock, but that was the 60's. I've never even heard of Billy Thorpe, what is he an Aussie or something?

I've never bothered to make any lists for any of the years before 1975. Only bands I'd have from that far back that I'd even deem list-worthy today would be: Sabbath, Zeppelin, Stooges, Robin Trower, Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Aerosmith...I can barely even come up with a solid 10 artists. The Bad Company debut ('74) Montrose debut ('73) And of course I love the Beatles.

But anyway, here are all my oldest lists from my high school days in the latter half of the 70's:

1975  Black Sabbath - Sabotage...Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti...Scorpions - In Trance...Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here...Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic...Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy...Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Zuma...Mott - Drive On...Bad Company - Straight Shooter

1976  Ramones S/T Debut...ZZ Top - Tejas...Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak...Aerosmith - Rocks...Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy...Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets...Boston - S/T debut

1977  Ramones - Leave Home...Ramones - Rocket to Russia...Dead Boys - Young Loud & Snotty...Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks...Iggy Pop - Lust For Life...Motörhead - Motörhead...Scorpions - Taken By Force...The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus...The Saints - I'm Stranded...The Dictators - Manifest Destiny...The Clash - S/T Debut

1978  Ramones - Road to Ruin...Molly Hatchet - S/T Debut...Van Halen - S/T Debut...Black Sabbath - Never Say Die...Rose Tattoo - S/T...Dire Straits - S/T...Dead Boys - We Have Come for Your Children...The Saints - Prehistoric Sounds

1979  AC/DC Highway to Hell...Molly Hatchet - Flirting With Disaster...Motörhead - Overkill...Motörhead - Bomber...ZZ Top - Degüello...Scorpions - Lovedrive...Van Halen II...Thin Lizzy - Black Rose...Cars - Candy-O

Billy Thorpe was an Aussie rocker from the 60's who blew Ozzy and Ian Gillan's minds when they toured here and saw him for the first time. His music isn't at all heavy but his stage presence was huge and the way he rocked around the stage was clearly emulated by Ozzy and Gillan in the mid to late 70's.

I've gone back and collected a heap of older records over the years. I certainly didn't have much of a record collection until the mid 80's, but throughout the late 90's and early 00's where my disposable income was large enough to enjoy things I pumped a shit load of cash into older albums. Like today's album some of them only have one or two good songs on them, and those songs are often put on best of albums or other such collaborations, but I've still kept the albums and bought more over the years. Unfortunately most of them are on vinyl and I don't listen to them because my turntable isn't connected.

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I certainly didn't have much of a record collection until the mid 80's

Just exactly how old are you Orca? I started collecting rock albums in 1973 I think it was. Whatever small amounts of money I managed to come by including all my lunch money in those days went straight to records and nothing else. They were $4 a pop back then (for single albums, double albums were more) in the 70's, $4.19 with tax. By 1980 I thought I had myself a nice little pile. But nothing like the pile I ammassed in the 80's once I was an adult with a job. Of course they're all gone now, I gave them all away because I don't care to mess with vinyl anymore, and also my tastes have changed enough over the years that I wouldn't even care to listen to most of them now anyway.

A year younger than you, but don't tell anyone!

I didn't have the space to store things, I had a collection of shit like clothes, some music, a stereo, bike etc which I kept at my parents place, but when I moved out it was into short term rentals, share houses etc and there wasn't room for collections. Any music, stereos etc were communal and either no one claimed them or the last one left paying the house claimed them.

1988:

10. Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

9. Running Wild - Port Royal

8. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

7. Helstar - A Distant Thunder

6. Holy Terror - Mind Wars

5. Hobbs’ Angel of Death - Hobbs’ Angel of Death

4. Incubus - Serpent Temptation

3. Coroner - Punishment For Decadence

2. Armoros - Pieces

1. Razor - Violent Restitution