Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1987: 1. Anthrax - Among The Living 2. Raven - Life's a Bitch 3. Trouble Run - To The Light 4. Sepultura - Schizophrenia 5. Candlemass - Nightfall 6. Dio - Dream Evil 7. Def Leppard - Hysteria 8. Venom - Calm Before the Storm 9. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I 10. Sanctuary - Refuge Denied *Sanctuary is on here because I couldn't find another band for the 10 spot. They don't deserve to be on any top ten lists.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1988: 1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime 3. Slayer - South Of Heaven 4. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II 5. Manowar - Kings Of Metal 6. Candlemass - Ancient Dreams 7. Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum 8. Raven - Nothing Exceeds Like Excess 9. Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction 10. Metallica - ...and Justice For All * Iron Maiden, Queensryche & Pestilence released their best albums this year. Helloween, Slayer, Manowar & Candlemass release amazing albums as well. This was a good year in Metal.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1989: 1. Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind 2. Annihilator - Alice In Hell 3. Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite 4. King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska 5. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains 6. Testament - Practice What You Preach 7. Atheist - Piece Of Time 8. Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness 9. Obituary - Slowly We Rot 10. Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness *This year wasn't as good as its predecessor but still had some great albums. Specifically Annihilator, Morbid Angel, King's X & Blind Guardian.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

1988: 1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime 3. Slayer - South Of Heaven 4. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II 5. Manowar - Kings Of Metal 6. Candlemass - Ancient Dreams 7. Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum 8. Raven - Nothing Exceeds Like Excess 9. Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction 10. Metallica - ...and Justice For All * Iron Maiden, Queensryche & Pestilence released their best albums this year. Helloween, Slayer, Manowar & Candlemass release amazing albums as well. This was a good year in Metal.
It was indeed a good year, but my top 10 list for this year will almost assuredly look nothing like yours.

Wow...that's pretty blasphemous' date=' even by your standards.[/quote'] Nah, it's definitely better than Slow Transcending Agony, and it's more memorable than Unraveled, but they are both good albums and were in the running. Candlemass is one I'm feeling a bit of regret about, as it just about made it, but it's not quite up to the quality level of their old albums and didn't stick with my like that Coffins album did. Oddly enough, I never thought Coffins would make my top 10 list for any year, but that one is much better than the two they've done since IMO.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year I'd take any Ataraxie album over any Coffins release any day of the week. And that includes the killer split work they've done which is pretty damn amazing stuff too. Confessor's last release was pretty memorable and a long time coming. The same goes for Candlemass.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2006: Bal-Sagoth: The Chthonic Chronicles - Bombastic, symphonic medieval metal, totally over the top and fun Catacombs: In the Depths of R'lyeh - Bleak and chilling funeral doom, very dark and crawling atmosphere Celtic Frost: Monotheist - Huge album, expands on their roots while staying true to them, very well done Eyes of Ligeia: A Fever Which Would Cling to Thee Forever - Creepy and impressive black/doom metal Goatwhore: A Haunting Curse - Catchy and addictive black/death metal, great mix of influences Ihsahn: The Adversary - Great progressive metal, intricate and unique with King Diamond style passages Melechesh: Emissaries - Heavy, riffy, and melodic Middle Eastern black/thrash metal, intriguing listen Ministry: Rio Grande Blood - Brutal and intense industrial thrash metal, Ministry's best and most aggressive Tyr: Ragnarok - Progressive folk/viking metal, excellent instrumentation, songwriting, and vocals Unexpect: In a Flesh Aquarium - Bizarre avant-garde metal, spazzy, chaotic, and claustrophobic I wasn't sure what to think about this year when grabbing all of the initial entries, but I think the end result turned out well. As usual, it's an interesting mix, but death and power metal are mostly absent. I can't say I'm surprised by this, as power metal isn't my favorite genre of metal and death metal hit it's peak in the prior decade, but it's still worth mentioning.

That's one of the better Bal-Sagoth albums but I wouldn't put it in a top-ten. Catacombs was killer! Tyr is just great too.
It's the heaviest (excluding their debut), most bombastic, and overall entertaining album they've done. It might seem like a weird top 10 choice, but I really like it and that's where it ended up.

Believe it or not, I agree with NTNR here. Damage Done was my first DT album, but Character is far better IMO. I really like Fiction though, it just seems to be a polarizing album, love it or hate it. My other favorite DT albums are Skydancer, The Mind's I, and Projector.
I've warmed up to Character now, and I do like it quite a bit. Remains to be seen if I'll like it as much as Damage Done.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year I know 5 Top albums for 2012 for my part allready! (even though two of them hasnt arrived yet) 1.Periphery II: TTIP 2. Periphery: Juggernaut! 3. Recreate The Sun EP 4. TesseracT Perspective 5. Meshuggah: Kolossus

• 1 month later...

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2007: Candlemass: King of the Grey Islands - Candlemass + Rob Lowe = win, great vocals and songs Deathspell Omega: Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum - Intense, dissonant, and totally original BM Electric Wizard: Witchcult Today - More drugged out than before, but also more involved, entrancing Immolation: Shadows In the Light - Just as heavy and twisted as before, but with very catchy songwriting Nifelheim: Envoy of Lucifer - Triumphant black/thrash return, great riffs and dark atmosphere Primordial: To the Nameless Dead - Another winner for Primordial, everything here is top notch Rotting Christ: Theogonia - Best Rotting Christ album since Non Serviam, familiar but very fresh Shining: V - Halmstad - DSBM masterpiece, totally soul rending and depressing album, one of my favorites Virgin Black: Requiem - Mezzo Forte - One of the best symphonic metal albums ever, elegant and beautiful Watain: Sworn to the Dark - Great balance of all of black metals best aspects, memorable and evil I find it a little bit strange that every band on my list for this year is a bigger name band, I don't think that there's really an underground or non-major (metal) label album on here. Well, I guess these guys are popular for a reason, and these albums were some of the ones that made them so. Looks like a great year overall, despite being a little less varied than I had hoped.

• 1 month later...

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2008: Aura Noir: Hades Rise - Awesome black/thrash, almost as good as their debut, old school but fresh Dark Space: Dark Space III - Spacey black metal with huge atmospheres, dense sound, and great ambiance Hail of Bullets: ...Of Frost and War - Awesome old school death metal, Bolt Thrower worship done right Hooded Menace: Fulfill the Curse - Occult doom/death metal, like Candlemass or Cathedral with growls Horna: Sanojesi Äärelle - Nothing innovative, just well done black metal with everything done right Moonspell: Night Eternal - A return to heaviness and darkness, awesome black/gothic metal Nachtmystium: Assassins Black Meddle Pt. 1 - Excellent progressive metal, like Pink Floyd plus black metal Opeth: Watershed - Their most progressive and varied, large scope and flow, but very well captured Taake: Taake - More great Norwegian black metal from Taake, one of the best bands from that scene Virgin Black: Requiem Fortissimo - Massively heavy doom/death album drawing from the early masters I was initially a bit worried about this year, I haven't done one of these lists in a while and I couldn't remember what came out in 2008, and I was shocked at how little I was finding at first. The list definitely got better towards the middle and the end, but a couple of albums from the beginning stuck around. Seems like a typical BAN list though, some doom, death, and black metal, and some leaning more towards gothic/progressive stuff, though those picks are usually still heavier and darker than many typical choices within those genres.