Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

1 hour ago, Ecthelion said:

Really? Out of curiosity, what albums did you like from that year? 

Excluding EPs and compilations my choices for '95 were: 'The Silent Enigma' by Anathema, 'Imaginations From The Other Side' by Blind Guardian, 'The Gallery' by Dark Tranquillity, 'Symbolic' by Death (my least favourite Death album), 'Storm Of The Light's Bane' by Dissection, 'NOLA' by Down, 'Burnt Offerings' by Iced Earth, 'Wolfheart' by Moonspell, 'The Angel And The Dark River' by My Dying Bride, 'Scarlet Evil Witching Black' by Necromantia, 'Nifelheim' by Nifelheim, 'Theatre Of Tragedy' by Theatre Of Tragedy, and 'Bergtatt' by Ulver. Of those I was only happy with eight albums. Anathema, Dark Tranquillity, Dissection, Moonspell, MDB, Necromantia, ToT, and Ulver.

Metal-archives lists it as 1994 as did wikipedia. This is getting frustrating. Also it still wouldn't help much.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Paramæcium/Exhumed_of_the_Earth/4096

That was the date of the label release, but they released it themselves before they were signed in 93. You can see it in the "other versions" tab.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ecthelion said: Really? Out of curiosity, what albums did you like from that year? 

Excluding EPs and compilations my choices for '95 were: 'The Silent Enigma' by Anathema, 'Imaginations From The Other Side' by Blind Guardian, 'The Gallery' by Dark Tranquillity, 'Symbolic' by Death (my least favourite Death album), 'Storm Of The Light's Bane' by Dissection, 'NOLA' by Down, 'Burnt Offerings' by Iced Earth, 'Wolfheart' by Moonspell, 'The Angel And The Dark River' by My Dying Bride, 'Scarlet Evil Witching Black' by Necromantia, 'Nifelheim' by Nifelheim, 'Theatre Of Tragedy' by Theatre Of Tragedy, and 'Bergtatt' by Ulver. Of those I was only happy with eight albums. Anathema, Dark Tranquillity, Dissection, Moonspell, MDB, Necromantia, ToT, and Ulver.

Looking back, 6 of those were on my list for 95. There are some really strong choices here, maybe you just need a couple more of them to round it out.

4 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That was the date of the label release, but they released it themselves before they were signed in 93. You can see it in the "other versions" tab.

Didn't even see that tab. I'll stick with the label release dates for continuity sake from here.

4 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Looking back, 6 of those were on my list for 95. There are some really strong choices here, maybe you just need a couple more of them to round it out.

If I could use EP's I'd be set...

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1997

1. Strapping Young Lad - City

This unique blend of industrial and death metal is awesome.

2. Sacramentum - The Coming Of Chaos

Melodic black metal in the vein of Dissection but much better.

3. Hades - Dawn Of The Dying Sun

Intense viking metal. More aggressive and raw then some of their peers this is no less magnificent.

4. Arckanum - Kostogher

Chaotic and slightly dissonant black metal. Magnificent album.

5. Summoning - Dol Guldur

I imagine this is the only music permitted in Mordor. Folky black metal touching on literature normally favoured by power metal bands. A glorious success.

6. Destroyer 666 - Unchain The Wolves

The Australian anti-christs carve it up with this black/thrash blend. A gritty album with plenty of charm.

7. October Tide - Rain Without End

This beautiful melodic doom/death album flies under the radar to some extent. Excellent songwriting and some catchy melodies make this a memorable album

8. Sadistik Exekution - K.A.O.S

The name is appropriate. This blend of crust-punk, black metal, and death metal can be overwhelming. So much is going on here it can take time to pick things out.

9. Ragnarok - Arising Realm

A somewhat atmospheric black metal album that doesn't leave you lacking for riffs.

10. Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I

Catchy melodic death metal. Yes it's starting to get popish but still heavy enough to keep a metalhead interested.

A weaker year. Get used to these as my album collection thins out year on year from here.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1997

1. Strapping Young Lad - City

This unique blend of industrial and death metal is awesome.

2. Sacramentum - The Coming Of Chaos

Melodic black metal in the vein of Dissection but much better.

3. Hades - Dawn Of The Dying Sun

Intense viking metal. More aggressive and raw then some of their peers this is no less magnificent.

4. Arckanum - Kostogher

Chaotic and slightly dissonant black metal. Magnificent album.

5. Summoning - Dol Guldur

I imagine this is the only music permitted in Mordor. Folky black metal touching on literature normally favoured by power metal bands. A glorious success.

6. Destroyer 666 - Unchain The Wolves

The Australian anti-christs carve it up with this black/thrash blend. A gritty album with plenty of charm.

7. October Tide - Rain Without End

This beautiful melodic doom/death album flies under the radar to some extent. Excellent songwriting and some catchy melodies make this a memorable album

8. Sadistik Exekution - K.A.O.S

The name is appropriate. This blend of crust-punk, black metal, and death metal can be overwhelming. So much is going on here it can take time to pick things out.

9. Ragnarok - Arising Realm

A somewhat atmospheric black metal album that doesn't leave you lacking for riffs.

10. Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I

Catchy melodic death metal. Yes it's starting to get popish but still heavy enough to keep a metalhead interested.

A weaker year. Get used to these as my album collection thins out year on year from here.

Still looks pretty solid to me for most of these choices.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1998

1. Evoken - Embrace The Emptiness

Crushingly heavy, bleak atmosphere, there's so much to love about this funeral doom masterpiece.

2. Inquisition - Into The Infernal Regions Of The Ancient Cult

Cheesy black metal lyrics aside this is a fantastic album. The vocals themselves are creepy, there's a great blend of atmosphere and furious riffs.

3. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance

Their final album sadly but ultimately their best. Melodic, progressive, technical this album has it all.

4. Gorguts - Obscura

Dissonant death metal at its finest.

5. Skepticism - Lead and Aether

Bleak atmospheric funeral doom. This album is an experience like few others.

6. Arch Enemy - Stigmata

There was a time when this band didn't suck. Stigmata features catchy and heavy melodies but most importantly stays faithful to the DEATH in 'melodic death metal'.

7. Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast

By far their best album. A seamless blend of symphonic and melodic black metal with gothic undertones. Well written, well executed, and very much worth your time.

8. Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back To Life

The MDB influence is obvious but this isn't simple hero worship. This album is heavy, melodic, and brooding doom/death pulled off very well.

9. December Wolves - Completely Dehumanized

Savage black/thrash. At a time when thrash was all but dead to get something harking back to the glory days of Kreator and Dark Angel whilst also paying homage to black metal pioneers? Yes please.

10. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

One of the great power metal albums. Great riffs, Tolkien inspired lyrics, catchy songwriting, this is a genuine good time.

Just as I say the quality of my collection thins out I produce one of the stronger lists so far...

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1998

1. Evoken - Embrace The Emptiness

Crushingly heavy, bleak atmosphere, there's so much to love about this funeral doom masterpiece.

2. Inquisition - Into The Infernal Regions Of The Ancient Cult

Cheesy black metal lyrics aside this is a fantastic album. The vocals themselves are creepy, there's a great blend of atmosphere and furious riffs.

3. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance

Their final album sadly but ultimately their best. Melodic, progressive, technical this album has it all.

4. Gorguts - Obscura

Dissonant death metal at its finest.

5. Skepticism - Lead and Aether

Bleak atmospheric funeral doom. This album is an experience like few others.

6. Arch Enemy - Stigmata

There was a time when this band didn't suck. Stigmata features catchy and heavy melodies but most importantly stays faithful to the DEATH in 'melodic death metal'.

7. Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast

By far their best album. A seamless blend of symphonic and melodic black metal with gothic undertones. Well written, well executed, and very much worth your time.

8. Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back To Life

The MDB influence is obvious but this isn't simple hero worship. This album is heavy, melodic, and brooding doom/death pulled off very well.

9. December Wolves - Completely Dehumanized

Savage black/thrash. At a time when thrash was all but dead to get something harking back to the glory days of Kreator and Dark Angel whilst also paying homage to black metal pioneers? Yes please.

10. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

One of the great power metal albums. Great riffs, Tolkien inspired lyrics, catchy songwriting, this is a genuine good time.

Just as I say the quality of my collection thins out I produce one of the stronger lists so far...

Lots of winners here.

Just now, BlutAusNerd said:  

Lots of winners here.

Trouble is I don't really have enough albums to make another list right through to 2009 and that's the last list I can make.

No worries. I'm sure you'll make them when you're able.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 2009

1. Vektor - Black Future

Progressive spacey thrash with tinges of death metal. This is up there with the very best thrash albums - quite the accomplishment for a band releasing their debut well after that time has passed.

2. Portal - Swarth

Creepy technical avant-garde/death metal. Portal are among the most challenging bands in terms of listenability but ultimately it is a rewarding experience.

3. Colosseum - Chapter 2: Numquam

Melancholic, heavy, and melodic funeral doom. The atmosphere is bleak, the songwriting outstanding, one of the finer funeral doom albums.

4. Mournful Congregation - The June Frost

More bleak melodic funeral doom. These Australians really know how to craft beautiful sonicscapes.

5. Longing For Dawn - Between Elation and Despair

Drawn out atmospheric funeral doom. Heavy and melancholic this is great stuff.

6. Ahab - The Divinity Of Oceans

Drawn out and atmospheric. The tone here isn't crushingly heavy nor is this particularly melodic. This album is subtle staying true to it's name feeling like the flowing ocean at times calm and at others drowning the listener with waves of despair. It's a good thing.

7. Absu - Absu

Progressive black metal. Technical, well written, and intense.

8. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest

Typical Nile - heavy death metal with Egyptian flair. Quality death metal though not as strong as Annihilation Of The Wicked.

9. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Pretty good traditional metal with a doomy vibe from what is essentially the RJD Black Sabbath line-up.

10. Future's End - Memoirs Of A Broken Man

Heavy, well executed, and well written progressive metal.

20 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Trouble is I don't really have enough albums to make another list right through to 2009 and that's the last list I can make.

Maybe compromise your 'only albums I own' rule? A good album's a good album, even if you don't own it. 

I think 1995 was one of my favourite years personally. That era of 1990-1996 is my golden age, with the world of music opening up before me like a glorious dawn of majesty and triumph. 

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

Maybe compromise your 'only albums I own' rule? A good album's a good album, even if you don't own it. 

I think 1995 was one of my favourite years personally. That era of 1990-1996 is my golden age, with the world of music opening up before me like a glorious dawn of majesty and triumph. 

No can do. I need the time with an album to work out where it fits compared with other releases from that year. I don't feel I'm able to adequately assess an album one just one or two listens via youtube.

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

^ Nice. I dig most of those albums, even if my choices would have been in many cases.

Those last three spots proved quite challenging. Vulnerable when I come back to this in a couple of years for sure but 1 through 7 sit well with me.

14 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

No can do. I need the time with an album to work out where it fits compared with other releases from that year. I don't feel I'm able to adequately assess an album one just one or two listens via youtube.

Those last three spots proved quite challenging. Vulnerable when I come back to this in a couple of years for sure but 1 through 7 sit well with me.

I empathise completely and that's why I haven't deigned to create lists for the 80s. My 80s metal collection is patchy at best, and while I have (most of) the albums I really want from that era, I wouldn't feel confident writing a top ten that I'm enthusiastic about. Plus they'd be full of lame hair metal albums...

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I empathise completely and that's why I haven't deigned to create lists for the 80s. My 80s metal collection is patchy at best, and while I have (most of) the albums I really want from that era, I wouldn't feel confident writing a top ten that I'm enthusiastic about. Plus they'd be full of lame hair metal albums...

See now that's what you get for feeding on the sunset strip...

My new year lists have the same problem, since I suck at keeping up with new releases. I have friends that will post a top 50 albums of the year list when the year has just ended, and I'm not able to amass 10 releases for a basic list until at least a couple of years later.

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 1994

1. Unholy - The Second Ring of Power 

One of the most surprisingly layered and atmospheric death/doom metal albums ever released and a sophomore effort that is rather underappreciated. Few releases of this genre ever reach this level of sorrowful grimness as Unholy achieves here. It's no wonder that they took a bit of a hiatus after it was released. 

2. Dream Theater - Awake 

This was, in my opinion, their pinnacle before gradually descending into inconsistency with album after album. A testament to how important Kevin Moore was to the band and to the skill of every member involved. A progressive metal album worthy of all the praise it gets. 

3. Stratovarius - Dreamscape 

I believe this to be the "dark horse" of what I perceive as Stratovarius' classic period from 1994 to 1998. Dreamspace's more progressive and melancholic tendencies make this album more distinct from their material that would come after it and the album, as a whole, truly shows that they had unlocked their potential even before Jens Johanssen had entered the band. An unabashedly original and compelling power metal release. 

4. Gorement - The Ending Quest 

One of the unsung Swedish death metal classics for me. Each time I look back on this year, this album always seems to be one that I replay and immensely enjoy every time I choose to do so, getting better with each listen. 

5. Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Pt. I 

After a somewhat schizophrenic period in the '80s (and partially in the '90s) where the band couldn't decide whether they were epic heavy metal or party rock, Virgin Steele finally became focused and started one of the most impressive runs of quality that the metal genre has ever witnessed with this album. 

6. Abigor - Verwüstung/Invoke the Dark Age 

A unique and well-conceived debut from one of the most underrated black metal acts that ever existed. Superb composition, astonishingly excellent instrumentation (especially considering that this is black metal we're talking about here), a pervasive sense of atmosphere, this album has it all. 

7. Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow

A genre-bending melodic death metal release that, while not possessing the intensity of The Spectral Sorrows or Unorthodox, still manages to be fantastic. One of Dan Swanö's best albums. I did have to knock this down a couple of places due to the last track which really isn't that good at all. Still recommended. 

8. Depressive Age - Lying in Wait 

An excellent progressive thrash metal release that is a bit more explorative than the more focused sound of their debut. While I do prefer the debut (despite it not making my list for that year due to having to make cuts), this manages to make it for this year. 

9. Running Wild - Black Hand Inn 

Continuing their streak of power metal excellence, Running Wild releases their best album and their most ambitious one at that. It truly feels like they matured all this time whilst not losing any of their intensity and fun. If Death or Glory or Port Royal  didn't cement their status as one of the best power metal acts in the genre, Black Hand Inn most certainly did. 

10. Samael - Ceremony of Opposites 

It was between In the Nightside Eclipse and this album and this one won out. It surprises me how much this album has grown on me since I first heard it. Originally, I didn't think much of it but as I've listened to it more and more, Samael's seminal release has slowly crept up on this list, as has the album that succeeds it and those that precede it. Great stuff. 

There are some lamentable exclusions from this year for me. To Dimension Logic, Through the Darkest Hour, Wildhoney and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss being a few. Those are well within my honorable mentions though. Same goes for In the Nightside Eclipse but I honestly prefer their more guitar-driven direction in their previous work.