Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1992 

1. Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond 

The triumphant conclusion their power/speed era, culminating in one of the best, if not the best, albums Bllind Guardian ever recorded and certainly my favorite album. Much of their later work would prove to be excellent but this one holds a special place in my heart. 

2. Dark Millennium - Ashore the Celestial Burden 

A remarkable early death/doom metal release that surprises and captivates the listener at every turn. Probably one of the most incredible releases of this year and the fact that it gets so overshadowed by some other albums released this year when it is just as worthy of praise is criminal. The complex composition and impressive musicianship serve to create one of the highlights of death/doom and in many ways, a breath of fresh air from sounds that would prove commonalities in that subgenre. 

3. Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon 

An improvement upon Into the Depths of Sorrow that proves the sheer genius of the band's genre-bending sound. Their definitive work. 

4. Dream Theater - Images and Words 

Dream Theater's breakout album and an excellent release overall. Honestly, I'd like this band a lot more if Kevin Moore was still in the band due to him being the compositional mastermind behind their best work. Later on, these guys just fell prey to excesses that would make their later albums somewhat inconsistent and a slog to get through. This album, however, was the beginning of their period of excellence and one simply must give credit where credit is due. 

5. Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky 

The beginning of what is, in my opinion, their unholy pentalogy. An excellent progression from their death metal sound into the realms of black metal which gives the album its own unique place in the band's discography. While my favorite album of theirs comes after this, this album rules. 

6. Psychotic Waltz Into the Everflow

A more abstract and spacier effort than A Social Grace but one that still manages to be extremely well-performed and sublimely written. Not their best work, but with a band like this, even something not as good is still utterly excellent. Wholeheartedly recommended. 

7. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours 

A spectacular debut from famed melodic death metal act, At the Gates. This album's progressive affectations, superb technique, magnificent composition and masterful use of polyphony (courtesy of the eternally underrated Alf Svensson) show this album as arguably their best effort and a far cry from their banal and empty later material like Slaughter of the Soul and At War With Reality

8.Typhoon - Take Good Care 

An underrated melding of technical thrash and speed metal that went woefully unnoticed. A truly epic release that is quite recommended from me to anyone who likes either of those genres. Absolutely incredible stuff. 

9. Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade 

Probably my favorite Bolt Thrower release along with Realm of Chaos. An heavy and grandiose album that never disappoints. 

10. Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence

The best album ever released by these guys. Their last album was great but this is easily their peak. 

EDIT: I forgot that The Red in the Sky is Ours was a 1992 release so I added it in the appropriate spot for this list. 

3 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

The beginning of what is, in my opinion, their unholy pentalogy. An excellent progression from their death metal sound into the realms of black metal which gives the album its own unique place in the band's discography. While my favorite album of theirs comes after this, this album rules. 

I like this idea of the pentalogy. 'Panzerfaust' is obviously a masterpiece, but a lot of people overlook the greatness that is 'Total Death'. I really love that album and for me it's Darkthrone's last great black metal release. The original cover sucks though and throws people a bit I think. The re-release cover is much more suitable and helps the concept of the pentalogy work for me - because the music already fits well enough. (I presume this is what you mean by pentalogy...). 

8 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Eh, I don't know about that. It drags a bit, and is more ambitious than they were ready for at that point. Human was the true metamorphosis for Death.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

It doesn't have to be. War Master and Soulside Journey were from 91, maybe that will help. I'm sure it will make 91's list more difficult though.

Wow and I've been crosschecking everything through Metal-Archives too. Well that actually makes both years more difficult.

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 1993 

1. Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers 

Lamentably, the final studio album from Anacrusis. The reason why I put this album on the top spot for this year was due to it showcasing the band's willingness to adapt. Due to a slight lineup change, they could no longer be as technical as they were on their previous work like Manic Impressions or Suffering Hour. That being said, they understood that and pretty much improved everything else. The hooks are noticeably better as they are far more important to this album in particular, the production is much better than it was previously, and there is a really palpable sense of atmosphere permeated within the music while still preserving that distinct guitar and bass tone that was on the last album. The music is still complex, it's just more accessible which really works to this band's favor since you could probably sit someone down who has never heard the band's work before and allow that person to appreciate the brilliance of it. A fantastic and fitting conclusion to this band. 

2. Cynic - Focus

Similarly to Anacrusis, Cynic's debut full-length was also quite genre-bending and excellent. While I don't hide my desire to have released more material that was in the vein of their 1990 demo, this transformation they displayed on this album was incredible and you really cannot argue with the results. An otherworldly experience from start to finish. 

3. Conception - Parallel Minds

Norwegian prog/power act, Conception, will always be one of the most underrated bands I'll ever talk about. Norway's black metal scene completely overshadowed these guys (and not for any reasons involving music, if we're going to be honest) and it's a crying shame that all this band's work ever turned out as was a footnote in Roy Khan's career due to his later success in Kamelot. This band deserves just as much attention and this album is proof of it. 

4. Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon 

Behold, my favorite of the unholy pentalogy. Whilst their last release was heavier and more death metal-influenced, this release is quintessential black metal. A sinister sable blizzard cutting through your mind with razor-sharp gales. The cover, depicting vocalist Nocturno Culto, as a malevolent sorcerer in a pitch-black demonic realm, perfectly summarizes the transportative sound of this album. The crown jewel of this band's discography. 

5. Death - Individual Thought Patterns 

Sporting a lineup that can only be accurately called a "supergroup", Death crafts one of the most technical albums in the band's discography. With heightened production (in which you can actually hear Steve DiGeorgio's bass playing, finally), even greater technique and some utterly excellent lyricism, this release proves to be among Schuldiner's most daring and most rewarding outings. 

6. At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness 

And so, this band releases their last superb album. It's a shame that this bedrock-solid foundation of a duology that this album and their debut were only turned out to be a bland, drab and uninteresting structure that neither surprised nor captivated but it is fortunate that these two albums still provide a shining example of what melodic death metal was back then in its experimental infancy. A sublime last album with Alf Svensson. 

7. Dissection - The Somberlain 

While not given anywhere near as much attention as the band's legendary sophomore release, Storm of the Light's Bane, this album still contains everything that's great about its successor with some of its own unique atmosphere. 

8. Angra - Angel's Cry 

While this album did help kick off the neoclassical power metal trend as much as guys like Yngwie Malmsteen helped originate it, this debut skirts all of its negative aspects through dynamic composition, prisitine production and astonishing consistency. All killer, no filler power metal magnificence. 

9. Count Raven - High on Infinity 

Expansive and ambitious doom metal that takes it Sabbath roots and does things with them that are truly exciting and inspiring. Probably one of my favorite doom metal records which is expected since you literally could not go wrong with any of this band's work. Highly recommended. 

10. Savatage - Edge of Thorns 

An excellent last release from Savatage with Criss Oliva playing guitar. Being a huge fan of this band, this is honestly one of my favorite albums the band ever released but I was wondering if I could make a place on it and I think I can. The guitar-driven nature of this album in comparison to Streets was a refreshing return to form and despite Jon's departure from the band to pursue his own interests, Zachary Stevens is a more than worthy replacement. That being said, this was Criss's album. Displaying some of the most remarkable and epic composition and playing of his career, he crafts a fitting swan song for himself that is definitely worthy of a spot on this list among this year's most noteworthy releases. 

Missing some stuff like Immortal, which barely got edged out, and Gorguts but I can live with this. 

3 hours ago, Ecthelion said:  

I like this idea of the pentalogy. 'Panzerfaust' is obviously a masterpiece, but a lot of people overlook the greatness that is 'Total Death'. I really love that album and for me it's Darkthrone's last great black metal release. The original cover sucks though and throws people a bit I think. The re-release cover is much more suitable and helps the concept of the pentalogy work for me - because the music already fits well enough. (I presume this is what you mean by pentalogy...). 

I would think that the pentalogy would refer to their first five albums, since their death metal debut is one of their best releases IMO. Total Death gets overlooked because it is weaker than any of the other Darkthrone albums up to that point, and was the beginning of their slide into mediocrity. It's okay, but nowhere near as good or memorable as even the weakest of their first 5 albums (Transylvanian Hunger).

8 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I would think that the pentalogy would refer to their first five albums, since their death metal debut is one of their best releases IMO. Total Death gets overlooked because it is weaker than any of the other Darkthrone albums up to that point, and was the beginning of their slide into mediocrity. It's okay, but nowhere near as good or memorable as even the weakest of their first 5 albums (Transylvanian Hunger).

When I refer to a pentalogy, I was referrring solely to their black metal stuff. Soulside Journey is a really good death metal album though, that goes without saying. 

What did you think of 1993's list? 

8 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

When I refer to a pentalogy, I was referrring solely to their black metal stuff. Soulside Journey is a really good death metal album though, that goes without saying. 

What did you think of 1993's list? 

It looks a lot different than mine, but I like it. You've established that you've got good taste, and I'll have to explore the albums on it that I'm unfamiliar with. As far as Darkthrone goes, you would really put Total Death in the same realm as the albums before it? I don't hear anything exciting happening in it at all, it's just kind of bland, but I can enjoy it as background music now and then.

15 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It looks a lot different than mine, but I like it. You've established that you've got good taste, and I'll have to explore the albums on it that I'm unfamiliar with. As far as Darkthrone goes, you would really put Total Death in the same realm as the albums before it? I don't hear anything exciting happening in it at all, it's just kind of bland, but I can enjoy it as background music now and then.

I find myself listening to it from front to back and really enjoying it. However, it does seem to have a case of of "one side to rule them all" syndrome the more I listen to it. That being said, I find myself enjoying it a lot more than the nostalgiawank they've been peddling for decades now.

15 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: It looks a lot different than mine, but I like it. You've established that you've got good taste, and I'll have to explore the albums on it that I'm unfamiliar with. As far as Darkthrone goes, you would really put Total Death in the same realm as the albums before it? I don't hear anything exciting happening in it at all, it's just kind of bland, but I can enjoy it as background music now and then.

I find myself listening to it from front to back and really enjoying it. However, it does seem to have a case of of "one side to rule them all" syndrome the more I listen to it. That being said, I find myself enjoying it a lot more than the nostalgiawank they've been peddling for decades now.

I have a hard time calling it "nostalgiawank" since they are from that era and cut their teeth on those sounds. It has more legitimacy in its sound than many other throwback acts, and feels more energized than their mid-period did.

This conversation reminds me how much I enjoy late 90s-early 2000s Darkthrone. Their song structures kind of drag at times, but I dig them up through Sardonic Wrath, and that album is a fucking banger. It's their last black metal album and their first completely retro album IMO. Moving backward, Hate Them is a transitional album; it more than flirts with the first-wave stylings they'd embrace afterwards, but it still has some of the more modern-sounding angular tremolo riffing that made up much of the albums prior. The music on Plaguewielder has a lot more in common with contemporary Satyricon, I guess they were all really tight back then, and it's only got one Fenriz song, which is also the most old-school/black n' roll track on there. I'm gonna take a trip backwards through their discography, it's been ages (by which I mean several years) since I listened to anything between Transilvanian and Plaguewielder.

I agree with BAN that they come by their retro vibes honestly, and while I could do without their later material,I don't fault them for it.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

This conversation reminds me how much I enjoy late 90s-early 2000s Darkthrone. Their song structures kind of drag at times, but I dig them up through Sardonic Wrath, and that album is a fucking banger. It's their last black metal album and their first completely retro album IMO. Moving backward, Hate Them is a transitional album; it more than flirts with the first-wave stylings they'd embrace afterwards, but it still has some of the more modern-sounding angular tremolo riffing that made up much of the albums prior. The music on Plaguewielder has a lot more in common with contemporary Satyricon, I guess they were all really tight back then, and it's only got one Fenriz song, which is also the most old-school/black n' roll track on there. I'm gonna take a trip backwards through their discography, it's been ages (by which I mean several years) since I listened to anything between Transilvanian and Plaguewielder.

I agree with BAN that they come by their retro vibes honestly, and while I could do without their later material,I don't fault them for it.

I stopped buying their albums after 'Sardonic Wrath'. It was sort of a bridge too far for me and I wasn't feeling the vibe. I guess I feel the same about 'Hate Them'. I just find those albums fairly mediocre.

I steered well clear of the albums after that, although I did buy 'Arctic Thunder' due to the hype (and promising album art), but am largely disappointed with that album too, although it's alright. They seem happy in just playing blackened heavy metal that for me doesn't really go anywhere and serves no real purpose beyond simply existing or something. It just all feels so redundant. I presume for them it reignites the great spirit of the 80s that they loved so much, but for me the songs start, trundle along, then end.

I'm exaggerating a little bit because 'Arctic Thunder' does have a bit of vibe to it, but not enough for me to get very excited about it. They're sort of like Iron Maiden. People revere them, quite rightly, for their first four or five albums, but much of their output in the last 20 years is fairly throwaway and seems almost like an income-earner rather than a work of art. Get together, jam for about 15 minutes, bang out an album, make a few Euros, repeat. Am I being ignorant here? 

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said: This conversation reminds me how much I enjoy late 90s-early 2000s Darkthrone. Their song structures kind of drag at times, but I dig them up through Sardonic Wrath, and that album is a fucking banger. It's their last black metal album and their first completely retro album IMO. Moving backward, Hate Them is a transitional album; it more than flirts with the first-wave stylings they'd embrace afterwards, but it still has some of the more modern-sounding angular tremolo riffing that made up much of the albums prior. The music on Plaguewielder has a lot more in common with contemporary Satyricon, I guess they were all really tight back then, and it's only got one Fenriz song, which is also the most old-school/black n' roll track on there. I'm gonna take a trip backwards through their discography, it's been ages (by which I mean several years) since I listened to anything between Transilvanian and Plaguewielder.

I stopped buying their albums after 'Sardonic Wrath'. It was sort of a bridge too far for me and I wasn't feeling the vibe. I guess I feel the same about 'Hate Them'. I just find those albums fairly mediocre.

I steered well clear of the albums after that, although I did buy 'Arctic Thunder' due to the hype (and promising album art), but am largely disappointed with that album too, although it's alright. They seem happy in just playing blackened heavy metal that for me doesn't really go anywhere and serves no real purpose beyond simply existing or something. It just all feels so redundant. I presume for them it reignites the great spirit of the 80s that they loved so much, but for me the songs start, trundle along, then end.

I'm exaggerating a little bit because 'Arctic Thunder' does have a bit of vibe to it, but not enough for me to get very excited about it. They're sort of like Iron Maiden. People revere them, quite rightly, for their first four or five albums, but much of their output in the last 20 years is fairly throwaway and seems almost like an income-earner rather than a work of art. Get together, jam for about 15 minutes, bang out an album, make a few Euros, repeat. Am I being ignorant here? 

I agree with FA, Sardonic Wrath is pretty raging, fitting its name well and probably being one of the best late-era Darkthrone albums. Hate Them helped to transition them there from the somewhat ambivalent sounding Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, and Total Death (to some degree), but those albums aren't bad, just uninspired. Those literally were the product of what you mention at the end of your post, with the liner notes literally stating that the recordings were made in only 20 something hours for most of these mid-period albums. It seemed like they had found their purpose again on Sardonic Wrath, even if it still couldn't compare to the classics, and then started taking an atavistic approach to their sound. Incorporating a lot of the d-beat/crust punk and heavy/speed metal that inspired them, they reignited their vigor in a lot of ways. It doesn't seem disingenuous like many throwback acts though, because those elements have always been there. I haven't heard Arctic Thunder, but in every Darkthrone album up through The Underground Resistance, you'll find that signature Darkthrone sound built upon a base of Celtic Frost inspired riffs. They morphed how they used them from their death metal days through now, but they've always been there, as have allusions to crust (the d-beat section in Kathaarian Life Code comes to mind) and heavy/speed metal that have varied over time. I get that their new sound isn't for everyone, it is different music from their classic sound that most people fell in love with when they found the band, but they're still very much the same band doing what they've always done. I don't think anyone would accuse them of being better than ever, but they certainly deserve the respect they get, hardly reaching the mediocrity levels of the likes of Iron Maiden.

4 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I agree with FA, Sardonic Wrath is pretty raging, fitting its name well and probably being one of the best late-era Darkthrone albums. Hate Them helped to transition them there from the somewhat ambivalent sounding Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, and Total Death (to some degree), but those albums aren't bad, just uninspired. Those literally were the product of what you mention at the end of your post, with the liner notes literally stating that the recordings were made in only 20 something hours for most of these mid-period albums. It seemed like they had found their purpose again on Sardonic Wrath, even if it still couldn't compare to the classics, and then started taking an atavistic approach to their sound. Incorporating a lot of the d-beat/crust punk and heavy/speed metal that inspired them, they reignited their vigor in a lot of ways. It doesn't seem disingenuous like many throwback acts though, because those elements have always been there. I haven't heard Arctic Thunder, but in every Darkthrone album up through The Underground Resistance, you'll find that signature Darkthrone sound built upon a base of Celtic Frost inspired riffs. They morphed how they used them from their death metal days through now, but they've always been there, as have allusions to crust (the d-beat section in Kathaarian Life Code comes to mind) and heavy/speed metal that have varied over time. I get that their new sound isn't for everyone, it is different music from their classic sound that most people fell in love with when they found the band, but they're still very much the same band doing what they've always done. I don't think anyone would accuse them of being better than ever, but they certainly deserve the respect they get, hardly reaching the mediocrity levels of the likes of Iron Maiden.

You don't think they run the risk of devaluing their currency by releasing rough garage job after rushed garage job? They're up to album number 16 by my count. Surely they're not feeling the spark that once made them great. I'm not hearing the spark. I'm hearing routine, which is a dangerous approach to creating art. 

This was another nightmare to narrow down.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1991

1. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

This is almost freeform jazz in the spazzy tech-death approach. It's totally unique and absolutely incredible

2. Death - Human

The first of what I'd call their pure tech-death albums. More melody, more technicality, a phenomenal album.

3. Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium

One of the heaviest albums ever made. Crushing tone, intense riffs, this is masterful doom/death.

4. Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Relentless riffing mid-tempo death metal. There's just no let-up. This is like being crushed by a tank except you enjoy the experience.

5. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

A stunning death metal album from the often praised black metallers. This album showcases great technicality and mastery of the genre.

6. Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods

Their second viking metal album loses none of the magic. You can't improve on perfection but this comes fairly close.

7. Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead

This unique death/thrash album is a real gem. There's a weird energy about it that makes this a standout.

8. Type O Negative - Slow Deep & Hard

This is among the angriest doom albums ever made. Pete Steele's unique lyrics paired with crushing riffs and a strange tone make for a truly intense listen.

9. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

Atmospheric evil sounding death metal following on from their debut. A true masterpiece.

10. Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten

What a beast. The tone is unreal - heavy and almost tangible. This one just smothers you with brutal riffs and relentless tempo.

Fuck me this was hard. Enough honourable mentions for a list of their own honestly.

4 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

You don't think they run the risk of devaluing their currency by releasing rough garage job after rushed garage job? They're up to album number 16 by my count. Surely they're not feeling the spark that once made them great. I'm not hearing the spark. I'm hearing routine, which is a dangerous approach to creating art. 

I don't think it's fair to demand masterpieces continually from a band when they set the bar high to begin with. They have kind of worked themselves into a routine that, while slowly changing, mostly runs through the same area for the last 10 or so years. I still enjoy it, but even if I didn't, I don't see how that would damage their legacy. It's not as though they're releasing Cold Lake every couple of years.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1992

1. Asphyx - Last One On Earth

Crushing tone, relentless riffs, mid-tempo death metal at its finest. Asphyx take the best parts of Obituary and Bolt Thrower, fuse them, and add a doomy vibe for good measure. What an album.

2. Deicide - Legion

Taking the chaos of their debut and ramping up the technicality. There's a touch more control and it makes for a more cohesive listen.

3. Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky

The change from death to black metal worked a treat. This album sounds evil, the atmosphere is sinister, and the riffs lose none of the technicality they displayed on Soulside Journey. A masterpiece for a reason.

4. Sinister - Cross The Styx

Missed '91 by a day. This savage display of technical death/thrash is simply stunning.

5. Grave - You'll Never See...

This under-rated death metal gem is downright sick. Go listen to it now.

6. Incantation - Onward To Golgotha

This murky mid tempo death metal abomination will totally ruin your day in the best possible way. I like to think of death metal as the aural equivalent of a journey through hell. For Incantation hell is not a boiling pit but rather a reeking, fetid, sewer. Not for the faint of heart but there's a comfy chair in there somewhere so go find it.

7. Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade

I've already talked about Bolt Thrower. They're incredibly consistent and this is another great album by them.

8. Cadaver - ...In Pains

Groovy somewhat technical death metal. This is a bit diffeent and a fun listening expeience.

9. Pan.Thy.Monium - Dawn Of Dreams

This is a somewhat unique experience. It's sort of progressive death metal with avant-garde touches in places. An outstandingly creative album.

10. Merciless - The Treasures Within

A really solid death metal album.

I need more albums from '92 that last spot doesn't sit right with me.

Wasn't happy with my '93 list so we're jumping a year.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1994

1. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Was it going to be anything else? The standard by which all black metal is judged.

2. Paramaecium - Exhumed Of The Earth

Heavy as fuck doom/death with folk undertones. This is an incredible album.

3. Bethlehem - Dark Metal

Doomy black metal with some underlying melody and magnificent songwriting.

4. Solitude Aeturnus - Through The Darkest Hour

The best album imo by this fantastic band. Epic songwriting, heavy riffs, great vocals this album has it all.

5. Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

This eerie funeral doom album is simply stunning. The atmosphere is tangible and bleak. A formidable album and a true classic.

6. Unholy - The Second Ring Of Power

Another eerie funeral doom/death album. Absolutely brilliant.

7. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes

This is an interesting album. Equal parts progressive death metal, folk metal, doom metal, and rock. That blend could seem confusing to the ear but it is executed brilliantly here.

8. Samael - Ceremony Of Opposites

This is an interesting album. It has progressive and doom tendencies set firmly in a black metal context. Quality release by a good band.

9. Salem - Kaddish

A middle-eastern vibe played in blackened doom/death context? This is unique and well executed. Sadly this band wouldn't reach such heights again.

10. Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory

Another quality album from Bolt Thrower. Incredibly consistent releases of good albums.

This was almost impossible what a great year for metal.

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Was it going to be anything else? The standard by which all black metal is judged.

The best album imo by this fantastic band. Epic songwriting, heavy riffs, great vocals this album has it all.

This eerie funeral doom album is simply stunning. The atmosphere is tangible and bleak. A formidable album and a true classic.

This is an interesting album. Equal parts progressive death metal, folk metal, doom metal, and rock. That blend could seem confusing to the ear but it is executed brilliantly here.

This is an interesting album. It has progressive and doom tendencies set firmly in a black metal context. Quality release by a good band.

9. Salem - Kaddish

A middle-eastern vibe played in blackened doom/death context? This is unique and well executed. Sadly this band wouldn't reach such heights again.

Another quality album from Bolt Thrower. Incredibly consistent releases of good albums.

Definitely not what I would have picked for a lot of the entries but an interesting list nonetheless. 

MacabreEternal's Top Seven Albums - 2003

Another year I can't hit a top ten with - I was away from the scene really 2000-2006 trapped in a hate filled marriage to keep me nicely distracted.

7. Wormed "Planisphaerium"

Not their best by any means but entertaining all the same and a solid foundation to build from.

6. Opeth "Damnation"

Easy listening stuff really - not a regular on my playlist but still enjoyable whenever I do play it.

5. Drudkh "Forgotten Legends"

The Ukrainians again mesmerise with their balance of atmosphere and aggression.

4. Leviathan "The Tenth Sub-Level Of Suicide"

Messy, chaotic and full of raw emotion.  Similar to most women in my life.

3. Sargeist “Satanic Black Devotion”

Mournful melodies and murderous intent throughout, been revisiting this a lot recently.

2. Nocternity “Onyx”

Immersing myself in this record comes very easily to me for such a recent acquisition.

1. Enslaved “Below The Lights”

My favourite Enslaved album, one which I have heard described as “the King Crimson” release of “black metal”.  I don’t entirely agree with that statement yet there is no denying the solid structure of “Below The Lights”.  Brings me right back to my above point about “immersive” music, any album you can put on and get lost in is a winner for me.

9. Salem - Kaddish

Exhumed of the Earth is from 93, does that help at all?

'95 is a total write-off. Turns out I barely have ten albums for that year so moving along to...

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1996

1. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

One massive technical, progressive, melodic and layered death metal song. Album-songs are hard to pull off but this is a masterpiece.

2. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfornia

That title literally translates as harsh winter symphony. An appropriate title for the dramatic black metal on display here.

3. Cryptopsy - None So Vile

There really wasn't much as downright evil in death metal at the time. This album is short and savage.

4. Immolation - Here In After

A nasty, somewhat dissonant, technical death metal album well worth listening to.

5. Negura Bunget - Zirnindu-Sa

Folky progressive black metal. Majestic and reminiscent of winter.

6. Paramaecium - Within The Ancient Forest

Slightly folky progressive doom death. Another quality release by these guys.

7. Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack

Savage hateful black/thrash. Riffs for days on this beast.

8. Type O Negative - October Rust

Furthering the doom/gothic metal vibe with more goth rock incorporated into the sound it's another good album by Pete Steele and co.

9. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

Intense groove metal. Great riffs and typically solid Dimebag solos.

10. Cradle Of Filth - Dusk...and Her Embrace

Symphonic black/gothic metal. A solid second album.

I admit I don't like those last two spots. Not a strong year in my collection.