Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Best get 2003 out of the way, otherwise I might get overtaken by that Kukumber in a Halloween costume…

10. Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife

Brutal tech-death which maintains just enough melody in the music.

9. Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil

spacey atmospheric sections interspersed with what could best be described as Morbid Angel’s Covenant played at light speed.

8. Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & So

Heavy and folky Viking metal leaning more on the death metal side of that spectrum.

7. Aborym - With No Human Intervention

Hateful black metal with industrial undertones.

6. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends

Triumphant and epic sounding black metal.

5. Darkspace - Dark Space I

Dark and foreboding black metal, Music which truly reflects the hostile nature of our universe.

4. Monolithe - Monolithe I

Bleak, heavy funeral doom this album-song is perfect if you want your music laced with references to human history…

3. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

Dissonant and atmospheric black metal? Yes please.

2. Sargeist - Satanic Black Devotion

Insert line about evil sounding black metal here…

1. Leviathan - The Tenth Sub-Layer of Suicide
Hateful black metal in that DSBM style pioneered By Bethlehem. This album vows to make the whole world feel it’s pain.

It's a new millennium!

1. Dezperadoz – Dawn Of Dying

2. Electric Wizard – Dopethrone

3. Slaughter Lord – Thrash ‘Til Death 86-87

4. Frenzal Rhomb – Shut Your Mouth

5. Opprobrium – Discerning Forces

6. Orange Goblin – The Big Black

7. Iron Maiden – Brave New World

8. Black Label Society – Stronger Than Death

9. The Head Cat – Lemmy, Slim Jim & Danny B

10. Devin Townsend – Physicist

Too many good albums came out in 2005. Ended up going with my top 20

Evilfeast - Funeral Sorcery

Slugathor - Circle of Death

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Taake - Hordalands doedskvad

Ondskapt - Dödens evangelium

Mortem - De Natura Daemonum

Tundra - Ansia

Coffins - Mortuary in Darkness

Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas

Satanic Warmaster - Carelian Satanist Madness

Kroda - До небокраю життя...

Mael Mórdha - Cluain Tarḃ

Spearhead - Deathless Steel Command

Drastus - Roars from the Old Serpent's Paradise

Craft - Fuck the Universe

Adorior - Author of Incest

Sargeist - Disciple of the Heinous Path

Heol Telwen - An Deiz Ruz

Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Macabre Omen - The Ancient Returns

Fascinating, we have 7 in common so 35% which is a good amount of overlap I guess, but still we had 13 different which just goes to show that even two black metal guys can have such very different tastes. Which is the whole point of this list-making exercize.

I assumed you'd have Slugathor as your #1 because your love for them is legendary, but looks like I didn't take into account your love for Evilfeast. I think they're great too, I have 5 of theirs. But they're not as important a band for me as I cut them to get down to 20, and they didn't make my 2004 either.

You've got 5 albums I've never heard before so I'd better get busy checking them out. Have a funny feeling Spearhead's probably gonna have some high-pitched vocals so I'll get them out of the way first. Or I suppose with that album title they could always be thrash too, I guess I'll find out in a few minutes. My money's on high-pitched.

Oh shit I was completely wrong! No high-pitched vox to be found on this record, this is more of a thrashy blackened deathened affair. M-A says black/death I would call them more black/thrash but either way they're badass. Very cool, I might have to look into finding this. Thanks Surge. 🍻

My lists aren't ordered by preference...that's just how they come up as I write things down. I don't think I could ever really rank my albums from most favorite to less favorite.

I had a few more that ended up on your list in my consideration pile. Stuff like Stormcrow and Flame could have very easily made my list on any given day. Horna I like, and "Envaatnags..." is a really good album, but they have so many that are just as good, figured I'd just sideline them this time around for something else. Azaghal was another one, but I'm kind of realizing that, while they're always solid, they rarely make it up into "must listen to" territory for me. The stronger the year, they more likely they are to get bumped

As for Evilfeast, he's only got the five releases, but I don't think he's ever done a bad album. They'll all most likely end up on my lists as the right year rolls around

2007's a big year for me as we have my #1 metal album of all time, and at least 3 entries in the top 10 albums of the decade here if not more.

1. Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations

2. Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites

3. Sathanas - Crowned Infernal

Morrigan - The Damned

Decayed - Hexagram

Cemetery Urn - Urn of Blood

Eternity - Funeral Mass

Monarque - Fier Heretique

Horna - Sotahuuto

Type O Negative - Dead Again      .

Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today

Ravencult - Temples of Torment

Nidsang - The Mark of Death

Nuclear Death Terror - Nuclear Death Terror

Dead to this World - First Strike for Spiritual Renewance

Vomitory - Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize

Insect Warfare - World Extermination

P.L.F. - Pulverizing Lethal Force

After the Bombs - Relentless Onslaught

Necromessiah - Antiklerical Terroristik Death Squad

2004, once again I don’t anticipate much crossover with the rest of you on my list

I don’t anticipate much crossover with the rest of you on my list

10. Persuader - Evolution Purgatory

as we’ve established I don’t mind a little bit of power metal every now and then, especially when it’s on the heavier end of the spectrum. Persuade her to sound kind of like a pissed off blind guardian and this is easily the best album in their catalogue.

9. Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

Melodic and technical without being wanky this is how I like my tech-death.

8. Spite Extreme Wing - Non Dycor, Dycor

apparently these guys like to call themselves anti-DSBM but to me they just sound like melodic black metal either way they are doing it their own way.

7. Reclusiam - Reclusiam

i’m not 100% confident this demo actually came out in 2004, but that’s what it is listed on MA last time I checked so I’m rolling with it. Anyway this is some heavy and tortured funeral doom/death end I have to say particularly in funeral doom the Quality of demo recordings seems to be higher than full length releases in other sub genres.

6. Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell

this album was a significant step up in quality from their previous outing as far as I am concerned, overall a much more mature black metal sound.

5. Kill - Horned Holocaust

well I have to thank Surj for this one, man has good taste.

4. Drowning the Light - Drowned

what can I say I like my black metal murky and evil.

3. Inquisition - Magnificent Glorifications of Lucifer

much like our friend the goat I dig the hell out of Inquisition but for once they aren’t cracking my top to…

2. Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth

what can I say I love my doom especially when it’s this heavy and melancholic, almost feels like funeral doom at times.

1. Fungoid Stream - Caelinis Fragments

Ok so I will admit my spelling might not be correct on that album title… But damn is this some weird and atmospheric funeral doom. Probably the closest I’ve heard a band get to Thergothon Actually and not at all the kind of metal I would expect to come from Argentina of all places.

actually and not at all the kind of metal I would expect to come from Argentina of all places.

Dam this list was hard, so for the first time some honourable mentions: Anata - Under a Stone With No Inscription, Demonoid - Riders of the Apocaplypse, Rigor Sardonicus - Principia Sardonica

Turned into a much bigger year than I expected, so here's another top 20

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness

Drawn and Quartered - Hail Infernal Darkness

Dismember - The God That Never Was

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum

Negative Plane - Et in Saecula Saeculorum

Bestial Holocaust - Final Extermination

Lathspell - Versus Ecclesia

Proclamation - Advent of the Black Omen

Coffins - The Other Side of Blasphemy

West Wall - Blitzkrieg Symphony #1

Horna - Ääniä yössä

Incantation - Primordial Domination

Azarath - Diabolic Impious Evil

Yaotl Mictlan - Guerreros de la tierra de los Muertos

Antaeus - Blood Libels

Wolf - The Black Flame

Hellish Crossfire - Slaves of the Burning Pentagram

Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness

Force of Darkness - Force of Darkness

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain upon the Impure

1. Slayer - God Hates Us All

2. Sodom – M-16

3. Wayne – Metal Church

4. Nick Menza - Life After Deth

5. Bolt Thrower - Honour · Valour · Pride

6. W.A.S.P. - Unholy Terror

7. Testament - First Strike Still Deadly

8. Spirit Caravan - Elusive Truth

9. Kreator - Violent Revolution

10. Flotsam and Jetsam - My God

2008 was a very strong year for me. So many favorite albums, I had a lot of trouble narrowing down here, and we all know how I feel about narrowing down. Every time I'd take one off and start to feel like I was getting somewhere, I'd have to add another one that had been skipped over. So at some point you just have to stop and say it is what it is and just post it already.

1. Decayed - The Black Metal Flame

2. Blasphemophagher - Nuclear Empire of Apocalypse

3. Grave Desecrator - Sign of Doom

4. Psychopathic Terror - 230204

5. Azaghal - Omega

6. Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle

7. Avsky - Malignant 

Ruins - Satanic Bitchpenetration

Behexen  -  From the Devil's Chalice 

Black Fire - Between the Eternal Flames of Black Fire       .

Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy   

Coffins - Buried Death              

Vacant Coffin - Sewer Skullpture

Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels

Grave - Dominion VIII

Trench Hell - Southern Cross Ripper

Wolfbrigade - Comalive

Purgatory - Cultus Luciferi - The Splendour of Chaos

Desaster - 666 - Satan's Soldiers Syndicate

Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War

Krypt - Preludes to Death 

Urn - Soul Destroyers

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

2008 was a very strong year for me. So many favorite albums, I had a lot of trouble narrowing down here, and we all know how I feel about narrowing down. Every time I'd take one off and start to feel like I was getting somewhere, I'd have to add another one that had been skipped over. So at some point you just have to stop and say it is what it is and just post it already.

1. Decayed - The Black Metal Flame

2. Blasphemophagher - Nuclear Empire of Apocalypse

3. Grave Desecrator - Sign of Doom

4. Psychopathic Terror - 230204

5. Azaghal - Omega

6. Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle

7. Avsky - Malignant 

Ruins - Satanic Bitchpenetration

Behexen  -  From the Devil's Chalice 

Black Fire - Between the Eternal Flames of Black Fire       .

Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy   

Coffins - Buried Death              

Vacant Coffin - Sewer Skullpture

Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels

Grave - Dominion VIII

Trench Hell - Southern Cross Ripper

Wolfbrigade - Comalive

Purgatory - Cultus Luciferi - The Splendour of Chaos

Desaster - 666 - Satan's Soldiers Syndicate

Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War

Krypt - Preludes to Death 

Urn - Soul Destroyers

I am will get to 2008 eventually, but I’m pretty sure hail of bullets and Dad congregation will make my list as well.

Dead Congregation damn siri

angelus exuro pro eternus by dark funeral

wormwood by marduk

massive aggressive by municipal waste

ballade cuntre lo anemi francor by peste noire

into the sewer by in defence

from afar by ensiferum

revelations of the black flame by 1349

quantos possunt ad satanitem trahunt by gorgoroth

evangelion by behemoth

corrosive rivers of blood by neverchrist

honorable mentions: the perdition by enslavement of beauty, ikonoklast by urgehal and what horrors await by jungle rot

2010,2011&2012(not enough favorites in the years alone for a top 10)

demonoir by 1349

road to the octagon by impaled nazarene

surtur rising by amon amarth

noregs vaapen by taake

kill on command by jungle rot

serpent sermon by marduk

torture by cannibal corpse 

return to provenance by golden dawn

from the black ashes by nebrus

the magic of nature by elderwind

2002 Woohoo! I'm catching up

1. Daemon - Eye For An Eye

2. Black Label Society – 1919 Eternal

3. Orange Goblin – Coup De Grace

4. Halford – Crucible

5. Star One – Space Metal

6. Electric Wizard – Let Us Prey

7. Meldrum – Loaded Mental Canon

8. Motorhead – Hammered

9. Manowar – Warriors Of The World

10. Tank – Still At War

I've gotten as far as 2008 but I'm gonna wait for Surge to do his '07 & '08 before I go any further. He's the one I'd expect to have the most overlap with out of the handful of us who have been participating in this little exercize, even though that hasn't really been how it's played out.  We do have some stuff in common, but not quite as much as I would have thought. But regardless, he and I have been talking metal both electronically and at MDF's for well over a decade now and I enjoy comparing our years head to head.

What's really surprised me is that Serpie92 and I both being rabid black metal fanatics have had such little in common as far as which albums we like from any given year. Even though both of our lists have been fairly heavy on the black metal, for many years there have been not even one album that our lists had in common.

I enjoy seeing Kuke and Blivvie's and our Father's lists as well but I've learned not to expect much overlap if any with those dudes, maybe a lone random match here or there. I bet if BaN (Jayke) were to come back and play along that he and Blivvie would have a ton of albums in common. Those guys are like two peas in a pod. 

Worth noting that BAN was one of the main guys recommended stuff to me when I started branching out from my primarily thrash and heavy metal based listening habits. I do like a lot of the bands from both you and Surj’s lists so it’s probably more the case I’m choosing a Albums I have spent more time with. Serpent is very much doing his own thing, I’ve noticed there’s not much crossover between his lists and any of ours.

I'm going to be slow getting 2007 out. Have a lot going on this weekend, so not going to be able to work it out liked I'd hoped. I've got it down to about 33 albums, but I know I can cut a few these out, because my taste has changed a lot in recent years.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've gotten as far as 2008 but I'm gonna wait for Surge to do his '07 & '08 before I go any further. He's the one I'd expect to have the most overlap with out of the handful of us who have been participating in this little exercize, even though that hasn't really been how it's played out.

We have a lot of overlap in the albums we like...it's really more a matter of which ones we end up thinking are best. Like, a lot of yours are usually on my consider pile, but don't always make it onto the final list for one reason or another

It’s taken all week but finally 2005, in no particular order this time…

Akercocke - words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone

Ataraxie - slow transcending agony

Baptism - morbid wings off Sathanas

Bolt Thrower - those once loyal

Coffins - mortuary in darkness

Craft - fuck The universe

Dead Congregation - purifying consecrated ground

Evoken - antithesis of light

Flame - into the age of fire

Graven - The shadows eternal call

Horna - envaatn etc see Surj’s List for spelling this

Longing For Dawn - One lonely path

Monolithe - Monolithe ii

Mournful Congregation - the monad of creation

Nortt - Ligfaerd

Ondskapt - dodens evangelium

Rites of Thy Degringolade - an ode to sin

StarGazer - the scream that tore the sky

Svartsyn - bloodlines

!T.O.O.H! - order and punishment

It occurs to me that although Blivvie started us off at 1990, there was certainly metal before then. So while I'm waiting for you jokers to catch up to me and Serpico92 I figure I might as well start working backwards from 1990, starting of course with 1989.

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

Coroner - No More Color

Autopsy - Severed Survival

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Overkill - The Years of Decay

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos

Extreme Noise Terror - A Holocaust In Your Head

Repulsion - Horrified

Deathwish - Demon Preacher

Sodom - Agent Orange

Excel - The Joke's on You

Cosmic Psychos - Go the Hack