Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Sarcasm doesn’t translate well to text it seems…

Hahaha I guess not. Well don't I feel stupid now. It certainly happens to me a lot when I think I'm clearly being sarcastic or facetious and people don't catch it. I went and looked up the album thinking maybe they had switched styles or something since their album 2 years earlier. Wouldn't be the first band to pull an about face. Disregard my comments then Blivvie, have a wonderful day, I'll just go back to what I was doing and keep my mouth shut.

2001 really is a cursed year, now the document I keep all my albums sorted in has decided to wipe it self, was able to restore it from a previous backup but there’s a tonne of new stuff I had written down that just isn’t here any more. 

4 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hahaha I guess not. Well don't I feel stupid now. It certainly happens to me a lot when I think I'm clearly being sarcastic or facetious and people don't catch it. I went and looked up the album thinking maybe they had switched styles or something since their album 2 years earlier. Wouldn't be the first band to pull an about face. Disregard my comments then Blivvie, have a wonderful day, I'll just go back to what I was doing and keep my mouth shut.

It’s definitely not pure thrash, no wonder I like it so much…

So 2001, some pretty cool stuff that didn’t make my final list actually.

10. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

this definitely won’t appeal to many, more a progressive rock album then a.m. progressive metal one. Also an album-song so the one concept spends the entire 60 minute run time.

9. Fantomas - The Directors Cut

I don’t really know what to call this, avant-garde? Anyway it’s weird and energetic, plus I love that there is a song on this album inspired by twin peaks.

8. Akercocke - The Goat of Mendes

FA and I definitely agree on the quality of this one, more straightforward black metal then words that go unspoken still a very high quality album.

7. Absu - Tara

it isn’t often that the drumming is the highlight on an album but damn is Proscriptor on fire here, pair that with the blackened thrash being played over the top and you’re in for a very good time.

6. Thorns - Thorns

you know I love my black metal to sound evil, and there is plenty in the atmosphere of Thorns.

5. Diabolical Masquerade - Death’s Design

It’s almost like hearing a heavier version of Katatonia’s Evolution at the time, much more death metal then the previous release.

4. Funebrarum - Under the Columns of Abandoned Gods

Cavernous and heavy, don’t you just love that in your death metal?  I know I do.

3. Craft - Total Soul Rape

Evil, sometimes dissonant this is how I want my more modern black metal to sound.

2. King’s Evil - Deletion of Humanoise

I should have got my list out sooner so I could say I was rating this album before it was cool… jokes aside you really think a band with evil in the name isn’t going to play some nasty, chaotic, black metal? I’ve heard rumours this album has been proven at 100% lethal against Kukumbers.

1. Horna - Sudentaival

Well It popped my list, fair to say I’ve spent a lot of time with this album so it was always taking the top spot probably for nostalgic reasons.

it popped my list, fair to say I’ve spent a lot of time with this album so it was always taking the top spot probably for nostalgic reasons.

Seems FA and I have almost half a list in common for 2001. Also I would love to know why parts of my posts just get randomly duplicated… Since the list still makes sense regardless I can’t be bothered going back and changing it 

Okay...all caught up

Armagedda - Ond Spiritism: Djæfvvlens Skalder Anno Serpenti MMIV

Evilfeast - Mysteries of the Nocturnal Forest

Kill - Horned Holocaust

Satan's Host - Burning the Born Again... (A New Philosophy)

Wolf - Evil Star

Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan

Church of Misery - The Second Coming

Drowning the Light - Drowned

Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell

The Chasm - The Spell of Retribution

1a9e9ba8336c04f8167485dae8159b6f_w200.gi

I've made it to '96. Normally I'd have re-listened to some more albums before making the list from scratch but I'm already a decade behind you speedsters.

1. Skyclad – Irrational Anthems

2. Devin Townsend – Punky Bruster – Hooked On Phonics

3. Allegiance - Skinman

4. Motorhead – Overnight Sensation

5. Frenzal Rhomb – Not So Tough Now

6. Overkill – The Killing Kind

7. Manowar – Louder Than Hell

8. Zakk Wylde – Book Of Shadows

9. Jason Becker – Perspective

10. Strappado – Stappado

Yeah I do mean Slaughter. The typo was my error but this is why I like to spend more time with lists than just going through a bunch of names and release dates. I've got a '96 bootleg re-release of Strappado and when searching a database just for 1996 I didn't see or think about the original because I was thinking about other things. It probably should come off the list, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd replace it with anyway.

Kill - Horned Holocaust, Sweden, first listen. This would definitely have made my list had I known of it. Now I see it's the same band Kill that released the killer Devil Mass album 3 years ago. Seems I should've looked into their back catalogue.

Virgin Sacrificed, don't come at me Hungarinosan, there's no disturbing artwork accompanying this virgin sacrifice

23 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I do mean Slaughter. The typo was my error but this is why I like to spend more time with lists than just going through a bunch of names and release dates. I've got a '96 bootleg re-release of Strappado and when searching a database just for 1996 I didn't see or think about the original because I was thinking about other things. It probably should come off the list, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd replace it with anyway.

I was just curious if that was the album you meant or if there was some other band I didn't know about.

Would have sworn I had already posted 2004 but I don't see it anywhere on this page or the last so here we go. 

Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell

Blodsrit - Helveteshymner

Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath

Nattefrost - Blood & Vomit

Clandestine Blaze - Deliverers of Faith

Armagedda - Ond Spiritism

Diaboli - Kirous

Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer

Vomitory - Primal Massacre

The Chasm - The Spell of Retribution

Warcry - Maniacs On Pedestals

Negator - Old Black

Alastor - Infernal Lord

Azaghal - Perkeleen Luoma

Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby! 

Damn, I might even get three years done in one day if this lazy arse Saturday keeps up.

1. Orange Goblin - Frequencies From Planet Ten

2. Strapping Young Lad – City

3. Testament – Demonic

4. Obituary - Back From the Dead

5. Frenzal Rhomb - Meet The Family

6. Overkill - From the Underground and Below

7. Skyclad - The Answer Machine?

8. Cosmic Psychos - Oh What A Lovely Pie

9. Slo Burn - Amuse The Amusing

10. Psycho Motel - Welcome To The World

Yes I've been working on 2005 for an hour or so and I think it would be virtually impossible to get it down to 10.

1. Stormcrow - Enslaved in Darkness

Necroccultus - Encircling the Mysterious Necrorevelation

Flame - Into the Age of Fire

Horna - Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne

Graven - The Shadows Eternal Call

Ondskapt - Dödens Evangelium

Azaghal - Codex Antitheus

Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas

Craft - Fuck the Universe

Svartsyn - Bloodline         .

Gravewürm - Under the Banner of War

Burial Hordes - War, Revenge and Total Annihilation

Sathanas - Entering the Diabolic Trinity

Drastus - Roars From the Old Serpent's Paradise

Coffins - Mortuary In Darkness

Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Evoken - Antithesis of Light  

Slugathor - Circle of Death

Peter Pan Speedrock/Zeke Split

Cosmic Psychos - Off Ya Cruet!

Well at least I'm catching up to one of you :)

1. Orange Goblin – Time Travellin’ Blues

2. Dropkick Murphys – Do Or Die

3. Bolt Thrower – Mercenary

4. Death – The Sound Of Perseverance

5. Morbid Angel – Formulas Fatal To The Flesh

6. Iron Maiden – Virtual XI

7. Motorhead – Snake Bite Love

8. Tankard – Disco Destroyer

9. Madball – Look My Way

10. Ayreon – Into The Electric Castle

2002 what a year.

10. Bathory - Nordland I

Unashamedly one of my favourite bands, a real return to form.

9. Sadistik Exekution - Fukk

Punky death metal chaos, this rokks.

8. Primordial - Storm Before Calm

The album which sold me on these guys, a more atmospheric approach to black metal.

7. Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus

Melancholic melodic doom/death reminiscent of My Dying Bride.

6. Taake - Over Bjoergvin graater himmerkik

Melodic and evil black metal, less folky then Nattestid Ser Porten Vid.

5. Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star

It everyone else’s list so this is good stuff.

4. Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel… for an Iron Age

My favourite D666 album bar none.

3. Khold - Phantom

Cold and sinister, pfft and they said black metal was dead.

2. Craft - Terror Propaganda

slightly dissonant, evil BM ok noticing a theme here…

1. I nquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan

Something something something black metal, something evil something something…

not enough for 2005 and 2006 alone. gonna combine the years to make a top 10. i don't recall a rule forbidding that

2005 & 2006

attera totus sanctus by dark funeral

hell on earth by toxic holocaust

inventor of evil by destruction

winternight tragedies by catamenia

la sanie des siècles – panégyrique de la dégénérescence by peste noire

reinkaos by dissection

pro patria finland by impaled nazarene

warzone by jungle rot

with oden on our side by amon amarth

des schmerzes macht by infaust

No rules Serpie! No fear, no excuses, no compromise!

1. Archgoat - Whore of Bethlehem

2. Celtic Frost - Monotheist

3. Darkthrone - The Cult Is Alive

4. Morrigan - Welcome to Samhain

5. Hellish Crossfire - Slavery of the Burning Pentagram

Urgehal - Goatcraft Torment

Anti - The Insignificance of Life

Azaghal - Luciferin Valo

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum

Diaboli - The Antichrist                   .

Coffins - The Other Side of Blasphemy

Tragedy - Nerve Damage

Zeke - Super Sound Racing

Antaeus - Blood Libels

Nocturnal - Unholycraft, Blood for Glory of Satan

Extinction of Mankind - Northern Scum

Grave - As Rapture Comes

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

Serpent Obscene - Chaos Reign Supreme

Kult - Winds of War

Another banger year with so many great albums. I think pretty much every year's gonna be like this for me from here on out. Wanted to get the Funebrarum split on here too but the Interment half wasn't strong enough. I'm trying not to include EP's or comps either just to keep the numbers down.

i have the very same predicament with '07 & '08 as well

2007 & 2008

victory songs by ensiferum

manifest by impaled nazerene

folkfuck folie by peste noire

finnish steel storm by goatmoon

rom 5:12 by marduk

through the noose of existence by drowning the light

sotahuuto by horna

envoy of lucifer by nifelheim 

overdose of death by toxic holocaust

under the spell of the unlight by gloomy grim

....here's a few I liked from 2006....

POISON IDEA - Last Will And Testament

DARKTHRONE - The Cult Is Alive

VOIVOD - Katorz

GADGET - The Funeral March

PHOBIA - Cruel

CONVERGE - No Heroes

INCANTATION - Primordial Domination

NAPALM DEATH - Smear Campaign

GENERAL SURGERY - Left Hand Pathology

KRIEG - Blue Miasma

DEICIDE - The Stench Of Redemption

FUCKED UP - Hidden World

XASTHUR - Subliminal Genocide

OM - Conference Of The Birds

BATTLE OF MICE - A Day Of Nights

MERRIMACK - Of Entropy And Life Denial

ASMODEUS - Imperium Damnatum

ENOCHIAN CRESCENT - Black Church

NACHTMYSTIUM - Instinct: Decay

FORTERESSE - Metal Noir Quebecois

NOCTUARY - Recollection

BESTIAL MOCKERY - Gospel Of The Insane

1999 I've nearly hit a new millennium!

1. Frenzal Rhomb – A Man’s Not A Camel

2. Dropkick Murphys – The Gang’s All Here

3. Dungeon – Resurrection

4. Black Label Society – Sonic Brew

5. James Murphy – Feeding The Machines

6. Overkill – Necroshine

7. Spirit Caravan – Jug Fulla Sun

8. Testament – The Gathering

9. Skyclad – Vintage Whine

10. W.A.S.P. - Helldorado

On 8/13/2022 at 12:32 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Madball – Look My Way

Didn't know you were into NYHC, Orca. Always thought Madball were a little on the meathead side of things, I liked their parent company AF a lot more. But I guess meatheads need to have their bands too. From time to time I do enjoy their debut EP Ball of Destruction from when Roger & Vinnie were still in the band. Not sure if I've ever seen them live or not, so many shows back in the day it's hard to remember. It's possible I could've seen them open for someone one time but not likely as they only really hit their stride in the 90's and the majority of my NYC clubbing days were in the 80's. I've definitely seen AF at CB's and they were great.

14 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....here's a few I liked from 2006....

GADGET - The Funeral March

PHOBIA - Cruel

FUCKED UP - Hidden World

OM - Conference of the Birds

BATTLE OF MICE - A Day of Nights

ASMODEUS - Imperium Damnatum

ENOCHIAN CRESCENT - Black Church

NOCTUARY - Recollection

These are all the ones I need to check out today because I've never heard of them. Besides OM and Enochian Crescent which are bands I've heard of before, but I haven't heard those albums. As of right now Battle of Mice and Gadget are the two I haven't gotten to yet. So far those bottom 3 albums on the list have been the best. Thanks for the list Marko.