Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

What do you think of Unchain the Wolves, Goat Horns and Hopeless Hopes? 
Goat Horns is good, but I think I prefer my other Nokturnal Mortum albums to it, especially NeChrist. Even the Lunar Poetry demo does more for me, which is probably die to the thin guitar tone and being a bit put off by the overly keyboard heavy mix. I don't have any Martyr albums, and Unchain the Wolves is one of the few D666 albums I don't have.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Goat Horns is good, but I think I prefer my other Nokturnal Mortum albums to it, especially NeChrist. Even the Lunar Poetry demo does more for me, which is probably die to the thin guitar tone and being a bit put off by the overly keyboard heavy mix. I don't have any Martyr albums, and Unchain the Wolves is one of the few D666 albums I don't have.

If you want to listen to some really good technical death metal, Martyr is quite good with virtually all three of the albums they've released. 

Just now, Ekthelion said:

If you want to listen to some really good technical death metal, Martyr is quite good with virtually all three of the albums they've released. 

My favorite is Feeding The Abscess, but yeah. Martyr is great. They straddle an odd line between tech death, tech thrash, and post-thrash groove to my ears. Never heard anybody else do quite what they do, and Dan is a fucking beast on guitar.

My favorite is Feeding The Abscess, but yeah. Martyr is great. They straddle an odd line between tech death, tech thrash, and post-thrash groove to my ears. Never heard anybody else do quite what they do, and Dan is a fucking beast on guitar.
Yes, Dan is indeed a beast. I didn't think it would be possible to revitalize Voivod after the death of Piggy, but he did exactly that. Their performance here in my town 2 years ago was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and a lot of that was to his credit.

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Yes, Dan is indeed a beast. I didn't think it would be possible to revitalize Voivod after the death of Piggy, but he did exactly that. Their performance here in my town 2 years ago was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and a lot of that was to his credit.

He definitely did Piggy justice as well as the new material.

He definitely did Piggy justice as well as the new material.
I love their new material because he not only does justice to Piggy and Voivod's sound, but he also brings his own style to the table, mixing new with old in the perfect way for a classic band. I was beyond impressed by him.

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 1998

1. Gorguts Obscura 

This album is insane. The level of complexity and the aggressively unsettling nature that Gorguts accomplishes in comparison to their albums prior to this one was unprecedented. While I don't listen to this one very often as it is exhausting even for my musical tastes. That said, it's definitely on the top for this year. 

2. Symphony X Twilight in Olympus

This album get somewhat overlooked due to getting sandwiched between two other enormous releases but it is no less excellent and it has some of the best material the band has ever recorded. This album also marked the unfortunate departure of bassist Thomas Miller from the band which is unfortunate as I love his compositional style and remarkable playing. Twilight in Olympus was also, funnily enough, the band at its most progressive and at its most power metal at this point with the former being represented by tracks like Through the Looking Glass and Church of the Machine and the latter being represented by tracks like Smoke and Mirrors and In the Dragon's Den. A continuation of their astonishingly excellent string of great albums. 

3. Blind Guardian Nightfall in Middle-Earth 

A surprising conceptual effort based upon J.R.R. Tolkien's immense origin story and epic, The Silmarillion. Despite using several interludes and being somewhat longer than Blind Guardian's preceding work, the album manages to be a passionate and well-composed effort that contains what is possibly some of their best material with many tracks featuring differing moods and themes throughout, beautifully evoking the spirit of the source material which proves as the subject of the album. Hell, even the aforementioned interludes set the mood for the song after them quite well, especially in the transition from Battle of Sudden Flame to Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill). Only bards such as these could breathe musical life to a story this grand. 

4. The Chasm Deathcult for Eternity (The Triumph) 

While this album is not my favorite in their discography, it's definitely their first great one. It takes what worked in their previous albums and fine-tunes them for maximum effect. Utilizing ominous and varied riffing, fluid and sorrowful leads, compellingly structured composition and some utterly grotesque vocals, it conjures an apocalyptic atmosphere that isn't solely carried by production. A triumph, indeed. 

5. Labÿrinth - Return to the Heaven Denied 

There are two premier Italian power metal albums that came out this year and this was one of them. Labÿrinth's sophomore release marked a change in vocalist (the previous being Fabio Leone which is amusing) to the incredible Roberto Tiranti and a fantastic development in the band's overall style. Featuring delightfully expressive guitarwork that combines '70s progressive rock melodic tendencies, speed and aggression akin to Painkiller and Malmsteen-esque complexity with an equally epic rhythm section and a seemingly crowded six-person lineup; all of the members' skills and contributions are incredibly well-balanced, leading to a power metal album that is permeated in rich composition and lush atmosphere. Even if you're not that into Euro-power metal, at least give this one a whirl. 

6. Slauter Xstroyes Free the Beast

So...Slauter Xstroyes. You probably remember these guys from when I did my 1985 list. Well, here they are. 13 years later. It took them a little while but they made it. This album is composed of material they had recorded throughout several periods in the '80s but is entirely new from their debut, Winter Kill. What is amazing is how well this material manages to hold up. Especially in years like this one where progressive tendencies were exploding in many subgenres of metal. The solo sections on this album can be described as proto-Atheist, featuring awesome solos with frantic bass runs underneath that manage to complement each other quite well. The bass playing is of particular interest as its surprisingly prominent in the composition even for the '90s in metal, let alone the '80s for a band of this style. As for the drumming, it's not quite as complex but definitely isn't just there to keep time as it contains some nice intricacies and well-timed fills. The only sticking point could be the vocals but if you like King Diamond or Harry Conklin, they should be up your alley as they are quite good while being in that vein. The amount of energy this band injects into their music despite not integrating dual guitar is admirable unto itself and the execution just makes it all that much better. 

7. Dawn Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) 

A fantastic followup to Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher, which was in and of itself a great debut. While being released at the tail end of the melodic black metal boom, it manages to still retain its status as an evocative work in that vein with some beautifully-written melodies and fantastic drumming. I was initially afraid that this album would appear a bit long winded (given that it's an album that is nearly an hour long with seven tracks) but Dawn ultimately utilize their time well and perfectly pace their composition. It's a standout, that's to be sure. 

8. Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh 

One of their best albums and a freewheeling musical adventure on the part of Trey Azagthoth. Despite a few compositional quibbles I have with the album and that I would have preferred the interludes to be spread out over the album rather than mostly stuck at the end, it still manages to be a fiery and manic work that shows that, just like how Tony Iommi was the core of Sabbath, Azagthoth was the core of Morbid Angel. Also, Steve Tucker's vocals and Pete Sandoval's drumming are utterly monstrous on this. 

9. Rhapsody Symphony of the Enchanted Lands 

Despite liking their debut, this album is a drastic improvement on it. Better orchestration, better production, far more inspired composition (especially on tracks like Beyond the Gates of Infinity and The Dark Tower of Abyss) and some genuinely impressive performances on all accounts. The only reason for it being this low is due to this being a powerhouse year and that their best album was yet to come. 

10. Runemagick The Supreme Force of Eternity 

A fierce piece of doom-laden death metal with substantive melodic sensibility and some awesome riffing that is sometimes kind of reminiscent of Bolt Thrower. An album that has grown on me in the past several years and has become a recurring listen for me when it comes to death metal. 

This year was massive. Would love to hear thoughts on the list. I'm glad to be doing these again. 

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 1998
1. Gorguts Obscura 
This album is insane. The level of complexity and the aggressively unsettling nature that Gorguts accomplishes in comparison to their albums prior to this one was unprecedented. While I don't listen to this one very often as it is exhausting even for my musical tastes. That said, it's definitely on the top for this year. 
2. Symphony X Twilight in Olympus
This album get somewhat overlooked due to getting sandwiched between two other enormous releases but it is no less excellent and it has some of the best material the band has ever recorded. This album also marked the unfortunate departure of bassist Thomas Miller from the band which is unfortunate as I love his compositional style and remarkable playing. Twilight in Olympus was also, funnily enough, the band at its most progressive and at its most power metal at this point with the former being represented by tracks like Through the Looking Glass and Church of the Machine and the latter being represented by tracks like Smoke and Mirrors and In the Dragon's Den. A continuation of their astonishingly excellent string of great albums. 
3. Blind Guardian Nightfall in Middle-Earth 
A surprising conceptual effort based upon J.R.R. Tolkien's immense origin story and epic, The Silmarillion. Despite using several interludes and being somewhat longer than Blind Guardian's preceding work, the album manages to be a passionate and well-composed effort that contains what is possibly some of their best material with many tracks featuring differing moods and themes throughout, beautifully evoking the spirit of the source material which proves as the subject of the album. Hell, even the aforementioned interludes set the mood for the song after them quite well, especially in the transition from Battle of Sudden Flame to Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill). Only bards such as these could breathe musical life to a story this grand. 
4. The Chasm Deathcult for Eternity (The Triumph) 
While this album is not my favorite in their discography, it's definitely their first great one. It takes what worked in their previous albums and fine-tunes them for maximum effect. Utilizing ominous and varied riffing, fluid and sorrowful leads, compellingly structured composition and some utterly grotesque vocals, it conjures an apocalyptic atmosphere that isn't solely carried by production. A triumph, indeed. 
5. Labÿrinth - Return to the Heaven Denied 
There are two premier Italian power metal albums that came out this year and this was one of them. Labÿrinth's sophomore release marked a change in vocalist (the previous being Fabio Leone which is amusing) to the incredible Roberto Tiranti and a fantastic development in the band's overall style. Featuring delightfully expressive guitarwork that combines '70s progressive rock melodic tendencies, speed and aggression akin to Painkiller and Malmsteen-esque complexity with an equally epic rhythm section and a seemingly crowded six-person lineup; all of the members' skills and contributions are incredibly well-balanced, leading to a power metal album that is permeated in rich composition and lush atmosphere. Even if you're not that into Euro-power metal, at least give this one a whirl. 
6. Slauter Xstroyes Free the Beast
So...Slauter Xstroyes. You probably remember these guys from when I did my 1985 list. Well, here they are. 13 years later. It took them a little while but they made it. This album is composed of material they had recorded throughout several periods in the '80s but is entirely new from their debut, Winter Kill. What is amazing is how well this material manages to hold up. Especially in years like this one where progressive tendencies were exploding in many subgenres of metal. The solo sections on this album can be described as proto-Atheist, featuring awesome solos with frantic bass runs underneath that manage to complement each other quite well. The bass playing is of particular interest as its surprisingly prominent in the composition even for the '90s in metal, let alone the '80s for a band of this style. As for the drumming, it's not quite as complex but definitely isn't just there to keep time as it contains some nice intricacies and well-timed fills. The only sticking point could be the vocals but if you like King Diamond or Harry Conklin, they should be up your alley as they are quite good while being in that vein. The amount of energy this band injects into their music despite not integrating dual guitar is admirable unto itself and the execution just makes it all that much better. 
7. Dawn Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) 
A fantastic followup to Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher, which was in and of itself a great debut. While being released at the tail end of the melodic black metal boom, it manages to still retain its status as an evocative work in that vein with some beautifully-written melodies and fantastic drumming. I was initially afraid that this album would appear a bit long winded (given that it's an album that is nearly an hour long with seven tracks) but Dawn ultimately utilize their time well and perfectly pace their composition. It's a standout, that's to be sure. 
8. Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh 
One of their best albums and a freewheeling musical adventure on the part of Trey Azagthoth. Despite a few compositional quibbles I have with the album and that I would have preferred the interludes to be spread out over the album rather than mostly stuck at the end, it still manages to be a fiery and manic work that shows that, just like how Tony Iommi was the core of Sabbath, Azagthoth was the core of Morbid Angel. Also, Steve Tucker's vocals and Pete Sandoval's drumming are utterly monstrous on this. 
9. Rhapsody Symphony of the Enchanted Lands 
Despite liking their debut, this album is a drastic improvement on it. Better orchestration, better production, far more inspired composition (especially on tracks like Beyond the Gates of Infinity and The Dark Tower of Abyss) and some genuinely impressive performances on all accounts. The only reason for it being this low is due to this being a powerhouse year and that their best album was yet to come. 
10. Runemagick The Supreme Force of Eternity 
A fierce piece of doom-laden death metal with substantive melodic sensibility and some awesome riffing that is sometimes kind of reminiscent of Bolt Thrower. An album that has grown on me in the past several years and has become a recurring listen for me when it comes to death metal. 

This year was massive. Would love to hear thoughts on the list. I'm glad to be doing these again. 

As usual, I'm not familiar with most of the power/prog here, but I can agree with at least a few of these. The Chasm and Gorguts would definitely be on my list, and those Morbid Angel and Runemagick albums might be as well.

2 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I love what I've heard, but I don't have either of Dawn's albums. That's the one glaring hole in my Swedish black metal collection it seems, as I have all of the other major bases pretty well covered.

Well, I'm sure you'll cover their discography soon enough. Also, I put an entry for that Labyrinth album on the 1001 Albums thread if you're interested. 

Well, I'm sure you'll cover their discography soon enough. Also, I put an entry for that Labyrinth album on the 1001 Albums thread if you're interested. 
I remember them being Rhapsody related, and I could never get into that band at all. I sold a lot of their stuff when I worked at the record store, and I tried on a few occasions with them, but it's not for me. Are they wildly different?

7 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I remember them being Rhapsody related, and I could never get into that band at all. I sold a lot of their stuff when I worked at the record store, and I tried on a few occasions with them, but it's not for me. Are they wildly different?

Well, they're less symphonic which is most noticeable when compared to Rhapsody. Like I stated originally, they're more in the progressive metal side of things. The vocals are also less over the top and the atmosphere is powerful but has a more sorrowful and nostalgic aura to it than the bombast of Rhapsody. You'd also be in for some more expressive guitarwork and a more noticeable and impressive rhythm section with some excellent bass playing. On those grounds, they're largely different. 

It's certainly not in the sword and sorcery and riding on dragons whilst decapitating orcs vein.

Well, they're less symphonic which is most noticeable when compared to Rhapsody. Like I stated originally, they're more in the progressive metal side of things. The vocals are also less over the top and the atmosphere is powerful but has a more sorrowful and nostalgic aura to it than the bombast of Rhapsody. You'd also be in for some more expressive guitarwork and a more noticeable and impressive rhythm section with some excellent bass playing. On those grounds, they're largely different. 
Interesting. Maybe I'll give them a chance after all.

I'll choose 1995 for my list. It wasn't a particularly memorable year for metal if compared to the early '90s, especially for the more extreme subgenres... still plenty of good releases though.

1) Dissection - Storm of The Light's Bane 

2) Suffocation - Pierced From Within

3) Ulver - Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler

4) Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters

5) Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

6) Order From Chaos - Dawnbringer

7) Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

8) Molested - Blood Draum

9) Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

10) Crowbar - Time Heals Nothing

^ I'm sure mine for '95 would look a bit different, but I can't argue with any of those choices.

^ I'm sure mine for '95 would look a bit different, but I can't argue with any of those choices.

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I know you are pretty big on Corrupted, should have included them too

I know you are pretty big on Corrupted, should have included them too
They only had an EP out at that point, but Llenandose de Gusanos would probably be on my list for 1999. I don't remember what all was on my 1995 list here TBH. It's been a few years since I did them, and I'm sure that they're due for an update.

OK, since I've since discovered that the 2017 thread was locked, I'm going to make a brief detour to my top ten for last year. 

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 2017

1. Bestial Invasion - Contra Omnes 

I was keeping a keen eye on this Ukrainian technical thrash act for a while after hearing their debut LP, Act of Retribution, in 2015. They had been quite developed for a band that was just starting out and frankly, I wanted to see how they'd expand on the sound of that album with their sophomore release. In short, they improved upon it immensely. Drawing from bands like Mekong Delta, Coroner and Helstar, these guys' brand of technical thrash contains labyrinthine application of neoclassical composition playing that bands like the aforementioned Mekong Delta experimented with on albums like The Music of Erich Zann and Dances of Death that is punctuated with some rather foreboding introductions. What is also rather interesting is the improvement of the instrumentation with all of the instruments being perfectly discernible and a more effective vocal performance that is a rather entertaining combination of Bruce Dickinson of Alan Tecchio. This is album of the year material for me.

2. Droid Terrestrial Mutations 

And then there was Droid, a progressive thrash outfit from Ontario, Canada. While these guys also fall into the prog/tech thrash vein as well, they take some rather interesting influence from Voivod (far more so than comparatively popular bands like Vektor) and bands like Obliveon and offer a more immersive and moody experience than the hyperactive virtuosity offered by bands like Bestial Invasion. Make no mistake, this band offers up some delightfully frenzied composition and performance at many points but they balance it out for the purpose of making their own spacier atmosphere. Great work and a conveniently interesting genre foil to the top pick on this list. 

3. Akercocke Renaissance in Extremis

This band requires comparatively little introduction. Frankly, I was somewhat disappointed by this band's lack of material in the years following what is arguably their best work, Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone with their 2007 release being good but certainly not reaching the the heights of their 2005 peak (and even their 2003 release, Choronzon). However, I think last year's release certainly does its hardest to at least match it, providing one of the best albums in their discography to date. It was surprising but nonetheless welcome.

4. Wampyrinacht We Will Be Watching...

The Hellenic black metal scene does it again. The structures and compositions offered by this band are ambitious and incredibly satisfying. From stunning guitarwork, great drumming and actual riffs, those involved in Wampyrinacht were not simply content to make Rotting Christ worship and instead made a substantive work with some ingenious integration of neoclassicism involved. This goes without mentioning the dark grandiosity of its atmosphere, the solid production and fantastic vocal performance. An exceptional release in a year that actually had a lot of good black metal albums. 

5. Lor In Forgotten Sleep 

A potent mixture of power, folk and progressive metal from these guys that was actually an astounding improvement from their demos that were released back in 2010 and 2012. Frankly, I had largely forgotten about these guys until I heard they were coming out with an album this year and I was not disappointed. Superb work and I hope I don't have to wait another half decade to get something else. I'd like to see some EPs soon. 

6. Crimson Dawn Chronicles of an Undead Hunter 

I heard these Italians' debut In Strange Aeons... back in 2014 and I liked it. However, this album proved to be better which I'm glad about. These guys' melding of traditional doom metal with elements of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple proves to be really compelling and makes them quite distinct. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did but they sure pulled through on this one. 

7. Locust Leaves A Subtler Kind of Light 

Locust Leaves are a pretty obscure Greek band as all they have done so far was a split with Spectral Lore and have only just released a full album last year. Similarly to Wampyrinacht, this has only four tracks but they are long with the shortest one being six minutes in length. However, they are another progressive metal band on the list and seem to be quite influenced by bands like Hammers of Misfortune. They integrate a lot of trad and thrash along with some slight black metal influence which makes the riffing quite varied. It's quite brief but I've discovered that it has quite a bit of staying power. 

8. Malokarpatan Nordkarpatenland 

This album was yet another improved sophomore release from Slovakian black/speed metallers, Malokarpatan, which actually manages to deftly integrate some folk in somewhat unique ways that I found gave the album a lot of atmospheric intricacy to back up a lot of the excellent riffing and melodies that were on it. Definitely an interesting release to spend time with during the last few months of the year. 

9. Vulture The Guillotine 

Forget Evil Invaders. If you want speed/thrash revival done right, this is the band you want. While it certainly doesn't hit the top of my list, it still manages to navigate previously tread ground in an exhilarating fashion with more varied instrumentation and use of keys, better composition and some awesome guitarwork. I'd recommend it. 

10. Lunar Shadow Far From Light

A pretty good traditional heavy metal album that manages its length quite well and generally combines influences from bands like Warlord and Angel Witch in a balanced fashion. While it could have used a little editing towards the end, it still turned out to be quite a great release. 

Good year. There are actually quite a few honorable mentions from this year as well. 

1 minute ago, Ekthelion said:

OK, since I've since discovered that the 2017 thread was locked, I'm going to make a brief detour to my top ten for last year. 

Ecthelion's Top Ten Metal Albums of 2017

1. Bestial Invasion - Contra Omnes 

I was keeping a keen eye on this Ukrainian technical thrash act for a while after hearing their debut LP, Act of Retribution, in 2015. They had been quite developed for a band that was just starting out and frankly, I wanted to see how they'd expand on the sound of that album with their sophomore release. In short, they improved upon it immensely. Drawing from bands like Mekong Delta, Coroner and Helstar, these guys' brand of technical thrash contains labyrinthine application of neoclassical composition playing that bands like the aforementioned Mekong Delta experimented with on albums like The Music of Erich Zann and Dances of Death that is punctuated with some rather foreboding introductions. What is also rather interesting is the improvement of the instrumentation with all of the instruments being perfectly discernible and a more effective vocal performance that is a rather entertaining combination of Bruce Dickinson of Alan Tecchio. This is album of the year material for me.

2. Droid Terrestrial Mutations 

And then there was Droid, a progressive thrash outfit from Ontario, Canada. While these guys also fall into the prog/tech thrash vein as well, they take some rather interesting influence from Voivod (far more so than comparatively popular bands like Vektor) and bands like Obliveon and offer a more immersive and moody experience than the hyperactive virtuosity offered by bands like Bestial Invasion. Make no mistake, this band offers up some delightfully frenzied composition and performance at many points but they balance it out for the purpose of making their own spacier atmosphere. Great work and a conveniently interesting genre foil to the top pick on this list. 

3. Akercocke Renaissance in Extremis

This band requires comparatively little introduction. Frankly, I was somewhat disappointed by this band's lack of material in the years following what is arguably their best work, Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone with their 2007 release being good but certainly not reaching the the heights of their 2005 peak (and even their 2003 release, Choronzon). However, I think last year's release certainly does its hardest to at least match it, providing one of the best albums in their discography to date. It was surprising but nonetheless welcome.

4. Wampyrinacht We Will Be Watching...

The Hellenic black metal scene does it again. The structures and compositions offered by this band are ambitious and incredibly satisfying. From stunning guitarwork, great drumming and actual riffs, those involved in Wampyrinacht were not simply content to make Rotting Christ worship and instead made a substantive work with some ingenious integration of neoclassicism involved. This goes without mentioning the dark grandiosity of its atmosphere, the solid production and fantastic vocal performance. An exceptional release in a year that actually had a lot of good black metal albums. 

5. Lor In Forgotten Sleep 

A potent mixture of power, folk and progressive metal from these guys that was actually an astounding improvement from their demos that were released back in 2010 and 2012. Frankly, I had largely forgotten about these guys until I heard they were coming out with an album this year and I was not disappointed. Superb work and I hope I don't have to wait another half decade to get something else. I'd like to see some EPs soon. 

6. Crimson Dawn Chronicles of an Undead Hunter 

I heard these Italians' debut In Strange Aeons... back in 2014 and I liked it. However, this album proved to be better which I'm glad about. These guys' melding of traditional doom metal with elements of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple proves to be really compelling and makes them quite distinct. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did but they sure pulled through on this one. 

7. Locust Leaves A Subtler Kind of Light 

Locust Leaves are a pretty obscure Greek band as all they have done so far was a split with Spectral Lore and have only just released a full album last year. Similarly to Wampyrinacht, this has only four tracks but they are long with the shortest one being six minutes in length. However, they are another progressive metal band on the list and seem to be quite influenced by bands like Hammers of Misfortune. They integrate a lot of trad and thrash along with some slight black metal influence which makes the riffing quite varied. It's quite brief but I've discovered that it has quite a bit of staying power. 

8. Malokarpatan Nordkarpatenland 

This album was yet another improved sophomore release from Czech black/speed metallers, Malokarpatan, which actually manages to deftly integrate some folk in somewhat unique ways that I found gave the album a lot of atmospheric intricacy to back up a lot of the excellent riffing and melodies that were on it. Definitely an interesting release to spend time with during the last few months of the year. 

9. Vulture The Guillotine 

Forget Evil Invaders. If you want speed/thrash revival done right, this is the band you want. While it certainly doesn't hit the top of my list, it still manages to navigate previously tread ground in an exhilarating fashion with more varied instrumentation and use of keys, better composition and some awesome guitarwork. I'd recommend it. 

10. Lunar Shadow Far From Light

A pretty good traditional heavy metal album that manages its length quite well and generally combines influences from bands like Warlord and Angel Witch in a balanced fashion. While it could have used a little editing towards the end, it still turned out to be quite a great release. 

Good year. There are actually quite a few honorable mentions from this year as well. 

Neat. I really enjoy that Droid album, although I didn't discover it until earlier this year, great combination of balls and brains on that recording. Akercocke's "Renaissance In Extremis" was my favorite album of the year. I didn't get into Malokarpatan, though, something about the heavy metal influence turned me off. I've only heard a couple of the others in passing, and I'm totally unfamiliar with several of them; all of a sudden I'm gravitating more towards stuff with melodic vocals, so I'll be interested to check them out.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Neat. I really enjoy that Droid album, although I didn't discover it until earlier this year, great combination of balls and brains on that recording. Akercocke's "Renaissance In Extremis" was my favorite album of the year. I didn't get into Malokarpatan, though, something about the heavy metal influence turned me off. I've only heard a couple of the others in passing, and I'm totally unfamiliar with several of them; all of a sudden I'm gravitating more towards stuff with melodic vocals, so I'll be interested to check them out.

That Wampyrinacht is pretty sweet so I'd recommend that if you haven't heard it. 

A quick look at my RYM page reveals that I have a grand total of 6 albums from 2017. I'm terrible at keeping up with new releases, but I'm sure that at least a couple of those releases would be on my list of it was more filled out. Those would be Antichrist's Sinful Birth, Afterbirth's The Time Traveller's Dilemma, and Enslaved's E.

23 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

A quick look at my RYM page reveals that I have a grand total of 6 albums from 2017. I'm terrible at keeping up with new releases, but I'm sure that at least a couple of those releases would be on my list of it was more filled out. Those would be Antichrist's Sinful Birth, Afterbirth's The Time Traveller's Dilemma, and Enslaved's E.

The Time Traveller's Dilemma is on my list, and E definitely belongs there as well - the more I listen to it the more I like it. The other ones from my list that I think you'd really like are the Suffering Hour and Cavernlight albums that I've already mentioned; you might also dig Sutrah's "Dunes", it may be a little new-school for you but they have something cool going on. Canadian tech death with a good ear for melody and strong riffing skills. Also try Fen and Dodecahedron if you haven't heard them.