Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

With this thread back up and running I've updated the old Excel doc cataloguing my collection. Might have a crack tomorrow if I get the time. The two things I'll say though are as always only albums I actually own and I won't do any years for which I have 10 or fewer albums.

It has been 4 or 5 years since I did mine, and I'm sure that they could use some updates. It was always a fun project, and I'm sure that some years won't change much, but others would a lot.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1990 

1. Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace

A prog metal debut that is rougher and thrashier than their later work but no less cerebral and unorthodox. Not to mention extremely well-written. 

2. Artillery - By Inheritance

As much as I like their previous albums, there is no denying the vast improvement that this album had in the way of songwriting. Among the greats of tech-thrash and will have you coming back again and again. 

3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace 

My favorite from this band along with Peace Sells...and Who's Buying?. Legendary. 

4. Death - Spiritual Healing 

A fantastic blend of old '80s Death and their later sound throughout the '90s. A sadly neglected installment in Death's discography, from what I see. 

5. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death 

Varied, intense and very well-structured. It is a sad state of affairs that this band didn't release more material during the '90s. 

6. Trouble - S/T

Trouble's turn to classic heavy metal, while seeming redundant at first, yielded one of the best albums in their entire discography. A truly evocative work from a band that could have very well rested on their laurels but went on to further solidify their excellence with this wonderful release. 

7. Sadus - Swallowed in Black 

Seminal death/thrash that combines technicality and atmosphere like no other. 

8. Forbidden - Twisted into Form 

Among Bay Area thrash's best works. A sophisticated, ominous and superbly-written improvement on the already great Forbidden Evil

9. Bathory - Hammerheart 

One of the most atmospheric and immersive epics of the entire metal genre. A true sign of Quorthon's songwriting ability. 

10. Thanatos - Emerging From the Netherworlds 

Another superb death/thrash release from the Netherlands which offers an incredible amount of depth and epic riffs. This album doesn't get anywhere near the amount of recognition it deserves. 

Goddamn, guys. This year is like: 

1s1vyw.jpg

Artillery, Bathory, Morbid Saint, Trouble, Sadus? Yeah boy!

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1984

1. Trouble - Psalm 9

This is among the heaviest traditional doom albums ever released. The tone is crushing, the riffs are outstanding, the vocals add a gritty edge to everything. Who cares about the lyrical content with music this good?

2. Bathory - Bathory

Evil sounding vocals, menacing atmosphere, and riffs for days. A formidable debut from this legendary band

3. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

Riffs for days, powerful if not the most technically impressive vocals, quality songwriting. A heavy metal classic.

4. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

After the somewhat lacklustre Piece Of Mind Maiden were back at their best here. Melody, energy, powerful vocals, catchy choruses, and an epic finale what more could you ask for?

5. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

Another strong return to form this time from the metal gods. Halford's incredible vocals are on full display. The songwriting is vastly improved from British Steel and the classic Priest energy is back. Easily their best eighties album.

6. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath

Those insane counter-tenor vocals, the outstanding melodic sensibilities, and quality songwriting. This album is no slouch that's for sure.

7. Queensryche - The Warning

Their first full length album was a home run. Tate's vocals were fantastic here. The songwriting started down the now familiar prog metal path but retained those heavy metal roots. Lots to like here.

8. Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory.

The debut from these metal pirates is actually my favourite album by them. It has the same songwriting tropes, vocals, and quality guitar work of subsequent albums. It also has a subtle black metal vibe at times which no other album these guys have produced is as up front with.

9. Omen - Battle Cry

Great riffs, melodic hooks, a subtle note of thrash throughout. This album is quality.

10. Metallica - Ride The Lightning

Easily their best album. The songwriting is improved, the aggression is ramped up. Filler is at a minimal. Just try not banging your head along to this one.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1984

1. Trouble - Psalm 9

This is among the heaviest traditional doom albums ever released. The tone is crushing, the riffs are outstanding, the vocals add a gritty edge to everything. Who cares about the lyrical content with music this good?

2. Bathory - Bathory

Evil sounding vocals, menacing atmosphere, and riffs for days. A formidable debut from this legendary band

3. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

Riffs for days, powerful if not the most technically impressive vocals, quality songwriting. A heavy metal classic.

4. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

After the somewhat lacklustre Piece Of Mind Maiden were back at their best here. Melody, energy, powerful vocals, catchy choruses, and an epic finale what more could you ask for?

5. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

Another strong return to form this time from the metal gods. Halford's incredible vocals are on full display. The songwriting is vastly improved from British Steel and the classic Priest energy is back. Easily their best eighties album.

6. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath

Those insane counter-tenor vocals, the outstanding melodic sensibilities, and quality songwriting. This album is no slouch that's for sure.

7. Queensryche - The Warning

Their first full length album was a home run. Tate's vocals were fantastic here. The songwriting started down the now familiar prog metal path but retained those heavy metal roots. Lots to like here.

8. Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory.

The debut from these metal pirates is actually my favourite album by them. It has the same songwriting tropes, vocals, and quality guitar work of subsequent albums. It also has a subtle black metal vibe at times which no other album these guys have produced is as up front with.

9. Omen - Battle Cry

Great riffs, melodic hooks, a subtle note of thrash throughout. This album is quality.

10. Metallica - Ride The Lightning

Easily their best album. The songwriting is improved, the aggression is ramped up. Filler is at a minimal. Just try not banging your head along to this one.

Another list that I can't argue with, even if my choices were different. Nice.

As it turns out I wasn't at all satisfied with my '85 or '86 lists. Not fully satisfied with this one either honestly.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1987

1. Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

This is a black metal classic. It simply speaks for itself.

2. Candlemass - Nightfall

Everything about this album is perfect. The riffs are crushingly heavy. The composition is epic and the vocals perfectly suit that style. Truly a doom metal masterpiece.

3. Pentagram - Day Of Reckoning

This is another doom classic. It's heavy, the vocals are on point, so much to like about this release from an under-rated band.

4. Running Wild - Branded & Exiled

No second album blues for these guys. An impressive album furthering the sound they displayed on their debut. Top notch heavy/power metal.

5. Sepultua - Schizophrenia

The Brazilian thrashers really nailed this one. The songwriting is more consistent. The riffs are relentless and there's no letup. A classic without doubt.

6. Sanctuay - Refuge Denied

What a debut. The vocals are incredible, the riffs memorable, songwriting impressive. Nothing not to like about this album.

7. Sodom - Persecution Mania

This album is so much fun. The riffs are great, the energy is fantastic, this is exactly what thrash should be.

8. Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King

I don't really know how to sum this one up. There are incredible riffs. Plenty of energy. Memorable songs abound. A very good album.

9. D.R.I - Crossover

Crossover thrash doesn't come much better then this. Punk energy, thrash riffs, and plenty of attitude. A very fun listen.

10. Testament - The Legacy

Melodic riffs, well performed vocals, this is lots of fun. These songs will get stuck in you head and sometimes it feels like a thash singalong.

57 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

6. Sanctuay - Refuge Denied

What a debut. The vocals are incredible, the riffs memorable, songwriting impressive. Nothing not to like about this album.

Your list is great but when it comes to this album, I actually am beginning to prefer the Inception compilation to it. It just sounds like a better version of this album that has more bite to it. 

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1991 

1. Last Crack - Burning Time 

An intensely unique progressive metal release that focuses less on technicality and more on composition and tone resulting in a varied and expertly done effort that melds many different styles into a surprisingly cohesive metal album. A sadly underappreciated release like a couple more albums that will end up on this list. 

2. Anacrusis - Manic Impressions 

A relieving rebound from the somewhat lackluster Reason and a fantastic prog thrash release. An impressive evolution of the sound they had on Suffering Hour and arguably their peak. A true highlight of the genre. 

3. Heaven's Gate - Livin' in Hysteria 

Way back when, I had decided to make an impulse release based on cover art and not through word of mouth. Taking a chance on personal discovery. So, I chose this one when I saw it was a power metal release and it was fantastic. This release is definitely not as abstract or complex as some of the other inclusions, sure, but this album is genuinely fantastic power metal that builds upon the genre's progenitors like Iron Maiden and does it wonderfully. Unbelievably underrated and yet another victim to incompetent marketing which makes it not be regarded as the classic it should be.  

4. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence 

An exhilirating and bold amalgam of progressive rock, jazz-fusion and death metal that makes one of the most daring releases of the decade. However, it is rather astonishingly brief given its 32-minute runtime and within that time, some of the most unapologetically complex, famously unorthodox and brilliant material in the genre ensues. An absolute gem whose influence is still felt to this day. 

5. Death - Human 

On another tremendously influential note, the betrayed Chuck Schuldiner, Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal of Cynic fame team up with Steve DiGeorgio to deliver one of the best death metal releases of the decade. The songwriting ability and progressive structures hinted at in Spiritual Healing emerge in full force with the support of some of the best talent in the genre at the time, Evil Chuck included. A bonafide classic that I unfortunately had to knock down a couple places due to the bass being somewhat buried in the mix. 

6. Coroner - Mental Vortex

These guys, whilst being technical yet intensely well-versed in composition by this time, realized that it may have been prudent to release a more stripped down album after the tour de force that was No More Color. While not exactly my favorite album in the genre, it is still a captivating release that shows just how versatile these gifted gentlemen were. I wouldn't blame anyone for having this album higher than it is here. 

7. Overkill - Horrorscope 

These thrash luminaries strip back the more humorous undertones of their previous releases in order to create one of the strongest releases in their entire goddamn discography. A sinister, crushing and technical masterwork that shows that this is not a band to be underestimated. 

8. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious

You know, I respect and enjoyed Symphonies of Sickness but I never really liked it enough to say that it belonged in my top ten for 1989. As for this album...holy crap...it is excellent. An energetic and vital melding of both grindcore and melodic death metal that creates the perfect combination of melody and epic heaviness. Honestly, in my opinion, this album makes their later work look pedestrian by comparison.  A visceral and rewarding gem that allows me, with the utmost pleasure, to have been putting it in my top ten in this year for a while now. 

9. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick

An improvement upon the influential Altars of Madness and well-deserving of praise. Not a whole lot I can say about it besides that though. Awesome stuff. 

10. Solitude Aeturus - Into the Depths of Sorrow 

This band's melding of power metal and doom metal makes them among my favorites but I was seriously considering putting it in my honorable mentions rather than the top ten given the reviewing nature of lists like this but after listening to it yet again, it still holds up and is a journey worth taking with veritably enrapturing tracks like Opaque Divinity, Dreams of Immortality, White Ship, Transcending Sentinels and especially Mirror of Sorrow. A extraordinarily well-made doom metal debut that would give way to an even better (and arguably their best) album. 

Well, there you have it.

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1991 

1. Last Crack - Burning Time 

An intensely unique progressive metal release that focuses less on technicality and more on composition and tone resulting in a varied and expertly done effort that melds many different styles into a surprisingly cohesive metal album. A sadly underappreciated release like a couple more albums that will end up on this list. 

2. Anacrusis - Manic Impressions 

A relieving rebound from the somewhat lackluster Reason and a fantastic prog thrash release. An impressive evolution of the sound they had on Suffering Hour and arguably their peak. A true highlight of the genre. 

3. Heaven's Gate - Livin' in Hysteria 

Way back when, I had decided to make an impulse release based on cover art and not through word of mouth. Taking a chance on personal discovery. So, I chose this one when I saw it was a power metal release and it was fantastic. This release is definitely not as abstract or complex as some of the other inclusions, sure, but this album is genuinely fantastic power metal that builds upon the genre's progenitors like Iron Maiden and does it wonderfully. Unbelievably underrated and yet another victim to incompetent marketing which makes it not be regarded as the classic it should be.  

4. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence 

An exhilirating and bold amalgam of progressive rock, jazz-fusion and death metal that makes one of the most daring releases of the decade. However, it is rather astonishingly brief given its 32-minute runtime and within that time, some of the most unapologetically complex, famously unorthodox and brilliant material in the genre ensues. An absolute gem whose influence is still felt to this day. 

5. Death - Human 

On another tremendously influential note, the betrayed Chuck Schuldiner, Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal of Cynic fame team up with Steve DiGeorgio to deliver one of the best death metal releases of the decade. The songwriting ability and progressive structures hinted at in Spiritual Healing emerge in full force with the support of some of the best talent in the genre at the time, Evil Chuck included. A bonafide classic that I unfortunately had to knock down a couple places due to the bass being somewhat buried in the mix. 

6. Coroner - Mental Vortex

These guys, whilst being technical yet intensely well-versed in composition by this time, realized that it may have been prudent to release a more stripped down album after the tour de force that was No More Color. While not exactly my favorite album in the genre, it is still a captivating release that shows just how versatile these gifted gentlemen were. I wouldn't blame anyone for having this album higher than it is here. 

7. Overkill - Horrorscope 

These thrash luminaries strip back the more humorous undertones of their previous releases in order to create one of the strongest releases in their entire goddamn discography. A sinister, crushing and technical masterwork that shows that this is not a band to be underestimated. 

8. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious

You know, I respect and enjoyed Symphonies of Sickness but I never really liked it enough to say that it belonged in my top ten for 1989. As for this album...holy crap...it is excellent. An energetic and vital melding of both grindcore and melodic death metal that creates the perfect combination of melody and epic heaviness. Honestly, in my opinion, this album makes their later work look pedestrian by comparison.  A visceral and rewarding gem that allows me, with the utmost pleasure, to have been putting it in my top ten in this year for a while now. 

9. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick

An improvement upon the influential Altars of Madness and well-deserving of praise. Not a whole lot I can say about it besides that though. Awesome stuff. 

10. Solitude Aeturus - Into the Depths of Sorrow 

This band's melding of power metal and doom metal makes them among my favorites but I was seriously considering putting it in my honorable mentions rather than the top ten given the reviewing nature of lists like this but after listening to it yet again, it still holds up and is a journey worth taking with veritably enrapturing tracks like Opaque Divinity, Dreams of Immortality, White Ship, Transcending Sentinels and especially Mirror of Sorrow. A extraordinarily well-made doom metal debut that would give way to an even better (and arguably their best) album. 

Well, there you have it.

My lists were focusing much more on death, black, and extreme doom metal by this time, and while I'm not familiar with some of these choices, I'm surprised to see others. I'm happily surprised to see Overkill, Horrorscope doesn't get the praise it deserves, but a bit befuddled by the awkward Manic Impressions. It's alright, but still often falls flat like Reason, whereas Screams and Whispers was a great deal more compelling. Nice to see these either way.

9 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

My lists were focusing much more on death, black, and extreme doom metal by this time, and while I'm not familiar with some of these choices, I'm surprised to see others.

I thought I would be by this time as well, but I went back to some albums I hadn't listened to some material like Heaven's Gate's and Last Crack's albums only to realize that those albums were great. 

FA's 1995 Top Ten

What a year to rate. So many great albums that had a huge influence on my own development as a musician; most of these are old friends. I may have missed several, lists like this don't form themselves in my head with any ease. If I had to pick a year for Requiem's "favorite year" thread, it would likely be 1995. (These aren't ranked or in any particular order.)

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve: still my favorite statement from this unique and influential band, with varied textures and careful songwriting that's miles ahead of their debut. They would go on to become more intense and technically accomplished, but also more homogenized; this album pulled very different threads together with a focus they'd never quite match again.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within: I've gushed about this album in other lists. Still my favorite Suffo, and a personal gold standard for hard-hitting brutal/tech DM from before the modern iterations of the genre. Musically engaging and sonically crushing.

Opeth - Orchid: the sound of a young band with lots of ideas and energy. Disparate parts articulate awkwardly here, more of a patchwork quilt than a tapestry, but the overall vibe remains cohesive - momentous dynamic shifts, graceful melodies, passionately aggressive vocals, and plenty of creative weirdness. I've found the learning curve rewarding. Sometimes I go for years without listening to it, but this album has kept recapturing my interest over more than two decades.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery: the crown jewel of Gothenburg melodic death metal in my opinion, along with ATG's debut. Great sound, awesome riffs, and ripping vocals. This album isn't flawless - the clean vocals in particular really suck IMO - but this is another album with a unique sense of melody, and a willingness to explore each song for its own worth, a quality that I sorely miss in their later material.

Death - Symbolic: maybe the most "accessible" of their albums, and not as aggressive as their earlier stuff, this is still a prog-death masterpiece full of memorable songs with kickass riffs and excellent musicianship. The second Death album to really click for me, and an essential part of their story.

Ulver - Bergtatt: what can I say about this album that hasn't already been said in other lists? Riffs, atmosphere, trees and mountains and wolves and stuff... But for all that, this album is made by the vocals. Haunting, sparse melodies that recall ancient chapels and moonlit campfires, alternating with an incredibly caustic black metal scream that remains one of my favorite harsh vocal sounds to this day.

Naglfar - Vittra: the only Naglfar album I like. If I have a bone to pick with this album, it's that every song is pretty much based on the same chord progression. Nevertheless, it exemplifies a lot of what I love about melodic black metal, with consistent atmosphere, thoughtful melodies, and yet another classic vocal performance. It was hugely influential to me as a teenager and I've recently grown to love it all over again. 

My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River: while I miss Aaron's inimitable death growl on this album, it's one of his better clean vocal outings - dark, rich, and emotive. Classic MDB riffs, tasty violin lines, and some truly beautiful sections in characteristically drawn-out, abstract songs. This one drags when I'm not in the mood, but when I am, it's perfect.

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross: at one point my favorite Deicide album, and among my favorite death metal albums, this one brought home DM's potential for truly frightening impact on my teenage brain. These days I find it a little stale, and prefer the chaos of Legion, but there's no denying the power in Benton's voice here, or the infectious nature of some of the classic tracks.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture: grandfathered in for its massive importance to me when I was younger. I have several criticisms of this album, and I probably listen to it once every three years anymore, but why focus on the negative? Nothing will take away my memories of countless repeats on car trips or lonely evenings, when it seemed like the perfect combination of polished songwriting and youthful rebellion. This album primed me to enjoy the combination of harsh and clean vocals that features prominently on many of my favorite recordings, and in that way it helped lay the groundwork for my own interest in songwriting. 

____

Honorable mentions: 

Sinister - Hate: my favorite Sinister, they weren't a huge influence on me but I dig the shit out of this album.

Anathema - The Silent Enigma: hated to bump this one down, but truth be told I haven't listened to it all the way through in years. Still a beautiful, haunting death-doom masterpiece, Anathema's best album and their last good one IMO.

The Abyss - The Other Side: actually my introduction to black metal, when I heard "Marutukku" as a promo track on a sampler. Appropriately evil-sounding, with some really cool moments here and there. Not mind-blowing, but still fun when I put it on.

Disaffected - Vast: very interesting prog death, this one's right up my alley lately. Give it more time to grow on me and it may change places with something in the top ten.

Infernal Torment - Man's True Nature: another somewhat recent discovery for me, this album goes hard. Brutal, somewhat raw DM with goddamn angry vocals.

Septic Flesh - Esoptron: not quite the atmosphere that they nailed on the debut, but this combination of doomy, symphonic DM and goth rock is still unique and enjoyable.

Rammstein - Herzeleid: almost a top ten contender. I have to admit that I love these guys, as formulaic and shallow as they are, and although it's been a couple years since I really hammered on them, this album has gotten a ton of play throughout the years. Till's voice is one of my favorites. Doesn't hurt that my son likes them a lot.

Unanimated - Ancient God Of Evil: predictable, and firmly within the bounds of "Swedish melodic DM", this was still a fun and mature step up from the previous album, without the spirit of exploration that characterizes my favorites of this scene, but also without the missteps and shark-jumping that would kill it for me within a few short years.

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence: what an idiosyncratic and catchy album. This is another one that may work its way into the top ten someday.

Hieronymus Bosch - The Human Abstract: another hidden gem of entertaining prog death, which I'm only getting into somewhat recently.

Alice In Chains - s/t: maybe a step down from the brilliance of Dirt, with a bit too much self-indulgent dead weight, but still has some real standouts, and it's Layne's second to last recording with them, his final appearance being the harrowingly inconsistent but genuine MTV Unplugged recording.

Swans - The Great Annihilator: not in my top ten here because it's not metal. One of Swans' more sonically consistent and approachable releases. Some beautiful sounds from the tail end of their "goth" phase, with chill songs like Killing For Company sharing space with the insistent energy of I Am The Sun and Mind/Body/Light/Sound. I miss the anger of their earliest material and the gorgeous peaks of the best songs on their early 90s albums, but this one has a ton of replay value.

6 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

FA's 1995 Top Ten

What a year to rate. So many great albums that had a huge influence on my own development as a musician; most of these are old friends. I may have missed several, lists like this don't form themselves in my head with any ease. If I had to pick a year for Requiem's "favorite year" thread, it would likely be 1995. (These aren't ranked or in any particular order.)

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve: still my favorite statement from this unique and influential band, with varied textures and careful songwriting that's miles ahead of their debut. They would go on to become more intense and technically accomplished, but also more homogenized; this album pulled very different threads together with a focus they'd never quite match again.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within: I've gushed about this album in other lists. Still my favorite Suffo, and a personal gold standard for hard-hitting brutal/tech DM from before the modern iterations of the genre. Musically engaging and sonically crushing.

Opeth - Orchid: the sound of a young band with lots of ideas and energy. Disparate parts articulate awkwardly here, more of a patchwork quilt than a tapestry, but the overall vibe remains cohesive - momentous dynamic shifts, graceful melodies, passionately aggressive vocals, and plenty of creative weirdness. I've found the learning curve rewarding. Sometimes I go for years without listening to it, but this album has kept recapturing my interest over more than two decades.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery: the crown jewel of Gothenburg melodic death metal in my opinion, along with ATG's debut. Great sound, awesome riffs, and ripping vocals. This album isn't flawless - the clean vocals in particular really suck IMO - but this is another album with a unique sense of melody, and a willingness to explore each song for its own worth, a quality that I sorely miss in their later material.

Death - Symbolic: maybe the most "accessible" of their albums, and not as aggressive as their earlier stuff, this is still a prog-death masterpiece full of memorable songs with kickass riffs and excellent musicianship. The second Death album to really click for me, and an essential part of their story.

Ulver - Bergtatt: what can I say about this album that hasn't already been said in other lists? Riffs, atmosphere, trees and mountains and wolves and stuff... But for all that, this album is made by the vocals. Haunting, sparse melodies that recall ancient chapels and moonlit campfires, alternating with an incredibly caustic black metal scream that remains one of my favorite harsh vocal sounds to this day.

Naglfar - Vittra: the only Naglfar album I like. If I have a bone to pick with this album, it's that every song is pretty much based on the same chord progression. Nevertheless, it exemplifies a lot of what I love about melodic black metal, with consistent atmosphere, thoughtful melodies, and yet another classic vocal performance. It was hugely influential to me as a teenager and I've recently grown to love it all over again. 

My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River: while I miss Aaron's inimitable death growl on this album, it's one of his better clean vocal outings - dark, rich, and emotive. Classic MDB riffs, tasty violin lines, and some truly beautiful sections in characteristically drawn-out, abstract songs. This one drags when I'm not in the mood, but when I am, it's perfect.

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross: at one point my favorite Deicide album, and among my favorite death metal albums, this one brought home DM's potential for truly frightening impact on my teenage brain. These days I find it a little stale, and prefer the chaos of Legion, but there's no denying the power in Benton's voice here, or the infectious nature of some of the classic tracks.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture: grandfathered in for its massive importance to me when I was younger. I have several criticisms of this album, and I probably listen to it once every three years anymore, but why focus on the negative? Nothing will take away my memories of countless repeats on car trips or lonely evenings, when it seemed like the perfect combination of polished songwriting and youthful rebellion. This album primed me to enjoy the combination of harsh and clean vocals that features prominently on many of my favorite recordings, and in that way it helped lay the groundwork for my own interest in songwriting. 

____

Honorable mentions: 

Sinister - Hate: my favorite Sinister, they weren't a huge influence on me but I dig the shit out of this album.

Anathema - The Silent Enigma: hated to bump this one down, but truth be told I haven't listened to it all the way through in years. Still a beautiful, haunting death-doom masterpiece, Anathema's best album and their last good one IMO.

The Abyss - The Other Side: actually my introduction to black metal, when I heard "Marutukku" as a promo track on a sampler. Appropriately evil-sounding, with some really cool moments here and there. Not mind-blowing, but still fun when I put it on.

Disaffected - Vast: very interesting prog death, this one's right up my alley lately. Give it more time to grow on me and it may change places with something in the top ten.

Infernal Torment - Man's True Nature: another somewhat recent discovery for me, this album goes hard. Brutal, somewhat raw DM with goddamn angry vocals.

Septic Flesh - Esoptron: not quite the atmosphere that they nailed on the debut, but this combination of doomy, symphonic DM and goth rock is still unique and enjoyable.

Rammstein - Herzeleid: almost a top ten contender. I have to admit that I love these guys, as formulaic and shallow as they are, and although it's been a couple years since I really hammered on them, this album has gotten a ton of play throughout the years. Till's voice is one of my favorites. Doesn't hurt that my son likes them a lot.

Unanimated - Ancient God Of Evil: predictable, and firmly within the bounds of "Swedish melodic DM", this was still a fun and mature step up from the previous album, without the spirit of exploration that characterizes my favorites of this scene, but also without the missteps and shark-jumping that would kill it for me within a few short years.

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence: what an idiosyncratic and catchy album. This is another one that may work its way into the top ten someday.

Hieronymus Bosch - The Human Abstract: another hidden gem of entertaining prog death, which I'm only getting into somewhat recently.

Alice In Chains - s/t: maybe a step down from the brilliance of Dirt, with a bit too much self-indulgent dead weight, but still has some real standouts, and it's Layne's second to last recording with them, his final appearance being the harrowingly inconsistent but genuine MTV Unplugged recording.

Swans - The Great Annihilator: not in my top ten here because it's not metal. One of Swans' more sonically consistent and approachable releases. Some beautiful sounds from the tail end of their "goth" phase, with chill songs like Killing For Company sharing space with the insistent energy of I Am The Sun and Mind/Body/Light/Sound. I miss the anger of their earliest material and the gorgeous peaks of the best songs on their early 90s albums, but this one has a ton of replay value.

Cool list and a nice mix of genres etc. It's very cheeky including so many honourable mentions though - part of the pleasure of these lists is the pain of leaving things out! Also, you dodge ranking them which is again cheeky. You've basically given us a list of 22 albums you like from 1995 - with no rank! 

I really loved 'Demanufacture' as a 15 year old too. It was so far ahead of its time (at least in my humble corner of the world in 1995). Also the Septic Flesh inclusion in your Honourables is awesome. I shed a tear that you left Anathema out of your main ten (then you kicked me while I was down by indirectly disparaging their next few releases ;) ). Opeth, Ulver, MDB and Dark Tranquillitiy cheered me up again. Good stuff. 

28 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Cool list and a nice mix of genres etc. It's very cheeky including so many honourable mentions though - part of the pleasure of these lists is the pain of leaving things out! Also, you dodge ranking them which is again cheeky. You've basically given us a list of 22 albums you like from 1995 - with no rank! 

I really loved 'Demanufacture' as a 15 year old too. It was so far ahead of its time (at least in my humble corner of the world in 1995). Also the Septic Flesh inclusion in your Honourables is awesome. I shed a tear that you left Anathema out of your main ten (then you kicked me while I was down by indirectly disparaging their next few releases ;) ). Opeth, Ulver, MDB and Dark Tranquillitiy cheered me up again. Good stuff. 

I could directly disparage those Anathema albums if you'd prefer! :D It was even money whether or not Silent Enigma would "make the top ten", and I guess it lost out because the others either had more of an effect on me growing up, or are more relevant to me now.

As far as ranking goes, aside from a couple of absolute favorites, it's a pointless exercise for me. Too mutable and arbitrary. Even doing a top ten is kind of a stretch for me. Doing the little write-ups takes me forever, mostly from trying to boil things down and not use the same adjectives over and over... I suppose my honorable mentions could have gone into a post in your "favorite year in metal" thread, but what can I say, 1995 was too good to sell short.

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I could directly disparage those Anathema albums if you'd prefer! :D It was even money whether or not Silent Enigma would "make the top ten", and I guess it lost out because the others either had more of an effect on me growing up, or are more relevant to me now.

As far as ranking goes, aside from a couple of absolute favorites, it's a pointless exercise for me. Too mutable and arbitrary. Even doing a top ten is kind of a stretch for me. Doing the little write-ups takes me forever, mostly from trying to boil things down and not use the same adjectives over and over... I suppose my honorable mentions could have gone into a post in your "favorite year in metal" thread, but what can I say, 1995 was too good to sell short.

Requiem's Top 5 Points from FatherAlabaster's Post

5. Anathema comment

The threat of direct disparagement is concerning and comes in at last place for me. 'Alternative 4' and 'Eternity' are two or my favourite albums, and words hurt. 

4. Silent Enigma comment

While I really like the comment being made about the album's quality, the sentiment that it doesn't make the top ten remains one of my least favourite parts of this post. Points for the reference to 'growing up', as I recognise how impacting this is to my own musical tastes. 

3. Doing write-ups comment

This amused me and I thought it was a cool comment. I pictured the author sitting there, brows furrowed, masticating over vocabulary choices. 

2. Difficulty of ranking comment

This is a compelling point, and one with which I can empathise. Despite my ubiquitous lists, I do sometimes find the actual ranking a little arbitrary and likely to change without notice. 

1. 1995 too good to sell short comment

A great comment that I agree with completely. It's well considered, tasteful, and is something I'm likely to come back to in years to come. Comment of the post. 

Honourable mention: The high standard of grammar and expression in general. 

16 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Requiem's Top 5 Points from FatherAlabaster's Post

5. Anathema comment

The threat of direct disparagement is concerning and comes in at last place for me. 'Alternative 4' and 'Eternity' are two or my favourite albums, and words hurt. 

4. Silent Enigma comment

While I really like the comment being made about the album's quality, the sentiment that it doesn't make the top ten remains one of my least favourite parts of this post. Points for the reference to 'growing up', as I recognise how impacting this is to my own musical tastes. 

3. Doing write-ups comment

This amused me and I thought it was a cool comment. I pictured the author sitting there, brows furrowed, masticating over vocabulary choices. 

2. Difficulty of ranking comment

This is a compelling point, and one with which I can empathise. Despite my ubiquitous lists, I do sometimes find the actual ranking a little arbitrary and likely to change without notice. 

1. 1995 too good to sell short comment

A great comment that I agree with completely. It's well considered, tasteful, and is something I'm likely to come back to in years to come. Comment of the post. 

Honourable mention: The high standard of grammar and expression in general. 

Hilariously recursive metacriticism. An intelligent and amusing post idea with a nice blend of self-deprecation and gentle critique, obviously designed to further rather than silence conversation. I'm not sure where I'd put this on a ranked list of Requiem's top posts, but on its own merit I'd give this post at least an 8.7.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1988

1. Bathoy - Blood Fire Death

This album showed real growth for Bathory. The trademark black metal sound is still on full display but their songwriting began taking on the more epic approach typical of their viking metal releases. This is another masterpiece from Quorthon and co.

2. Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death

Holy shit what an album. The riffs are savage and brilliant, the vocals nasty, if you want to start a mosh in your backyard this is the album to do it.

3. Tormentor - Anno Domini

First wave black metal doesn't get much better then this. It sounds positively vile. They certainly live up to the name Tormentor on this one.

4. Coroner - Punishment For Decadence

Technical, progressively minded, and vicious. This is a thrash masterpiece.

5. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

To not know about this one you must have lived in a cave under some giant rock. I won't harp on about it this is close to the perfect concept album.

6. Crimson Glory - Transcendence

What a second album. Their debut was good prog/power but this is on another level. The songwriting is better, vocals more consistent, and overall this is just so much fun.

7. Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park

This is easily the best album Death Angel have made. It's zany fun thrash with great riffs backing up the slight weirdness.

8. Destruction - Release From Agony

The German thrashers nailed this one. Great riffs, nasty vocals, and a tinge of the old black metal sound still remained here.

9. Holy Terror - Mind Wars

Speed metal at its finest. Top shelf riffs played flat out with a dash of melody and a touch of thrash about everything.

10. Hobbs' Angel Of Death - Hobbs' Angel Of Death

The debut album from these Aussie thrashers is to my knowledge their only full length. It's groovy mid-tempo thrash with some killer riffs and raw vocals. They're sort of like a nastier Overkill and it's awesome.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1988

1. Bathoy - Blood Fire Death

This album showed real growth for Bathory. The trademark black metal sound is still on full display but their songwriting began taking on the more epic approach typical of their viking metal releases. This is another masterpiece from Quorthon and co.

2. Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death

Holy shit what an album. The riffs are savage and brilliant, the vocals nasty, if you want to start a mosh in your backyard this is the album to do it.

3. Tormentor - Anno Domini

First wave black metal doesn't get much better then this. It sounds positively vile. They certainly live up to the name Tormentor on this one.

4. Coroner - Punishment For Decadence

Technical, progressively minded, and vicious. This is a thrash masterpiece.

5. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

To not know about this one you must have lived in a cave under some giant rock. I won't harp on about it this is close to the perfect concept album.

6. Crimson Glory - Transcendence

What a second album. Their debut was good prog/power but this is on another level. The songwriting is better, vocals more consistent, and overall this is just so much fun.

7. Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park

This is easily the best album Death Angel have made. It's zany fun thrash with great riffs backing up the slight weirdness.

8. Destruction - Release From Agony

The German thrashers nailed this one. Great riffs, nasty vocals, and a tinge of the old black metal sound still remained here.

9. Holy Terror - Mind Wars

Speed metal at its finest. Top shelf riffs played flat out with a dash of melody and a touch of thrash about everything.

10. Hobbs' Angel Of Death - Hobbs' Angel Of Death

The debut album from these Aussie thrashers is to my knowledge their only full length. It's groovy mid-tempo thrash with some killer riffs and raw vocals. They're sort of like a nastier Overkill and it's awesome.

Damn, what a list! 88 was probably the best year for metal overall, there was just too much good happening to contain in one list.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Damn, what a list! 88 was probably the best year for metal overall, there was just too much good happening to contain in one list.

There were some incredible albums that just missed out as well. I own about 30 albums from '88 and honestly it took over an hour for me to cut that list to 20, twice that to make a top 10.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

There were some incredible albums that just missed out as well. I own about 30 albums from '88 and honestly it took over an hour for me to cut that list to 20, twice that to make a top 10.

I'm not surprised. I faced a similar issue when I constructed mine for the same year, and now I have even more that I would have to contend with.

This one was absolutely brutal.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1990

1. Bathory - Hammerheart

This was a masterstroke from Bathory. The first ever viking metal album and still the best in my opinion.

2. Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican

What a savage album. The riffs are incredible, the overall vibe is nasty, and there's a nice groove to everything. If you only know them as that band Pantera kind of sound like this album will blow your mind.

3. Obituary - Cause Of Death

A phenomenal follow up to Slowly We Rot. Fantastic mid-tempo death metal.

4. Death - Spiritual Healing

Death's third album fully realised their death metal sound. The songwriting is better, the riffs are better, there's real technicality on display here and it's incredible.

5. Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Among the first tech-death albums. This is nasty, thrashy, death metal and it is glorious.

6. Deicide - Deicide

What a debut. Evil sounding death metal with tons of riffs. Deicide aren't the most consistent band in terms of quality but this showcases exactly what they can do.

7. Atrocity - Hallucinations

Spazzy death metal with some progressive tendencies and great riffs? Yes please.

8. Judas Priest - Painkiller

Halford's great vocals, top notch riffs, this is a classic for a reason.

9. Entombed - Left Hand Path

The tone is incredible, riffs plentiful, come on you all know this classic by now.

10. Incubus - Beyond The Unknown

Some of you may know the god-awful band using that name nowish. This is not that band. This is savage death/thrash with a hint of tech-death. Riffs for days here.

EDIT - As BAN pointed out errors were made in my initial list.

5 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said: 4. Death - Spiritual Healing

Death's third album fully realised their death metal sound. The songwriting is better, the riffs are better, there's real technicality on display here and it's incredible.

The only correct opinion of this album. 

Eh, I don't know about that. It drags a bit, and is more ambitious than they were ready for at that point. Human was the true metamorphosis for Death.

This one was absolutely brutal.

It doesn't have to be. War Master and Soulside Journey were from 91, maybe that will help. I'm sure it will make 91's list more difficult though.