Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Top Ten Metal Albums of 1995:

10. Opeth - Orchid

One of my favorite debuts and an album I always like to go back to. 

9. Ulver - Bergtatt

An utter black metal classic and an enchanting experience even to this very day. 

8. Saint Vitus - Die Healing

Scott Reagers' epic comeback to the band and one of my favorite doom metal releases. 

7. Mütiilation - Vampires of the Black Imperial Blood

Excellent French black metal. 

6. Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

Some of the most powerful, majestic material in the genre. 

5. Death Symbolic 

One of my favorite Death albums. 

4. Symphony X The Damnation Game

With the addition of Russell Allen, this was the start of something beautiful. 

3. Abigor Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)

Technical and atmospheric epicness that stands as one of this decade's highlights.

2. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side

Timeless power metal. 

1. Dissection Storm of the Light's Bane

Masterpiece. 

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's my favorite for sure. I think the quality of the songwriting on "With Fear..." is nearly as good, but the production is so horrible that it's hard to enjoy.

Slaughter of the Soul was pretty disappointing after hearing those two. It just seemed like a montonous, unambitious bore by comparison.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said: It's my favorite for sure. I think the quality of the songwriting on "With Fear..." is nearly as good, but the production is so horrible that it's hard to enjoy.

Slaughter of the Soul was pretty disappointing after hearing those two. It just seemed like a montonous, unambitious bore by comparison.

Thank you! I'm SOOOO fucking sick of people fellating that album as some kind of revelation, when it's the epitome of dumbing down your sound and selling out after making some brilliant early albums.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Thank you! I'm SOOOO fucking sick of people fellating that album as some kind of revelation, when it's the epitome of dumbing down your sound and selling out after making some brilliant early albums.

Not to mention that its "influence" is rather underwhelming. 

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

Not to mention that its "influence" is rather underwhelming. 

Yeah, we got The Black Dahlia Murder out of it. Whoopee.

Can't believe I haven't been posting in this thread considering I'm a list nerd. 

Requiem's Top 10 Albums of 1996

10. In Flames - 'The Jester Race'

Amazing melodies, great tone. The joy of this album is so tangible. Great acoustic stuff too. 

9. Moonspell - 'Irreligious'

A gothic metal masterpiece. Atmosphere, great songs. Another Woodhouse studios success. 

8. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Velvet Darkness They Fear'

Gothic metal with a renaissance vibe. Beauty and the beast vocals. Beautiful historic metal with Liv Kristine's vocals causing severe sexual angst in a 16 year old Requiem. 

7. Satyricon - 'Nemesis Divina'

The last truly great Satyricon album with possible black metal's greatest anthem in 'Mother North'. 

6. Katatonia - 'Brave Murder Day'

The bleak grandeur. The epic sounds of a deadened life. What a masterpiece. Totally unique album at the time. 

5. Anathema - 'Eternity'

A refinement of their sound and just pure beauty through the speakers (and artwork). Some of their best Duncan Patterson material. 'Angelica' is an all time lovers' anthem. 

4. My Dying Bride - 'Like Gods of the Sun'

My favourite album for many years. Dark, glossy, beautiful. The final track of keyboard and violin had a huge effect on me as a teenager. 

3. Amorphis - 'Elegy'

Their masterpiece. Incredible melodies and atmosphere with songs from the ancient Finnish folklore. Untouchable. 

2. Cradle of Filth - 'Dusk and Her Embrace'

Greatness. Incredible lyrics of gothicism and vampirism. Amazing production. Huge atmosphere. I still remember the first time I heard this and thought, 'fuck, how can this exist?'

1. Type O Negative - 'October Rust'

My equal all time favourite album. Epic love songs. Lyrics, production. Look at the tracks: 'Love you to Death', 'Red Water (Christmas Mourning), 'Wolf Moon', 'Haunted'. Untouchable classics. More than just music, this is transcendent. 

Can't believe I haven't been posting in this thread considering I'm a list nerd. 

Requiem's Top 10 Albums of 1996

10. Sentenced - 'Down' 

Negativity, melody, that great Woodhouse studios production. Their first album of true suicide anthems. 

9. In Flames - 'The Jester Race'

Amazing melodies, great tone. The joy of this album is so tangible. Great acoustic stuff too. 

8. Moonspell - 'Irreligious'

A gothic metal masterpiece. Atmosphere, great songs. Another Woodhouse studios success. 

7. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Velvet Darkness They Fear'

Gothic metal with a renaissance vibe. Beauty and the beast vocals. Beautiful historic metal with Liv Kristine's vocals causing severe sexual angst in a 16 year old Requiem. 

6. Katatonia - 'Brave Murder Day'

The bleak grandeur. The epic sounds of a deadened life. What a masterpiece. Totally unique album at the time. 

5. Anathema - 'Eternity'

A refinement of their sound and just pure beauty through the speakers (and artwork). Some of their best Duncan Patterson material. 'Angelica' is an all time lovers' anthem. 

4. My Dying Bride - 'Like Gods of the Sun'

My favourite album for many years. Dark, glossy, beautiful. The final track of keyboard and violin had a huge effect on me as a teenager. 

3. Amorphis - 'Elegy'

Their masterpiece. Incredible melodies and atmosphere with songs from the ancient Finnish folklore. Untouchable. 

2. Cradle of Filth - 'Dusk and Her Embrace'

Greatness. Incredible lyrics of gothicism and vampirism. Amazing production. Huge atmosphere. I still remember the first time I heard this and thought, 'fuck, how can this exist?'

1. Type O Negative - 'October Rust'

My equal all time favourite album. Epic love songs. Lyrics, production. Look at the tracks: 'Love you to Death', 'Red Water (Christmas Mourning), 'Wolf Moon', 'Haunted'. Untouchable classics. More than just music, this is transcendent. 

I can't say that I expected any different from this list after getting to know you through reading your other posts. Not to say that you're predictable, but you certainly have a type.

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I can't say that I expected any different from this list after getting to know you through reading your other posts. Not to say that you're predictable, but you certainly have a type.

Yeah, I do. Especially in 1996, which was for me the year that I discovered doom and gothic metal really. So a lot of the albums in those genres really had a huge impact for me. Here's my next list where you will see my other great musical passion...

Requiem's Top 10 Albums 1994

10. Alice in Chains - 'Jar of Flies'

A hugely influential band for me personally and just a haunting, great set of acoustic songs. 

9. Gorgoroth - 'Pentagram' 

Dark and compelling, this album has an atmosphere that can't be fabricated or faked. 

8. Enslaved - 'Vikingligr Veldi'

An incredible album that I feel is really underrated. Every song is a viking black hit and it takes me to another world. 

7. Darkthrone - 'Transilvanian Hunger' 

Amazing melodies in the cold, cold sound. Incredible atmosphere, artwork and aura. Just incredible. 

6. Megadeth - 'Youthanasia'

Emotional, deep, and immensely catchy. My second favourite Megadeth album. It's really the closest they've come to doom metal. 

5. Burzum - 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Featuring one of the all time great performances in 'Det Som Engang Var'. Varg Vikernes at his best is almost untouchable. 

4. Amorphis - 'Tales From the Thousand Lakes'

Hugely atmospheric, melodic, catchy, historical. The Kalevala lyrics just bring a lost and forgotten world to life in my mind. 

3. Emperor - 'In the Nightside Eclipse'

When the intro starts and then moves into 'Into the Infinity of Thoughts' the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. 'Inno a Satana' is a top five black metal anthem. 

2. Mayhem - 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas'

Euronymous' masterpiece. 8 songs of perfect atmosphere and amazing riffs. 

1. Satyricon - 'The Shadowthrone'

Yes, I'm putting this one first. My very first black metal album, when I heard it in 1995 as a 15 year old it changed my musical life. I love the nod to nature throughout the tracks. I love the acoustic guitar moments. I love the synth finale. I love the swinging riffs. I love the grim Norwegian voice that speaks during 'Hvite Krists Dod'. I love the group scream that subtly has the voices peter out to make it sound like a horde in the forest. Goddamit. I love Satyr's opening vocal at the very start of the album before the music kicks in. When I think of black metal I think of this album. 

• 3 weeks later...

Requiem's Top 10 of 2015

10. My Dying Bride - 'Feel the Misery'

Great to have Calvin back, and there are brilliant moments and atmospheres here, but not the best MDB and I find a few things outright annoying. 

9. Moonspell - 'Extinct'

Great Jens Bogren production from one of the current leaders in the gothic metal field. Really solid album. 

8. Marduk - 'Fronstschwein

Amazing stuff. So good that Marduk are still putting out such great quality. I like this more than their last few before it. 

7. Blind Guardian - 'Beyond the Red Mirror'

5 years is a long time to wait, and I know some fans were disappointed, but this is epic and a real musical journey. 

6. Children of Bodom - 'I Worship Chaos'

The best Bodom album since 'Follow the Reaper'. The downtuned guitars sound amazing, I can't get over it. The crunch. Holy hell. This is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard. 

5. Cradle of Filth - 'Hammer of the Witches'

Another return to form. Best since 'Midian'. Two new guitarists writing exciting riffs. Also the narrative here in the songs is really well done. They're back to emotional and epic rather than punchy and Hollywood thank god. 

4. Swallow the Sun - 'Songs from the North Parts I, II, III'

Incredible release. A regular album, an acoustic and a funeral doom all together on three disks. Just a beautiful album with great lyrics and pathos. 

3. Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - 'Prometheus - Symphonia Ignus Divinus'

Wow, this came out of nowhere. This is my single favourite Rhapsody related album, which may not be saying much for some of you, but this is a symphonic masterpiece where songs come first and the guitar twiddling comes second, mercifully. 

2. Amorphis - 'Under the Red Cloud'

Jens Bogren again. The man can do no wrong as a producer. He got the band to speed the songs up and wow what a result. Perfectly produced melodic metal with the world's greatest metal vocalist. 

1. Paradise Lost - 'The Plague Within'

No words. 

An amazing year for some of my favourite bands. What a treat it was for me. 

MacabreEternal's Top Ten Albums of 1997

10. Gorgoroth - "Under The Sign Of Hell"

A step up from "Antichrist" to some truly cold and evil BM.

9. Necrophobic "Darkside"

Criminally underrated BM that incorporates melody as well as anyone at the time.

8. Deftones "Around The Fur"

A tad inconsistent yet still one of my most revisited Deftones records after "White Pony" and "Diamond Eyes".

7. Deceased "Fearless Undead Machines"

A mixed bag of some annoying intro tracks (*yes I know it is a concept album) coupled with some straight up thrash metal and horror metal to boot.

6. Absu "The Third Storm Of Cythraul"

A slightly thrashier version of Absu begins to appear on this record at the expense of their more expansive deliveries of before but still a strong record.

5. Electric Wizard "Come My Fanatics"

Yep, it's dooooooooooooomm motherfucker! 

4. Immortal - "Blizzard Beasts"

Whilst it is no "Sons Of Northern Darkness" or "Pure Holocaust", this record bridges that gap nicely between "Battle Beast" and "At The Heart Of Winter" offering a slight improvement on the former but somehow still not able to prepare us for the majesty of the latter.

3. Destroyer 666 "Unchain The Wolves"

Dirty BM with an equally dirty attitude to boot.  Nothing else they have done has ever come close to this for me.

2. Emperor "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk"

The full length follow up to "In The Nightside Eclipse" was always going to be a difficult affair in terms of topping the former.  "Anthems..." doesn't top it for me but it was still a great record.

1. Ulver "Nattens Madrigal"

The harshness of this record really pulls you in as it scars your memory of it's existence and sound.  It is what truly abrasive BM is all about.

Top Ten of 2001

10. Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Chainsaw

This album has provided me with lots of entertainment over the years.

9. Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium

Excellent, straight-forward black metal. Used to see lots of people wearing this shirt back in the day.

8. Marduk - La Grande Danse Macabre

Very fierce album from Marduk and also fairly diverse.

7. Pungent Stench - Masters of Moral - Servants of Sin

More rockin' depravity from Stench.

6. Enslaved - Monumension

May be my favorite Enslaved album. Very ecletic.

5. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

Avant-garde, experimental, psychedelic... Sigh.

4. Zyklon - World ov Worms

Zyklon's debut. Catchy, aggressive, lots of cool riffs.

3. Aborym - Fire Walk with Us

Atmospheric, electronic-tinged black metal. Also featuring Attila. Killer.

2. Thorns - S/T

Some of the best black metal guitar work ever.

1. Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate

Takes up from Obscura and perfects it. A piece of art.

2 hours ago, morbidspectre said:

Top Ten of 2001

10. Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Chainsaw

This album has provided me with lots of entertainment over the years.

9. Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium

Excellent, straight-forward black metal. Used to see lots of people wearing this shirt back in the day.

8. Marduk - La Grande Danse Macabre

Very fierce album from Marduk and also fairly diverse.

7. Pungent Stench - Masters of Moral - Servants of Sin

More rockin' depravity from Stench.

6. Enslaved - Monumension

May be my favorite Enslaved album. Very ecletic.

5. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

Avant-garde, experimental, psychedelic... Sigh.

4. Zyklon - World ov Worms

Zyklon's debut. Catchy, aggressive, lots of cool riffs.

3. Aborym - Fire Walk with Us

Atmospheric, electronic-tinged black metal. Also featuring Attila. Killer.

2. Thorns - S/T

Some of the best black metal guitar work ever.

1. Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate

Takes up from Obscura and perfects it. A piece of art.

Cool list. I remember when the Thorns and Zyklon albums came out and I snapped them up. Great stuff. You also list my favourite Dark Funeral album. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Cool list. I remember when the Thorns and Zyklon albums came out and I snapped them up. Great stuff. You also list my favourite Dark Funeral album. 

Thanks. Same here for the Thorns and Zyklon albums. Diabolis is a hell of a good album; the drumming in particular is intense.

Requiem's Top 10 Albums of 2001

10. Emperor - 'Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise'

The second worst Emperor album is still a classic, and there are some amazing moments here. In my opinion Ihsahn's last truly great work. 

9. Moonsorrow - 'Voimasta ja Kunniasta'

The second Moonsorrow album to be released in 2001 (those were the days), this is a pagan metal masterpiece. More melodic than recent Moonsorrow albums, it's a glorious homage to a time gone by. 

8. Moonspell - 'Darkness and Hope'

Their gothic metal return after the electronic bollocks of their previous album, this is downbeat, heavy and glorious. A beautiful album. 

7. My Dying Bride - 'The Dreadful Hours'

One of the last great MDB albums. It's not my favourite by any measure, but it's got some great songs. 

6. Finntroll - 'Jaktens Tid'

About as good as this type of troll partying gets. Anyone who doesn't like this album needs a cuddle and a mug of frothy ale. 

5. Children of Bodom - 'Follow the Reaper'

The best Bodom album and a masterpiece of musicianship, with amazing guitar and keyboard solos, a great production and an equal sense of fun and death. 

4. Dimmu Borgir - 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia'

The best Dimmu Borgir album by quite some way. The orchestral elements to this are just glorious, and Nick Barker's drumming is a force of nature. Great vocals by Shagrath and Vortex. Everything about this album is amazing. 

3. Shape of Despair - 'Angels of Distress'

An amazingly elegant and powerful album, this is by far my favourite Shape of Despair release. The title track and 'To Live For My Death' are masterpieces. 

2. Novembre - 'Novembrine Waltz'

An melodic and emotional journey, drift away on the Mediterranean breeze of melancholy and nostalgia. 

1. Katatonia - 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'

My equal favourite album of all time, any genre. The perfection production, the perfect vocalist, songs of great relevance and emptiness. Listen to 'Tonight's Music'. Listen to 'Sweet Nurse'. This is what music for me is all about. 

8 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said: Hmm, I can really get behind some of those 2001 picks, but the others? Yikes.

oVO7Nv2.jpg

Metalucifer wasn't the subject of that comment. I don't have that album, but I do have Heavy Metal Drill and think it's great, so I'm assuming that one is great too.

On 08/04/2017 at 8:47 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Hmm, I can really get behind some of those 2001 picks, but the others? Yikes.

I presume this little slice of elitism from 'Nerd is obnoxiously directed towards my inclusion of classic albums by Children of Bodom and Dimmu. There could be others - who knows. 

I'm certainly happy to hear the views of others, but the blunter comments from this 'Super Moderator' are a little dragging at times, truth be told. 

On 08/04/2017 at 8:47 AM, BlutAusNerd said: Hmm, I can really get behind some of those 2001 picks, but the others? Yikes.

I presume this little slice of elitism from 'Nerd is obnoxiously directed towards my inclusion of classic albums by Children of Bodom and Dimmu. There could be others - who knows. 

I'm certainly happy to hear the views of others, but the blunter comments from this 'Super Moderator' are a little dragging at times, truth be told. 

No need to play the victim, there were 2 2001 lists that drew my attention. I actually really like that CoB album, my 2nd favorite after Hatebreeder, but you're right on Dimmu. I like their old albums, and even the one that followed PEM, but this album just seems so overblown with pomp and circumstance that I can't handle it for long. I don't hate it, but it's easily my least favorite of theirs up until that point. Nu-Katatonia draws most of my ire here though, and since I know we've discussed it in the past, I won't drudge it up again. It's just weird for me to see some fantastic albums from both lists in the form of Prometheus, Imaginary Sonicscape, Monumension, Jaktens Tid, and The Dreadful Hours paired with such dross (IMO of course) as Diabolus Interium, World Ov Worms, La Gran Danse Macabre, and the others that were previously mentioned. You probably read into it too far, as there was definitely no attack or "you're a fucking idiot for choosing these" styled animosity in my response. It's literally just as I said, I can really get behind some of those picks, but I can't at all with some of the others.

54 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

No need to play the victim, there were 2 2001 lists that drew my attention. I actually really like that CoB album, my 2nd favorite after Hatebreeder, but you're right on Dimmu. I like their old albums, and even the one that followed PEM, but this album just seems so overblown with pomp and circumstance that I can't handle it for long. I don't hate it, but it's easily my least favorite of theirs up until that point. Nu-Katatonia draws most of my ire here though, and since I know we've discussed it in the past, I won't drudge it up again. It's just weird for me to see some fantastic albums from both lists in the form of Prometheus, Imaginary Sonicscape, Monumension, Jaktens Tid, and The Dreadful Hours paired with such dross (IMO of course) as Diabolus Interium, World Ov Worms, La Gran Danse Macabre, and the others that were previously mentioned. You probably read into it too far, as there was definitely no attack or "you're a fucking idiot for choosing these" styled animosity in my response. It's literally just as I said, I can really get behind some of those picks, but I can't at all with some of the others.

This message is a thousand times more helpful than just writing 'yikes', as now we know what you're talking about while also contributing something productive to the thread. I love reading people's differing opinions when it comes to nu-Katatonia, or anything else that I happen to like, as I know that my metal opinions are often atypical. But I do take umbrage to unsubstantiated disparagement, on the internet and in real life. 

Having said this, it seems to me difficult to apply a 'yikes' yardstick when you admit that you like 'Follow the Leader' and 'Jaktens Tid' but not 'Diabolis Interium' and 'La Grande Danse Macabre'. I mean, I like those albums better too, but not by much, and it's easy for me to understand why another person might differ. It's not like someone is saying that 'Load' is better than 'Puppets', which in most cases would probably warrant a 'yikes'. A lot of people hate everything Bodom does and love everything Marduk does. 

You're a knowledgable guy when it comes to music and I really enjoy reading your more considered posts. You also have the decency to respond to some of my ghost threads (you know the ones). And I understand that if you've been here long enough to crank up 12k+ posts you've probably said it all already, so 'yikes' is probably just a truncated version of a more considered response. 

54 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

This message is a thousand times more helpful than just writing 'yikes', as now we know what you're talking about while also contributing something productive to the thread. I love reading people's differing opinions when it comes to nu-Katatonia, or anything else that I happen to like, as I know that my metal opinions are often atypical. But I do take umbrage to unsubstantiated disparagement, on the internet and in real life. 

Having said this, it seems to me difficult to apply a 'yikes' yardstick when you admit that you like 'Follow the Leader' and 'Jaktens Tid' but not 'Diabolis Interium' and 'La Grande Danse Macabre'. I mean, I like those albums better too, but not by much, and it's easy for me to understand why another person might differ. It's not like someone is saying that 'Load' is better than 'Puppets', which in most cases would probably warrant a 'yikes'. A lot of people hate everything Bodom does and love everything Marduk does. 

You're a knowledgable guy when it comes to music and I really enjoy reading your more considered posts. You also have the decency to respond to some of my ghost threads (you know the ones). And I understand that if you've been here long enough to crank up 12k+ posts you've probably said it all already, so 'yikes' is probably just a truncated version of a more considered response. 

Since you put it that way, my response does seem a bit off the cuff. True, I have spit out a fair bit on this community, so I figured most would knew where I stood on that point, but I haven't exactly been super active since you joined.

Follow the Leader is a vastly different album from Follow the Reaper, and is one that I hope never appears on any of these lists, haha! Typos aside though, I see what you're saying, some people hate the likes of CoB while worshiping that blasturbatory Swedish nonsense that I simply can't stand. Bands like Dark Funeral and Legion era Marduk rob black meta of its roots and any possible dynamic range or impact with a bunch of hyper-blasting pap that I have a hard time believing actually impresses anyone. It's objectively dull and trite, but for me, subjectively abhorrent, a parody and mockery of the genre I love that I simply can't tolerate. This is the case with Dark Funeral or Enthroned more so than Marduk, as they would still show glimmers of hope every so often that would re-emerge when Mortuus joined, but this stuff still actively irritates me. I'm glad that a lot of this norsecore drivel came to an end by the mid-00's, it's nice to hear some newer mainstream black metal bands actually playing riffs again. Hopefully that clears it up.