Martial Arts

The Strategos

I was just wondering if anybody out there does any martial arts? I do Shotokan Karate but I have to teach myself (which sucks) as there isn't a school nearby which teaches me in the way I feel that I need to learn it to defend myself :roll: . Anyway, if there is anybody out there, I would love to know - maybe we could chat about it :D !!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Martial Arts I've practiced Shorin Ryu Karate, Judo and Tae Kwon Do I reached blue belt (I know they had a name for it but I don't remember what it was) in Shorin Ryu before just losing interest in it when I was about 11 (I started when I was 9) I never made a grading in Judo because the instructor moved interstate I also reached 6th gup (green belt) in Tae Kwon Do before the school I did it at closed down, so now I just learn what I need to from the International TKD Federation website

Re: Martial Arts I did kickboxing for a short time and I was OK at it. Since it was a class we didn't really grade. In the course of that class I learned a miniscule amount of Krav Maga as well. I don't know how much use there will be since I'm not that physically fit, but I can deliver a fairly powerful kick, especially if it's a jump kick. My brother's quite good at it though. He goes regularly and works hard every time.

Re: Martial Arts murph1990! What a nice little collection, that's impressive!!! But Iceni, please, for the love of God, whatever you do in a confrontation DON'T JUMP KICK!!! Please, this is what I study, realistic martial arts (its not in the art so much as how you do it ;) ), and the one thing I absolutely know is try not to kick above the waist and certainly don't jump. If you do that then your balance is reduced, or in the case of jumping obliterated, and you can so easily end up on the floor. From there, if your enemy is still standing, its virtually all over and you will be beaten up. Of course, if you land your kick it can be devastating, but the risk is so high!!! I don't want to be a little annoying twit but I am genuinely worried about you :cry: . Please, all kicks at least with one leg on the ground. Anyway, thanks both of you two for responding :D !

Re: Martial Arts I miss Tae Kwon Do, full contact sparring with the black belts was always enjoyable, well except when being hit in the head, I've been meaning to join another school but there are two styles of TKD and the only schools near where I live teach World TKD Federation style which focuses too much on the flashy stuff and not enough on practicality (plus I'd have to start from white belt all over again in those schools) now I mainly practice patterns, the first element demonstrated for grading, basically a series of movements which are, for gradings, measured on the fluidity of movement, the accuracy of the different stances, and on how near ones finishing point is to their starting point, the closer one is to their starting point the better, in order to move on to the second stage of a grading and depending on the rank being sought by a student there can be up to 6 stages, for earlier gradings there are three, the stages are: patterns, breaking, which involves breaking either boards or tiles using a certain technique, self defence, which involves exhibiting two or more ways to defend oneself in a particular scenario, full contact sparring, step sparring, which is really a combination between sparring and patterns consisting of first three then two step sparring, and knowledge which involved being able to exhibit knowledge of both the history of TKD and the history of Korea, and for the first grading being able to count from 0 to 10 in Korean, and now I've lost track of what I was trying to say... and @NTNR Kung Fu huh, I always thought that would be interesting

Re: Martial Arts

It was' date=' and in hindsight it would've been a great way to meditate. I was in two competitions too. The first I was very young and didn't get anything. The second time I won first place.[/quote'] Hey-Hey-HEEEY NTNR, way to go, first place! Hey Murph1990, those patterns sound fascinating, they sound very much like the Kata I do in Karate - aren't they called hayans or something? My Kata are very much at the heart of my Karate, as hidden within the seemingly simple patterns are locks, throws and complex strategies for dealing with common street situation (other than dodging dog poo). Think this sounds far fetched? It really isn't, and makes total sense when you know that Karate had to be taught in secret, for Karate comes from the island of Okinawa, which is ethnically Chinese, and they had to learn these techniques in secret from their Japanesse overlords as they where banned from using weapons (Kobudo and Karate where once taught as one and the same like weapons techniques in Eskrima nowadays). Hence, it seems to make sense that they hid them in code, so that the enemy would not know what they where. I wonder, and I think that I saw it somewhere in one of my books :geek: , can you do the same with your Tae-Kwon-Do patterns? After all, isn't Tae-Kwon-Do related to Karate somehow, just with more kicking?

I used to do Shotokan (I think that's how it's spelled) Karate' date=' and I achieved a green belt and actually won a big championship. Then I quit and got fat. :(:D[/quote'] Seems like a recurring theme. I don't know if I would call myself fat, but I used to be in excellent shape, going to the gym 4 times per week and eating a pretty meticulously planned diet, and I've definitely put on a few "marriage pounds".

TKD originated in Korea although it wasn't called Tae Kwon Do at the time, it was primarily taught as a method of hand to hand combat for the Korean military before seperating into too different arts in the 1800's TKD then split into two different schools around about 1950 when competitions began, the two schools both have different rules for their competitions, World TKD Federation rules allow only for body shots in contest sparring whilst Internationial TKD Federation rules allow for contact to the legs, body and head, I practice my patterns more as a means of relaxation and meditation, to just clear my head of whatever is going on around me but yes there are techniques in there which could be applied to real situations

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, until that training I had only done Japanese martial arts (judo, iaido, karate, aikido). Capoeira seems like an optimal way to stay in shape and it's also challenging to me since the system of movement is completely different from what I (used to) learn in martial arts. I won't comment on any further aspects, since it'll take me a few years to get a good hang of the basics