IRON MAIDEN

Another interesting thread that I've missed. This place just keeps on giving. 

My favourite Iron Maiden album is probably 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'. It wasn't always, but I think for me where I am with music in 2017, this would be the album. It's an absolute classic. 

Quickly behind it are 'Powerslave' and 'Number of the Beast'. I think I tend to overlook 'Number of the Beast' a little bit because it's so damn obvious, but remember the VERY first time you heard 'Hallowed by thy Name'? Or the title track? 

As for the 'X-Factor' and 'Vitrual XI' controversy, I don't think I ever heard the latter album, but I've had 'X-Factor' on CD since it came out, and while I don't listen to it these days, I remember it has some pretty decent songs on it. Blaze sounds terrible, but a song like 'Sign of the Cross' is a really good tune. 

• 3 weeks later...

Purgatory ranks among my top 5 tracks from "Killers", along with "Wrathchild", "Killers", "The Ides of March" and "Murders in Rue Morgue".

"Strange World" is a cool moody song.

"Wasting Love" is a ballad that I sort of despise. I mean, I don't mind listening to it in the context of the "Fear of the Dark" LP, but I do consider it unnecessary and a sort of miss shot. To each his own. Let Sebastian Bach and Skid Row do that. When Maiden do ballads I want them to be like "Children of the Damned"!

On 10/03/2017 at 9:58 PM, Skull_Kollektor said:
I fucking love "QUEST FOR FIRE" and "TO TAME A LAND". Dunno why many people do not consider them highly.

Because they're filler, like most of Piece of Mind[emoji14]

Bethlehem's schizoid black metal cover of Where Eagles Dare is pretty sick though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Nice!

Also I actually like Where Eagles Dare but that and The Trooper are the only worth while songs from the album.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I do really like Die With Your Boots On aswell (and the cover of Cross Eyed Mary by Jethro tull on the deluxe edition).

• 2 weeks later...

The most underrated song by Iron Maiden is 'Mother Russia' from 'No Prayer for the Dying'. 

I haven't heard it in 10 years but what a song. 'No Prayer for the Dying' is actually a pretty happening album but you never hear anyone talking about it. 

On 01/04/2017 at 3:44 AM, Requiem said:

The most underrated song by Iron Maiden is 'Mother Russia' from 'No Prayer for the Dying'. 

I haven't heard it in 10 years but what a song. 'No Prayer for the Dying' is actually a pretty happening album but you never hear anyone talking about it. 

You know what?  Until this post I had never realised how true a statement this is.  Both "Mother Russia" and the album should stand up better than most give credit to either for. 

39 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

You know what?  Until this post I had never realised how true a statement this is.  Both "Mother Russia" and the album should stand up better than most give credit to either for. 

I think so. Songs like 'Holy Smoke' and 'Hooks in You' are great songs. 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter' is completely daft but good fun. 'Tailgunner' is an 'Aces High' rip-off but not a terrible song. 'Run Silent Run Deep' is great too. I'm concluding that 'No Prayer for the Dying' is a good album. 

Regarding 'Piece of Mind' it's a very front loaded album. The first five songs are all great: 'Where Eagles Dare', 'Revelations', 'Flight of Icarus' (hell yeah!), 'Die With Your Boots On' and 'The Trooper'. Then the last four are pretty ordinary. Still, five out of nine means a very good album in my book. 

I bought 'Live After Death' yesterday too. I thought it was time I had that masterpiece. The booklet is really fascinating - the daily schedule on tour in particular is very insightful. Man, I wish I was involved in one of those large scale tours back in the 80s. I couldn't think of anything more fun. 

12 hours ago, Requiem said:

I think so. Songs like 'Holy Smoke' and 'Hooks in You' are great songs. 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter' is completely daft but good fun. 'Tailgunner' is an 'Aces High' rip-off but not a terrible song. 'Run Silent Run Deep' is great too. I'm concluding that 'No Prayer for the Dying' is a good album. 

There's some real turkeys on this album too though, now I am actually sat here listening.  "Public Enema Number One" is just pure filler and "Fates Warning" is completely unmemorable.  I am amazed I forgot about "The Assassin" - the worst track I think I have ever heard from Maiden.  I am having some difficulties with "Hooks In You", it moves beyond catchy and almost falls into the realm of "lazy".  It is poorly placed just before "Bring Your Daughter.." too.  Not as strong a record as I thought now i am listening over again.

1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

There's some real turkeys on this album too though, now I am actually sat here listening.  "Public Enema Number One" is just pure filler and "Fates Warning" is completely unmemorable.  I am amazed I forgot about "The Assassin" - the worst track I think I have ever heard from Maiden.  I am having some difficulties with "Hooks In You", it moves beyond catchy and almost falls into the realm of "lazy".  It is poorly placed just before "Bring Your Daughter.." too.  Not as strong a record as I thought now i am listening over again.

In fairness my assessment is based on a decades long fantasy that may have little bearing on the truth. I'll have to give it a listen although I'm afraid of what I might hear haha.

I don't mind any of the tracks mentioned above. I can stand them all. I actually fancy "The Assassin" and I could sing along to the chorus of any of them, so yes, it's a pretty decent album if you ask me... it's just that what came before was better and what came immediately after had higher highs (but lower lows too)!

• 8 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 9:19 PM, Comprodrigue said:

Lemme surprise you more, I like BNW too. For me it is their last kickass album. Rest are just meh. Favorite for me is Somewhere in Time followed by Powerslave. First seven albums are Maiden, rest feels more mediocre and less artistic. Just my opinion.

I was talking to a friend about Maiden just yesterday and said something similar.

The first five or six albums have that spirit and energy. Just beautiful, fun, albums. 'Book of Souls' was hailed as a comeback album and I bought it, and it's just not. It's so flat and boring. It's slow paced rock with guitars that saw the (staggeringly) three guitar players forget to turn the distortion on. 

It has a couple of cool moments, but my nanna with a mop and bucket chances on a good beat occasionally. It's grandpa metal and deserves very little praise in my estimation. Happy for others to like it though (and I do like some of it!)

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

I was talking to a friend about Maiden just yesterday and said something similar.

The first five or six albums have that spirit and energy. Just beautiful, fun, albums. 'Book of Souls' was hailed as a comeback album and I bought it, and it's just not. It's so flat and boring. It's slow paced rock with guitars that saw the (staggeringly) three guitar players forget to turn the distortion on. 

It has a couple of cool moments, but my nanna with a mob and bucket chances on a good beat occasionally. It's grandpa metal and deserves very little praise in my estimation. Happy for others to like it though (and I do like some of it!)

Same here! Riffs are repeated too many times, Harris's basslines are not what they used to be as well as his song-writting. Only song that stands strong for me is Speed of Light.