The Official Thrash Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

• 5 months later...

I think it's about time to add a few more videos here.

Ares Kingdom - Incendiary:

Ares Kingdom are death/thrash metal band that have been around for a bit, but just got around to releasing albums a few years ago. I'm putting Ares Kingdom into the thrash section instead of death because the music is almost completely thrash, the only death metal elements are a couple of riffs here and there, and the harsh vocals. The music doesn't necessarily sound old school, nor does it sound modern, but the riffs and solos are thrash all the way. The music is written in a pretty epic fashion, it sounds more like it's trying to build a big grand sound, as opposed to just mowing you down with violence, really good stuff.

Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum:

Moderator's Note: The original video (Viscious Visions) is no longer on youtube. It has been replaced by this live video which is one of only a handful remaining.

Blind Illusion were a unique and interesting prog/thrash band from the late 80's, that unfortunately only released one album before calling it quits (they have reformed and released a new album, but I've only seen poor reviews of it). This album features some pretty adventurous songwriting, with the prog metal well integrated into the thrash base, as well as some great lead guitar and bass work. Those great lead and bass guitar parts are performed by Larry LaLonde and Les Claypool, before they would form Primus in the 90's. It took me a little while to get past the weak guitar tone and lackluster production, but much like Watchtower, the songs definitely make up for it.

Darkness - Death Squad:

Darkness were one of the many forgotten German thrash metal bands of the 80's. I love Destruction, Sodom, and Kreator as much as the next guy, but it's really tragic that so many bands like this were forgotten by time, as this and their second album are both great. The sound is not too far removed from the three mentioned above, but they were a bit less brutal and a bit higher speed than those bands. Lots of the songs on this album are just lightning fast, if you enjoy fast thrash and/or the German sound, you'll definitely like this.

Deathwish - Demon Preacher:

Deathwish were a UK thrash band that only released 2 albums at the end of the 80's before disbanding, which wasn't really uncommon at the time. They were faster than most of their contemporaries, and not as brutal as Sabbat, but nonetheless completely fucking awesome. The vocals take a bit of getting used to, as they do sound like they would be better in a less aggressive band, but they do add a dimension of uniqueness that their well performed, though not highly original fast thrash would not have granted them otherwise. This is better than most of the stuff coming out at this time, right around when thrash was streamlining and stagnating, and definitely worth your time.

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence:

Demolition Hammer were one of the latest thrash bands to the game, with their first album not debuting until 1990, but much like the other big thrash band that waited until 1990 to release their debut (Exhorder), they were brutal as shit. This is extremely heavy, savage, and punishing thrash metal that borders on death metal in many ways, but not quite enough for me to call it death/thrash. Anyway, if you're looking for a completely ass kicking, neck snapping, punishing thrash listen, this is the band for you.

Exumer - Possessed by Fire:

Exumer are another of those forgotten German thrash metal bands from the 80's, though not quite as forgotten as bands like Darkness and Necronomicon. They seem to have built up a cult following surrounding this album, which does seem to make sense, because it kicks ass. This doesn't completely embody the German sound though, it reminds me of the early works from the big 3 German thrash metal bands mixed with some early Bay Area tendencies, with more than a few riffs reminiscent of Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy. Some people think that this is the greatest album to come out of German, which I can't really agree with, but it is damn good.

Ghoul - Splatterthrash:

Ghoul are a band made up of past and current members of Impaled, who are a pretty good Carcass worship band. Ghoul isn't Carcass worship though, they definitely pull much more of their sound from old school thrash metal, but retain those gore-soaked vocals that you'll recognize from Impaled. This is quality death/thrash, but I feel it falls more to the thrash side of that equation, which is why it is placed here. Pay no attention to the fact that their biggest tour was opening for Gwar, while they do have a schtick with the "ghoul" image, spray blood from stage props, and go by pseudonyms, this is actually good music, which Gwar fail at.

Holy Moses - Finished With The Dogs:

Moderator's Note: The original video (In The Slaughterhouse has been removed from youtube. It has been substituted for the entire album.

Holy Moses seem to be a fairly well known and respected thrash metal band in Germany, but it seems like elsewhere they don't get that kind of credit. I can sort of see why, as Sabina's vocals are much harsher than the norm expected from a female fronted band, and some of their albums do fall a bit flat. However, their second album Finished With the Dogs is a fucking masterpiece, and is easily one of the most vicious and savage thrash metal albums I've heard, due in large part to her vocals. Holy shit does she sound nasty, and there are some insanely destructive riffs and drumming to back her up here, making for one of my new favorite thrash albums.

Necronomicon - Apocalyptic Nightmare:

Necronomicon are an often forgotten about German thrash metal band, but I can honestly say that I can see why. It's not that they're a bad band, in fact, they're actually pretty good. The problem is that they sound a great deal like Destruction, but Destruction being the better band, it's not hard to see why they were the ones that were remembered. Still, fans of Destruction, and German thrash metal in general, should still find plenty to enjoy about this. The riffs are constantly changing and are nice and nasty, vocals are nasally and intense (much like Schmier), and the songs are composed well enough to keep my interest.

Onslaught - The Force:

Onslaught were one of the best known UK thrash metal bands in the 80's, and it's not hard to see why. Their first album was Venom inspired nasty sounding black/thrash, and the followup The Force was much more involved, featuring longer songs, better riffs, and great vocals. The style here is pretty reminiscent of Slayer, especially songs like Chemical Warfare, though not quite as dark (or as good, frankly, but what is?), but with a bit more of that UK heavy metal edge. This isn't my very favorite UK thrash band, as I don't think that they can beat out Sabbat or Deathwish, but they were still a great band. Just steer clear of their new stuff, it sounds like it's trying really hard to be Tempo of the Damned, but is a pretty poor imitation.

If you like Ulysses Siren check out Tyrant's Reign, they are slightly more technical but employ the same higher vocal attack with some of their faster parts. Deathrow are also fairly similar to Necronomicon from Germany, both bands sound a fuckload like Sodom. Protector are great as well from Germany asd well.
I posted a Deathrow video from Riders of Doom on this thread ages ago, and while their debut sounds a bit like Sodom, what they did after really doesn't. Haven't made it to adding Protector yet (stopped with Onslaught), but they'll be on the next list, as I fucking love Misanthropy, Golem, Urm the Mad, and Leviathan's Desire, some of the best German thrash ever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard these guys before? Lost Society- Kill (Those who Oppose Me) - YouTube Pretty good if you ask me.
Not bad, better than most of the retro thrash I've heard. The verse section was pretty energetic and entertaining, I didn't like the chorus section so much, but the Alexi Laiho styled solo was definitely a surprise, I'm glad it wasn't some generic Kurt Hammett ripoff.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Re: advanced thrash metal

Discovered Demolition Hammer because of this thread. Fuck me they are savage' date=' "Epidemic Of Violence" is on my "to purchase" list along with some Artillery who I like more for their guitar work than anything else.[/quote'] Still tons of other savage shit to grab here. Demolition Hammer are pretty brutal, but I like many of the bands listed here a little better for their songwriting, while still being savage. Don't pass up Morbid Saint if you like Kreator, they're the American equivalent, but even more vicious and better than Kreator IMO. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Re: advanced thrash metal

Just given "Spectrum Of Death" a spin and I fucking love it. Next up on my purchase list methinks.
Hope they've reissued it, my copy cost me $60. It was the Keltic Records pressing limited to 500 copies, and was at the time the only way to get their unreleased Destruction System album, so I felt that it was worth it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...