The Official Doom Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Another round of doom metal videos coming up:

Brown Jenkins - Angel Eyes:

Brown Jenkins was a short lived US black/doom metal band, with a penchant for writing creepy and heavy sounding songs with lots of atmosphere. The feeling of the music may remind people more of USBM like Xasthur and Leviathan, but the guitar work is much heavier and more doom oriented, and the clear production with that more chugging pace indicates to me that they're approaching that sound from a doom angle. For anyone who likes dark doom metal, or really introspective metal of any sort, this should be heard.

Corrupted - Se hace por les suenos asesinos:

Corrupted is a pretty legendary band in the sludge/doom metal world. They're a force to be reckoned with in regards to heaviness, and for a genre that focuses on heaviness and oppressive atmosphere, that says something. With their last album, they took on a more atmospheric writing style, with more clean passages, but not in the same way as other doom bands normally would. It's pretty minimalistic, but quite beautiful, as is the melody that drips forth from the bludgeoning guitars when they kick in. Their songs are notably long, and despite being Japanese, most of their songs are in Spanish and German, this being one of the few in their mother tongue. This is definitely something that you need to devote some time to, the first time I listened to this album was from start to finish in a rainstorm, and it was moving.

Count Raven - Messiah of Confusion

If there was ever a contender for the doom metal vocalist that sounds the most like Ozzy, Count Raven's Dan Fondelius would likely take the top spot. From this assertion, you could guess that Count Raven plays traditional doom metal, and you would be correct. This is not just idle Sabbath worship though, they have a nice amalgamation of doom metal influences that shine through, and a definite 90's feel to the music. This is just crunchy, catchy, and well done traditional doom metal, so if you like any of the early doom bands that inspired these guys, you should find plenty to enjoy here.

Deinonychus - Insomnia:

Deinonychus is the main band of Marco Kehren, the man most well known for performing vocals for Bethlehem's legendary S.U.I.Z.I.D. album. The music here is not far removed from Bethlehem, that being an extremely bleak black/doom metal hybrid, though Deinonychus falls much farther to the doom metal side of the spectrum than Bethlehem typically does. The vocals are pained howls and spoken words, the guitars are crunchy and mournful, and the songs are drown out dirges of sorrow. Fans of suicidal black metal and the more bleak sides of doom metal should enjoy this.

Derketa - In Death We Heal:

Derketa was one of the earliest US doom/death metal bands, and one of the first all female doom/death metal bands. Not that their gender makes any kind of difference, as regardless, this is top shelf, heavy, and nasty doom/death that should have any fan salivating. They only managed to put out a few demos and EP's early on, but then reformed to record their first album, with pretty much all of the songs being ones that they wrote when they had first formed. The sound is excellent, the riffs are crushing, and the songs are surprisingly memorable. This is how doom/death originated, and this will likely appeal more to fans of Autopsy, Cianide, Winter, etc... than fans of more melodic/gothic doom/death, but there's something here for any death metal or doom metal fan to enjoy.

Doom:VS - Dead Words Speak:

Doom:VS is the solo project of Draconian's chief songwriter Johan Ericson. Fans will definitely be able to hear his style showing through, but Doom:VS focuses more on the doom/death side of the Draconian sound, leaving out much of the gothic influence of Draconian, and adding some influences from funeral doom. This definitely stands on its own, and is quite the satisfying listen for fans of the more melodious side of doom/death or funeral doom, or fans of melodic and melancholic metal in general.

Fatum Elisum - Fatum Elisum:

Fatum Elisum are a newer French doom/death metal band making a name of themselves. There's nothing spectacularly original going on here, but everything you would ever want to hear in doom/death is here, nasty vocals, crushing guitars, a general sense of despair, etc... The guitar player recently joined Ataraxie and was on their last album, and you can definitely hear some similarities to that band here, also with the vocals and drums. Not much else to say, just another good album to recommend.

Fungoid Stream - Oceanus:

Fungoid Stream have a bit of a different take on funeral doom than most. You will still hear most of the hallmarks here, slow pace, low vocals, expansive keyboards, etc..., but the atmosphere here is quite different. The lyrics are based on Lovecraft, which isn't unusual, but the feel isn't one of gloom and despair, but rather one of an otherworldly, aquatic nature. It's a bit difficult to describe, but it's definitely a sound of their own, and one that fans of more original doom metal should hear.

Grief - Come to Grief:

Grief are yet another ancient sludge metal band, but one that never seems to get the credit of those in the California or New Orleans scenes. I'm not sure why, as I feel that these guys are head and shoulders above most of those bands, and that's saying something. Maybe I just like them more because they're doomier and more despondent than many other sludge bands, with less hardcore breaks and a more crawling, miserable pacing. This shit is heavy and will ruin your day, reinforcing all of the negative shit that you feel about humanity, but in the best way possible. Killer sludge for fans, and also a good band for fans of more traditional doom to cut their teeth on.

Indian - From All Purity:

Let me start by saying that this record is just vile sounding. Someone on another forum talked about these guys as a great sludge band, and as he is quite into the style, I picked up this album without having heard it first. I was in for quite the surprise when I popped it in, it's just sick and nasty through and through. Heavy and rough, with gnarly vocals, and an unrelenting feeling of sickness, this is not something you would want to put on at a party. Enjoy, if you can.

Although BaN has put up the most necessary stuff, I wanted also to contribute a small bit to this thread, with mostly some local bands: To start with, maybe already known, my favorite death/doomband: Eye of Solitude, from the UK. Heavy pieces of music are alternated with some (long) pieces of piano. And above all: they got a very unique sound. Album: Canto III

From Utrecht, Netherlands, is this also quite unique band. Maybe the music itself is not very original, but the language of the songs even more, since all songs of their songs are sang in Dutch, which gives the music an unique touch. Album: Der Zwaarte von het Doorstane

Time to give it a more sludge and drone sound. Shadow of the Torturer does a great job on creating a kinda special atmosphere. Although I would really recommend to catch this band live, 'cause that's even better! Album:Marching Into Chaos

And back to the Netherlands with Faal (English translation: "Fail"). Their music is far from failing though. Nothing really special, just death/doom as it should be! Album: Abhorrence - Salvation

Oh, look, a dark field against which to type, such a blessing! Thanks Yobo, I really enjoyed the tune in Dutch by Akelei. It makes me feel very cool and sophisticated to hear stuff in foreign languages. I'm sure the commercial pressure to sing in English is considerable, and I bet I'd tire of not knowing what the words meant if music only came in languages I didn't understand. For example nothing by Candlemass was sung in Swedish as far as I can tell, and that's a shame because I would kind of like to hear that. That song by Akelei has a kind of new age feel it seems to me, and there seems to be a strong current of new age running through a bunch of the doom (though not in other tunes from Yobo's post above). Maybe some would call it ambient, and maybe that's a more accurate term, but with pretty vocals instead of growling some of this "metal" would be suitable for background music while getting a pedicure in a spa. I don't necessarily mean for that to be a criticism, except in so much as it is scathing, but wonder what others think. What do you think? This morning I have listened to a lot of stuff on Youtube from The Gates of Slumber, and find it nearly fully awesome (the guitar player has a slight tendency to get a little noodley in a blues fashion, but it's tolerable). I dig the swords and sorcerers cover art. Best thread ever.

Time for some more death/doom recommendation, which I surely enjoy: To start this time with: Ophis from Germany. They describe themselves as "raw, nihilistic death/doom". A pretty suitable term, since it's indeed raw, but also very depressing in a certain way. A new album is coming our way this september. Album: Withered Shades

Another band from Germany: Decembre Noir, who currently released their first album. Maybe not as raw as Ophis, but still very enjoyable doom. The outro of this song is really beautiful: Album: A Discouraged Believer

Time to go to America, with firstly Woccon. So far they released only one ep, but an ep with a very promising sound. This song has a beautiful melody, although the sound is closer to melodeath than doom.  Album: The Wither Fields

Officium Triste then. I have mentioned them already a lot here, but especially this song must be heard. Imo one of the most beautiful (melodic) death/doom-pieces ever written. Album: Mors Viri

Since we're talking about Officium Triste, I think it's the right time to introduce Clouds. Clouds is a project from Daniel Neagoe of Eye of Solitude, which features some guest apperances, for example by Pim Blankenstein, singer of Officium Triste. Not on this song though, but "You Went So Silent" is just another example why this is such a great and beautiful genre. Album: Doliu

And the last one for today, is a recommendation from FatherAlabaster. Atten Ash just need to be heard, death/doom as it should be! Album: The Hourglass

• 1 month later...

A few more: EDIT: Links have been added underneath every band in case the videos are broken.

Abandon is a Swedish (funeral) doom/sludge band I have recently discovered. Whereas their first album followed a rather vicious sludge metal approach, their newer material focuses more on funeral doom aspects. The song above is featured on When It Falls Apart, their first album. I suggest looking up The Dead End for some more funeral doom oriented material. 

From the Netherlands, there is The 11th Hour. The 11th Hour is death/doom band which likes to put the emphasis on melodic structures with some symphonic influences. Both clean and growled vocals are used. This song comes from their latest album, which I find, overall, an enjoyable doom/death record. Album: Lacoma Mortis

Next to Aborted and Channel Zero, Steak Number Eight is one of the reigning metal bands in Belgium. They gained popularity by being the youngest winners in the history of a rock contest here. If you like sludge metal with warm clean vocals, emotional climaxes and a touch of noise, this band is worth checking out. Album: The Hutch

(Moderator's Note: the video originally posted here could not be recovered)

Another Belgian doom/sludge metal band is SardoniS. SardoniS is an two-headed band which only plays instrumental music. There's nothing out of the ordinary here, but it can be fun putting it on every now and then. 

My final submission for this post is Mourning Dawn. The French Mourning Dawn plays an enjoyable combination of doom metal and black metal. Personally, I think they have improved through time, leading to the album which the song I posted contains. 

Album: Les sacrifices

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot of The Gates of Slumber and just loving them. I feel like they are a truly an exceptional band, and I take back my comment about the lead guitar sounding blues influenced, it is way more complicated then that. I guess I dig a three piece band because I like this band Conan as well. I believe that there has been no mention of them on this thread. They don't make music anywhere near as complicated as The Gates of Slumber, but the drumming and the vocals both appeal to me, and they have better taste in fantasy art, more original or old school or something like that. Have any of you seen either of these bands live? I know Gates of Slumber is no more, but what about Conan, do they ever leave merry old England? If someone knows them please tell them that I for one would love to see them over here in New England.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another round of doom has been requested, so another round of doom shall be given:

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments:

Melvins are not a doom metal band in the classic sense, and have traversed quite the sonic path throughout their lengthy career, exploring many different sounds. However, they were one of the first bands to explore sludge metal, combining doom metal with hardcore in a way that hadn't been done at the time, and were massively influential toward doom metal, sludge, and drone doom because of early releases like this. Heavy riffs, great early vocals from Buzz, and a dirty tone like this were unheard of in 1987, but would spawn many followers in the years to come.

Mindrot - Dawning

Mindrot were one of the more unusual early entries into the doom/death field, and though they bore some resemblance to scene mates Morgion, there is a much different tone here. The mid-90's doom/death formula of combining crushing riffs and vocals with more melodic, atmospheric passages is certainly present, but are much different than the more elegant sounding gothic passages from their European counterparts. It's a bit difficult to explain what I'm talking about, it would probably be best just to hear it. The presentation here is very tasteful and progressive, but still plenty rotten sounding to give any doom/death fan something to headbang to.

Moss - Sub Templum:

Moss is sort of a strange and unsuspecting name for such an extreme doom metal band. This is some seriously tortured and wicked sounding sludge/drone doom, and the long songs on this album don't let you up for air for very long before bringing the hammer back down. This is the sort of band that I wish Sunn O))) sounded more like, it has a similar sound, but doesn't meander so much, it just gets to its dark, oppressive business, and then keeps at it until you're sufficiently crushed. Any fan of the more extreme and raw sides of doom metal would do well to check this out, though I'm told that their newest album is more like retro doom, and not really worth your time.

Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die:

Saturnus represents Denmark's most well known entry into the doom/death field, in addition to one of the earliest entries into the more elegant/classically influenced side of the sound. Their music is rife with rich melodies, beautiful composition, and palpable melancholy, and though the vocals sound more akin to something that you might hear coming from a brutal death metal band, they fit the music nicely. Fans of the more raw side of doom/death may not enjoy this as much, but anyone into more melodic doom/death bands should really enjoy what Saturnus have to offer.

Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path:

Serpentine Path is a doom metal supergroup of sorts, comprised of members from bands like Electric Wizard, Unearthly Trance, and Winter. As can be expected from the pedigree of the musicians involved, this is raw, sludgy doom/death, devoid of grace, beauty, and complexity. The sound here is nasty, lurching, and ugly, with plenty of that signature Tim Bagshaw crunch in the guitar department, and Ryan's vocals are much more sinister sounding here than in his previous mainstay. If you like your doom hideous, then I would certainly suggest giving Serpentine Path a listen.

The Funeral Orchestra - Slow Shall be the Whole of the Law:

The Funeral Orchestra is a raw Swedish doom collective made up of unknown members, save for Nicklas Rudolfsson, usually known for his work with Sacramentum and Runemagick. Some parallels to Runemagick can be heard here, especially the more drawn out sections of their later albums, but the death metal element seen in Runemagick is missing here. This is extremely sluggish, sludgy funeral doom, with a very thick and ominous sound. This is more akin to less melodic sounding funeral doom bands, and should suit fans that are more acquainted with bands like Rigor Sardonicus or Ysigim than bands like Skepticism or Shape of Despair. This is very enjoyable stuff though, hopefully we'll see more from them in the future.

Wijlen Wij - Wijlen Wij:

Wijlen Wij is a pretty phenomenal funeral doom collaboration, featuring members from Pantheist and Until Death Overtakes Me, and their output here may be even better than that of their more well known bands. The sound here is monolithic, featuring some pretty involved songwriting for funeral doom, with excellent vocals (even if they are pushed more to the background), a great fuzzy guitar tone, and very fitting keyboards. This is an album that any funeral doom fan should familiarize themselves with, as fans of the genre are most likely already familiar with the main groups that the members are involved in, and even if the members were unknowns, the album would still be killer on its own.

A Young Man's Funeral - Thanatical Unlife:

A Young Man's Funeral is a newer Russian funeral doom/death metal band with some potential. The vocals here are great, and extremely guttural sounding, giving a bit more of an aggressive edge to the music that would not have been present had the vocals been more pushed back and smooth sounding. The riffs aren't very intricate and are a bit repetitious, but they do weave nicely into the rest of the sonic tapestry, which features some subtle bass interplay, and simple, but effective keyboards. I'm looking forward to more from this band, I don't believe they're quite at the top of their game yet, but this is still a nice listen for fans of the style.

Celestial Season - Forever Scarlet Passion:

Celestial Season were one of many early Dutch doom/death metal bands, but along with The Gathering, were one of the most melodic, as opposed to the more raw sound you would hear from bands like Asphyx and Delirium. There are a great many different textures to their sound, with many uptempo passages, some nasty sounding death metal, and then serene violin melodies over the more morose sounding passages. This is quite the varied listen, and reminds me of the many moods explored by Pyogenesis on their Ignis Creatio EP. Don't let the cover art fool you, there is still plenty of bite to this, and even the more gothic sounding passages are quite a bit heavier than a band like Theatre of Tragedy.

Dusk - To Find New Darkness / The Slumber (split):

Dusk, along with Avernus, are among the most unfortunately glossed over US doom/death bands that I've heard. They released some material with limited distribution, collected it onto a compilation, changed their name to Aphotic (who were much more mellow sounding), and had did essentially the same thing. That material was wonderful though, very heavy and death metal oriented doom/death with lots of atmospheric passages, using more of a stark contrast in elements like many other US doom/death acts (Mindrot and Morgion come to mind). This band was every bit as good as the others that received more recognition, so I see no reason why any doom/death fan should have ignored Dusk. Don't make the same mistake that they did, check this out.