Jump to content

The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread


RelentlessOblivion
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

That's why Skaphe threw me off too. Always had them in my head as Icelandic...

Totally forgot Häxanu...that was a great release

...forgot Akasha was from the U.S. as well

Akasha - Canticles of the Sepulchral Deity

 

That album rules. Enthroned in Catacombs is one of the best riffs I've heard in a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember that American black metal was pretty much considered a joke here in Sweden for a long, long time. Only band that was kind of respected was Absu and maybe Von (though they were quite obscure). Of course things have gotten a lot better this side of the 20th. The one-man bands from the US like Xastur, Leviathan, Krieg were quite different from the Scandinavian scenes, more punk-influence and mental illness. Then it felt like there started to crop a new wave of band that found their footing in atmo-black, and later the whole Cascadian tree-hippie wave. And now we're back to the one-man band thing but this time raw BM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sheol said:

I remember that American black metal was pretty much considered a joke here in Sweden for a long, long time. Only band that was kind of respected was Absu and maybe Von (though they were quite obscure). Of course things have gotten a lot better this side of the 20th. The one-man bands from the US like Xastur, Leviathan, Krieg were quite different from the Scandinavian scenes, more punk-influence and mental illness. Then it felt like there started to crop a new wave of band that found their footing in atmo-black, and later the whole Cascadian tree-hippie wave. And now we're back to the one-man band thing but this time raw BM.

Seems a number of so called New York or Brooklyn BM bands straddle the line between experimental, black and hardcore/punk. I can see why purists don't consider them "actual" BM. And then you got those old school dudes like Gahl or even Daniel Rosten that go  on about the only purpose of BM is the glorification of Satan LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, markm said:

Seems a number of so called New York or Brooklyn BM bands straddle the line between experimental, black and hardcore/punk. I can see why purists don't consider them "actual" BM. And then you got those old school dudes like Gahl or even Daniel Rosten that go  on about the only purpose of BM is the glorification of Satan LOL

That's because a lot of times it's not. I'm not trying to get all black metal elitist here, and maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that roughly 9 times out of 10, when dudes who are primarily from the punk scene decide to form a "black metal" band, their music sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's not meant as judgement on music quality. It's more just that, you can hear the primary influences in the music, and you can only dilute something so much before it becomes something entirely new.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I'm 57 and a long-time metal fan. Mostly Thrash and just what I call Metal. Well I really call it all Metal. I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I haven't gotten too deep into Black Metal. I absolutely loved Enochian Crescent (now the Crescent I guess even though the songs aren't the same or as good IMO) I'm probably picky with my music as there's a lot I just don't like or just haven't given a fair chance. 

Anyway, why I'm here. I love listening to live shows. Especially when they are engineered well and sound amazing. So YouTube algorithm does a pretty good job recommending stuff based on my history. For me watching a live show gives me a good sample of a band's music. Then listen on Spotify then purchase the albums I want to add to my Plex media server. 

Over the weekend, I discovered the Immortal show from Wacken 2007. "The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh" I've listened to this show 3 times on Spotify today!!!  

I have my Spotify recommendations, but would like opinions from the community here. Based on really digging on Immortal anything you guys recommend? (aside from the Solo projects / other bands with the members or former members of Immortal)

Thanks

Edited by xodiak
Minor addition / clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, xodiak said:

I'm 57 and a long-time metal fan. Mostly Thrash and just what I call Metal. Well I really call it all Metal. I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I haven't gotten too deep into Black Metal. I absolutely loved Enochian Crescent (now the Crescent I guess even though the songs aren't the same or as good IMO) I'm probably picky with my music as there's a lot I just don't like or just haven't given a fair chance. 

Anyway, why I'm here. I love listening to live shows. Especially when they are engineered well and sound amazing. So YouTube algorithm does a pretty good job recommending stuff based on my history. For me watching a live show gives me a good sample of a band's music. Then listen on Spotify then purchase the albums I want to add to my Plex media server. 

Over the weekend, I discovered the Immortal show from Wacken 2007. "The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh" I've listened to this show 3 times on Spotify today!!!  

I have my Spotify recommendations, but would like opinions from the community here. Based on really digging on Immortal anything you guys recommend? (aside from the Solo projects / other bands with the members or former members of Immortal)

Thanks

Off the top of my head, Rimfrost and Nordjevel play pretty much straight Immortal worship...maybe Ragnarok, Enthroned, Sorcier des Glaces or Dark Funeral if you're looking for something a bit less blatantly influenced

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, xodiak said:

I'm 57 and a long-time metal fan. Mostly Thrash and just what I call Metal. Well I really call it all Metal. I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I haven't gotten too deep into Black Metal. I absolutely loved Enochian Crescent (now the Crescent I guess even though the songs aren't the same or as good IMO) I'm probably picky with my music as there's a lot I just don't like or just haven't given a fair chance. 

Anyway, why I'm here. I love listening to live shows. Especially when they are engineered well and sound amazing. So YouTube algorithm does a pretty good job recommending stuff based on my history. For me watching a live show gives me a good sample of a band's music. Then listen on Spotify then purchase the albums I want to add to my Plex media server. 

Over the weekend, I discovered the Immortal show from Wacken 2007. "The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh" I've listened to this show 3 times on Spotify today!!!  

I have my Spotify recommendations, but would like opinions from the community here. Based on really digging on Immortal anything you guys recommend? (aside from the Solo projects / other bands with the members or former members of Immortal)

Thanks

If you think it's second wave you like, have you done a drive by the essential brick layers-besides Immortal-Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem....for me I'd also throw in Gorgoroth, Burzum Enslaved and maybe Satyricon. I'd also throw in Bathory and Celtic Frost from First Wave. Just a starting point, really...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head I would say inquisition, ancient, maybe early behemoth from around Grom, and if you’re looking for something more melodic and folky Bergtat by Ulver. Outside of that this thread should have literal pages of recommendation from one of our former users including videos, and brief descriptions of the fans in question. Hope help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...