The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Hi everyone, i had read all your posts. I was just shocked reading about how they trash all bands except those he or she likes.

Its confusing for me, and im interested very much to learn, so what music is good is what im gonna listen to, but same time i so much want to learn and know whats the reason behind things and how do they think and what can i understand from it and how can i learn and see differences between bands. For example i read something and i not remember exactly words right but i understand the example, it was something like this, if you love rock music and then a pop band comes play pop music and say we are the true rock band, this what we play is rock.

So i want try understand what sound they play or music style that this person so hard reacts to is something wrong.

I get that this whole genre is new to you and can be kind of confusing, but really the only thing to remember is that you are free to like whatever you like, no one can tell you otherwise. Black metal is a genre that attracts a lot of passionate people, some who have more than a few grudges towards bands and artists. The guys blog you linked is just one dude, he's just as unreliable as everyone else. And that second blog? That seems like just another weirdo that want to be different and contrary.

Thing is, Darkthrone is 100% one of the most influential black metal bands on the planet. They together with Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum and Emperor shaped BM to what it is today. That doesn't mean people have to like them, but like that guy to claim that Darkthrone as absolutely no musical or artistic merit is just wrong.

You do you.

So from what I've gathered you prefer high-pitched shrieks, and maybe not too melodic, well-produced black metal?

Maybe this could be something for you?

Lampof Murmuur - Wnadering through nightmares

Vargrav - Netherstorm

Svartidaudi - Revelations of the Red Sword

Edited by Sheol

41 minutes ago, Daiena said:

And also this person who make this blog and makes me lose all what i liked, he say before Darkthrone one of the real bands an here he put them together with the worst shit of black metal??

https://www.metalious.com/darkthrone/transilvanian-hunger/the-worst-shit-of-black-metal

Why are you basing what you should or should not like on what other people tell you to?  Listen to whatever you like and stop caring about what other people think about the music.  If you like music then somebody having a different opinion of it doesn't make it bad music all of a sudden.

Also, please stop linking to other blogs.  We only allow linking to YouTube and/or Bandcamp.  Thanks.

Letting other people define what you like or how you feel is the least metal thing anyone can do. Being true to yourself is the very ethos of metal, whether that's death metal, black metal, or any other flavor (except maybe glam/hair metal).

Like what you like and anyone who disagrees can fuck right off.

But nono its not that i dont understand that i should listen to what i like and not what other people say. Im not totally dumb, i know this of course. I want to learn and for learning i need study all sides no matter if its right or wrong or extreme or not, i learn this way and with time i get more deeper knowledge. If in future i will be in a discussion about this i have credits to know what i talk about and can share knowledge about things like this. If i dont care to be curious to learn about all the sides to a book how i can know anything then. I can close the book and put it back and say ohh i read just what i want but from doing this i will learn nothing.

And im soo sorry i posted link to something else than youtube or bandcamp

7 minutes ago, Daiena said:

But nono its not that i dont understand that i should listen to what i like and not what other people say. Im not totally dumb, i know this of course. I want to learn and for learning i need study all sides no matter if its right or wrong or extreme or not, i learn this way and with time i get more deeper knowledge. If in future i will be in a discussion about this i have credits to know what i talk about and can share knowledge about things like this. If i dont care to be curious to learn about all the sides to a book how i can know anything then. I can close the book and put it back and say ohh i read just what i want but from doing this i will learn nothing.

And im soo sorry i posted link to something else than youtube or bandcamp

Makes sense to me. Basically, it sounds like black metal makes you feel something that moves you which is what good music should do, it should touch something inside that cannot really be put in words. 

Now you want to learn as much about it as you can. 

You've been given a lot of great recommendations. I did the same with death metal a few years ago and got recos from guys like Goat General, Sheol, Hungariino and Navy and bought a bunch of albums.

It makes sense to learn about the various genres that people have helped you with: first wave, second wave, raw low-fi, melodic, atmospheric black, symphonic, progressive, depressive suicidal, blackened death, black and roll, black crust, blackened death doom, war metal, black thrash, folk/Pegan/Viking black metal, blackgaze, post black, NSBM, psychedelic.....blackened grind. 

The sub genres in today's metal scene is crazy but that's the way of things these days. 

The other thing is, you're getting into metal in the digital streaming age when there is more metal that comes out in any given year that it's impossible to listen to it all. You have pick and chose or spend all your free time listening which will get old after a while. There's more to life than black metal. 

I'll add to what some of the others are saying...trying to understand why other people feel the way they do towards certain bands is never going to make sense to you. You just need to accept that everyone brings their own baggage along when they listen to music and no two people are going see things exactly the same way. Even people here on this board who have similar tastes will disagree on certain bands or albums...hell, Navy and I have similar tastes in a lot of ways, but it was only a few posts back where I was saying I didn't care for Dissection's "Reinkaos" album, while Navy said he liked it. That's fine...there's no right way to listen to metal. Like I said before...it's music, don't overthink it.

As for the differences between bands...while you can read descriptions about various styles, it probably won't have a lot of meaning to you right now. That's really just something you pick up with time and experience. The more you listen to bands, the more you start to hear the things that set them apart from one another, and eventually you'll understand why one band is "atmospheric black metal" while another is considered "symphonic black metal".  

...and for the record, that Metalious site is the same dude from the first link. Don't waste your time on negative shit like that...especially when you're still trying to figure things out.

1 hour ago, Daiena said:

Okay...I think I get what you're saying now. Unfortunately, I think a lot of what you're trying to figure out is the kind of thing that really only comes with time and experience with the music, but let me see if I can help a little bit.

One of the reasons people usually tell you to start with bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and all the others is because they laid down the foundation for how black metal should sound. Now, there is a rule of thought that some black metal fans have that the music shouldn't deviate from this formula too much. The idea is that it's meant to be abrasive and unwelcoming to new listeners, so anything that moves it into a more commercial direction, say adding more melody or improving the production values, is betraying the original intent of black metal...and thus it becomes "not true black metal". The thing is, most of the time, this kind of stuff is really just based on someone's personal interpretation of what black metal is supposed to sound like, so they're pretty meaningless distinctions. That's why I think we're struggling to explain it, because what people like those dudes in the links you posted were saying, aren't really any established rule. It's just stupid bullshit by people who want to keep black metal as exclusive as possible, because they think it makes them special to be into black metal.

Now, on the other hand, there are stylistic differences within black metal, and those are things that really only become more apparent to you as you become more familiar with the music. But because of those differences, sometimes you'll see someone argue a certain band, say like Deafheaven, isn't actually black metal. Now that's something people will debate, but there is some actual, legitimate reasoning behind a claim like that. That's because a band like Deafheaven takes some of the same musical elements used in black metal, but they mix in a lot of outside influences from various other music genres. The (debatable) result is that the music they produce has actually become it's own thing, and can no longer rightly be called black metal.

So, hopefully that clears up some of what you're probably seeing around the internet

11 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Okay...I think I get what you're saying now. Unfortunately, I think a lot of what you're trying to figure out is the kind of thing that really only comes with time and experience with the music, but let me see if I can help a little bit.

One of the reasons people usually tell you to start with bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and all the others is because they laid down the foundation for how black metal should sound. Now, there is a rule of thought that some black metal fans have that the music shouldn't deviate from this formula too much. The idea is that it's meant to be abrasive and unwelcoming to new listeners, so anything that moves it into a more commercial direction, say adding more melody or improving the production values, is betraying the original intent of black metal...and thus it becomes "not true black metal". The thing is, most of the time, this kind of stuff is really just based on someone's personal interpretation of what black metal is supposed to sound like, so they're pretty meaningless distinctions. That's why I think we're struggling to explain it, because what people like those dudes in the links you posted were saying, aren't really any established rule. It's just stupid bullshit by people who want to keep black metal as exclusive as possible, because they think it makes them special to be into black metal.

Now, on the other hand, there are stylistic differences within black metal, and those are things that really only become more apparent to you as you become more familiar with the music. But because of those differences, sometimes you'll see someone argue a certain band, say like Deafheaven, isn't actually black metal. Now that's something people will debate, but there is some actual, legitimate reasoning behind a claim like that. That's because a band like Deafheaven takes some of the same musical elements used in black metal, but they mix in a lot of outside influences from various other music genres. The (debatable) result is that the music they produce has actually become it's own thing, and can no longer rightly be called black metal.

So, hopefully that clears up some of what you're probably seeing around the internet

Okey but listen i find something important. This man have give out 3 books about this and i find reviews from people who buy and reviews are bad like shit. They write he is a joke and he dump this to draw attention to his own band one say, an other say this must be a joke or scam, and he spam on forum links to his own band. So now i understand all what this is about, and i never could understand if i didnt was curious about this. This mean he talk shit for sell his books and band and i know this is one person because they say he put links everywhere and his name. So now i learn not take seriously this source i found yesterday. See how if put your mind 200% on something then be stubborn and you find out all.

33 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Thank you explain me. I want ask, in other genre it’s the same? They do this in death metal too say what is true and not?

2 hours ago, Daiena said:

Thank you explain me. I want ask, in other genre it’s the same? They do this in death metal too say what is true and not?

Sorry, just now saw this....

Metal fans in general can be very snobby about what music they consider to be metal and what music they consider to be not metal (Just web search the question "Is Ghost a metal band?" and see the arguments that have broken out), but in general, most people don't argue about whether a band is real death metal or not. The exception is probably the whole Death Metal vs Deathcore argument, but I'm not sure I could explain that in a way that would make sense.

Black metal on the other hand has always seen itself as being very elitist, even by the standards of other metal fans. The idea was that only the truest, most devoted metal fans...the people who really love heavy metal...could listen to and enjoy music that sounds this way. So the idea of "real" vs "fake" is kind of baked into the sub-culture that built up around black metal music.

These days, most fans really only talk about it in a very joking manner...about something being "kvlt" and "trve"...especially since the music has evolved and branched out in so many ways over the years. Occasionally though, you still run into some nutter traditionalist who legitimately buys into this stuff. Those people are best avoided unless you're asking for band recommendations...they're usually pretty good at that.

57 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Sorry, just now saw this....

Metal fans in general can be very snobby about what music they consider to be metal and what music they consider to be not metal (Just web search the question "Is Ghost a metal band?" and see the arguments that have broken out), but in general, most people don't argue about whether a band is real death metal or not. The exception is probably the whole Death Metal vs Deathcore argument, but I'm not sure I could explain that in a way that would make sense.

Black metal on the other hand has always seen itself as being very elitist, even by the standards of other metal fans. The idea was that only the truest, most devoted metal fans...the people who really love heavy metal...could listen to and enjoy music that sounds this way. So the idea of "real" vs "fake" is kind of baked into the sub-culture that built up around black metal music.

These days, most fans really only talk about it in a very joking manner...about something being "kvlt" and "trve"...especially since the music has evolved and branched out in so many ways over the years. Occasionally though, you still run into some nutter traditionalist who legitimately buys into this stuff. Those people are best avoided unless you're asking for band recommendations...they're usually pretty good at that.

Thanks, I feel so bad I took pills for sleeping and calm down but I feel i not good at all, like I want throw up all the time 😞 this my fun (not) saturday night…

16 minutes ago, Daiena said:

I don’t know what this genre and I think you will hate it but I really like 😍

That's a cover song that they had as a bonus track from a CD they put out a few years ago. Most of their stuff isn't that poppy. Enslaved is one of my favorite bands and some of their older albums are definitely close to "black metal" in sound and delivery if not in theme. I guess if someone had a gun to my head I would have to confess I don't think they're a black metal band, but it shouldn't matter. They embraced the idea of "Viking metal" and got more psychedelic and prog-rock influenced as they went on. No idea if you'd like any of their other stuff but if you enjoy 90s Norwegian BM you may like Vikingligr Veldi and Frost at least. 

Vikingligr Veldi:

Frost:

Although given some of the other stuff you've said you don't like so far, this might not be your cup of tea either. No worries either way.

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

The exception is probably the whole Death Metal vs Deathcore argument, but I'm not sure I could explain that in a way that would make sense.

Repulsion, Suffocation, Assück... you know, deathcore :D

3 minutes ago, zackflag said:

A lot of modern slam is actually a lot closer to hardcore than most deathcore is. Same with the new wave of "caveman" death bands. It's weird how the death metal purists give slam and the caveman stuff a free pass but deathcore is still for posers for some reason.

It's too bad the well has been poisoned by using the "-core" suffix for so much terrible music, but on the bright side it gives us an excuse to figure out something different for talking about hardcore influences... I'm thinking "hardened death metal" :D

You'll have to be more specific about which bands you're referring to when you say "caveman" death metal, as I usually think of bands like Incantation or something along those lines when I hear that term.

When I think of death metal bands that are close to hardcore, I think of stuff like Gatecreeper, or Creeping Death, which from what I've seen, only really get jocked by the more mainstream side of the metal world. Once you get outside of that, they're usually kind of disregarded for being what they are...hardcore bands playing at being death metal bands

51 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

You'll have to be more specific about which bands you're referring to when you say "caveman" death metal, as I usually think of bands like Incantation or something along those lines when I hear that term.

Yeah when I say "caveman" death metal I'm specifically referring to Maggot Stomp records (who proudly tout themselves as "caveman shit for neanderthals") and the bands associated with that style/label. Stuff like 200 Stab Wounds, Frozen Soul, Fluids and the massively overhyped golden boys... Sanguisugabogg.

8 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Yeah when I say "caveman" death metal I'm specifically referring to Maggot Stomp records (who proudly tout themselves as "caveman shit for neanderthals") and the bands associated with that style/label. Stuff like 200 Stab Wounds, Frozen Soul, Fluids and the massively overhyped golden boys... Sanguisugabogg.

Okay yeah..I see what you're saying. Probably explains why I don't particularly like a good chunk of those bands to begin with (and let me just say, Maggot Stomp seems to have really gone downhill in the last year or so), but I've always had a tough time figuring out why slam got a pass, when deathcore didn't. At least with brutal death you could see the obvious difference in the way breakdowns were used, which always seemed to be the major complaint, but slam seemed to rely on them just as heavily as deathcore

48 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Squishabug sucks. The demo was ok, but the full length felt like a bunch of filler tracks. Frozen Soul is solid Bolt Thrower worship, but forgettable.