The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Kankar - Dunkle Millennia

I keep putting this on thinking that one is a bit slow I need to scratch it off my list but then I enjoy it. German Atmospheric Black Metal according to the metal archives. It is an excellent heavy metal album that is black metal, this is good. Have soaked this one up enough times to know that I'll be keeping it. 

6 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

I keep putting this on thinking that one is a bit slow I need to scratch it off my list but then I enjoy it. German Atmospheric Black Metal according to the metal archives. It is an excellent heavy metal album that is black metal, this is good. Have soaked this one up enough times to know that I'll be keeping it. 

Merged - don't need to care about what year in BM it is and dedicate a thread to it when we have a sticky in the genre section that covers it off.  Carry on and the owner of this site is going to need to renegotiate my contract if he expects me to actually do stuff like merge threads.

43 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Merged - don't need to care about what year in BM it is and dedicate a thread to it when we have a sticky in the genre section that covers it off.  Carry on and the owner of this site is going to need to renegotiate my contract if he expects me to actually do stuff like merge threads.

Adding a reminder that new/upcoming releases go here:

21 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

Hey, I really enjoyed this one. Thanks! Kankar is "cancer" in German I think

On 4/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, navybsn said:

It's all us new kids causing trouble because we skipped out on orientation.

22 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's like reading the instructions...fuck that shit.

Well in our defense we've never had a separate section of the forum set aside just for dedicated sub-genre threads. That's completely foreign to us. 99% of our posts were made in one of two sections: Let's Talk Metal and/or Everything Else. We got used to throwing caution to the wind and mixing things up by talking about different sub-genres in the same thread and even within the same post. By contrast this place has seemingly dozens of section headers with dozens of topics each. It's hard to navigate because it's not intuitive. I'm beginning to learn my way around now but I still can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that they keep their What Are You Listening to Now thread filed under Forum Games (?) and their new 2021 release thread filed under Upcoming. We're also not used to having pedantic topic police moving our shit around and forcing us to conform to rules 'n shit. I think our sole beleaguered mod Jay might have flexed his mod powers and moved or locked maybe two threads in the entire 5 years I was there. We were given the leeway to be lawless, unruly and wanton going off topic and threadcrapping at will. Of course it goes without saying that as the newly arrived guests it behooves us to try and get on board with how they do things around here. We must be contrite and seek atonement for our sins.

Killing a goat, drinking its blood and eating it would be, fulfilling the purpose of a goat, for supreme sustenance and gaining health. Goats have nothing to do with sacrifice. To make amends to Satan one must sacrifice time and experience some boredom. Sacrifice = chanting. Giving energy to Satan is sacrifice. Like this. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:55 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well in our defense we've never had a separate section of the forum set aside just for dedicated sub-genre threads. That's completely foreign to us. 99% of our posts were made in one of two sections: Let's Talk Metal and/or Everything Else. We got used to throwing caution to the wind and mixing things up by talking about different sub-genres in the same thread and even within the same post. By contrast this place has seemingly dozens of section headers with dozens of topics each. It's hard to navigate because it's not intuitive. I'm beginning to learn my way around now but I still can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that they keep their What Are You Listening to Now thread filed under Forum Games (?) and their new 2021 release thread filed under Upcoming. We're also not used to having pedantic topic police moving our shit around and forcing us to conform to rules 'n shit. I think our sole beleaguered mod Jay might have flexed his mod powers and moved or locked maybe two threads in the entire 5 years I was there. We were given the leeway to be lawless, unruly and wanton going off topic and threadcrapping at will. Of course it goes without saying that as the newly arrived guests it behooves us to try and get on board with how they do things around here. We must be contrite and seek atonement for our sins.

It can be a lot to wade through. We had a whole reorganization planned a few years ago when we switched platforms, and for a while it looked like it might actually happen, but the admin is a busy guy and I guess we're just happy he keeps the place running behind the scenes. No apologies for being librarians here though, the place goes to the weeds pretty quickly otherwise. I only use the Activity tab anymore, unless there's something specific I'm digging for.

Well, I just had a big post disappear on refresh, so I'll have to redo the whole thing later. Don't know if anybody else experienced weird glitches and forum outages yesterday and this morning, but it seems to be resolved now. Anyway here's my favorite recent black metal album, Abigor's "Totschläger" - a surprise release late last year. Haven't put this one down for very long since it came out.

I am in the process to become a trve goat music lover. Having a long way to go still. I have been more of a death metal addict over all the previous years. So who am I to recommend any black metal? Well I give it a try and recommend latest Wesenwille. I thoroughly enjoy II: A Material God. And not because they are also Dutch... 

And I also like latest Abigor as well!

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Well, I just had a big post disappear on refresh, so I'll have to redo the whole thing later. Don't know if anybody else experienced weird glitches and forum outages yesterday and this morning, but it seems to be resolved now. Anyway here's my favorite recent black metal album, Abigor's "Totschläger" - a surprise release late last year. Haven't put this one down for very long since it came out.

Yep.  The site was inaccessible for some time...

1 hour ago, JohanV said:

I am in the process to become a trve goat music lover. Having a long way to go still. I have been more of a death metal addict over all the previous years. So who am I to recommend any black metal? Well I give it a try and recommend latest Wesenwille. I thoroughly enjoy II: A Material God. And not because they are also Dutch... 

Hmm.  I gave this a quick listen and passed.  I will listen again.

3 hours ago, JohanV said:

Come learn the ways of the goat good Johan. We have cookies.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:31 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hahaha, raping their instruments with no thought of making music, just some trash thrown together, eh?

I think if you were to listen a little closer you might find there are indeed many musical ideas present in most black metal. But it's not for everyone I suppose.

This sounds melodic as fuck to me. Probably my favorite black metal album of the last decade. A masterpiece of lush soundscapes. Couldn't get enough of this one back in '15. It's not black & roll like Satyricon though so be warned.

You and I have a very different idea of what music is. Comparing this album to what I'm listening to right now (Belphegor - a friend told me about them, he said they were black metal), they're a lot closer to the idea of music. RN I'm listening to their 1994 song "The last supper" and I have a feeling I'm gonna like the rest of their music. Or the most of it anyway.

Funny, out of all the bands you could have used as an example of a more musically oriented black metal band, you threw out Belphegor's name. I've bought a few of their albums, must be a little over a decade ago now but ultimately they have not stuck in the rotation. Yeah they could be considered black metal but I would probably say more like blackened death. But whichever sub you want to stick them in, even I would have to say their tedious blast heavy sound can get tiresome after a short while.

I've heard this record before but I have thrown on 1995's The Last Supper here to refresh my memory. I'm not saying they're not a good band, they're alright I guess, in fact I'm actually enjoying their debut atm, but I'm only 6 tracks in. If I were to play 2 or 3 of their albums back to back I think I'd remember how they're a bit of a one trick pony. I don't see what sets these dudes apart musically from the legions of other black metal bands that you claim are just raping their instruments.

Because if you were to make a chart for all the black metal and blackened death bands that have ever released an album and asked average metal listeners to rank each band on their overall level of musicality with one side of the chart being extremely musical and the other side representing instrument raping, I would imagine most listeners would place these Austrians pretty far over to the instrument raping side. Not as close to the edge as most war metal bands and other very extreme black metal bands, I'm saying just relative to your average 2nd wave influenced 21st century black metal bands Belphegor wouldn't land very close to the median.

Again, I'm not berating or disparaging Belphegor, not at all. Like I said I am enjoying this album. I'm just saying that I find them an extremely odd choice for a band to support an argument that most black metal bands are merely raping their instruments with no thought of making actual music, but these blasty Austrian dudes over here with songs like Impalement Without Mercy, and Drowned in Excrement break the mold and are some kind of a wonderfully musical exception.

6 hours ago, Valso said:

You and I have a very different idea of what music is. Comparing this album to what I'm listening to right now (Belphegor - a friend told me about them, he said they were black metal), they're a lot closer to the idea of music. RN I'm listening to their 1994 song "The last supper" and I have a feeling I'm gonna like the rest of their music. Or the most of it anyway.

You need to check out some good Finblack. Totally change your opinion on black metal. A few classics to get you started:

Sargeist - Let the Devil In

Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas (their whole discography is fucking excellent)

Saturnian Mist - Chaos Magick

Ordinance - Reliquishment

Impaled Nazarene - Latex Cult

Satanic Warmaster - Strength and Honor

Horna - Black Metal Warfare

Warloghe - Pestilence and Warfare

Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan

Oath - Mustan Liekin Veljeskunta

Don't get me started on Archgoat, but definitely check them out.

And the granddaddy of all Finblack - Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon (mandatory listening)

Or if you like the more melodic stuff, Sweden is your joint:

Dawn - Slaughtersun (if you don't like this album nothing can help you)

Dissection of course

Armagedda - Only True Believers

Avsky - Scorn

Svartsyn - ...His Majesty

Or just go listen to Bathory. The Return is a good place to start. Chase that with Blood Fire Death. Quothorn basically invented black metal as we know it (yeah yeah Venom, I know...)

Plenty of other excellent black metal scenes around the world. Germany and Poland are standouts. Don't overlook the French, South America, Greece, or the US either. There is so much variety in black metal it's astonishing. Really something for everyone. I certainly wouldn't recommend basing opinions on Belphegor.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

You need to check out some good Finblack. Totally change your opinion on black metal. A few classics to get you started:

Sargeist - Let the Devil In

Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas (their whole discography is fucking excellent)

Saturnian Mist - Chaos Magick

Ordinance - Reliquishment

Impaled Nazarene - Latex Cult

Satanic Warmaster - Strength and Honor

Horna - Black Metal Warfare

Warloghe - Pestilence and Warfare

Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan

Oath - Mustan Liekin Veljeskunta

Don't get me started on Archgoat, but definitely check them out.

And the granddaddy of all Finblack - Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon (mandatory listening)

Or if you like the more melodic stuff, Sweden is your joint:

Dawn - Slaughtersun (if you don't like this album nothing can help you)

Dissection of course

Armagedda - Only True Believers

Avsky - Scorn

Svartsyn - ...His Majesty

Or just go listen to Bathory. The Return is a good place to start. Chase that with Blood Fire Death. Quothorn basically invented black metal as we know it (yeah yeah Venom, I know...)

Plenty of other excellent black metal scenes around the world. Germany and Poland are standouts. Don't overlook the French, South America, Greece, or the US either. There is so much variety in black metal it's astonishing. Really something for everyone. I certainly wouldn't recommend basing opinions on Belphegor.

Don't forget Goatmoon or Ride for Revenge!

Oh yeah, he's gonna love Ride for Revenge. Maybe some Bloodhammer, Barathrum or Black Mass Pervertor. Don't leave out Diaboli, Anal Blasphemy, Black Dawn, Forgjord, Lathspell, Sielunhollinen, Aegrus, Marras, Keres, Vargrav, Hautakammio, Korgunthurus...there's so many.

But for me the grand wizards of Finblack have been Azaghal for a long time now. Can't believe my boy Navy left them out. 

Well Archgoat are the true Kings of Finland but for 2nd wave stuff it's Azaghal.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Oh yeah, he's gonna love Ride for Revenge. Maybe some Bloodhammer, Barathrum or Black Mass Pervertor. Don't leave out Diaboli, Anal Blasphemy, Black Dawn, Forgjord, Lathspell, Sielunhollinen, Aegrus, Marras, Keres, Vargrav, Hautakammio, Korgunthurus...there's so many.

But for me the grand wizards of Finblack have been Azaghal for a long time now. Can't believe my boy Navy left them out. 

Well Archgoat are the true Kings of Finland but for 2nd wave stuff it's Azaghal.

I can't believe I left them out either. Great band.

And I do do like DDTM. It's a classic. Yeah it's aged poorly, the keyboards always sound cheesy as fuck to me. But if you want to understand black metal, it's mandatory listening.