The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

I remember that American black metal was pretty much considered a joke here in Sweden for a long, long time. Only band that was kind of respected was Absu and maybe Von (though they were quite obscure). Of course things have gotten a lot better this side of the 20th. The one-man bands from the US like Xastur, Leviathan, Krieg were quite different from the Scandinavian scenes, more punk-influence and mental illness. Then it felt like there started to crop a new wave of band that found their footing in atmo-black, and later the whole Cascadian tree-hippie wave. And now we're back to the one-man band thing but this time raw BM.

4 hours ago, Sheol said:

I remember that American black metal was pretty much considered a joke here in Sweden for a long, long time. Only band that was kind of respected was Absu and maybe Von (though they were quite obscure). Of course things have gotten a lot better this side of the 20th. The one-man bands from the US like Xastur, Leviathan, Krieg were quite different from the Scandinavian scenes, more punk-influence and mental illness. Then it felt like there started to crop a new wave of band that found their footing in atmo-black, and later the whole Cascadian tree-hippie wave. And now we're back to the one-man band thing but this time raw BM.

Seems a number of so called New York or Brooklyn BM bands straddle the line between experimental, black and hardcore/punk. I can see why purists don't consider them "actual" BM. And then you got those old school dudes like Gahl or even Daniel Rosten that go  on about the only purpose of BM is the glorification of Satan LOL

1 hour ago, markm said:

Seems a number of so called New York or Brooklyn BM bands straddle the line between experimental, black and hardcore/punk. I can see why purists don't consider them "actual" BM. And then you got those old school dudes like Gahl or even Daniel Rosten that go  on about the only purpose of BM is the glorification of Satan LOL

That's because a lot of times it's not. I'm not trying to get all black metal elitist here, and maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that roughly 9 times out of 10, when dudes who are primarily from the punk scene decide to form a "black metal" band, their music sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's not meant as judgement on music quality. It's more just that, you can hear the primary influences in the music, and you can only dilute something so much before it becomes something entirely new.

• 3 months later...

I'm 57 and a long-time metal fan. Mostly Thrash and just what I call Metal. Well I really call it all Metal. I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I haven't gotten too deep into Black Metal. I absolutely loved Enochian Crescent (now the Crescent I guess even though the songs aren't the same or as good IMO) I'm probably picky with my music as there's a lot I just don't like or just haven't given a fair chance. 

Anyway, why I'm here. I love listening to live shows. Especially when they are engineered well and sound amazing. So YouTube algorithm does a pretty good job recommending stuff based on my history. For me watching a live show gives me a good sample of a band's music. Then listen on Spotify then purchase the albums I want to add to my Plex media server. 

Over the weekend, I discovered the Immortal show from Wacken 2007. "The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh" I've listened to this show 3 times on Spotify today!!!  

I have my Spotify recommendations, but would like opinions from the community here. Based on really digging on Immortal anything you guys recommend? (aside from the Solo projects / other bands with the members or former members of Immortal)

Thanks

Edited by xodiak
Minor addition / clarification

3 hours ago, xodiak said:

I'm 57 and a long-time metal fan. Mostly Thrash and just what I call Metal. Well I really call it all Metal. I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I haven't gotten too deep into Black Metal. I absolutely loved Enochian Crescent (now the Crescent I guess even though the songs aren't the same or as good IMO) I'm probably picky with my music as there's a lot I just don't like or just haven't given a fair chance. 

Anyway, why I'm here. I love listening to live shows. Especially when they are engineered well and sound amazing. So YouTube algorithm does a pretty good job recommending stuff based on my history. For me watching a live show gives me a good sample of a band's music. Then listen on Spotify then purchase the albums I want to add to my Plex media server. 

Over the weekend, I discovered the Immortal show from Wacken 2007. "The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh" I've listened to this show 3 times on Spotify today!!!  

I have my Spotify recommendations, but would like opinions from the community here. Based on really digging on Immortal anything you guys recommend? (aside from the Solo projects / other bands with the members or former members of Immortal)

Thanks

Off the top of my head, Rimfrost and Nordjevel play pretty much straight Immortal worship...maybe Ragnarok, Enthroned, Sorcier des Glaces or Dark Funeral if you're looking for something a bit less blatantly influenced

6 hours ago, xodiak said:

Thanks

If you think it's second wave you like, have you done a drive by the essential brick layers-besides Immortal-Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem....for me I'd also throw in Gorgoroth, Burzum Enslaved and maybe Satyricon. I'd also throw in Bathory and Celtic Frost from First Wave. Just a starting point, really...

Off the top of my head I would say inquisition, ancient, maybe early behemoth from around Grom, and if you’re looking for something more melodic and folky Bergtat by Ulver. Outside of that this thread should have literal pages of recommendation from one of our former users including videos, and brief descriptions of the fans in question. Hope help

• 1 month later...

Yeah that Nyctophilia is solid Polish black metal. Good shit.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:47 PM, markm said:

If you think it's second wave you like, have you done a drive by the essential brick layers - besides Immortal-Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem....for me I'd also throw in Gorgoroth, Burzum Enslaved and maybe Satyricon. I'd also throw in Bathory and Celtic Frost from First Wave. Just a starting point, really...

Gave me a mental image of a corpse painted black metal band outside on a hot day sweating their makeup off as they build an impenetrable brick wall. 

A Bricklayer Standing Drawing by Mary Evans Picture Library | Fine Art  America

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been around 10 months since I’ve posted on here last, I have popped in a few times (albeit very briefly) since then, but sometimes life gets in the way of doing what you really love. 

I’ve got almost a years worth of music to catch up on in the BM genre, give me some recommendations!

55 minutes ago, BMB said:

It’s been around 10 months since I’ve posted on here last, I have popped in a few times (albeit very briefly) since then, but sometimes life gets in the way of doing what you really love. 

I’ve got almost a years worth of music to catch up on in the BM genre, give me some recommendations!

Black Metal Billy!! Was wondering just the other day where the hell you've been and if you'd be back. 

Here are some of my black metal favorites from this year so far. This oughtta get you started. Hopefully you should be able to find something you like out of these:

Serpentshrine - Allegiance to the Myth  bm Norfolk VA
Serpentfyre  - Baptism of Shadows  Finland 
Grimtone - Polaris  bm Sweden
Calderum - Mystical Fortress of Iberian Lands rbm Spain
Cerberus - Unrelenting Chaos rbm Quincy Mass
Vaamatar - Medievalgeist USBM
Ultra Silvam - The Sanctity of Death Sweden
Aara - Triade II: Hemera  Switzerland
Wiegedood - There's Always Blood at the End of the Road  bm Belgium
Drudensang - Tuiflsrijtt  bm Germany
Mara - Loka Mær   bm Sweden
Heidnir - Jenseits des Kosmos, bm Austria
Vimur - Transcendental Violence  bm Atlanta GA
Storm Kvlt - Europas Weg zum Grab  bm Germany
Eldritch - I Shall Raise My Burning Sword  UK
Glemsel - Forfader  bm Denmark
Wampyrinacht - Night of the Desecration  bm Greece
Akerbeltz - Merciless   bm Spain
Black Winged Goat Messiah - Satanic Morbid Lust  bm Cuba
Heidnir - Jenseits des Kosmos   bm Austria
Order of Nosferat - Nachtmusik   bm Germany/Finland
Heinous - Ritual, Blood and Mysterious Dawn   bm Belgium
Vital Spirit - Still as the Night, Cold as the Wind  rbm Vancouver, BC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 12:20 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Black Metal Billy!! Was wondering just the other day where the hell you've been and if you'd be back. 

Here are some of my black metal favorites from this year so far. This oughtta get you started. Hopefully you should be able to find something you like out of these:

Serpentshrine - Allegiance to the Myth  bm Norfolk VA
Serpentfyre  - Baptism of Shadows  Finland 
Grimtone - Polaris  bm Sweden
Calderum - Mystical Fortress of Iberian Lands rbm Spain
Cerberus - Unrelenting Chaos rbm Quincy Mass
Vaamatar - Medievalgeist USBM
Ultra Silvam - The Sanctity of Death Sweden
Aara - Triade II: Hemera  Switzerland
Wiegedood - There's Always Blood at the End of the Road  bm Belgium
Drudensang - Tuiflsrijtt  bm Germany
Mara - Loka Mær   bm Sweden
Heidnir - Jenseits des Kosmos, bm Austria
Vimur - Transcendental Violence  bm Atlanta GA
Storm Kvlt - Europas Weg zum Grab  bm Germany
Eldritch - I Shall Raise My Burning Sword  UK
Glemsel - Forfader  bm Denmark
Wampyrinacht - Night of the Desecration  bm Greece
Akerbeltz - Merciless   bm Spain
Black Winged Goat Messiah - Satanic Morbid Lust  bm Cuba
Heidnir - Jenseits des Kosmos   bm Austria
Order of Nosferat - Nachtmusik   bm Germany/Finland
Heinous - Ritual, Blood and Mysterious Dawn   bm Belgium
Vital Spirit - Still as the Night, Cold as the Wind  rbm Vancouver, BC

I’ve been busy but I’m slowly working my way through your list. My weekend looks free so I should make a big dent in it. So far there has been a couple of potential purchases.

3 hours ago, BMB said:

I’ve been busy but I’m slowly working my way through your list. My weekend looks free so I should make a big dent in it. So far there has been a couple of potential purchases.

Take your time Black Metal Billy. This is what I've added to my list since July. Happy hunting.

Nocturnal Sorcery - The Holy Law in Total Ruin  Finland
Shadow's Mortuary - Unohdettu Maa  Finland
Zepar - Sepulchral Voice Of Darkness  Finland
White Rune - Dawn of the White Rune  Finland
Order of Nosferat - Nachtmusik
Necrohell - Possessed by Nocturnal Grimness
Daemon of Oa - Hesperian Shores  Greece
Atra Mors - Morbid Killers and Other Deaths in Music
Fogos - Corpses and Ashes
Mork - Den Svevende Festning