The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

7 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

A specific vocal sound. Like Sheol said, it seems like you enjoy the higher-pitched, screechy/shrieky vocals more and you don't like the mid-range raspy/croaky vocals as much. There isn't a specific subgenre name for black metal with only the higher-pitched vocals, if that's what you mean, that vocal style can be found over different styles of black metal and even stuff outside of black metal, like screamo and grindcore. Not trying to confuse you or make fun of you here, I think you're best served by just keeping on listening to more music and discovering more about what you like. You might even find yourself coming back to things you didn't like at first, like I said earlier, that happens all the time for me.

Ohh its called grindcore i knew it was something but noone wanted say me this before!

Not worry if make fun beacuse i know my english is not good and this is because i have only learned from movies and from reading in internet, many here where i live dont know english at all so i not care for this what he say.

49 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

A specific vocal sound. Like Sheol said, it seems like you enjoy the higher-pitched, screechy/shrieky vocals more and you don't like the mid-range raspy/croaky vocals as much. There isn't a specific subgenre name for black metal with only the higher-pitched vocals, if that's what you mean, that vocal style can be found over different styles of black metal and even stuff outside of black metal, like screamo and grindcore. Not trying to confuse you or make fun of you here, I think you're best served by just keeping on listening to more music and discovering more about what you like. You might even find yourself coming back to things you didn't like at first, like I said earlier, that happens all the time for me.

I just find Immortal album Northern Chaos Gods have this sound that i like,

11 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Gravitatening metal is the heaviest of all metal. It has been known to clear jam rooms by imploding the band members to a singularity. You don't wanna mess with that until you've mastered at least level 3 death metal and level 2 blackened thrash.

HAHAHAH sooooooooooo funny you are *not*

3 hours ago, Daiena said:

Ok he makes fun of me. 

No, no not at all, I was just being silly. I'm very happy you are on the forums. We like to joke around. Don't take me seriously. I was making fun of the extreme metal vocals. Because they are ridiculous. But like Mick Jagger said, It's only rock and roll but I like it. 

But on the subject of death metal vocals, I think this may be the first growled vocals  way back to 1966 with The Who. 

2 hours ago, Daiena said:

Ohh its called grindcore i knew it was something but noone wanted say me this before!

Not worry if make fun beacuse i know my english is not good and this is because i have only learned from movies and from reading in internet, many here where i live dont know english at all so i not care for this what he say.

You're actually doing fine with your English...just remember, no matter how bad you think you're doing with it, it's still far better than almost any of us would be able to do trying to speak your language

...and Grindcore is actually a separate genre of metal, which tends to take a lot of influences from punk. It's a different thing the way black metal and death metal are different things

All the bands that you posted before, both the ones with vocals you like and the ones with vocals you didn't like are still black metal bands. The vocal differences don't have any specific names...

...I'm not sure what other music you listen to, but think of it like this...even though Katy Perry and Taylor Swift both make pop music, they don't necessarily sound exactly the same, but just because each of their vocals sound a bit different doesn't mean there's a specific name for the way they each sing...Same goes for black metal vocals. All those bands are playing black metal, there's just some variety in the way their singers do the vocals.

The things that separate one style of black metal from another go beyond just vocals..it's production, it's the type of instruments, it's the themes in the music, it's the kind of riffs they use. All that works together in a way that people will classify it as one type or another.

44 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

You're actually doing fine with your English...just remember, no matter how bad you think you're doing with it, it's still far better than almost any of us would be able to do trying to speak your language

...and Grindcore is actually a separate genre of metal, which tends to take a lot of influences from punk. It's a different thing the way black metal and death metal are different things

All the bands that you posted before, both the ones with vocals you like and the ones with vocals you didn't like are still black metal bands. The vocal differences don't have any specific names...

...I'm not sure what other music you listen to, but think of it like this...even though Katy Perry and Taylor Swift both make pop music, they don't necessarily sound exactly the same, but just because each of their vocals sound a bit different doesn't mean there's a specific name for the way they each sing...Same goes for black metal vocals. All those bands are playing black metal, there's just some variety in the way their singers do the vocals.

The things that separate one style of black metal from another go beyond just vocals..it's production, it's the type of instruments, it's the themes in the music, it's the kind of riffs they use. All that works together in a way that people will classify it as one type or another.

Then I understand thank you. And also ty for say nice things also

10 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

You're actually doing fine with your English...just remember, no matter how bad you think you're doing with it, it's still far better than almost any of us would be able to do trying to speak your language.

Surge is just being kind. The honest truth is this girl speaks and appears to understand English better than some native English speakers I've seen here on this forum. Which leads me to wonder if "she" could be trolling us. But that could just be the cynical New Yorker in me talking. We have no idea what her native language is anyway she has not volunteered any info. Not that it really matters, the way I see it any black metal discussion is preferable to the alternative.

Either way it is pretty funny though watching a dozen middle aged men falling all over themselves trying to explain the intricasies and nuance of black metal vocals to a young girl from points unknown. I do hope she finds what she's looking for before the cookie monster gets her or she implodes to a singularity (whatever the fuck that means).

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Which leads me to wonder if "she" could be trolling us.

I am really sorry for i founded this music what i like and come here for learn me more and ask questions about all what i want to learn, think this about me whatever you want i dont care i know what i come here for and this was the music i find and also talk to others to like same music as i find. If someone more new comes here and you say shit to them that they are this troll they will not talk anymore because you put in here same saying as someone is play games not be honest just be troll and put on shame this person like you put on me. What i have done for this really?? I ask questions about this for me new intreset i have find and you put shit open to all for read that "she could be trolling us" okey no problem for me, i listen alone my music and if i in future have questions i will find me new forum where i can be welcome. I no need anyone no matter in internet or in real say to me shit when i have not do anything but for this i thank you for make me sure more why i hate people for make shit talk when i do nothing for this. So take this about she could be trolling us and put somewere and to who have been nice to me i say thank you for what you learned me and for you who say shit about me i am from east europa and i have learn my english myself we dont learn in school same as in other country this i give out from me more than you really worth. I hope nobody new comes here and think they find a place and someone like you come talk shit that they are troll, its no matter if you say ohh i just said could be i not say you are but this same fucking thing to make other think bad about me.

And also i never beg anyone for accept me an i never beg anyone forgive me and i never forgive anyone who say shit on me, even if you care nothing about this what i say you will see karma is not story an i sure 100% it get back to you when you not even think about this in future. I dont know who are you but i will send my best to ask karma get to you in worst way and this have be true for other people before so i very sure it will be true for you also, know that another person wishing you the worst back even if you not belive this person and never see this person, this person is me and you make big mistake to put shit on me what is not true at all, you see this in future i promis you. So you can really really fuck off and i have nothing more to say.

Daiena, you're English is very good considering you weren't taught in school. I was just joking earlier in my post with The Cookie Monster. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. 

Later in life if you ever take an English class and read Shakespeare, there is a very famous line from the play, Hamlet. It goes like this,

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Yeah...I can't imagine why. It's not like anyone was accusing her of trolling or picking at something she was clearly kind of insecure about 🙄

I mean, fuck...even if by some chance they were some dude in Detroit laughing at us, wasn't like they were disrupting the board or anything. That was like burning down the house to kill a spider

8 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Yeah...I can't imagine why. It's not like anyone was accusing her of trolling or picking at something she was clearly kind of insecure about 🙄

I mean, fuck...even if by some chance they were some dude in Detroit laughing at us, wasn't like they were disrupting the board or anything. That was like burning down the house to kill a spider

Agreed.  Her response was disproportionate though even though she was more than baited for no good reason.  Let's put it down to experience this time.

I regret the comments I made in jest. I  completely underestimated her fragility. Clearly there are a host of other issues, baggage trauma or what have you for the level of reactiveness she displayed. 

Like GG said, a  number of us are middle aged and in all likelihood predominantly middle class guys who were engaging with a young woman of unknown background (I mean, on some level none of us know anything about each other except those that have met IRL) and I probably go into online dialogs with expectations of shared values or assumptions of the rules of the road or "code of conduct"  I shouldn't. Live and learn lesson for me going forward......

3 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

It wasn't about what you see here, she got banned for a couple of other more abusive comments further down that I had to remove. Can't say she didn't warn us. It might have ended up this way no matter what, she was obviously on a hair trigger here, but it still sucks to have it go this way. More so because she's new to it and seems genuinely interested. 

Alright well I'd say it's time to get this thread back on track...

I've noticed that my black metal collection is rather lacking in German bands so I'd love remedy that and hear get German BM recco's. Most of the BM stuff from Germany that I've heard I have really liked. I love Nagelfar, they're one of my all time fav's and I've got stuff from Totenwache, Farsot, Dauþuz, Evil Warriors and a few others, all of which I quite enjoy.

4 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Alright well I'd say it's time to get this thread back on track...

I've noticed that my black metal collection is rather lacking in German bands so I'd love remedy that and hear get German BM recco's. Most of the BM stuff from Germany that I've heard I have really liked. I love Nagelfar, they're one of my all time fav's and I've got stuff from Totenwache, Farsot, Dauþuz, Evil Warriors and a few others, all of which I quite enjoy.

A few I enjoy from Germany below:

Fyrnask - VII - Kenoma (2021)

Imperium Dekadenz - Dämmerung der Szenarien (2007)

Nargaroth - Herbstleyd (1998)

Shrine of Insanabilis - Disciples of the Void (2013)

Sun Worship - Elder Giants (2014)

Verheerer - Maltrér (2018)

Tons of killer German black metal

Erz - Erz

Schrat - Alptraumgänger

Bilwis - Sagenwelt

Abkehr - In Blut

Gråinheim - Hexndeifl

Sarkrista - Summoners of the Serpents Wrath

Magoth - Anti Terrestrial Black Metal

Eternal Alchemist - Invocation of the Black Flames

Morrigan - Enter the Sea of Flames

Graven - Perished and Forgotten

Vargsang - In the Mist of Night 

Reign In Blood - Missa Pro Defunctis

Well glad to see we're back on track and that I wasn't alone with my suspicions.

Anyway, what have you guys got for USBM? It certainly seen a bit of growth very recently (the Lamp of Murmur types). A few I like and connect with, but it seems very hit or miss. I did a deep dive into the classics last year and while there is no distinct US sound, there's definitely a vibe to older USBM that I don't get from most of the newer projects which seem to clone the Scandinavian sound almost exclusively.

Standouts to me from my research:

Absu

Black Witchery

Demoncy

Profanatica

Weakling

Early Xasthur

Cobalt

Recluse

Some Nachmystium

Krieg

Judas Iscariot

Wind of the Black Mountains

I'm sure none of those would come as a surprise to anyone here. That said, I know there are other scenes now that are drastically different, but are there any newer bands putting out music in the same vein as those above and not just aping the European bands?

Or, are there other US bands putting out interesting music that may not fall in with the aforementioned but still don't sound like European stereotypes? There are some obvious ones (Panopticon, Wolves in the Throne Room), but deeper cuts we may not be aware of. I know it's not a deep field, but I'm sure you guys have favorites I can investigate.