The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

15 minutes ago, markm said:

No definitely not all. When I say the classics I just mean the original older albums and bands-Darkthrone, Bathory, Burzum  Immortal, Enslaved, Satyricon, Gorgoroth etc. 

Many continue but have changed their sound. Most bands in all of metal start young and heavier and then get less heavy as they age.  Some go more progressive and some stop playing metal and play more of a form of heavy rock. Some stay heavy but most change their style somewhat. 

But you know....new young bands come along every year. That's how it goes. 

Ok I will see then what is good. I read Burzum made album 2020 so maybe he makes new this year? The one he made 2020 is I don’t know what but sounds like relax music for yoga not metal. Also I hope Satanic Warmaster make new I read he not make since 2015. Maybe sound is best original from 80 and 90 and today is shit only? I was not born in 90 but I think maybe this is true. I love perfume and I always try find old bottle from 90s before I buy new because all new what I like they have make so weak like nothing. The old from 90s if I can find I promise they so much stronger and last 24 hours an new bottle last maybe 6 hours then it’s smells so little no one can smell it. From old bottle I spray me in morning and i evening all can smell it. This because they have started make shit because they say eu rules and many people allergic to perfume but they was not allergic in 1990?? I think this same with cars and music because a neighbor he old man he have car from 1990 something and he say today car will not last sale long. 

I want say something, when die many people believe will be life after dead but why we humans so much important that after die something wonderful will wait. Same like star ️ in sky that falls and die, this star will not go in heaven paradise, it just burn out and disappear. Maybe same with humans. This make depression so everyone think only about what eat today and what clothes wear tomorrow and if milk in store is good or if it’s old. No one want to think what be later and if so they go so sad that they imagine it waits something fantastic in next life. So if there is nothing then how we everyday can live and not be in big depression about all ends? This because brain make defense when too much pain and start focus on things like shopping or planning vacation. So if think about this honest thinking then we have nothing. This how my thinking

Well yes, there is one explanation of religion that says, humans are the only animals aware of our mortality as far as we know-I just mean we know we are going to die-so we create religion to keep from going insane. Something like that-Freud I believe. It's all mythology Daiena. The only thing I know-is no one really knows. Until that day comes, we have metal-haha

7 minutes ago, markm said:

Well yes, there is one explanation of religion that says, humans are the only animals aware of our mortality as far as we know-I just mean we know we are going to die-so we create religion to keep from going insane. Something like that-Freud I believe. It's all mythology Daiena. The only thing I know-is no one really knows. Until that day comes, we have metal-haha

Mhm you are right. 
Happy we have metal.

So why haven’t anyone told me about Spectral Wound? Their album A diabolic thirst is really really good. I will see how their other albums are but wow I love this already.

12 minutes ago, Daiena said:

Mhm you are right. 
Happy we have metal.

So why haven’t anyone told me about Spectral Wound? Their album A diabolic thirst is really really good. I will see how their other albums are but wow I love this already.

If you're interested in finding more new stuff, the upcoming album threads for last year and this year are worth looking through. They'll have a mix of everything but several of the regulars focus on stuff that might appeal to you.

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If you're interested in finding more new stuff, the upcoming album threads for last year and this year are worth looking through. They'll have a mix of everything but several of the regulars focus on stuff that might appeal to you.

Oh cool, I will absolutely take a look. 

Think I mentioned before, but Werwolf (the guy behind Satanic Warmaster) is involved with a bunch of bands beyond just Satanic Warmaster...this is just a few of them:

Knife

Orlok

Vargrav

White Death (very similar sound to Satanic Warmaster)

Satanist Terrorist

Grieve

Plus he runs his own record label, which puts out some great bands as well

I think about something, could maybe be good to make a list for what is pure black metal and what is mix with something else?

Because i have listen to some albums and sometimes i dont like it, and then when search the band or album i see reviews write that its more trash than black metal on this and that album, or its a mix with punk more than raw black metal, I read some complain Darkthrone a blaze in the northern sky is not so traditional black metal as other album from them, it has death metal sounds almost, but if this is 100% true i dont know..

Everything has been influenced by something else, and everything is mixed with something else. Every album in a given sub-genre does not have to sound exactly alike as if they're copying each other, that'd be boring. Take it from a so-called 'purist' the concept of 'purity' in black metal is imposible to define anyway so therefore it's totally pointless.

Blaze was one of the earlier Nordic 2nd wave black metal albums being released in March 1992, but they still had vestiges of their original death metal sound remaining. Their previous and first album Soulside Journey had been death metal. But yet to me Blaze is one of the best black metal albums from the early 90's and one of my top 25 albums of all time. I really wouldn't worry so much about what's pure, and what other people say about albums and bands, especially now when you're just learning what's what and what you like. You need to hear for yourself so you can learn.

You're young so you have plenty of time, try stuff out, grab ahold of what you like and leave the rest. The real and most important test of any album is do you like it or not. Who cares which sub-genres it mixes? Don't limit yourself, because if you exclude too much from your explorations then you might miss out on something that you really like a lot. I've always found that bands that can blend various sub-genres together successfully can make some of the best and most interesting music.

Also wanted to say that just because most people will be trying to point you to the originators and the classics of the genre doesn't mean you can't listen to current stuff as well because as far as I'm concerned the modern black metal stuff beats all that early 90's stuff all day long. You can start wherever you want, jump around between the different eras, you don't have to listen to everything in the same order in which it was released.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Everything has been influenced by something else, and everything is mixed with something else. Every album in a given sub-genre does not have to sound exactly alike as if they're copying each other, that'd be boring. Take it from a so-called 'purist' the concept of 'purity' in black metal is imposible to define anyway so therefore it's totally pointless.

Blaze was one of the earlier Nordic 2nd wave black metal albums being released in March 1992, but they still had vestiges of their original death metal sound remaining. Their previous and first album Soulside Journey had been death metal. But yet to me Blaze is one of the best black metal albums from the early 90's and one of my top 25 albums of all time. I really wouldn't worry so much about what's pure, and what other people say about albums and bands, especially now when you're just learning what's what and what you like. You need to hear for yourself so you can learn.

You're young so you have plenty of time, try stuff out, grab ahold of what you like and leave the rest. The real and most important test of any album is do you like it or not. Who cares which sub-genres it mixes? Don't limit yourself, because if you exlude too much from your explorations then you might miss out on something that you really like a lot. I've always found that bands that can blend various sub-genres together successfully can make some of the best and most interesting music.

Also wanted to say that just because most people will be trying to point you to the originators and the classics of the genre doesn't mean you can't listen to current stuff as well because as far as I'm concerned the modern black metal stuff beats all that early 90's stuff all day long. You can start wherever you want, jump around between the different eras, you don't have to listen to everything in the same order in which it was released.

Okey thank you 😎

But know something? I like Burzum better than Mayhem, Emperor and Darkthrone. This is strange because they write everywhere Darkthrone is number 1 and almost all people agree but me I don’t know.

I force myself to start now with first wave like Bathory and Hellhammer for learn but I don’t feel so happy when I force me to do things so I will listen to you and look for how new sounds. 

I think you need to stop thinking it's strange to have your own opinions on things. That's not strange at all D, that's the way it's supposed to be, you're not always going to agree with everything you hear or read. Don't listen to anyone that's trying to tell you how or what to think. Make up your own mind and think for yourself always. 

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I think you need to stop thinking it's strange to have your own opinions on things. That's not strange at all D, that's the way it's supposed to be, you're not always going to agree with everything you hear or read. Don't listen to anyone that's trying to tell you how or what to think. Make up your own mind and think for yourself always. 

Ok i try i try.

My personal opinion is that early Darkthrone were both foundational and great, but the Norwegian band I really connected with the most was Emperor. The grand, symphonic flair and Ihsahn's weird vocals always worked great for me. We all have differnt tastes, and there's nothing saying you have to love what others praise. Most people, even here on the boards, think Death, Dissection and AC/DC are great bands, I think they are all uninteresting to me. And that's fine.

Though if I were to find myself in Australia I would never slag off AC/DC, that'd be suicide lol

Please help me with this, im so confused and i cant find any answer when i google for 2 days.

I give songs example what makes makes me really think that black metal is not for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0bN0NIxRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVA-bHiONsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8ybZpBpRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4axMxpf5s

Most black metal songs is like this. Like cookie monster death metal sound and singing that i dont like.

But... now totally different sound and i absolutely love these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRQdcUm5ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngr8iNMS1rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wry9G6rcdQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ff3fHS13FU

So i think this must be 2 different genre because they are so different but what type?

1 hour ago, Daiena said:

Please help me with this, im so confused and i cant find any answer when i google for 2 days.

I give songs example what makes makes me really think that black metal is not for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0bN0NIxRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVA-bHiONsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8ybZpBpRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4axMxpf5s

Most black metal songs is like this. Like cookie monster death metal sound and singing that i dont like.

But... now totally different sound and i absolutely love these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRQdcUm5ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngr8iNMS1rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wry9G6rcdQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ff3fHS13FU

So i think this must be 2 different genre because they are so different but what type?

I don't think Immortal or Emperor fall into the death metal vocals-category at all. When I think cookie monster I think of bands like Suffocation and Morbid Angel.

Suffocation - Abomination reborn

All those bands you losted are black metal, they just employ different types of vocals. Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem all use a kinda harsh, croaking style. Like a frog with mental problems.

The other bands that you liked like Spectral Wound and Behexen use a more screeching type of sound. Like a cat with mental problems. It's all black metal, just different styles of singing and different styles of music.

Like, this is black metal, but of the more symphonic type.

Limbonic Art  - Through gleams of death

This is also black metal, but more punk-influenced

Impaled Nazarene - We are satans generation

This is also black metal, but very raw and cavernous

Revenant Marquis - Youth in ribbons

And finally, this is melodic black metal. As you can hear an emphasis on melodies and guitar harmonies.

Naglfar - Through the midnight spheres

You can hear how all these songs are different, but they still fall under the black metal umbrella. That's why @GoatmasterGeneral talked about "the finnish sound" etc, because that means that bands from Finland usually have a specific style of doing things. But it's all about what you enjoy.

Like a frog with mental problems hahaha 😂

I think i understand your examples thank you for showing. And so from what i liked and no liked not one of them is all this viking black or classic black or raw black or anything like that, just exactly same category like someone who like one rapper and another one like another rapper both totally same?

And don't forget Daiena, that since English is not your first language, the original cookie monster is a great tool to learn English vocabulary by letter. 

Accept no substitutes. These are the only real cookie monster vocals. But I'm not sure if this is black metal? It doesn't sound very evil.  Can someone please tell me what era this falls into?  I'm really confused.

27 minutes ago, markm said:

And don't forget Daiena, that since English is not your first language, the original cookie monster is a great tool to learn English vocabulary by letter. 

Accept no substitutes. These are the only real cookie monster vocals. But I'm not sure if this is black metal? It doesn't sound very evil.  Can someone please tell me what era this falls into?  

C is for Cookie was 1971, which technically defines first wave death metal. This negates all arguments about whether Possessed or Death released the first death metal album.

If only Tony Iommi had guested on Sesame Street in 1971, we'd have a definitive starting point for death and doom metal. And if Gordon was in the same skit, that would encompass black metal too. 

53 minutes ago, markm said:

Accept no substitutes. These are the only real cookie monster vocals. But I'm not sure if this is black metal? It doesn't sound very evil.  Can someone please tell me what era this falls into?  I'm really confused.

Ok he makes fun of me. 

10 minutes ago, Daiena said:

Ok he makes fun of me. 

He's more making fun of the long-standing and kinda silly debate over where black metal "actually" started, which early bands were "really" black metal, and what counts as first-wave vs. second-wave.

But I think it's obvious that what we can really see from Cookie Monster's historical involvement here is that extreme metal, like everything else, has its roots in the blues.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

3 minutes ago, Daiena said:

But he makes fun my english and my questions but why nobody answer my question, why not Sheol answer what I ask he more than 2 hours ago?

I won't speak for Mark, but from what I've seen he would be the last person here to make fun of your English. I'm sure the language barrier makes things difficult but you're doing fine. If you mean your question about whether your taste in black metal is like enjoying two rappers who have exactly the same style, well, yeah, it does seem like you're gravitating towards a specific sound right now. But there's nothing wrong with that, especially considering you're just starting off. I find myself gravitating towards specific sounds for weeks at a time, or a few months, and then getting back in the mood for something else. You might find out that you're that way... or not! Everybody listens to things differently.

22 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I won't speak for Mark, but from what I've seen he would be the last person here to make fun of your English. I'm sure the language barrier makes things difficult but you're doing fine. If you mean your question about whether your taste in black metal is like enjoying two rappers who have exactly the same style, well, yeah, it does seem like you're gravitating towards a specific sound right now. But there's nothing wrong with that, especially considering you're just starting off. I find myself gravitating towards specific sounds for weeks at a time, or a few months, and then getting back in the mood for something else. You might find out that you're that way... or not! Everybody listens to things differently.

But say what is this sound i gravitatening on you mean?

14 minutes ago, Daiena said:

But say what is this sound i gravitatening on you mean?

A specific vocal sound. Like Sheol said, it seems like you enjoy the higher-pitched, screechy/shrieky vocals more and you don't like the mid-range raspy/croaky vocals as much. There isn't a specific subgenre name for black metal with only the higher-pitched vocals, if that's what you mean, that vocal style can be found over different styles of black metal and even stuff outside of black metal, like screamo and grindcore. Not trying to confuse you or make fun of you here, I think you're best served by just keeping on listening to more music and discovering more about what you like. You might even find yourself coming back to things you didn't like at first, like I said earlier, that happens all the time for me.