The Official Black Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

12 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That's a cover song that they had as a bonus track from a CD they put out a few years ago. Most of their stuff isn't that poppy. Enslaved is one of my favorite bands and some of their older albums are definitely close to "black metal" in sound and delivery if not in theme. I guess if someone had a gun to my head I would have to confess I don't think they're a black metal band, but it shouldn't matter. They embraced the idea of "Viking metal" and got more psychedelic and prog-rock influenced as they went on. No idea if you'd like any of their other stuff but if you enjoy 90s Norwegian BM you may like Vikingligr Veldi and Frost at least. 

Vikingligr Veldi:

Frost:

Although given some of the other stuff you've said you don't like so far, this might not be your cup of tea either. No worries either way.

Repulsion, Suffocation, Assück... you know, deathcore :D

Thank you for videos!

So many groups of music it makes me confused like viking metal i have not heard about.

So i have added my playlist Burzum - hvis lyset tar oss and filosofem album.

Yesterday i listen to Darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky and i think i like it. This is so weird how you dont like songs and then later you like them. I read someone say he listen first time to death metal and he really hated it, then later he start like it and now is death metal fan. He write you cant force yourself in some genre but he did force himself and are death metal fan. For me this is strange, you lie to yourself that you must like something? Strange much but interesting also.

1 hour ago, Daiena said:

Yesterday i listen to Darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky and i think i like it. This is so weird how you dont like songs and then later you like them. I read someone say he listen first time to death metal and he really hated it, then later he start like it and now is death metal fan. He write you cant force yourself in some genre but he did force himself and are death metal fan. For me this is strange, you lie to yourself that you must like something? Strange much but interesting also.

That's the story of my life listening to metal. Most of my favorites didn't click immediately and sometimes it's taken me years to get into something. I wouldn't call it "lying to myself" - there's always something that keeps me coming back even if I'm not sure exactly what it is. And sometimes I just haven't heard an album for 10 or 20 years and when I go back to it I find that my taste has completely changed.

48 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That's the story of my life listening to metal. Most of my favorites didn't click immediately and sometimes it's taken me years to get into something. I wouldn't call it "lying to myself" - there's always something that keeps me coming back even if I'm not sure exactly what it is. And sometimes I just haven't heard an album for 10 or 20 years and when I go back to it I find that my taste has completely changed.

This really interesting maybe taste change in life i dont know but what metal you like most?

So much depends on your age/experience, what you're doing and feeling at the time you hear something, how it's presented to you, etc. Food is a great comparison. I've hated tomatoes all my life. Tried to eat on in the school cafeteria around 5-6 years old. Got sick. Never looked at another one until recently. Tried it mainly to avoid aggravating my wife (which is normally my favorite thing to do in life) and found them tolerable. Not tasty mind you but tolerable. Different experience in a different time produced different results.

100%. Your state of mind, and even the gear your using-earbuds, stereo, headphones, in your car/truck all make a difference to me. Some metal is so poorly recorded or compressed and loud, headphones sound better to me while other stuff with a ton of low end benefit from speakers that actually reproduce bass. I find a lot of doom needs speakers to really get the impact. Stuff like that. I often find black metal is a hot mess on my stereo but sounds much better on my headphones. 

Yes an also my dad said when older you change smell sense also and for example can start dislike perfume.

Me i love perfume, i always use opium and black opium perfume and i like them smell more heavy than summer light. I think with food i will never change, i hate most of food like seafood, pig meat, soups, vegetables, cheese and much more i no eat. I see one video from metallica nothing else matters, i dont like them much buuuut there is one member who play on bass in that video he have same hair as me shave on sides and long up only difference he is a man an im a girl and i have black hair but i laugh so much see this and i think from year 1990 or something so its old too 😂

14 hours ago, navybsn said:

Squishabug sucks. The demo was ok, but the full length felt like a bunch of filler tracks. Frozen Soul is solid Bolt Thrower worship, but forgettable.

Agreed on both. They seem to have lost a fair chunk of their roster to bigger labels too. Except for about 3 or 4 bands, most of what they've got left seems pretty meh.

4 hours ago, Daiena said:

So i have added my playlist Burzum - hvis lyset tar oss and filosofem album.

I was very much like that with black metal when I first listened to it. Didn't understand the appeal, and couldn't find a way to connect with it. For some reason I kept coming back and trying it again, over and over. It was actually when I heard the Immortal song "Where Dark and Light Don't Differ" that everything finally came together. Looking back, that's not really a traditional black metal song, more melodic and very thrash-based (with a fucking killer hook on the chorus), but after that clicked the other bands all started working for me too.

...and on the viking metal thing, don't worry about the details too much. You'll often see terms like viking metal or pagan metal, but a lot of that is just a hold over from the early days when black metal was called black metal because the songs were about Satan/Devil Worship/Etc. Viking metal is called viking metal because it's songs about vikings/Norse myths that kind of thing. Pagan metal is called pagan metal because the songs are about per-christian history/religion. Musically, there isn't a whole lot of difference, though some pagan and viking bands like to mix folk music or instruments into their stuff

45 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

was very much like that with black metal when I first listened to it. Didn't understand the appeal, and couldn't find a way to connect with it. For some reason I kept coming back and trying it again, over and over. It was actually when I heard the Immortal song "Where Dark and Light Don't Differ" that everything finally came together. Looking back, that's not really a traditional black metal song, more melodic and very thrash-based (with a fucking killer hook on the chorus), but after that clicked the other bands all started working for me too.

Wow this fascinating how mind can change to music. Maybe I was lucky or something because I never listened to metal before in my life what I can remember and like it very much directly. But sometimes I have the music play in my airpods when I’m doing things and I notice I not listen active it’s just playing while I make food or make up or clean or anything normal, so I must say to myself to listen and focus on song

Hi so i have listened to Darkthrone that didnt click with me at first, but i have found 3 albums from them that i like

Transilvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust and A Blaze in the Northern Sky.  Best i like Transilvanian and Panzerfaust.

I like Burzum more than Darkthrone i think. Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is really good.

From Finland band i like Satanic Warmaster, Behexen, Sargeist and Azaghal. Also i like Horna album Split and i have not listened yet to their other albums.

Mayhem i have not get into yet but their album The Mysteriis Dom Sathanas have not click with me so i like Deathcrush more.

I see all albums have only 8 songs or less for all bands and idk why this.

17 hours ago, Daiena said:

Yes an also my dad said when older you change smell sense also and for example can start dislike perfume.

Me i love perfume, i always use opium and black opium perfume and i like them smell more heavy than summer light. I think with food i will never change, i hate most of food like seafood, pig meat, soups, vegetables, cheese and much more i no eat. I see one video from metallica nothing else matters, i dont like them much buuuut there is one member who play on bass in that video he have same hair as me shave on sides and long up only difference he is a man an im a girl and i have black hair but i laugh so much see this and i think from year 1990 or something so its old too 😂

God damnit, hahaha.

The bass player you mention is Jason Newstedt and is argubly the coolest member of Metallica. Obviously, he got fired. "Nothing else matters" is really a poor representation of Metallica, though it's one of their most-played songs. But you can never go wrong with 80's Metallica.

Metallica - Creeping death

Adn yes, it's funny how tastes change. When I first heard My Dying Bride's "Turn loose the Swans" I didn't like it at all except for one song (Sear me MCMXCIII). I though it was slow and boring and weird vocals. Then one night I was feeling quite miserble and was listening while reading the lyrics and really paying attention and suddenly it all clicked. It was an almost overwhelming surge of emotion. Catharsis. I think it was a combination of my emotional state and me growin older and being more patient and receptive to slow music

1 hour ago, Sheol said:

When I first heard My Dying Bride's "Turn loose the Swans" I didn't like it at all except for one song (Sear me MCMXCIII). I though it was slow and boring and weird vocals. Then one night I was feeling quite miserble and was listening while reading the lyrics and really paying attention and suddenly it all clicked. It was an almost overwhelming surge of emotion. Catharsis. I think it was a combination of my emotional state and me growin older and being more patient and receptive to slow music

I had a similar conversion to that album. Although for me it happened walking around somewhere nice with headphones on - I guess I was in a less critical mindset, and could enjoy the awkward songwriting more because I knew what to expect. Sometimes it helps to be "primed" for an album before I can fully come around to it.

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

The bass player you mention is Jason Newstedt and is argubly the coolest member of Metallica. Obviously, he got fired. "Nothing else matters" is really a poor representation of Metallica, though it's one of their most-played songs. But you can never go wrong with 80's Metallica.

I read that they bully him and say he was goofy so if this is true i dont like bullies so much an also the singer in Metallica said he did really sweat on the scene so he must have been good than.

This hair what he have from 3:24 i have had last years maybe 3 years i shave sides and keep long up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGnKpE4NCI

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

When I first heard My Dying Bride's "Turn loose the Swans" I

But this band is black metal? I listen it now but sounds little different or this is early band?

31 minutes ago, Daiena said:

But this band is black metal? I listen it now but sounds little different or this is early band?

No, My Dying Bride is one of the foundational doom metal band. Doom is characterized by slow, heavy riffs, a bleak and melancholic atmosphere and either clean or growled vocals. The tempo usually range from slow to ultra-slow (then it's usually called Funeral doom). If you're interested you can hop over to the doom metal thread here and explore that.

9 minutes ago, Sheol said:

No, My Dying Bride is one of the foundational doom metal band. Doom is characterized by slow, heavy riffs, a bleak and melancholic atmosphere and either clean or growled vocals. The tempo usually range from slow to ultra-slow (then it's usually called Funeral doom). If you're interested you can hop over to the doom metal thread here and explore that.

I find on spotify doom metal playlist and its nice but little feels like listen to radio slower music for me, maybe if want to calm before sleep this works good?

Okey so i will share my playlist and this is what i have found and what i think is really good and listen to always, more can come later but here we gooooo 😈

Bathory - Under the sign of the Black Mark

Darkthrone - A blaze in the Northern Sky

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Azaghal - Nemesis

Sargeist - Let the Devil In

Behexen - Rituale Satanum

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Burzum - Aske

Burzum - Filosofem

Satanic Warmaster but need to listen on youtube for fucking dumb spotify have not them

Hey Daiena, before you write Metallica off, their earlier stuff is a lot better. Check out the album,  Ride the Lightning.  That's my favorite of theirs.

You also might want to listen to some black metal that came out in 2021 if you haven't already. When I was getting into extreme metal, I found it good to see what was coming out in the current year as well as going back to the classics. 

27 minutes ago, markm said:

Hey Daiena, before you write Metallica off, their earlier stuff is a lot better. Check out the album,  Ride the Lightning.  That's my favorite of theirs.

You also might want to listen to some black metal that came out in 2021 if you haven't already. When I was getting into extreme metal, I found it good to see what was coming out in the current year as well as going back to the classics. 

I will check Metallica out then. Okey from 2021 I have not listened to yet but I’m gonna find and see if it’s good 😊 

25 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Try Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon as well. Think you'll find that album fits in with the other three you enjoy

Mm I didn’t click so much with the that album, for me I think Transilvanian Hunger is best and then Panzerfaust but maybe if I listen to that album I will like it 🤔

9 minutes ago, Daiena said:

I will check Metallica out then. Okey from 2021 I have not listened to yet but I’m gonna find and see if it’s good 😊 

Mm I didn’t click so much with the that album, for me I think Transilvanian Hunger is best and then Panzerfaust but maybe if I listen to that album I will like it 🤔

Some of the 2021 BM I've enjoyed would go in this order:

• Try Funeral Mist/Deiform
  • paysage d'hiver/ geister
  • Spectral Wound/A Diabolical Thirst
  • Lamp of Murmor/Submission And Slavery
  • Archgoat/Worship the Eternal Dark (blackened death metal)
  • Plebeian Grandstand/Rien ne suffit-this one is very weird and experimental-you probably won't like this one. But it's good to know it's out there-"avant-garde" that often tries to create atmospheres of insanity, madness, mental illness, stuff like that...

The rest of the guys will have a bunch more underground stuff.

There was a lot of atmospheric black metal but it will probably have too much "pretty sounding" parts mixed in.  Atmoblack is a big thing now has longer passages with folk, ambient, electronic, drone and epic cosmic sounds. But some of it can be be nasty and viscous as well.  

18 minutes ago, Daiena said:

But have all the classic stop making new songs? 

No definitely not all. When I say the classics I just mean the original older albums and bands-Darkthrone, Bathory, Burzum  Immortal, Enslaved, Satyricon, Gorgoroth etc. 

Many continue but have changed their sound. Most bands in all of metal start young and heavier and then get less heavy as they age.  Some go more progressive and some stop playing metal and play more of a form of heavy rock. Some stay heavy but most change their style somewhat. 

But you know....new young bands come along every year. That's how it goes.